Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
I am having a horrible car buying dilemma. I was set on a particular 07 Z4M Coupe but that fell through, and now I am rethinking my options, which are currently:

07 Z4 M Coupe (a different one) - http://goo.gl/3h4NY
10 135i M Sport 6MT CPO - http://goo.gl/bAvQb
08-09 135i Sport 6MT (a few cars) - http://goo.gl/4I49f - http://goo.gl/Rn0EY
05 M3 Convertible 6MT - http://goo.gl/F2xi6
Track down a lower mileage E46 M3 6MT Coupe (which is proving to be incredibly difficult)

I previously owned a 2010 135i with a regular sport package, not the M Sport, and I loved it, but I got bored of it which is why I traded it in. Thinking about it now I'm all excited about owning another one but I'm worried about getting bored with it right away. One is CPO with 40k miles and is the only car I'm looking at with a warranty, which makes me think I should go with it, but I make bad decisions so I'm not convinced. Asking price: $29.75k with CPO. $23-26k for 08-09 without CPO.

There are a few other Z4 M Coupes around. One private party one with 42k miles with an asking price of $28.5k. Black on black, all service records. One at a dealership up in seattle with 51k, silver on black, with an asking price of $29.95k, but I think I can get that price down a bit. One is a private party one owner car with 56k miles and a binder full of service records, asking $28.9k but I think I can get him down as well, as the car as a couple door dings/light scratches.

The 05 M3 Convertible is for sale private party by a guy local to me. It looks gorgeous inside and out, silver exterior, black interior, only mods are exhaust related with stock parts included. Car has 65k miles, all service records including inspection II at 60k miles, clean carfax, and newish michelin PSS tires. Asking price: $23.3k

What do I do??

edited to add links to the cars I'm talking about

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Z3M Coupe is the best answer. Every time.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

Z3M Coupe is the best answer. Every time.

You'll be the fastest hairdresser on your block!

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
I owned an S52 Z3 M Coupe a few years ago, it was such a great car, but other than looks the Z4 M Coupe is better in almost every way. A S54 M Coupe on the other hand....

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
The Z4 M coupe is the winner on performance and handling there, around 250lbs lighter than an E46 M3.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

omgitstheinternet posted:

I previously owned a 2010 135i with a regular sport package, not the M Sport, and I loved it, but I got bored of it which is why I traded it in.

The M Sport package doesn't inclue anything but nicer seats/trim, so if you were bored with the car before you'll still be bored and should toss the idea of another 135i.

Personally I can't stand the looks of the e46 convertible, so I'd be looking for a coupe and waiting for the right one. I think the Z4 M Coupe is an interesting car though. I wouldn't think twice about going to look at a few of those.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Viper_3000 posted:

The M Sport package doesn't inclue anything but nicer seats/trim, so if you were bored with the car before you'll still be bored and should toss the idea of another 135i.

Personally I can't stand the looks of the e46 convertible, so I'd be looking for a coupe and waiting for the right one. I think the Z4 M Coupe is an interesting car though. I wouldn't think twice about going to look at a few of those.

... On the same subject is there a difference between M Sport Seats and the Sport Package Seats?

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Tab8715 posted:

... On the same subject is there a difference between M Sport Seats and the Sport Package Seats?

They're the same seats.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
X post from post your own ride

The low angles are hiding tree sap, not bad paint.. I just didn't have wax handy so I left most of it alone for now.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I owned an S52 Z3 M Coupe a few years ago, it was such a great car, but other than looks the Z4 M Coupe is better in almost every way. A S54 M Coupe on the other hand....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...ht_25254wt_1002

S54 Z3 M coupe, about 5k more than the rest of those cars, but it is $5000 better imo.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
I know it's all subjective but z4m coupes look like a clown shoe and z3m coupes are one of the sexier bmw's of their era.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I forgot how terrible the CDV is. I don't really want to crack open the hydrualics on my new e46 already but it makes it so hard to drive properly.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Drunken Lullabies posted:

I know it's all subjective but z4m coupes look like a clown shoe and z3m coupes are one of the sexier bmw's of their era.

You seem to have gotten the digits 3 and 4 confused. Sorry to break the bad news.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

I previously owned a 2010 135i with a regular sport package, not the M Sport, and I loved it, but I got bored of it which is why I traded it in.

The real question here is why you got bored of it? If you're a "power guy" was it the novelty of the 300hp wearing off? If you like track days, did you explore adding a real limited slip to the axle? If you like stancing, did you just get tired of the looks?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Stardotstar posted:

The real question here is why you got bored of it? If you're a "power guy" was it the novelty of the 300hp wearing off? If you like track days, did you explore adding a real limited slip to the axle? If you like stancing, did you just get tired of the looks?
I'm a 'corners guy' who's pondering shuffling off my E36 M3/4 daily driver for something else with some more power, but everything that I've tried so far has just missed the mark. I thought that an E39 540i/6 might fit the bill, but drat, it was easy to get the sense that I was over-driving what the tires could handle just on a little 10m test drive. When the tires are *howling* and you're just making a left-merge onto a 55 mph stretch of 4-lane road...not a good sign. I got back into the M3 and just loved the 'tossability' - the way it feels light and balanced, and will handle just about anything I throw at it with little to no complaint.

I love the look of the Z4, but I'm not sure that it's got enough practicality/grocery getter capability. (I test drove a Crossfire at one point. NO storage at all. I have trouble believing that the Z4 has appreciably more than that...

Any suggestions?

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 13, 2013

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
New car:

Kinda felt like I was ripping him off at 5500 but he wanted to get rid of it quickly.

Kenny Rogers posted:

I'm a 'corners guy' who's pondering shuffling off my E36 M3/4 daily driver for something else with some more power, but everything that I've tried so far has just missed the mark. I thought that an E39 540i/6 might fit the bill, but drat, it was easy to get the sense that I was over-driving what the tires could handle just on a little 10m test drive. When the tires are *howling* and you're just making a left-merge onto a 55 mph stretch of 4-lane road...not a good sign. I got back into the M3 and just loved the 'tossability' - the way it feels light and balanced, and will handle just about anything I throw at it with little to no complaint.

I love the look of the Z4, but I'm not sure that it's got enough practicality/grocery getter capability. (I test drove a Crossfire at one point. NO storage at all. I have trouble believing that the Z4 has appreciably more than that...

Any suggestions?

S54 swap :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Crustashio posted:

New car:

Kinda felt like I was ripping him off at 5500 but he wanted to get rid of it quickly.

Looking like that and with that kind of mileage, you did rip him off at that price. That car is easily worth $7000 or so - maybe more...as long as there isn't anything mechanically wrong with it.

Titan E46 coupe buddies :hf:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 13, 2013

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Lightbulb Out posted:

The rubber band inside the cassette player has broken. You can tear it apart and replace it with a rubber band, but it doesn't work very well and it's a pain in the rear end. I would advise replacing the unit.

^^^

This -- the rubber band dry rots and breaks after years of extreme heat. They are not easy to replace on most headunits, but sometimes you get lucky -- I've found old Sony cassette units are relatively easy to repair as are the old GM Delco double-DIN units they used through most of the 80s and 90s. You can also send the deck out for repair, however the repair rates are usually more than buying a new unit.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Kenny Rogers posted:

Any suggestions?

You can fit groceries inside a Z4 assuming you go to the store like once a week and don't ever go to Costco :v:

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
So I bit the bullet last week and bought a 328i Convertible. I'm sure it's not the most amazing BMW ever, but it was in my price range, I paid cash, and it's mine. It's the first real decent car I've ever owned, and I'm having a blast driving it. I can honestly say I never enjoyed the act of driving until I took it for a spin. Now when I get off of work I get tempted to pass up the turn for my neighborhood and just keep cruising. :feelsgood:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So I'm hearing a strange thing on my car. I just drove down to Portland from Seattle and when idling it's making a moderately rapid clicking sound. At higher revs the clicking sound goes much faster. The heat levels seem fine and I'm still 1500 miles away from even being close to due for an oil change (I've been doing them around ever 3500 miles).

'99 E36 M3, 153xxx miles.

Any idea what might be going on? Is it going to hurt my car to drive it back to Seattle on Sunday?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Kenshin posted:

So I'm hearing a strange thing on my car. I just drove down to Portland from Seattle and when idling it's making a moderately rapid clicking sound. At higher revs the clicking sound goes much faster. The heat levels seem fine and I'm still 1500 miles away from even being close to due for an oil change (I've been doing them around ever 3500 miles).

'99 E36 M3, 153xxx miles.

Any idea what might be going on? Is it going to hurt my car to drive it back to Seattle on Sunday?

So what you're saying is the sound is RPM-dependent? Check your oil level. Also what weight oil are you running and what temps were you seeing during the trip?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Crustashio posted:

New car:

S54 swap :v:

That looks fantastic. My E39 is feeling a bit large, I'm thinking E46 if it ever gets wrecked or something. Though I'll miss the V8 surely.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SuperDucky posted:

So what you're saying is the sound is RPM-dependent? Check your oil level. Also what weight oil are you running and what temps were you seeing during the trip?

temps have been totally normal the whole trip, but I checked the oil level anyway and it did seem a bit low, so I just bought a quart of the Mobile 1 0w40 my mechanic puts in and the clicks are (maybe?) quieting down. I'm actually sitting in the parking lot of the auto parts store as I type this. I'll drive a few miles and see how it sounds but it does seems like the clicks are quieting down as the oil gets through the system.

Not sure how the oil level dropped so much, it doesn't normally do that. Maybe it's all the driving in hot weather the last few weeks.

Edit: yep, that did the trick. Few miles later and the clicking is gone!

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 13, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Backov posted:

You'll be the fastest hairdresser on your block!

Z3's have never had that stigma.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I believe in sharing failures as well as victories. Driving to the store this morning, the E39 started making GBS threads out _badly_. It would barely run, kept stalling, and would only rev up slightly once I came off heavy throttle. Fortunately it died in a construction zone and it's Saturday, so I had a place to park it.

Panicking, I had my wife pick me up and brought a pile of tools and a gas can back. This fuckin' krautsled... I knew from its feel that it was some sort of fuel delivery or intake issue. I unplugged the MAF - no change. Replugged it and applied 1.5 gallons of 91 octane. Started after a few seconds of coughing.

I feel like such a jackass. It even said "18 MI" on the readout and the gauge was not pinned on E! I normally keep it higher, but got lazy after work last night and didn't refill. Going to put it through paces this weekend to make sure it wasn't something else, but I think i'm okay for now.

Funny thing, it's had a slight low idle since I got it 3000 miles ago, and normally sits around 450-500 with the a/c off, and on the way home it suddenly had a perfect 600/700 smooth idle (air off/air on). Wondering if the MAF unplug caused it to recalibrate something.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Washed the M3 and took it for a drive to get some photos for me, post your ride thread and insurance. My faith in humanity and patience was tested way too much for a simple task on a nice day.

Finish taking shots as a E46 M3 rolls in. Owner wanders over and asks me why I felt the need to ruin a nice looking E30 with a "stupid body kit and wing". Even after showing her the manual and supplemental M owners handbook she wouldn't believe it was built that way. According to her "and everyone who knows anything about BMW's the E36 was the first generation." WTF she cares about the cars enough to know the chassis codes but had never heard of a E30 M3?

On the way home a Z4M owner almost caused an accident doing a double take, trying to get a photo, giving me a thumbs up and trying to point out the car to his wife. I turned around, caught up and we talked BMW's for a bit. Will laugh if the photos of the cars next to each other pop up on here but I doubt it.

Car rolled over 80k today, back in the garage with 80013 miles.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Owner wanders over and asks me why I felt the need to ruin a nice looking E30 with a "stupid body kit and wing". Even after showing her the manual and supplemental M owners handbook she wouldn't believe it was built that way. According to her "and everyone who knows anything about BMW's the E36 was the first generation." WTF she cares about the cars enough to know the chassis codes but had never heard of a E30 M3?

Even ignoring that idiot's ignoring of the owners manual and general lack of knowledge this is dumb as gently caress because E30 M3s look loving awesome.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Exactly how the hell is this "ruined"

and just realized the camera wasn't set to max resolution...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

It's ruined by not being mine, that's how.

Also in regard to your new "friend" admonishing your car, I'll bet she's probably had a nasty surprise after firing up Google by now.

:smug: Boy I sure told off that E30 driver for ruining his car today...let's Google this non-existant "E30 M3" and laugh again at just how wrong he - :stare:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

You could literally post a photo of your car in every thread in AI and nobody would be mad. It's like a puppy, somehow it makes everything seems right in this world.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Blacked out the kidneys on the M3 today. I wanted to see if I liked the black look before spending $$$ on a satin black or carbon grille, so I plasti-dipped it. Turned out pretty good for doing it in the back alley.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Hi, this may not be the best place to ask, but I'm going to do an unnecessary oil change.

Any recommendation on what brand and weight I might lean towards for my 1983 633CSi? I'm in Oregon, so it's a warm dry summer for a couple more months.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cobalt60 posted:

Hi, this may not be the best place to ask, but I'm going to do an unnecessary oil change.

Any recommendation on what brand and weight I might lean towards for my 1983 633CSi? I'm in Oregon, so it's a warm dry summer for a couple more months.

If I recall correctly, Rotella T is a great choice. It contains lots of ZDDP's and lots of detergents. Its a fairly old low tech engine and low tech engines love the higher zinc content to keep the cams in good shape. I know its a diesel oil, but it works well.

During the summer you can easily run 15-40w with no issues.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Blacked out the kidneys on the M3 today. I wanted to see if I liked the black look before spending $$$ on a satin black or carbon grille, so I plasti-dipped it. Turned out pretty good for doing it in the back alley.

Did you remove the grilles to paint them? If not, be mindful that they are a real bitch. Also, the OE shadow chrome pieces are the pieces to get, not gloss black (this is so that in the likely situation where you swap out the side grilles to the black option, they'll match.)

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
I found this: http://goo.gl/FNP33. 2007 Z4 M Coupe, 55k miles. I drove it, it looked and drove great, like a brand new car. Then i checked the carfax and saw it was in an accident a couple years ago. If it checks out fine in a PPI that all the damage was fixed with quality workmanship and that it's all good now, is it worth it? That price is really hard to say no to, at $3-4k less than any other Z4 M I've seen.

edit: Also this: http://goo.gl/zW37z. Phoenix Yellow 05 M3 Coupe 6MT. It has the grey interior that I hate, but that phoenix yellow is just so ugly that I can't help but love it. Clean carfax, relatively low miles, looks good in the pictures. I think I'll take a trip up to look at it this week.

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 14, 2013

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

I found this: http://goo.gl/FNP33. 2007 Z4 M Coupe, 55k miles. I drove it, it looked and drove great, like a brand new car. Then i checked the carfax and saw it was in an accident a couple years ago. If it checks out fine in a PPI that all the damage was fixed with quality workmanship and that it's all good now, is it worth it? That price is really hard to say no to, at $3-4k less than any other Z4 M I've seen.

edit: Also this: http://goo.gl/zW37z. Phoenix Yellow 05 M3 Coupe 6MT. It has the grey interior that I hate, but that phoenix yellow is just so ugly that I can't help but love it. Clean carfax, relatively low miles, looks good in the pictures. I think I'll take a trip up to look at it this week.

Honestly, between these two (assuming the M3 checks out) I'd just buy whichever you like more. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I don't mind cars that have been in an accident, though I make sure they have a thorough PPI. My 323 was in an accident before I got it, but it was fixed with quality parts and the paint was matched well. I haven't had any problems with it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Nice. I did this to my e46 kidneys well over a year ago and they still look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Cobalt60 posted:

I put Mobil 1 15w50 in my '86 528e year round, and I'm in Seattle. Wal-Mart sells 5 quart jugs for $25 or less, and it's got plenty of ZDDP, as it's made for flat tappet applications.

Run by an actual auto parts store and pick up whatever Wix filter goes on your 6er, Wal-Mart only sells fram poo poo.

In other news, I spent the day doing a bunch of little things to the 528e in preparation for a future sale. The biggest bitch was pulling the rear bumper to realign the rubber bump strip, as some yahoo nudged it and pulled out it of alignment. Had to fight through 27 years of road gunk, and only managed to get poo poo in my mouth once. Mmm, tastes like superior German engineering.

I am perplexed by one issue though. The service indicator refuses to stay reset. I've done the battery replacement fix, and that worked for a few months. I checked, and the batteries are still good. As far as I know, the si board only triggers alerts based off mileage and fuel economy (higher avg = shorter service intervals), so it's not actually talking to the OBC to pull fault codes or anything. WTF?!

Wombot fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 14, 2013