Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm going back to school starting the fall quarter and just registered for classes. Is 20 credits really the max I can take per quarter? Four classes? That doesn't seem like a lot.

20 credit hours is a ton of work depending on the school. At the university I graduated from, a typical undergrad class was 3 credit hours, and you have to get permission for anything over 18 credit hours in a semester. I did 18 during the second semester of my senior year (so I wouldn't have to walk and then come back for summer session) and it was really rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm going back to school starting the fall quarter and just registered for classes. Is 20 credits really the max I can take per quarter? Four classes? That doesn't seem like a lot.

There are a lot of different "credits" systems in use so it's hard to compare, but four classes sounds about right for a full-time student. My college used a weird system of 1 class = 1 credit and would only allow a max of 3.5 credits in a trimester unless you had a pretty good reason to go over.

Bear in mind that college-level courses tend to be more work than high school courses, so don't expect to handle seven or eight at a time anymore.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That all makes sense, thanks. The way they described it in orientation, it felt like I'd be at the school 60 hours a week or something. I've got one daily, two MW, and an online.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
I have what we believe to be a Chinese bronze vase and I am trying to find out what this mark on the bottom of it says. Can anyone translate?

Edit:
Several different orientations:

Straithate fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 12, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Does anyone have any good suggestions for cable management on a built-in desk? The desktop and monitor and on top of the desk, there's no "backside" for the cables to drop down to and there's a drawer underneath to drilling holes and running cables under is going so be either very difficult or impossible.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
With the recent water question that reminded me of a dumb question: what would I do if I wanted to make like a plastic or rubber fish that would half-sink/half-float and hang out and be bros with my real fish? Find some 3D printer company and fill it (somehow) until it was semi-buoyant in the middle of the tank?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

FCKGW posted:

Does anyone have any good suggestions for cable management on a built-in desk? The desktop and monitor and on top of the desk, there's no "backside" for the cables to drop down to and there's a drawer underneath to drilling holes and running cables under is going so be either very difficult or impossible.
Use some kind of surface-mount raceway. Panduit makes some. You could also get some flexible cable mesh or the plastic tubing with the slit cut down the side. Are you just trying to make them less conspicuous or are you asking for a way send it under the desk? Can you install something like a PowerBridge?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does anyone make a reasonable keychain sized knife/bottle opener? I don't want to look like some goon walking around with a huge leatherman. I was thinking something along the size of the Buck Metro, or smaller, but less goofy looking.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Volume posted:

Changing a 110V outlet to a 220V outlet. Is this somthing a weekend warrior like my self can do or should I consult an expert?

Personally I'll gently caress around with 110V stuff, but 220V I leave alone. I'm guessing you're talking about one of the outlets that has a T-shaped slot rather than one of the big mofos for dryers or ranges? Regardless, for something like that it really would be best to either run wire from an existing outlet on a 110V circuit, or put in a new breaker and run wire from that. It's not particularly difficult, but fishing wire can definitely be a pain in the rear end. There is a wiring thread in DIY with some regular posters who are professionals, so you could probably get better info out of there than here.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Knightmare posted:

With the recent water question that reminded me of a dumb question: what would I do if I wanted to make like a plastic or rubber fish that would half-sink/half-float and hang out and be bros with my real fish? Find some 3D printer company and fill it (somehow) until it was semi-buoyant in the middle of the tank?

Just a thought: Buy a rubber fish (squeaky toy?), cut a slit, filled with coins, glue back shut.

You can find out how many coins if do water displacement to find the fish volume and mass the fish and one penny. Add pennies until total mass / fish volume equals that of water. You'll need a decent scale and liquid volume measuring stuff for this.

Or just add coins til it floats.

E: if it's a squeaky toy, make sure to glue the squeaky hole.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

FCKGW posted:

Put a power strip behind the monitor, plug everything into that. Then you just have one cable to deal with.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Pope Mobile posted:

That all makes sense, thanks. The way they described it in orientation, it felt like I'd be at the school 60 hours a week or something. I've got one daily, two MW, and an online.

So that 18 credits corresponds to 18 hours worth of lectures per week. If any of them are lab credits, those expectations no longer stand - I'd have 3-hour labs that were only worth 1 credit. Also, keep in mind that you can expect anywhere from .5 to 2 hours of homework per hour of coursework, depending on the level of your classes.

I remember being fine taking 18 credits worth of classes during my Sophomore year while working on-campus for a professor, but 15 hours worth of classes were killing me senior year, when I was also interning 10-15 hours per week.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Lyz posted:

Looks more like water droplets on the camera to me. I'm guessing they don't really check the quality as they go along.

They look way too square to be water in my opinion.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Tiggum posted:

You posted a public message on a public page and you're annoyed that other people can see it?
There's a difference between making a post on a public page that anyone can (but most won't) see, and making that same post which facebook then goes out of its way to show to all of my friends. It's like striking up a conversation with someone I just met at a party, and then finding out the entire conversation was broadcast simultaneously to all of my friends. It's weird. Unpleasant.

Lyz posted:

I think the only way you can hide it is to go into your activity log and click the X on your comment and it should show you a "hide from timeline" option.
Nope. I do have that option, but it not only hides the comment, it erases it altogether.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Use some kind of surface-mount raceway. Panduit makes some. You could also get some flexible cable mesh or the plastic tubing with the slit cut down the side. Are you just trying to make them less conspicuous or are you asking for a way send it under the desk? Can you install something like a PowerBridge?

The power and ethernet are also located above the desk (on opposite sides of the monitor no less) so there's no reason to run one of those through the wall. I'm trying to make it less conspicuous and if running it under the desk is the best way to achieve that then so be it.

Schweinhund posted:

Put a power strip behind the monitor, plug everything into that. Then you just have one cable to deal with.

That's what I have now but it doesn't hide everything going to the tower like the ethernet, k/b, speakers, DVI, webcam, etc...

I saw this kit I might pick up and give it a try: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052005&p_id=8288&seq=1&format=2

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

KoB posted:

They look way too square to be water in my opinion.

Overzealous censorship-by-request? Maybe that picture was retaken and the previous version had material that was censored and it never got corrected?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Straithate posted:

I have what we believe to be a Chinese bronze vase and I am trying to find out what this mark on the bottom of it says. Can anyone translate?

I know Chinese but not Japanese. This looks like Japanese... I can make out (using this chart: http://goo.gl/hT6nU):

The first thing is maybe the "wa" or the "re", the second thing is definitely the "n" in the top left corner.

The third thing is a Chinese character 弘 which means like "great" or "magnificent". Someone who knows Japanese can tell you the full meaning probably.

edit: Found a way to type Japanese poo poo わ/れん弘

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 12, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

FCKGW posted:

The power and ethernet are also located above the desk (on opposite sides of the monitor no less) so there's no reason to run one of those through the wall. I'm trying to make it less conspicuous and if running it under the desk is the best way to achieve that then so be it.

I saw this kit I might pick up and give it a try: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052005&p_id=8288&seq=1&format=2
One thing I've found with cheap raceway is the double-sided adhesive isn't that great and will come loose, especially when opening the raceway. Make sure you have some replacement stuff. Also, raceway holds less than you'd think, so consider ordering a larger size. If you really want to clean stuff up nicely, get some cable mesh and seal the ends with heat-shrink tubing for the parts that come out of the raceway. You'll need a pretty big diameter to fit the DVI head shell through there. If you've got space for it and your display has VESA holes, get a wall-mount arm for it so you don't have the monitor stand in the way. You can also run the cables for the monitor along the mount so they're not loose and visible.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

systran posted:

I know Chinese but not Japanese. This looks like Japanese...

Thanks a lot, I didn't really think it looked like Chinese but we took it in to an auction house and an appraiser said that it was. According to her the vase depicts Chinese ceremonial vessels. Weird.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Wait for more people to chime in and post it in both the Chinese and Japanese threads in the Academic subforum. No matter how I look at it, I can't get those two things that look like Japanese to form a Chinese character, but it's possible I am mistaken.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ciaphas posted:

Overzealous censorship-by-request? Maybe that picture was retaken and the previous version had material that was censored and it never got corrected?

Sometimes the detection algorithms just go haywire. For example, it's supposed to autoblur out people's faces who happened to be walking by, but random objects that could look kind of like a face will get picked up and blurred.

There was a random highway near where I live that used to have just completely random blur blocks on street view - like it was a freeway that was just going through some woody area so there would be no people or even signs around. The current street view for the location doesn't have it anymore but is a newer picture set.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Straithate posted:

Thanks a lot, I didn't really think it looked like Chinese but we took it in to an auction house and an appraiser said that it was. According to her the vase depicts Chinese ceremonial vessels. Weird.

It's not Chinese - more like a scribble.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

Where can i find the extension for chrome that replaces the names and pictures of a facebook post for when you want to take a screenshot? I tried Blur Facebook and Status Snapper but neither one of them seem to work for me :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

jackpot posted:

There's a difference between making a post on a public page that anyone can (but most won't) see, and making that same post which facebook then goes out of its way to show to all of my friends. It's like striking up a conversation with someone I just met at a party, and then finding out the entire conversation was broadcast simultaneously to all of my friends. It's weird. Unpleasant.

Seems like you have a fundamental misunderstanding about what Facebook is. It's not like a private conversation at a party at all. The broadcasting to you friends is a feature, not a mistake.

Christopher Robin posted:

Where can i find the extension for chrome that replaces the names and pictures of a facebook post for when you want to take a screenshot? I tried Blur Facebook and Status Snapper but neither one of them seem to work for me :(

Social Fixer

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

In GMail, is there any way to widen the "people in this thread" column?

I've always hated how gmail uses only people's first names there (it's especially annoying if, say, half the people at your office are named Jennifer), so I found and tweaked a greasemonkey script to fix that. But the trouble now is that only one name (or at most two) will fit in that column, and I can't find any official or unofficial way to widen it. I've found userscripts that will widen the far-left column, the one with all the labels, but that's not what I need. The only thing about this exact problem that I can find are various forum posts, going back years, of people asking for this feature. Does anyone know a top-secret method?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Tiggum posted:

Seems like you have a fundamental misunderstanding about what Facebook is. It's not like a private conversation at a party at all. The broadcasting to you friends is a feature, not a mistake.

Seems to me he understands perfectly well how it works now and just would prefer it to work another way for a perfectly valid reason. Your post is really obnoxious.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Would anyone know where I could track down a good English translation of La Légende des siècles? The only one I could find was on Scribd, and all the words and punctutation were hosed up.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Is poopsocking an urban myth or are there accounts of actual people actually doing it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Schweinhund posted:

Seems to me he understands perfectly well how it works now and just would prefer it to work another way for a perfectly valid reason. Your post is really obnoxious.

If you're trying to eat your soup with a fork, don't complain that it's a bad design, get a spoon.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is Anna Torv from Fringe hot or not?

It's weird - I'm watching the show and in some scenes she looks extremely hot and in others she looks really strange?

I think it's her mouth - it's so wide while her face is really round :confuoot:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

brylcreem posted:

It's weird - I'm watching the show and in some scenes she looks extremely hot and in others she looks really strange?

Every answer you get to this question will be purely subjective. Some people may find her hideous, despite her good scenes, and others will find her ridiculously good looking, even on her worst days.

I personally find her unattractive. She's seems butch, and her facial features are harsh. Plus, her side profile is the strangest thing, she resembles some weird kind of goblin from the side.

Welcome to the internet, where we're all alpha males that have the luxury of being so picky.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 13, 2013

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

brylcreem posted:

^^^Alpha female checking in...

Her face has always bothered me a bit. Her face proportions are a just little bit off, and head-on shots of her make her mouth seem wider than her actual face and from the side she looks slightly goblin-y.

But yes, in my opinion she is "hot" or "doable" or "bangtastic" or whatever you kids are calling it these days. Also you're creepy for asking like that.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 13, 2013

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I think she looks a little odd because she's actually not a real person, she's claymation features stuck onto a hard boiled egg.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fizzymercy posted:

But yes, in my opinion she is "hot" or "doable" or "bangtastic" or whatever you kids are calling it these days. Also you're creepy for asking like that.

I don't even ... :psyduck:

But thanks for clarifying the proportions and asymmetry for me! Those were the words I couldn't think of.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

brylcreem posted:

I don't even ... :psyduck:

But thanks for clarifying the proportions and asymmetry for me! Those were the words I couldn't think of.

Yeah I admit that was weird. I shouldn't post half awake and hungover...just ignore the dumbass bits.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Shagadelic is the current adjective, I believe. Also; everyone is beautiful, we are all made of stars.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

Shagadelic is the current adjective, I believe. Also; everyone is beautiful, we are all made of stars.

Some people need a brown paper bag placed over their star-stuff, though.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I actually liked that her face was a little bit off. It took a little while getting used to, but it's refreshing to have the main female lead of a show not be obviously attractive. It adds a bit of realism or something.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Loopoo posted:

Some people need a brown paper bag placed over their star-stuff, though.

Fortunately that brown paper bag is also made of star stuff :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I have a question I need a few more opinions on. In mid-late June I went across the border to the US (I'm Canadian) via car to go visit my friend and his roommate for a week. When I was at the border, I was stopped and brought into a room for questioning. I'm a white, young adult girl and I have heard that they have been stopping young girls who have been travelling alone more often because they could be mules or something.

Anyway, I was held back for a long time. They typed a lot of stuff onto a computer, double-checking facts with me over and over and over and over. They eventually let me leave, but I was pretty shaken that they were going to turn me around and tell me to go home. I had my vacation and went home, the Canadian side of the border gave me zero issues and I was in and out in less than five minutes.

But now I have the money to go back to see them again, this time I want to go for 2-3 weeks, and I want to do it at the end of this month or early August. I need to take a Greyhound bus to the border which is about 9 hours away. It's a lot of money and I don't have a lot of wiggle room.

My question is, how likely is it that they're going to turn me around at the border and I'm not going to get to go to the US? I don't want to have to do 9 hours back home for nothing and have wasted lots of money. I am worried because they had stopped me before for a long time and typed poo poo on their computer. I have nothing to hide and told them everything straight, so folks I've talked to have said "well then you have nothing to fear", but I've heard a lot of stories about people being denied entry for BS or nonexistent reasons.