Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

jackpot posted:

I just posted something on Facebook, on a company's public page, and a few minutes later one of my friends "liked" it because I guess it showed up in her news feed or something. It's not that I said anything embarrassing, but the idea of friends seeing stuff I'm posting away from my own wall bugs the poo poo out of me. Can I turn that off? Why are my friends seeing posts I've made on walls they're not even affiliated with? Why am I still on Facebook at all?

I think the only way you can hide it is to go into your activity log and click the X on your comment and it should show you a "hide from timeline" option. So it won't show up on your friends' news feeds. I don't think there's a blanket option to block all of them though, you'd have to do it comment by comment.

Facebook pretty much assumes you want to share everything so you either put up with it or delete your account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So, I've got an underwater camera casing that I'll be traveling with for the first time next week. I feel like I need to be super careful with it, because there's no covering for the glass lens (see picture below).

Any ideas on how I can protect the lens? I'm sure there's some official bullshit I could buy, but a) I don't have time to get something shipped here before I need to leave, and b) it's probably expensive as all hell. So how could I jerry rig something? Either a lens covering that wouldn't itself damage the lens, or some kind of container for the whole casing.

Quills
Mar 24, 2007
I was scheduled to have jury duty tomorrow in Maryland. I called into the hotline and my number is not in the range they are calling. Will I have technically "served" or is there a possibility I can be randomly selected again in the near future?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Quills posted:

I was scheduled to have jury duty tomorrow in Maryland. I called into the hotline and my number is not in the range they are calling. Will I have technically "served" or is there a possibility I can be randomly selected again in the near future?

Not sure about MD, but in NJ that counts as serving.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

So, I've got an underwater camera casing that I'll be traveling with for the first time next week. I feel like I need to be super careful with it, because there's no covering for the glass lens (see picture below).

Any ideas on how I can protect the lens? I'm sure there's some official bullshit I could buy, but a) I don't have time to get something shipped here before I need to leave, and b) it's probably expensive as all hell. So how could I jerry rig something? Either a lens covering that wouldn't itself damage the lens, or some kind of container for the whole casing.

Wait, that lens piece isn't sealed? Seems a bit risky to your camera's electrical components. As for jerry-rigging something together, is it worth it? I'd not personally risk damaging an expensive camera of mine, and I assume your camera is also expensive.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Why don't you just carry the camera as you normally would, with the lens covered, and also bring the underwater case?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CatchrNdRy posted:

I have this feeling that if I'm logged on to a 3rd world internet cafe, I will have issues buying things online from US based websites, having a US account. Is this true?

As others have said, you should be fine unless there are other factors to make them think the order looks fishy. But if you're concerned about that sort of thing, there are fairly simple ways to tunnel your connection so it looks like it's coming from elsewhere in the world. VPNs are pretty cheap (there's a goon-run one down in SA-Mart) and an SSH tunnel back to your home computer is free, if you're technical enough to learn how to set it up.

Goldfinch
Feb 15, 2013

big-boned :colbert:

Schweinhund posted:

Not sure about MD, but in NJ that counts as serving.

On the other hand, in Michigan, I got called for jury duty in May, never served, and immediately got another jury questionnaire in the mail at the very end of that month. The question on the form that would have gotten me out of it was "were you paid for attending jury duty in the past year" or something, so it only applied to people who actually had to go to the courthouse. I guess it really varies state-to-state? Any day now, I'm going to be up for another potential month of jury duty... :(

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Is there any way for me to follow someone's Instagram feed via Feedly or other RSS reader?

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 12, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

jackpot posted:

I just posted something on Facebook, on a company's public page, and a few minutes later one of my friends "liked" it because I guess it showed up in her news feed or something. It's not that I said anything embarrassing, but the idea of friends seeing stuff I'm posting away from my own wall bugs the poo poo out of me.

You posted a public message on a public page and you're annoyed that other people can see it?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Loopyface posted:

Why don't you just carry the camera as you normally would, with the lens covered, and also bring the underwater case?

Ok, I should have made clear that the camera (not pictured, actually taking the picture you see) is not the problem, but I'm just worried about the glass "window" of the casing (which I am calling a "lens") getting scratched.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Ok, I should have made clear that the camera (not pictured, actually taking the picture you see) is not the problem, but I'm just worried about the glass "window" of the casing (which I am calling a "lens") getting scratched.

Even if the lens cover gets scratched -- and odds are that it won't get scratched to any significant degree from just carrying it around -- it most likely won't affect pictures unless you've completely destroyed it, at which point I'd be more worried about water than scratches.

http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Tiggum posted:

You posted a public message on a public page and you're annoyed that other people can see it?
Hes annoyed that facebook announces it on his friends newsfeed. Its probably a comment that has a context for his coworkers, but none at all with his other friend.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Plastic bag and a rubber band going around the just the lens? Wont protect it against big scratches but should be fine for the wear and tear scratches.

Cage fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 12, 2013

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Goldfinch posted:

Any day now, I'm going to be up for another potential month of jury duty... :(

What is so bad about jury duty? I see it often as a joke on American sit coms (even The Simpsons, when Apu got his US citizanship, the first thing he did was throw his summons in the trash!).

I've worked as a lay judge here in Denmark for 5 years now and it's always interesting. It's a civic duty, you know? :sparkles:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

brylcreem posted:

What is so bad about jury duty? I see it often as a joke on American sit coms (even The Simpsons, when Apu got his US citizanship, the first thing he did was throw his summons in the trash!).

I've worked as a lay judge here in Denmark for 5 years now and it's always interesting. It's a civic duty, you know? :sparkles:

Being forced to stop your day-to-day routine, in lieu of sitting on your backside all day in a jury trial that can last months, as well as having your pay lowered, is what is so bad about it, afaik? I'm not American, but I'm taking a wild guess.

I wouldn't want to be on jury duty, it must be mind-numbingly boring.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Loopoo posted:

Being forced to stop your day-to-day routine, in lieu of sitting on your backside all day in a jury trial that can last months, as well as having your pay lowered, is what is so bad about it, afaik? I'm not American, but I'm taking a wild guess.

I wouldn't want to be on jury duty, it must be mind-numbingly boring.

I was on 5 day jury once and thought it would suck. It was a drug and evading arrest case. It was interesting despite being a common crime. Every side had a surprising perspective and there were many extenuating factors to consider.

It sounds cliche, but you literally have someone's life in your hands. Luckily movies and news HAVE NOT desensitized me. The power to determine someone's fate rested heavily on my soul. You are seeing the power of government move is natural form, not through punditry or 2nd hand internet stories. To think critically and through the eyes of the law, is NOT the same as guessing the ending of a movie or thinking about crimes in the media.

I was most impressed by the jury weeding out process, the judge and lawyers widdled down the haters, and the remaining jury was quite conscientious and intelligent.

The judge chatted with us after the fact, like a director after a movie debut.

So do your duty fellow Americans, it can be quite rewarding :patriot:

(it also helped I got my regular pay from work in addition the 12 bux a day)

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 12, 2013

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
What the hell is going on with Google Maps? StreetView keeps blurring out random objects like lampposts and trees.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 12, 2013

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

CatchrNdRy posted:

I was on 5 day jury once and thought it would suck. It was a drug and evading arrest case. It was interesting despite being a common crime. Every side had a surprising perspective and there were many extenuating factors to consider.

It sounds cliche, but you literally have someone's life in your hands. Luckily movies and news HAVE NOT desensitized me. The power to determine someone's fate rested heavily on my soul. You are seeing the power of government move is natural form, not through punditry or 2nd hand internet stories. To think critically and through the eyes of the law, is NOT the same as guessing the ending of a movie or thinking about crimes in the media.

I was most impressed by the jury weeding out process, the judge and lawyers widdled down the haters, and the remaining jury was quite conscientious and intelligent.

The judge chatted with us after the fact, like a director after a movie debut.

So do your duty fellow Americans, it can be quite rewarding :patriot:

(it also helped I got my regular pay from work in addition the 12 bux a day)

I was on a 4-day jury for a drunk driving case once. The weeding-out process was a joke - the defense objected to literally every potential juror, and then picked the youngest whitest male-est crowd it could without cause. (The prosecution did not object to any juror.) The prosecution's case was "He blew a .21." The defense's case boiled down to, "... but you can't really trust machines, can you?" (We decided that yes, you could.)

What struck me was the route mechanical-ness of it all. The prosecutor had to refer to her files to keep track which drunk driving case she was working on, but had the part where she questioned witnesses (the arresting officer, the woman from the lab, the technician who serviced the breathalyzer) down pat. The public defender argued passionately, like a high-school actor might be passionate in a high-school play. As I recall, she barely referenced anything particular to her client's case, preferring to stick to things which might apply to any drunk-driving case. There was a vague animosity between the two in-court, but literally minutes after the jury decided on a verdict and court was adjourned, I saw the two of them chatting congenially. It was clear that they knew each other, and were on friendly terms.

I was in a position where I was okay with juror-wages; my company had just gone under, and I wasn't working anyway. There was one person on the jury who seemed like she was actually undergoing a serious financial hardship by missing 4 days pay. I still feel bad that she had to be there.

It was an interesting experience, to be sure. Not sure I'd be super-stoked to repeat it, though. The worst part, by far, was sitting around in the jury-pool room doing nothing for two days beforehand, waiting for them to call my name.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gravity Pike posted:

It was an interesting experience, to be sure. Not sure I'd be super-stoked to repeat it, though. The worst part, by far, was sitting around in the jury-pool room doing nothing for two days beforehand, waiting for them to call my name.

It's not that way here. You get called in a couple of months in advance, and then you participate in all the scheduled trials (beginning) that day. For example, I'm scheduled to appear in the beginning of October.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

brylcreem posted:

There is no legal requirement for your employer to pay you for it here, and it usually pays a very small amount of money ($15 a day in California, for instance). So, it's essentially days of work you miss out on.

That being said, people shouldn't try to dodge it, because it is your civic duty, and if it were me, I would much rather appear in front of a diverse jury than a bunch of old, retired fuckheads.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't want to create a whole thread to ask a single question in IYG, so I'm asking here - does anyone know of a megathread dealing with CCTV/home security IP cameras all and sundry? I'm not having any luck finding one and I'd really like to have a few well rounded opinions and ideas that would come from such a thread. And, in a kind of rule 34 esque way, if I can think of it, it surely exists.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Squish posted:

I don't want to create a whole thread to ask a single question in IYG, so I'm asking here - does anyone know of a megathread dealing with CCTV/home security IP cameras all and sundry? I'm not having any luck finding one and I'd really like to have a few well rounded opinions and ideas that would come from such a thread. And, in a kind of rule 34 esque way, if I can think of it, it surely exists.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547030

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you sir. I would have never thought to look in A/T.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
If an ancient amphora (of the shape shown in the top right picture on this wikipedia page and about four feet tall) were to be partially filled with coins, how full could it be in order to still allow it to function as a basic flotation device for a grown man? Assuming the amphora has a watertight seal. It doesn't have to support his whole weight, just enough to keep itself afloat and something for a near drowning guy to get at least some support from.

And yes, I do realise how oddly specific this question is. But I'd value anyone with the basic grasp on physics that I so dearly miss to make sure I don't write complete bullshit.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Something floats if its weight is less than the weight of the water it displaces. A 39-liter container displaces 39Kg of water plus the volume of the container walls. So I guess if the container and its contents weigh less than 40-something Kg, it would float and possibly be of some assistance. I'm not sure how much the ceramic container would weigh, but 40Kg seems impractical for an empty storage device meant to be carried, so I'm guessing it would float? Human density is pretty similar to that of water (varies depending on fat and muscle) so it shouldn't take a whole lot to help keep a person afloat. Would it actually work? :shrug:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

EricBauman posted:

If an ancient amphora (of the shape shown in the top right picture on this wikipedia page and about four feet tall) were to be partially filled with coins, how full could it be in order to still allow it to function as a basic flotation device for a grown man? Assuming the amphora has a watertight seal. It doesn't have to support his whole weight, just enough to keep itself afloat and something for a near drowning guy to get at least some support from.

And yes, I do realise how oddly specific this question is. But I'd value anyone with the basic grasp on physics that I so dearly miss to make sure I don't write complete bullshit.

The quickest way to approach it is this: To stay afloat, you have to have a combined density less than water.

Add up the mass of all the things (you can neglect the air inside half of the amphora).
Add up the volume of all the things
Divide the mass by the volume, and is it less than 1 g/mL (or 1000 kg/m^3)? Then it'll float.

So let's try a very rough approximation. Let's call the amphora a cylinder, 1.3m tall and 30 cm wide (going off of your height and they look to be about 1x4 or so). Let's say it's got a wall thickness of, I dunno, 3 cm of terra cotta.

Total volume of the cylinder: V_cyl = 0.092 m^3

Total empty volume of the cylinder: this is a cylinder that is 3 cm smaller on all sides
V_empty = 0.057 m^3

The total SOLID volume of the terra cotta: V_solid = V_cyl - V_empty = 0.034 m^3
We use this one to find the weight of the pot. The density of a brick (the best ref I felt like looking for) is 2,000 kg/m^3.
mass of amphora m_a = 69 kg :69snypa:

The empty portion is half-filled with coins. You'll need the "bulk" or "granular" density of coins - this means, when you throw coins in a pot, the pile doesn't have the density of pure metal because there's air in between them and stuff.
This gives us a density of 4900 kg/m^3 for perfectly stacked pennies. Let's cut that down to 3/4 of that value cause I'm assuming they're filled into the pot randomly.
The total mass of coins is going to be some fraction, F, of the empty volume.
m_coins = F * V_empty * density_coins
= F * (.057 m^3) * (3675 kg/m^3)

Finally, the human being!
m_guy = 69 kg :69snypa:
V_guy = 0.0664 m^3

Final calculation! Sum all the masses, sum all the volumes (not the empty volume, cause that's contained within the amphora).
m_total = m_guy + m_a + m_coins = 69 + 69 + m_coins = 138 + 211*F [kg]
V_total = V_cyl + V_guy = 0.158 m^3

Divide these to get a combined density. Set that equal to the density of water (1000 kg/m^3) and you'll get what fullness value F will drown your dude.

1000 = (138 + 211*F) / .158
F = .096
In other words, it has to be LESS than 10% full of coins. And that's even a gracious estimate, because that's the threshold at which barely anything (hopefully the dude's mouth) will be poking above the water surface, and also because a real amphora has a less favorable geometry than a perfect cylinder.

This all depends on how realistic my amphora geometry was, and how realistic my coin density was. But right now it looks like you can't have too many coins. Let me know if you want my excel sheet to play with the values yourself, or you can make your own.

...I like doing these kinds of problems.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I got called for jury once but only just sat in a giant waiting room (underground, no windows) with about a hundredish other people. My work still paid me, even had a special JUR code for my timesheet.

I was there for 2.5 days, they seriously had this metal bingo-hopper thing with everyone's name in it and they'd call out x number of names for each trial and we'd not see those people the rest of the day. In the middle of the third day they said if we haven't had our name called we could go home.

There was free wifi, hardly any power outlets, I took a little usb powerpack and streamed movies all day long on my android.

Even though I was lucky enough to still be getting paid the whole experience of sitting in a waiting room for 4 hours, get out for lunch, sit for another 4 hours pissed me right off. I snapped at one point and told a pretty 20ish year old girl to "eat poo poo" because she stole my chair while I went to the john. Not like me at all, esp to a lady, I'm 35 now and I can probably count on one hand since HS how many times I've gotten lovely with a stranger like that. (It was a really nice chair though)

At the time I kept calling it "Going to Jury" like Buster Bluth said "Going to Army".

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 12, 2013

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kind of a subjective question, I hope it doesn't spark huge debate or anything.
In short: I have like $400 of "free money" that expires in a month that can only be used for research/study-related things.
The two purchase scenarios I'm considering: (can only pick one or the other)
(1) a scanner and a graphics tablet
(2) a tablet computer

The thing is, I've played with tablet computers a few times, and I...don't really like them. (I'm not judging anyone who thinks tablets are awesome. I'm just asking about my specific case.)

I finally got a smartphone this year, largely because I didn't want to feel "left behind" in what is clearly the next big direction in technology. I've always been computer savvy, and I don't want to be an old man who barely knows how to operate a smartphone. I feel like I've been pretty successful in learning the ins and outs of them by now - I mean they're designed to be really intuitive and idiot-proof, so it wasn't hard.
So that's the primary reason I'm considering a tablet computer.
I already have a small-ish laptop I'm very happy with, so I don't particularly need the computing resources (though I'm obligated to say I would find uses for it in my studies/research). In that sense, I think (1) would be a slightly more practical choice. So what I'm asking is, do you think getting a tablet computer will contribute any more to my next-generation-computer-literacy? Or if I've become good with a smartphone, I wonder if a tablet not going to be that different.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Changing a 110V outlet to a 220V outlet. Is this somthing a weekend warrior like my self can do or should I consult an expert?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For pretty much anything involving electrical mains you should consult an expert. Even if you do whatever you're planning without getting killed, you could create a fire hazard. That said, can't you just buy an adapter?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Volume posted:

Changing a 110V outlet to a 220V outlet. Is this somthing a weekend warrior like my self can do or should I consult an expert?

I don't think it's that simple. You need to replace the breaker, and make sure it's connected to both legs of power, and then the line that runs to the new outlet needs to be the appropriate gauge. Otherwise things will get all melty and burny.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

There's a thread for tablet recommendations. You could try asking there. But a tablet is more or less a big smartphone that may or may not have a cellular radio. They even run the same operating systems, so if you just want to know how to use one, you're already there.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

alnilam posted:

The quickest way to approach it is this: To stay afloat, you have to have a combined density less than water.

Add up the mass of all the things (you can neglect the air inside half of the amphora).
Add up the volume of all the things
Divide the mass by the volume, and is it less than 1 g/mL (or 1000 kg/m^3)? Then it'll float.

So let's try a very rough approximation. Let's call the amphora a cylinder, 1.3m tall and 30 cm wide (going off of your height and they look to be about 1x4 or so). Let's say it's got a wall thickness of, I dunno, 3 cm of terra cotta.

Total volume of the cylinder: V_cyl = 0.092 m^3

Total empty volume of the cylinder: this is a cylinder that is 3 cm smaller on all sides
V_empty = 0.057 m^3

The total SOLID volume of the terra cotta: V_solid = V_cyl - V_empty = 0.034 m^3
We use this one to find the weight of the pot. The density of a brick (the best ref I felt like looking for) is 2,000 kg/m^3.
mass of amphora m_a = 69 kg :69snypa:

The empty portion is half-filled with coins. You'll need the "bulk" or "granular" density of coins - this means, when you throw coins in a pot, the pile doesn't have the density of pure metal because there's air in between them and stuff.
This gives us a density of 4900 kg/m^3 for perfectly stacked pennies. Let's cut that down to 3/4 of that value cause I'm assuming they're filled into the pot randomly.
The total mass of coins is going to be some fraction, F, of the empty volume.
m_coins = F * V_empty * density_coins
= F * (.057 m^3) * (3675 kg/m^3)

Finally, the human being!
m_guy = 69 kg :69snypa:
V_guy = 0.0664 m^3

Final calculation! Sum all the masses, sum all the volumes (not the empty volume, cause that's contained within the amphora).
m_total = m_guy + m_a + m_coins = 69 + 69 + m_coins = 138 + 211*F [kg]
V_total = V_cyl + V_guy = 0.158 m^3

Divide these to get a combined density. Set that equal to the density of water (1000 kg/m^3) and you'll get what fullness value F will drown your dude.

1000 = (138 + 211*F) / .158
F = .096
In other words, it has to be LESS than 10% full of coins. And that's even a gracious estimate, because that's the threshold at which barely anything (hopefully the dude's mouth) will be poking above the water surface, and also because a real amphora has a less favorable geometry than a perfect cylinder.

This all depends on how realistic my amphora geometry was, and how realistic my coin density was. But right now it looks like you can't have too many coins. Let me know if you want my excel sheet to play with the values yourself, or you can make your own.

...I like doing these kinds of problems.

Wow, this is great!

Thanks.

Looks like the guy in my story is going to end up on the other side of the Adriatic with a lot less money than I originally planned.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

But a tablet is more or less a big smartphone

That's mostly my thoughts. I'm perfectly fine browsing the internet or watching shows all day long on my phone. If I want bigger than that I'll go for my laptop. I'm always going to have a need for a laptop with a real PC OS on it, I don't really have any need for something that's in-between my smartphone and my laptop. I don't carry any kind of bag or emo-purse so if I'm out, my phone is all I have, bringing a tablet with me somewhere would have all the same concerns as bringing a laptop.

If they make an x86 tablet that has the detachable keyboard like those ones in that horrible commercial and it runs a full desktop OS I could be interested in that someday.

VVV yep that one. I never even really looked up or paid enough attention to see if those were x86 or ARM. I got my answer now though.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 12, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

If they make an x86 tablet that has the detachable keyboard like those ones in that horrible commercial and it runs a full desktop OS I could be interested in that someday.
You mean that thing that already exists? I'd wait until the Haswell refresh, though.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

EricBauman posted:

Wow, this is great!

Thanks.

Looks like the guy in my story is going to end up on the other side of the Adriatic with a lot less money than I originally planned.

Is the Adriatic Sea a salt water sea? There may be even more difference if alnilam was not figuring in the salt content of the water. Objects are more buoyant in salt water than they are in fresh water. This page explains the difference pretty well. Though I am not sure how to figure that into his equations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Trastion posted:

Is the Adriatic Sea a salt water sea? There may be even more difference if alnilam was not figuring in the salt content of the water. Objects are more buoyant in salt water than they are in fresh water. This page explains the difference pretty well. Though I am not sure how to figure that into his equations.

Just change the density of water from 1000 to 1025 kg/m^3. The fill fraction only goes from 10% up to 11% - not a huge difference.

In the dead sea, the density is 1,240 kg/m^3, which raises the fill fraction to 27% - holy crap!

Could this guy's coins be all gold or something? Remember, the actual amount of coin is the fill fraction times 211 kg (the mass of coins to totally fill the pot). 21 kg of gold is a loving lot of gold.

And let me repeat, you don't actually want to fill all the way up to the fill fraction, maybe like half of it. 10 kg of gold is still worth like half a million dollars today.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm going back to school starting the fall quarter and just registered for classes. Is 20 credits really the max I can take per quarter? Four classes? That doesn't seem like a lot.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

It will obviously vary school to school, but at my school it was just that to take more than 4 per trimester you needed your academic advisor to sign off on it. Try asking your advisor or the registrar's office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

VirtualStranger posted:

What the hell is going on with Google Maps? StreetView keeps blurring out random objects like lampposts and trees.

Looks more like water droplets on the camera to me. I'm guessing they don't really check the quality as they go along.