Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Will probably not work but it is easy and cheap to try; wet it with something, wait 5 minutes and try to scrape it of again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Namarrgon posted:

Will probably not work but it is easy and cheap to try; wet it with something, wait 5 minutes and try to scrape it of again.

Nope :( It helped me get some of the lumpier bits off around the edge but the majority of the stuff is still stuck fast.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

cyberia posted:

Nope :( It helped me get some of the lumpier bits off around the edge but the majority of the stuff is still stuck fast.

Try some WD-40. Spray a little on a cloth and rub over the tape. Fair warning, it can sometimes leave a slight oily residue which is permanent, so test it on a more inconspicuous section of wall first. It's always worked for me, though.

Failing that, sand it off and repaint the wall.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Stick the mirror back up.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Try some WD-40. Spray a little on a cloth and rub over the tape. Fair warning, it can sometimes leave a slight oily residue which is permanent, so test it on a more inconspicuous section of wall first. It's always worked for me, though.

Failing that, sand it off and repaint the wall.

I don't have any WD-40 handy but I'm thinking I might just sand & repaint. There's a couple of other scratches around the place that I need to cover up and the builders left a bucket of paint in the garage when they built the place so it shouldn't be too much effort to paint over it.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Stick the mirror back up.

Lol, no. I'm about to move out so I've gotta get all my poo poo packed up anyway but the landlord is particularly anal about not sticking things on the walls (which I promptly ignored when I moved in) so I think she'd be even less impressed by a mirror on the wall than she will be by some tape residue.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

cyberia posted:

Yeah, I have but it's like melted onto the wall? It's almost flush against the wall and when I rub / scratch at it the tape residue doesn't come off at all. I figure I need some sort of solvent but I don't know what I can use that isn't going to strip or discolour the paint as well as removing the tape residue.

Goo-gone should remove it. Let it sit for a minute, then wipe off with warm water.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

cyberia posted:

I need some house-cleaning advice, goons.

My landlord is coming over tomorrow to do an inspection and there's some tape on the wall that looks like poo poo but I don't know how to get it off. It's like a knock-off version of those 3M Command Strips you can get and was originally holding a small mirror to the wall. I prised the mirror off with a knife but it left some of the tape behind and it's stuck fast. I don't want to scour the wall but I have absolutely no idea how to get this poo poo off:

Lighter fluid or isopropyl alcohol ought to do it.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

b0nes posted:

Is sharing of straws among friends socially acceptable? I was out with a few friends Saturday night. 2 of us ordered a drink that tasted terrible, and my friend was passing hers around telling people to try her drink. This isn't the first time I have noticed this and it honestly made me want to gag. I don't share any of my utensils. Maybe among people you know it is considered OK because we all knew each other pretty well but it isn't something I ever want to do.
In a way, yes. It's like passing the peace pipe (or the Communion cup) around. About the only thing one needs to do is wipe the business end of the straw clean before passing it on to the next person.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Straws are for babies anyway :colbert:

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

BoyBlunder posted:

Goo-gone should remove it. Let it sit for a minute, then wipe off with warm water.

That stuff is the bomb. You should always have it on hand. There's another product called De-Solve-It that is essentially the same.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Grundulum posted:

Question about Cygwin: I've downloaded and installed it, and now I'm trying to install other programs that use libraries that cygwin has supposedly already installed. I have no clue how to go about finding the location of these libraries for assembling a Makefile, since cygwin kindly didn't use the /usr/local/{include,lib,bin} structure that every Unix system I've ever seen does.

Am I just better off installing the major packages (python, data archive types, etc.) from scratch myself?

Edit to add that if this is a small programming question that doesn't deserve its own thread, I can take it to the appropriate place instead of waiting here.

You install major packages from Cygwin itself. Launch setup.exe and find packages like python and just click the tickbox to make sure that they are installed.

Python installs itself in /usr/bin/python just like on a regular Linux system.

Portable programs are installed by the usual ./configure ; make ; make install if they're not available from setup.exe. Cygwin has the /usr/local/{include,lib,bin} structure like most unix-like systems. Just do a ls /usr/local and you will see.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I'm soon going to be interviewing with a company that specializes in tech research, and apparently they really like to find out how much you know about recent consumer technology developments. Are there any good websites I could check out so I can at least throw some references at them?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
If I want to send a press release to an unfamiliar publication, do I just... send it? Unannounced, with "FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE" at the top of the e-mail? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I lost my job a few months ago and I am trying to get my student loans deferred because I am dead broke and I plan to finish up my last year of school next semester. I was sent the paperwork and they need proof of my income obviously, problem is I do have income, but don't have any proof of it. I picked up a pizza delivery job a few months ago and have never really been asked to record my tips and my paychecks are just regular checks from the business that are obviously way below minimum wage. I'm not under the table or anything either. The owner had me fill out a W2 (2 months after I started :wtf: ) When I asked a co-worker what we are supposed to do about taxes etc. he said the owner just basically has you report an estimate around tax time. So, I can't really figure out how the hell I am supposed to document this poo poo so I can give it to Fedloan and get my loan deferred for now.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

BoyBlunder posted:

Seconding Goo-Gone. Alternative is Spray-Nine.

WD-40 will oil stain the paper and plaster and will probably require replacing the drywall.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

BoyBlunder posted:

razz posted:

That stuff is the bomb. You should always have it on hand. There's another product called De-Solve-It that is essentially the same.

I couldn't find Goo Gone (dammit :australia:) but I got a bottle of De-Solv-It and will give that a go and if it doesn't work I'll try:

ladron posted:

Lighter fluid or isopropyl alcohol ought to do it.

Thanks for all the advice, goons.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Is it ok to give your mom a blender for her birthday?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Black Noise posted:

Is it ok to give your mom a blender for her birthday?

Is it new and cool and your mom likes blending things? Is it a bog standard blender because your old one broke?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
It's a blendtec yes? Or a gas powered one for making margaritas and daquiris while camping? You're an awesome kid.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 11, 2013

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's the difference between Nescafe Gold Blend and Nescafe Red Mug? I've been drinking Red Mug for a long time, and I love the flavour (any coffee aficionados, please don't hate me for drinking instant coffee). However, I recently purchased Gold Blend and I think it tastes absolutely vile.

I've done some Googling and there doesn't appear to be any black / white differences between the two? Any light shed on this would be appreciated. Red Mug is produced in Brazil, Gold Blend in Switzerland.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Loopoo posted:

What's the difference between Nescafe Gold Blend and Nescafe Red Mug? I've been drinking Red Mug for a long time, and I love the flavour (any coffee aficionados, please don't hate me for drinking instant coffee). However, I recently purchased Gold Blend and I think it tastes absolutely vile.

I've done some Googling and there doesn't appear to be any black / white differences between the two? Any light shed on this would be appreciated. Red Mug is produced in Brazil, Gold Blend in Switzerland.

Where do you live? The quality of coffee often has to do with how long it sat at room temperature during the various stages of its processing, before it got to you. Even freeze-dried coffee, sealed, has a half-life of a few months when it comes to flavor.
Other than that, the roasting process has as much to do with the flavor of coffee as does the bean or the grind -arguably more. Roasting at a few degrees less or for a few minutes more makes a huge difference.

short answer: it's probably the roast time for red mug makes a cup you like. The bean might also be different, but I doubt it. There are a lot of variables in coffee production, but when you're talking about lovely coffee like that it's the roast.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 11, 2013

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Very Strange Things posted:

Where do you live? The quality of coffee often has to do with how long it sat at room temperature during the various stages of its processing, before it got to you. Even freeze-dried coffee, sealed, has a half-life of a few months when it comes to flavor.
Other than that, the roasting process has as much to do with the flavor of coffee as does the bean or the grind -arguably more. Roasting at a few degrees less or for a few minutes more makes a huge difference.

I'm currently in the Middle-East, which is why I have to resort to instant coffee (ground coffee or whole beans are far too expensive). I'm really trying to find the details on what exactly differs between the two blends, because the taste between the two - at least, to me - is worlds apart.

Even in the past when I've been in the UK, Gold Blend has always been the sort of drink that I stoically chug down despite it's sub-par taste. However, I noticed with the Red Mug blend, I enjoy the cup a lot more.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Loopoo posted:

I'm currently in the Middle-East, which is why I have to resort to instant coffee (ground coffee or whole beans are far too expensive). I'm really trying to find the details on what exactly differs between the two blends, because the taste between the two - at least, to me - is worlds apart.

Even in the past when I've been in the UK, Gold Blend has always been the sort of drink that I stoically chug down despite it's sub-par taste. However, I noticed with the Red Mug blend, I enjoy the cup a lot more.

Sorry. I'm not familiar enough with those brands to say with any authority why one would be shittier than the other. They're both lovely and you should go Turkish there.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Very Strange Things posted:

Sorry. I'm not familiar enough with those brands to say with any authority why one would be shittier than the other. They're both lovely and you should go Turkish there.

I can't stand Turkish coffee. Far too strong, and I don't really like the taste of the spices they sometimes put in. Thanks for all the help buddy! I wrote another reply but I accidentally refreshed the page and the effort of typing it all back up.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

change my name posted:

What type of berries are these growing in my yard? They look like raspberries, but after googling raspberry bushes, they clearly aren't.

Thanks for posting this. It reminded me that I have a bush/tree that I want to identify.

Mine is a little different and I am thinking it is either Black berries or maybe Boysen berries.

I am in SW Michigan and this thing has been growing for a couple years now. It is probably a good 12-15 feet tall.

I am hoping that it is something edible in case my kids decide to try some and also since there are a lot of berries I may be able to make something with them if I can beat the birds to the good ones.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Trastion posted:

Thanks for posting this. It reminded me that I have a bush/tree that I want to identify.

Mine is a little different and I am thinking it is either Black berries or maybe Boysen berries.

I am in SW Michigan and this thing has been growing for a couple years now. It is probably a good 12-15 feet tall.

I am hoping that it is something edible in case my kids decide to try some and also since there are a lot of berries I may be able to make something with them if I can beat the birds to the good ones.

They're edible, I used to eat those all the time. We always called them blackberry trees, but I think they're actually a mulberry tree bush thing.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah that looks like a mulberry tree to me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They are VERY edible and expensive as hell from the grocery store. Blackberries that is, I have no idea what the previous poster has growing in their yard.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I have a few what I found out a few years back were mulberry trees and kids and wife were interested in eating them but if you split the berry open you can see tiny white bugs less than 1mm long crawling inside.

We get grape-drink-purple birdshit on everything in our backyard because of all those berries.

edit: Probably cutting all ours down when we get a new fence and I've heard the wood is supposed to be excellent for smoking up some bbq so that's a bonus.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 11, 2013

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Gothmog1065 posted:

They're edible, I used to eat those all the time. We always called them blackberry trees, but I think they're actually a mulberry tree bush thing.

Thanks everyone. They seems to be Red Mulberry. I guess I better see if I can harvest them before the birds eat them all. Maybe I can bake a pie with them!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
They make great pies! I picked and ate a few off of a roadside tree the other day. When I lived in Illinois there were a TON where I worked and lots of the guys there would go out and pick a couple gallons at a time.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Schweinhund posted:

Why does Netflix release their original shows all at once instead of one show per week?

People binge through shows these days rather than waiting for the next episode. The guy who did House of Cards said this is one reason why he wanted to work with Netflix, because being able to release a show all at once fits better with how people actually watch them.

Sorta like how books used to be released in serial issues of magazine and pamphlets, but then switched over to being published all at once once the technology + literacy was at the right point.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I just posted something on Facebook, on a company's public page, and a few minutes later one of my friends "liked" it because I guess it showed up in her news feed or something. It's not that I said anything embarrassing, but the idea of friends seeing stuff I'm posting away from my own wall bugs the poo poo out of me. Can I turn that off? Why are my friends seeing posts I've made on walls they're not even affiliated with? Why am I still on Facebook at all?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

jackpot posted:

I just posted something on Facebook, on a company's public page, and a few minutes later one of my friends "liked" it because I guess it showed up in her news feed or something. It's not that I said anything embarrassing, but the idea of friends seeing stuff I'm posting away from my own wall bugs the poo poo out of me. Can I turn that off? Why are my friends seeing posts I've made on walls they're not even affiliated with? Why am I still on Facebook at all?

It shows up in their "Ticker" on the far right side of Facebook. You can scroll through that to see what your friends are up to.

I don't think you can turn it off.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jackpot posted:

Your friends see it, because the company's page is public.

Ready to be more amazed/outraged? Your friends can see what you post on other people's wall, THEY'RE not friends with, if those people have set their wall/timeline privacy options to either "public" or "friends of friends".

Example:

Alice is your friend and she posts a picture. You "like" it and comment on it.
Alice's wall/timeline is set to "friends of friends".
Bob is your friend, but is not friends with Alice. He can see your like and comment, because he is your friend, and you are Alice's.

Fun, eh?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
While I'm abroad, can I order something online from regular "American" stores (amazon, walmart, target) to deliver in America? I want to order a birthday present for someone in America, while I'm gone.

(and there appears to be no way to order something and deliver on a specific date).

I have this feeling that if I'm logged on to a 3rd world internet cafe, I will have issues buying things online from US based websites, having a US account. Is this true?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It should be fine.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

CatchrNdRy posted:

While I'm abroad, can I order something online from regular "American" stores (amazon, walmart, target) to deliver in America? I want to order a birthday present for someone in America, while I'm gone.

(and there appears to be no way to order something and deliver on a specific date).

I have this feeling that if I'm logged on to a 3rd world internet cafe, I will have issues buying things online from US based websites, having a US account. Is this true?

Some sites might not like it if the country your IP is in doesn't match the address on your credit card. But that's really just the more paranoid ones, Steam can be a pain for example. I've never had a problem with Amazon.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

CatchrNdRy posted:

Amazon is fine with this. I recently bought my friend a book collection for her birthday whilst I was in the Middle-East. Amazon didn't make an issue at all.

Just be warned: If you're using Amazon, be extra bloody careful if you're ordering it as an anonymous gift! Amazon has a really frustrating gift system where you'll be anonymous, but then can mistakenly un-check the anonymity option if you leave a gift message on one of the items you order. It's what happened with me, and was absolutely stupid. I wanted to send the gift without her knowing who it was (not because I'm a creep, but we're friends and I didn't want her to feel like she had to get me something back) and because I left a note on one of the books ("Read this first, it's amazing!), Amazon went ahead and un-checked anonymity on that item, which rendered the entire thing pointless, since the package arrived with my name on it.

I'd be more worried about putting card information on an internet cafe computer. No idea what sorts of viruses it may have. Stick to ordering stuff from your own laptop - preferably with your own internet access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Thanks much all, I was getting nervous because my credit card gave me an issue when ordering off wal-mart. I realize it might be more of a credit card issue than a site issue.