Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

This is true, but they did a pretty good job of making something listenable out of that in the editing. Listening to it over the phone, out of context, the conversations so often sprawled too far afield from anything interesting that I was convinced the episode was gonna be a trainwreck. And I didn't even know there were guests in the room, though there may as well not've been, for what little they got to say. Weird experiment, having callers and two guests at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Great episode as always. Enjoyed the calls, had a very Best Show vibe at times when they were getting totally off-topic, e.g. David's future failed acting career.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Anthony Jeselnik did an ask me anything on reddit (I know, I know) a couple of hours ago, and we finally learn the truth about the Boston Marathon tweet.

"Hey Jeselnik, why and what exactly happened with this tweet joke you made on the day of the Bombings of the Boston Marathon? You deleted it about 20-30 minutes afterwards."
Tweet - http://i.imgur.com/lXMWplW.jpg

- "Okay. Starting strong. Thanks for having me, everyone.
Comedy Central made me delete the Boston Marathon joke. I wasn't happy about it but, despite popular belief, I can occasionally be a team player."

More here: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1hytk4/hi_im_anthony_jeselnik_comedian_and_host_of_the/

e: On second thought this might be better posted in the standup thread, but I think we originally talked about it here. gently caress it, everybody is already reading every thread in this small subforum.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That caller's poem was perfect.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Always appreciate a new Analyze Phish, but the whole time I kept thinking how Jimmy Pardo would've handled some of those callers.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Harris' Phish concert memory is genuinely very impressive/alarming.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've started listening to the Fogelnest Files and although Jake's voice is annoying, the premise is refreshingly different from the other podcasts I already listen to. I checked out the first episode with Chris Gethard and Julie Klausner talking about punk and basically lost an hour of my workday laughing at my desk.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I got through about five minutes of gross eating before I had to turn off Nerd Poker. Christ people, be loving professional.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Really, really disappointed in the new Analyze Phish. I can't stand call-in shows

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

I got through about five minutes of gross eating before I had to turn off Nerd Poker. Christ people, be loving professional.

It was more like 10 seconds.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I started listening to some more of Analyze Phish (started from the start again since it's been a while) and got curious and stumbled upon them covering some bands.

Such as the Talking Heads, notably the song "Cities"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIo4idtG9bs

Why, why would they do this, who lets these people walk around free after this, there is no justice :cripes:

Here's the original if you haven't heard it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHs_o8qbND0

It's like they can't help but easy listeningify everything they do and just kinda slowly noodle around on their instruments, I don't understand how but somehow listening to Phish is at the same time almost alright and at the same time is so awful it makes me want to blow my brains out.

I watched a version of them covering "Born Under Punches" too where they just did a straight cover of the song but somehow sapped out all the life from the song, they just seem to have that effect of taking all the energy and emotion out of things, if I listen to Phish for long enough I get the feeling I'll slowly turn into some kind of stoner zombie, wandering around in a haze of granola and beach balls.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Irish Joe posted:

I unsubscribed to that podcast a while ago. I realized I was never really paying attention to it and when I was, it was because Blaine was being funny (and he hadn't been on a couple of episodes) or because I thought they were being annoying. I get my fix of listening to funny people play D&D on Harmontown anyway.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Yeah I gave up on Nerd Poker after about 6 episodes. It was just so boring. I guess I had built it up as something different in my head.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

cams posted:

Really, really disappointed in the new Analyze Phish. I can't stand call-in shows

Without the call-in portion we wouldn't have heard Scott T.'s poem, soooooooooo...

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I liked the call-in portion since they were all stoned losers (and totally nice people) who were basically Harris in an alternate universe where he's not a highly successful young writer.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Nerd Poker would be amazing if they were podcasting one of those past campaigns with Patton Oswalt that they constantly reference in their flashback segments. What I'm saying is that it needs more drunken dwarf songs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I stopped paying attention to the campaign after they fought the water king, but I still just enjoy them in my ears as background to playing Animal Crossing or whatever.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I didn't mind the call-in aspect of the new Analyze Phish, but I did hate how the system wasn't exactly running smoothly. There was enough of a delay between hosts and caller that every call inevitably degraded into a lot of talking over one another and "Oh sorry, go ahead," "No, no, what were you going to say" back-and-forths.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You'd be infuriated by the Chelsea Peretti podcast.

Hdlsa
Jul 28, 2007
Important-looking pirate
Martin Starr is painfully unfunny on Improv4Humans, I don't know why anyone would think he could improvise. Whenever he is on CBB he pretty much kills every bit by refusing to play along with Scott.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hdlsa posted:

Martin Starr is painfully unfunny on Improv4Humans, I don't know why anyone would think he could improvise. Whenever he is on CBB he pretty much kills every bit by refusing to play along with Scott.

I don't like him very much either, but Wengert/Mookie/Sitko were funny enough that it didn't really matter. The quid po cro scene was amazing

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Teenage Fansub posted:

You'd be infuriated by the Chelsea Peretti podcast.

I love Chelsea, but I have been hesitant to give her podcast a shot. Sounds like I made the right choice.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Give the Adam Scott co-hosted episode a try.

e: This one http://feralaudio.com/19-the-hawaii-episode-jk/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 11, 2013

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Making people afraid of using Skype or cell phones with bad receptions is what makes The Best Show work.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Hdlsa posted:

Any time I hear/see him on anything UCB/Earwolf related I am bewildered as to why he's there, and he seems to be thinking the same thing.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Laughed very hard (in public) at the scene where Mookie plays the DJ who's 'too obese to be on the radio'.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

The telemarketer scene ending in quid po crow may be my favorite scene they've ever done. It's high up there with the Lauren Lapkus as a grape scene.

BINOCULARS

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Tell everyone about me!

e: vvv Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 12, 2013

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I thought I4H was supposed to be on VPN tonight. It looks like it's Ronna and Beverly. I'm disappointed :(

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm listening to this latest Fogelnest Files with Scott Aukerman and he says they're going to do another Analyse Phish at a Phish concert... with Paul F. Tompkins. :aaaaa:

I dunno if they announced this already on the latest AP. I got through maybe 2 callers before realizing the whole episode was call-ins and turning it off.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I'm listening to this latest Fogelnest Files with Scott Aukerman and he says they're going to do another Analyse Phish at a Phish concert... with Paul F. Tompkins. :aaaaa:

I dunno if they announced this already on the latest AP. I got through maybe 2 callers before realizing the whole episode was call-ins and turning it off.
Not gonna spoil AP, but it has some pretty interesting stuff relating to your news and it's presented in a much more interesting way than just a plug. It's around the end if you want to fast-forward.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You're missing out on some Scott T.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Pulled this from the Reddit AMA Scott did today. Someone asked him about if/when he'd bring back Mike Detective...

Scott Aukerman posted:

we want to - we have the entirety of season two plotted out (and one ep written) - we also are trying to turn it into something else - but the TV show has taken up a lot of our time.

So it sounds like they might turn it into something different? Maybe some kind of video or animated show? Who knows.

Mike Detective seems to come up around here often (for good reason - it's great), and it's nice to know the show's not completely gone/dead.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 12, 2013

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
If Mike Detective came back it would be like a poorly written instruction manual for a seamstress: Sew Good

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I had hopes that a new Mike Detective season could be written in a year, but just like Liam Neeson's upcoming masterpiece, it's Taken 3.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I listened to the latest I4H today, it was pretty good (especially the last couple scenes). I was dying at the Quid Pro Crow scene.

doetc
Jul 24, 2006

Riptor posted:

If Mike Detective came back it would be like a poorly written instruction manual for a seamstress: Sew Good

So Mike Detective is written by Andy Zaltzman?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Reality Show Show is back tomorrow!

Sean Clements posted:

New ep is in the can. Drops Tuesday. B Bro and Challenge on the menu.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Holy poo poo, incredible news. I mean, poo poo My DAG Says has been OK for the last 9 weeks, but it's just not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

No loving way!