Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Millions of pax and a handful of bullion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

Welp. Mods gassed that thread super fast.

Also, go gently caress yourself, Raiser. Illumintai 4 Lyfe.

Yeah the Funcom volunteer moderators are super critical and don't let many threads negative of Funcom live. That's why so many threads get hijacked for negative criticisms.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Posting about billing issues or posting a live chat transcript is a sure way to have your post insta-deleted.

You can have a previous failed payment removed. Open a live chat and ask them to do it before you add a payment method to an account with a pending transaction that you previously consented to.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GEMorris posted:

Posting about billing issues or posting a live chat transcript is a sure way to have your post insta-deleted.

You can have a previous failed payment removed. Open a live chat and ask them to do it before you add a payment method to an account with a pending transaction that you previously consented to.

No. I can't remove poo poo. If I'm previously aware of the situation, and happen to be on during the new 8-8 business hours of live chat, I can ask them to pretty please remove it. But that's a lovely way to run a business and really loving sketchy business practices.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Toshimo posted:

No. I can't remove poo poo. If I'm previously aware of the situation, and happen to be on during the new 8-8 business hours of live chat, I can ask them to pretty please remove it. But that's a lovely way to run a business and really loving sketchy business practices.

Not arguing with you on that. Just saying that they aren't breaking their credit card processing agreements.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Hee. Funcom posted a bunch of images of the Anniversary fights on their Facebook. Do you see what I see?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cheston posted:

Hee. Funcom posted a bunch of images of the Anniversary fights on their Facebook. Do you see what I see?

Thats a pretty accurate video of the fight.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Cheston posted:

I see a whole lot of people not doing anything. Do you mean that?

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Cheston posted:

Not enough horse heads?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I was going to suggest a complete lack of variety in weapons. AR's definitely the name of the game here, among everyone who's able to be moving at the time.

My instant thought was 'is there a goatse in this picture somehow' though. I don't think there is.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I was going to suggest a complete lack of variety in weapons. AR's definitely the name of the game here, among everyone who's able to be moving at the time.

My instant thought was 'is there a goatse in this picture somehow' though. I don't think there is.

AR's best choice for being out of AOE range. Kind of sad with the burst nerf since I have to drop safety off as my builder.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

You know I'm really happy that the signet I got from one of the guardian things is something I would use, being able to occasionally make 4 Horsemen never glance honestly sounds pretty good.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

QQmore posted:

Not enough horse heads?

None of the people in it read this thread, apparently.

This just in: Sov-Tech bubble makes Cheston potentially rich.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I'd love to bitch about not enough Illuminati love too, like the fact that New York is loving tiny, the Labyrinth is not nearly fleshed out enough, they're basically out-Illuminati'd in every respect by Orochi, etc. Then there's the stuff that can be applied to all three secret societies, like the fact that there isn't nearly enough faction-specific meaningful story content. But then I remember Illuminati have Geary, Alex, and gas masks, and the world seems like a better place.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

None of the people in it read this thread, apparently.

This just in: Sov-Tech bubble makes Cheston potentially rich.

Sov-Tech is worth money? I've been sitting on a couple completed blueprints for months.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

Len posted:

Sov-Tech is worth money? I've been sitting on a couple completed blueprints for months.

Hasn't it always been? I've been able to move it whenever I got it for a solid chunk.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Marx posted:

Hasn't it always been? I've been able to move it whenever I got it for a solid chunk.

Last time I checked the prices they were going for around 2mil pax which is chump change.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Cheston posted:

The golem is releasing some brown?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Edit: Nevermind found it.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Len posted:

I have never seen a single soviet blueprint piece drop.

Man, if they were selling for only 2mil pax I would have bought some up in anticipation of this.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Protagorean posted:

I'd love to bitch about not enough Illuminati love too, like the fact that New York is loving tiny, the Labyrinth is not nearly fleshed out enough, they're basically out-Illuminati'd in every respect by Orochi, etc. Then there's the stuff that can be applied to all three secret societies, like the fact that there isn't nearly enough faction-specific meaningful story content. But then I remember Illuminati have Geary, Alex, and gas masks, and the world seems like a better place.

To be fair, this isn't that big of a deal since the other three factions get the same treatment. It's definitely intentional, too. Orochi is a major end game threat for the three conspiracies. It's basically a modernized conspiracy in that it has more of a corporate bent to it.

It gets to the point where it's possible to notice a minor freakout by the end of the dragon storyline, when the faction heads of that faction realize that Orochi is out-maneuvering them in the whole predictive outcomes thing. There's even references made to the dragon having a head like it was mentioned several times in the story, and Orochi having eight of them for each megacorp under its control.

About the only faction that gets off on that point is the Templars. Mostly by virtue of the fact that they don't give as much of a poo poo about absolute control of the world. They're more concerned with making sure that it doesn't end the week after tomorrow due to the cock-ups of the other two factions and whatever nasties are kicking around at the moment.

Of course this kind of works in Orochi's favor too. Since they make some oblique references about not caring about the damage they do, since the fallout of their experiments will eventually attract the Templar's attention to clean up the mess. Plus, it means the Templars are often too busy playing damage control to go after the instigators in any meaningful way.

Most of this stuff is hidden behind multiple unlocks though, so you wouldn't notice it without really looking. The lore in this game is really nifty like that. A lot of the unlocks can take on a different meaning when viewed in a different light/more information.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 14, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Archonex posted:

About the only faction that gets off on that point is the Templars. Mostly by virtue of the fact that they don't give as much of a poo poo about absolute control of the world. They're more concerned with making sure that it doesn't end the week after tomorrow due to the cock-ups of the other two factions and whatever nasties are kicking around at the moment.

Don't kid yourself. The Templar are themselves authoritarian control freaks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

guppy posted:

Exactly right. The only reason they aren't being outdone by Orochi is because they don't have any skills for Orochi to outdo them in.

The Templars have two things on their side, one of them being history. The fact that they've basically straight-up refused to move forward for millennia means that they've got a really good handle on events and techniques of the past. Now, those events and techniques are obsolete as poo poo, and they gave up far more in their effort to grip them as tight as they can, but they have them.

The other is self-righteousness, and that's basically the entire reason they get so much love from the playerbase (and thus the developers, although it's debatable which came first there). They're just as bad as everyone else, if not worse, but they're the only ones with the sense to directly lie to people. They're the only ones who pretend to be right, and so pretty much everyone falls for it because we want there to be 'good guys' somewhere in there, people want to make The Right Choice.

And I'm still not sure how much of a threat Orochi is to the societies. Aside from the 'gently caress the world, drown it in Filth for reasons that are unclear' thing, they're rarely actually against the societies. More often than not, they're actually working with the societies to investigate or clean up something. This latest DLC has been the only time Orochi have actively moved against them, and that's if Lilith's even with them (I'm not entirely clear on that, but I think she's with them). Every other time we go up against Orochi, it's because they've already got their claws into the body and we want to find out what they know.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

guppy posted:

They're a different brand of authoritarian control freak, yeah. But of the three factions presented, they're probably the lesser choice of evils. The big difference is that they aren't pushing a FYGM or "turn people against each other, eat the poor" viewpoint to get into/keep power like the Illuminati are implied to be building up to doing. Hell, they've even got a corrupt senator in one of their control rooms implying that last thing.

The Illuminati are a very worldly sort of evil compared to the lovecraftian nightmares the factions are supposed to be fighting. A few of their members outright state that they're full up on pretty much enslaving anyone without the power to resist them. Which becomes very clear when you run the logic of their viewpoints down to their final destination. Plus, they can't stop leaving horrifying artifacts lying around/making Orochi sized messes periodically. A good portion of Solomon Island is their fault.

The Dragon are pretty much delusional idiots, really. They keep getting shown throughout their factional storyline that they have nowhere near the control over the future they think they do, and that their random acts of terrorism/violence are probably needless collateral damage most of the time.

Yet they still keep doing them, if only to confuse the other big factions. And it still ends up being in vain in the end since it turns out Orochi is playing multi-dimensional chess to their checkers when it comes to predictive outcomes. Meaning they pretty much completely failed to achieve anything of note by the end. Meaning all the lives they screwed up and damage they regularly inflict on random innocent people is pretty much for nothing except waving their dicks in the wind to the other factions. Granted, this may change in the future, but for the moment they look like huge idiots with a hard on for anarchy when viewed from within the faction.

Contrast that with the Templars. Excepting the fact that all of the factions can handle the current crises in the game, they establish that they have a reputation of getting poo poo done whenever something with too many tentacles rears its head.

What's more, the setting is ridiculously grimdark when you get down to it. Since by the time monsters are running around in the open the locals left alive are usually all dead men walking. Given that, their approach on "focus on the monsters, not the people" to solving problems before they get even worse looks saintly compared to the other two groups. Heck, the Tyler Freeborn series even confirms the pragmatism of this in a very depressing way, while also making a callback to the first big Templar conversation subtlety warning you that everyone on that island is probably going to die horribly.

Their main issue is that they originally wanted to stamp out all individuality and personal freedom in the name of safety. And that that stems from them being so insanely traditional that they can't even get new blood into their ranks half the time, meaning they're severely undermanned when it comes to fighting some of the monsters that show up.

But at least they aren't literally imagining how they can feed the poor into some sort of lovecraftian power generator while listening to Lady Gaga. Or making useless gestures towards the world while it burns down just because they can.

Of course, this kind of underlines just how hilariously hosed the setting is. The closest thing the setting has to true blue good guys could probably sub in as a minor faction in Warhammer 40K. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 13, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Archonex posted:

The lore in this game is really nifty like that. A lot of the unlocks can take on a different meaning when viewed in a different light/more information.
That's definitely something I noticed. The lore locations roughly correspond to the content, and the difficulty of finding them seems to corresponds to a order of reading. Noticed it most recently when I got the final Guardian lore in Fusang, but also I think in Facility.

I read somewhere that another way you could see it is the three factions being against the three big organisations we encounter. The Illuminati have the Orochi, the Templars have the Phoenicians (an upstart militant secret society) and the Dragon have the Morninglight (yeah alright this one's a bit of a stretch). It's just that the Orochi seem to get the most content of the three.

Though hold on, issue 7 spoilers: Lilith says to Emma "You can't choose her. Samael chose her!" Or something along the lines of that. Samuel Chandra is Orochi CEO. Maybe he's not completely terrible?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I really hope to see more of the Morninglight in Tokyo. Their story kind of ended as a damp squib in Transylvania, but the repeated use of "We're all made of stars" from their lore in Issue #7 makes me think they'll still play a part.

Samuel has IMO cut off Lilith from Orochi in general, that's why she needed our help to get through Hatchet Falls and The Nursery. He was also pretty pissed off at her opening the Breach, if you listen to the audio from the when you first enter the Breach..

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zephonith posted:

I read somewhere that another way you could see it is the three factions being against the three big organisations we encounter. The Illuminati have the Orochi, the Templars have the Phoenicians (an upstart militant secret society) and the Dragon have the Morninglight (yeah alright this one's a bit of a stretch). It's just that the Orochi seem to get the most content of the three.

Though hold on, issue 7 spoilers: Lilith says to Emma "You can't choose her. Samael chose her!" Or something along the lines of that. Samuel Chandra is Orochi CEO. Maybe he's not completely terrible?

From what I've heard, the Orochi, Phoenicians and Morninglight are going to be the big three 'end-game opponents', but they'll get focused on one at a time. Orochi and Tokyo's first on the list, but in that one 12 hour Egypt DLC stream Joel said that once they've been sufficiently dealt with, target two is the Phoenicians. The Morninglight are third, I suppose.

And on the Issue 7 spoilers: We have precious little to go on about Samael. We know he's the head of Orochi, and we heard him over the intercom in The Breach at the end of the Transylvania story mission. He and Lilith definitely had some kind of falling out, that much is clear from both of them, but Samael sounded like he was more lamenting the situation, while Lilith's angry about it.

Predictions about that are difficult, and why I'm hesitant about labelling Orochi as straight-up bad guys. My own theory-crafting here: Lilith is responsible for a lot of the really shady poo poo Orochi does. She's definitely the one behind everything around Emma and their activities in the Carpathians, which is the only Orochi plan we've seen that's even gone remotely well. Going back to pre-Orochi times, she was also almost definitely the woman that caused the split between the Templars and Phoenicians back in the days of Babel.

Samael, on the other hand, might be a genuinely good guy. We've seen almost nothing from him, but what we have seen indicates that he's got a lot more of a heart in him. I'm thinking he might be the guy to thank for Orochi's positive support of the societies. Look at your upgradeable purple gear; it's Orochi, but it's not Orochi's own standard-issue, it's a sleeker, white design. The only objectively good Orochi guy we know, Dragon Dzarovich, wears white too. Perhaps the 'White Orochi' is representative of Samael's support, while the 'Black Orochi' are indicative of people doing Lilith's work.

I admit I got a bit conspiratorial at the end there, but that's what my brain does at one thirty in the morning.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Zephonith posted:

That's definitely something I noticed. The lore locations roughly correspond to the content, and the difficulty of finding them seems to corresponds to a order of reading. Noticed it most recently when I got the final Guardian lore in Fusang, but also I think in Facility.

Some big Orochi spoilers:

Samuel Chandra is heavily implied to be an angel, or whatever the hell Eblis actually is. IE: Samuel=Samael. You might otherwise know him by another name he goes by: Satan.

"Samael (Hebrew: סמאל‎) (also Sammael, Samil is an important archangel in Talmudic and post-Talmudic lore, a figure who is accuser, seducer and destroyer, and has been regarded as both good and evil. It is said that he was the guardian angel of Esau and a patron of the Roman empire.

He is considered in legend a member of the heavenly host (with often grim and destructive duties), in the New Testament named Satan and the chief of the evil spirits. One of Samael's greatest roles in Jewish lore is that of the angel of death. He remains one of the Lord's servants even though he appears to want men to do evil. As a good angel, Samael resides in the seventh heaven, although he is declared to be the chief angel of the fifth heaven."

Weirdly enough, he waffles back and forth between kind of condescending, and claiming he's working in your best interest. I guess whether he's a good guy or not depends on whether or not they're going with the "prideful Satan" interpretation of him. Since I can't see how he'd be a straight villain given the interactions i've seen of him so far otherwise. Maybe that changed in Issue 7 though? I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Unless it's a red herring, it's definitely for sure that he's trying to recreate the earlier age that was prior to Hell being made. Some of the lore implies that Hell came about due to the end of the age before that, with Hell being the resulting burned out wasteland that was left over when the poo poo stopped hitting the fan. Ergo, the entire storyline with Wicker, and all the burned out faux-industrial architecture you can see in the Hell instances.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 13, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Issue 7 adds a fair bit in terms of the overarching plot. Go and play it already!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I assume there's still no good way to get into Fusang aside from queuing and praying?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Tortolia posted:

I assume there's still no good way to get into Fusang aside from queuing and praying?

If your on grim, arcadia, drac or cerb, no amount of praying with help you. That battlegroup is broken.

On another note, I7 Spoilers:

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 13, 2013

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

HughGRect posted:

If your on grim, arcadia, drac or cerb, no amount of praying with help you. That battlegroup is broken.

Oh well, got the other 8 golems, no big deal.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Not So Fast posted:

I really hope to see more of the Morninglight in Tokyo. Their story kind of ended as a damp squib in Transylvania, but the repeated use of "We're all made of stars" from their lore in Issue #7 makes me think they'll still play a part.

Samuel has IMO cut off Lilith from Orochi in general, that's why she needed our help to get through Hatchet Falls and The Nursery. He was also pretty pissed off at her opening the Breach, if you listen to the audio from the when you first enter the Breach..

To clarify:

That is the same voice that you hear/talk to in the sabotage/investigation missions in the Blue Mountain and CotSG orochi camps, right?

Also, a split within Orochi would make perfect sense, all of Carpathian Fangs is "Orochi gets wrecked because Lilith got Mara to call on a Vampire Crusade to get into the Chasm." Doesn't The Red Thread show that Lilith is the reason Mara turned into a vampire/turned against Dracula? So, long plan there. Dunno why a member of the Host would trust Lilith, but hopefully we see Chandra in Tokyo.

Great stuff in your post, Archonex.

(my classes end in two weeks I will honestly make the wiki then)

Cheston fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 13, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Cheston posted:

To clarify:

That is the same voice that you hear/talk to in the sabotage/investigation missions in the Blue Mountain and CotSG orochi camps, right?

Also, a split within Orochi would make perfect sense, all of Carpathian Fangs is "Orochi gets wrecked because Lilith got Mara to call on a Vampire Crusade to get into the Chasm." Doesn't The Red Thread show that Lilith is the reason Mara turned into a vampire/turned against Dracula? So, long plan there. Dunno why a member of the Host would trust Lilith, but hopefully we see Chandra in Tokyo.

Great stuff in your post, Archonex.

(my classes end in two weeks I will honestly make the wiki then)

Glad you appreciate it. I spent awhile sperging out on the game's lore (It's so frigging deep. It's nice to be able to play occult investigator for realsies for once. :v:) before it stopped letting me play as much due to the bugs that cropped up for awhile. So I managed to put together a bunch of pieces with the help of wikipedia and a decent background in mythology.

On the issue of Samael and company:

He sounded more distraught to me. Him questioning why Lilith was doing this over the speakers made it seem more like he felt he had been betrayed. There's definitely a split, though. I probably need to play Issue 7 to read up on that stuff more. :(

Another thing that might be a red herring, I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the ages that are listed in one of the newer lore items may be deliberately miswritten in a certain way to throw you off.

One of the ages is listed as what could be considered two ages. I say this because, going off of the known intentions of Samael, what we know of the past ages so far, what happened to Hell, and what the Filth, Gaia Engines, etc, etc might actually be indicative of; the listed order they give makes no loving sense at all.

I originally took the correction someone gave at face value. But then when I tried to match the ages up I found out that the details don't quite mix together that well like that. So either there's some really meta lore sperging going on there you have to do, or the proper order of the ages presents the next age as some sort of nightmarish lovecraftian apocalypse for humanity.

There's also a running theme of decay and things breaking down as each age progresses. Which helps fit the narrative of the ages being improperly listed in the lore. It's been awhile since I went over it, but from what I recall the first age basically was implied to be paradise/oblivion (depending on your interpretations of the lore and whether or not the bees are necessarily a "good" eldritch abomination), the next had some folks basically living as gods, the next introduced Hell as that fell apart, the next had humanity taking dominance after the cock ups of the last few ages, and the prophesized next age's name sounds like something on a black metal album cover.

I'd need to look up the order again, but every bit of lore makes it seem like they're leaving room open for a potential fake out on that point. There's even tons of evidence of it in the game world. Like the magazine covers in London showing Samuel Chandra in an interview, with the not-so-subtle references to the end of an age and the start of a new one. Or the fact that the lore itself says that this age is the last chance to stop the cycle of things getting more and more hosed up.

Or Morninglight and their whole "we are made of stars" thing actually referencing them cannibalizing fellow cult members to go try and turn themselves into...Something else in preparation for an upcoming event. Which is a whole bag of worms to itself, since there isn't enough info given yet to say whether they're trying to get in touch with some Hellboy-esque Ogdru Jahad star eating monsters, or if the cultists in question are just batshit crazy. Most of that content is linked to the soviet facility instance, and I barely recall most of it.

I almost wonder if the state of Tokyo is linked into the "two potential interpretations of the order of the ages" thing, since the devs have said that player decisions can interpret its appearance. That'd make sense, since then they can just call the one they don't want to go with a red herring and go from there. Assuming I didn't miss something important when looking them over, that is.

It's kind of funny how the more you look into the lore, the more it seems to imply how utterly hosed Earth is. I get Delta Green vibes from it in that it seems to imply that Earth is probably hosed, but maybe something can survive if the right people make the right sacrifices.

From what I recall, it's basically caught between a three/four/possibly more way clusterfuck of a cold war between (possibly) exiled angels, whatever the gently caress the Filth is, star devouring mollusk gods, crazy humans, the thing that's sleeping beneath the Sargasso Sea (Which may or may not be part of the "prime" filth infection.), and maybe the legions of hell depending on if Eblis and company become a factor in the future outside of the Wicker storyline.

Oh, and on top of that, there's a possibility that the Illuminati labyrinth (IE: The place built to basically outlast the apocalypse.) is already corrupted by the Filth. Since I think the lore reveals that the Mayans were wiped out when they came in contact with it, and the Labyrinth is actually apparently heavily designed off of some of their constructions according to another lore snippet.

Given that the Filth can outright shift its infection vector at will from aerial, liquid, and mold forms, and even infect through radio signals and other implausible infection vectors, that seems like a remarkably bad culture to copy stuff from in this setting. Especially when you consider that everyone is coy about what the elder conspiracy members look like, where they're stationed at in the complex, and hell, even the basic structure of the place seems to be half-way unknown.

Zephonith posted:

Issue 7 adds a fair bit in terms of the overarching plot. Go and play it already!

I would, but every time I try to download it it the patcher freezes up any other activity on my computer. No clue why. Means I have to either let it run overnight, or find some spare time to download about 6 gigs of data. :stonk:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 14, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Archonex posted:

It's kind of funny how the more you look into the lore, the more it seems to imply how utterly hosed Earth is. I get Delta Green vibes from it in that it seems to imply that Earth is probably hosed, but maybe something can survive if the right people make the right sacrifices.

The issue is, nobody is trying to stop it, outside of the PCs.

The Illuminati storyline makes it very clear that the Templar have the armies, but are using them against the Illuminati right now, because they are still so mad about America/the Old World, and care more about petty squabbles then actually winning the war. The Dragon is doing everything in it's power to sabotage the other two factions, because right now is when everyone is at their weakest. The Orochi have ties to the Filth, and seem to be one of the main bad guys. And the Phoenicians seem to be planning their revenge for presumably WW2.

The Illuminati, at least upfront are the only faction throwing everything into the secret war ( Alex and Sarah, along with the PC if Illuminati are all part of the main task group. ). And even they are taking part in the power plays, according to some of the stuff I've heard from the endgame.

Mind you, the furthest I've gotten is Egypt, so most of this is from trolling this thread/Funcoms Lore Subforum, so the Illuminati might turn out to be totally evil/sabotaging everything as well, and I wouldn't know, but it still does confirm the obvious. Nobody cares about the secret war, everyone only cares that now is the best time to take out old enemies.

Basically, Earth isn't hosed because it's supposed to be. Earth is hosed because humans are dumb.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Rookersh posted:

The issue is, nobody is trying to stop it, outside of the PCs.

The Illuminati storyline makes it very clear that the Templar have the armies, but are using them against the Illuminati right now, because they are still so mad about America/the Old World, and care more about petty squabbles then actually winning the war. The Dragon is doing everything in it's power to sabotage the other two factions, because right now is when everyone is at their weakest. The Orochi have ties to the Filth, and seem to be one of the main bad guys. And the Phoenicians seem to be planning their revenge for presumably WW2.

The Illuminati, at least upfront are the only faction throwing everything into the secret war ( Alex and Sarah, along with the PC if Illuminati are all part of the main task group. ). And even they are taking part in the power plays, according to some of the stuff I've heard from the endgame.

Mind you, the furthest I've gotten is Egypt, so most of this is from trolling this thread/Funcoms Lore Subforum, so the Illuminati might turn out to be totally evil/sabotaging everything as well, and I wouldn't know, but it still does confirm the obvious. Nobody cares about the secret war, everyone only cares that now is the best time to take out old enemies.

Basically, Earth isn't hosed because it's supposed to be. Earth is hosed because humans are dumb.

I edited it in about when you made that post, but there's a big caveat to what you mention.

The Illuminati HQ probably has been overrun by the Filth already. Like I mentioned up above, it's built off of architecture from a society that outright was rendered extinct by the Filth when they poked their noses in the wrong place.

In fact, they've been dropping little hints about how it's so dangerous since the start of the Illuminati intro. It's just that they didn't really mean much individually until they came together under an existing narrative. Given how the Filth can outright infect people off of things as innocuous as radio signals, that is a very bad thing if they choose to make that bit of foreshadowing a reality.

Combine that with the Illuminati's habit of playing fast and loose with safety, the fact that apparently no one except for Geary has seen one of the conspiracy's elders in awhile (and she could be bullshitting on that front), the creator of the place having killed himself (Read up on some of the people the Filth references having granted power too, none of them have a good fate.) due to a sudden onset of insanity, the place being built to be unexplorable due to arcane geometries, and its overall origins, and it looks like the Illuminati are having a potential story development where they basically get kneecapped/infected wholesale by the Filth.

So you can probably take the vast majority of them (outside of the PC's) out of the running at some point in the game's future. It might explain what was going on with the NYC raid too.

Heck, the visual layout of the place is reminiscent of a few a few filth infected areas that haven't been totally revealed yet. The playable area is set over top of a gaping abyss, it's said to be semi-sentient in that it can confuse people trying to map it, it's built to be far deeper than it looks, and no one has been all the way to the bottom in a very long time.

If some of the traits of the place sound familiar, that's because the layout of the labyrinth is pretty much the the exact same as Agartha, only man made. Agartha apparently has a sea of the stuff present at the bottom, eating away at it. The closest anyone has got to a sea of the filth was in the Tyler Freeborn storyline. Imagine that brewing at the bottom of the labyrinth, slowly pouring in from some conquered nightmare dimension, filling up the lower halls that no one goes too anymore as it creeps up to the surface of New York City, drowning/infecting everyone inside on the high security/forgotten levels as it goes.

And the best part is, the labyrinth was made to be apocalypse proof. So once it's in, good loving luck getting it out. Especially since it's in a major population center, and can basically infest the place. It'd probably make Tokyo look nice by comparison.

The irony of that is that it means that if they go down that route, the Templars are absolutely right. The Illuminati are a threat that needs to be stopped at any cost before they can wreck the planet. It's just that the Templars have the wrong reason for it, and the lower ranked Illuminati probably don't have any clue they're sitting on ground zero of the apocalypse.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 14, 2013

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
So guys, I'm in Fusang ganking the golem again. Anyone here on BG-A who hasn't been able to get in or otherwise still needs a pet?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'm taking this out of spoilers because we're no onger speculating on 1.7-evidenced Orochi business.

Archonex posted:

Stuff about the Illumianti unknowingly harboring Filth Ground Zero

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am going to ask you to cite your sources. I was suspicious about this because it sounds a bit ridiculous and I surely would've noticed any of this, so I looked into it.

I have every lore, so I checked all categories that could have possibly referred to the Labyrinth in this context (the Illuminati and Filth categories in particular, I also looked at Agartha, The Buzzing, Gaia Engines, and the Host), and it's barely mentioned at all, only getting one part of the Illuminati entries. I also asked every single NPC in the Labyrinth, including Zurn who I only barely remembered, and they never say anything of the like. Literally the only reference to anything resembling any of this comes from Geary, who mentions that the Labyrinth was designed by an architect flown in from Germany. It's based on occult architecture, but it's European in nature, not Mayan.

In addition, there is no mention whatsoever of 'Illuminati higher-ups' never being seen. We likely never see many higher-ups in the Illuminati simply because they aren't important.

So I'm calling bullshit. There's no reference to the Labyrinth being Filthy, Mayan, or even all that suspicious. I know that people in RP often treat the Labyrinth as being rather difficult to navigate, but it's always depicted as strictly Euclidian; complex, yes, but it's not disobeying the laws of reality.

Without knowing where you got your information, I'm going to assume you got suckered in by fanfiction.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

I'm taking this out of spoilers because we're no onger speculating on 1.7-evidenced Orochi business.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am going to ask you to cite your sources. I was suspicious about this because it sounds a bit ridiculous and I surely would've noticed any of this, so I looked into it.

I have every lore, so I checked all categories that could have possibly referred to the Labyrinth in this context (the Illuminati and Filth categories in particular, I also looked at Agartha, The Buzzing, Gaia Engines, and the Host), and it's barely mentioned at all, only getting one part of the Illuminati entries. I also asked every single NPC in the Labyrinth, including Zurn who I only barely remembered, and they never say anything of the like. Literally the only reference to anything resembling any of this comes from Geary, who mentions that the Labyrinth was designed by an architect flown in from Germany. It's based on occult architecture, but it's European in nature, not Mayan.

In addition, there is no mention whatsoever of 'Illuminati higher-ups' never being seen. We likely never see many higher-ups in the Illuminati simply because they aren't important.

So I'm calling bullshit. There's no reference to the Labyrinth being Filthy, Mayan, or even all that suspicious. I know that people in RP often treat the Labyrinth as being rather difficult to navigate, but it's always depicted as strictly Euclidian; complex, yes, but it's not disobeying the laws of reality.

Without knowing where you got your information, I'm going to assume you got suckered in by fanfiction.

He makes an interesting point with the Labyrinth being built by a genius architect from Germany who killed himself, and a similar trend with people who negotiate with the dudes being chained up by the Gaia Engines, but I'm pretty sure the intent with that first point was for effect, like "look how fuckin crazy our secret basement is" (though what we see is in reality pretty goddamn sad, especially compared with Temple Square). The rest of it is :tinfoil: and bullshit.

e: Also, the reclusive higher-ups are mentioned by Geary at some point, but I don't know how much of that is serious, considering how off-hand and flippant Geary is. It would be pretty hilarious if some of the upper echelon of the Illuminati are in fact from the Hell Dimensions.

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Protagorean posted:

He makes an interesting point with the Labyrinth being built by a genius architect from Germany who killed himself, and a similar trend with people who negotiate with the dudes being chained up by the Gaia Engines, but I'm pretty sure the intent with that first point was for effect, like "look how fuckin crazy our secret basement is" (though what we see is in reality pretty goddamn sad, especially compared with Temple Square). The rest of it is :tinfoil: and bullshit.

Actually, that wasn't mentioned either. Geary mentions the architect was German, but makes no reference to him killing himself, or going crazy, or... actually anything, outside of him being German.

• Locked thread