Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The actual Desmond gameplay portions in three were actually pretty good though. Really immersing with no HUD, and cool environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I checked out the Daily Log app yesterday to see how much I've actually been using my Wii U ever since I got it back in December and I was honestly pretty surprised. My top 5 were:

1. Rayman Legends Challenge App - 145 hours :pwn:
2. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 62 hours
3. New Super Mario Bros U - 45 hours
4. Sonic Racing Transformed - 27 hours
5. Netflix - 24 Hours

I've also spent a total of like 20 hours looking through Miiverse but I almost always the browser version now so playtime doesn't get logged for that.

My Top 10 (on my account, a few games would be higher if I added up accounts but screw that)

Nintendo Land - 47:16
New Super Mario Bros. U - 23:01
Game & Wario - 15:32
Internet Browser - 14:57
Netflix - 14:19
Lego City Undercover - 9:57
Sonic Transformed - 8:54
ZombiU - 7:25
Miiverse - 7:08
Hulu Plus - 4:29
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 4:20

Scary how I haven't owned Game & Wario for a week and it's already #3 on that list. I'm not done with any of those games at all too, still plenty more gameplay coming.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Top 5
1. Netflix: 145 Hours
2. Internet Browser: 48 Hours
3. Sonic Racing Transformed: 35 Hours
4. The Cave: 5 Hours
5. MiiVerse: 5 Hours

So yeah, my Wii U has for the most part been a Netflix/YouTube on Internet Browser device.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Wait, how are you guys getting those top 5's and 10's?

I can only see daily listings. And Netflix is my current (And probably will always be) highest time with a staggering 526:38 on it.

:stare: It would probably be less if I had some actual games to play on here besides the few VC games I've bought and the two Retail games I own but I'm not getting Game and Wario for a while and once the first party games (Along with other games that I'm looking at like Bayo 2 or W101) start rolling in again I'll probably stop using it as my Netflix box so much.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Wait, how are you guys getting those top 5's and 10's?

I can only see daily listings. And Netflix is my current (And probably will always be) highest time with a staggering 526:38 on it.

:stare: It would probably be less if I had some actual games to play on here besides the few VC games I've bought and the two Retail games I own but I'm not getting Game and Wario for a while and once the first party games (Along with other games that I'm looking at like Bayo 2 or W101) start rolling in again I'll probably stop using it as my Netflix box so much.

If you click the game/app it'll tell you the total amount of time on the game.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope

Help Im Alive posted:

I checked out the Daily Log app yesterday to see how much I've actually been using my Wii U ever since I got it back in December and I was honestly pretty surprised. My top 5 were:

1. Rayman Legends Challenge App - 145 hours :pwn:
2. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 62 hours
3. New Super Mario Bros U - 45 hours
4. Sonic Racing Transformed - 27 hours
5. Netflix - 24 Hours

I've also spent a total of like 20 hours looking through Miiverse but I almost always the browser version now so playtime doesn't get logged for that.

Good god man, I've probably barely cracked the 24 hour mark with my launch unit. PS3 trophies call to me ...

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

my top 5 are...

1.Netflix - 199 hours
2.New super mario bros. U - 62 hours
3.Sonic racing transformed - 59 hours
4.Scribblenauts unlimited - 22 hours
5.Rayman legends App - 12 hours

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
1. New Super Mario Bros. U - 22:48
2. Internet Browser - 5:28
3. Super Metroid - 2:44
4. Miiverse - 2:41
5. Nintendo Land - 2:13

$350 well spent.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If you click the game/app it'll tell you the total amount of time on the game.

For each individual game? Man gently caress that why couldn't they have just done the same thing they did with the 3DS where it shows you rankings and your library of games (Which I loving love.)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Did we discuss the Summer firmware update yet? If not then you are in for a treat!

So when can we expect this Summer update?

:negative:

The link she posted goes here.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
There is however a small firmware update.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A new update was just pushed now. It's just for stability.

I wonder what this "summer update" is going to really add.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
It's hard for me to be excited about a firmware update when I never knew what it was for in the first place.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

There is however a small firmware update.

Hm, I guess I was wrong. Maybe this is the second half of of what they announced back in January?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's not. Basically it enables the Wii U to periodically check for updates when it's turned off and download/install them so it's ready to play next time you turn it on.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Hm, I guess I was wrong. Maybe this is the second half of of what they announced back in January?

My bad (kind of), it's a small system update while the summer firmware update is being pushed back according to Emily Rogers. Unless they are the same thing and it's just a play of words.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Still waiting on the ability to make purchases on other devices and download them remotely, which Iwata announced before the console came out.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

deadwing posted:

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 4:20

Don't play Monster Hunter ever again. :allears:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

This is why it's always safer, when presented with an entire season as a release date, to assume "a month or two after the season ends". The spring update was right on time, but that was just lucky.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Have they even hinted at what's going to be in the update? All I remember being advertised update-wise were videos about the loading time improvements on the system menu that were in the Spring update.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Nickoten posted:

Have they even hinted at what's going to be in the update? All I remember being advertised update-wise were videos about the loading time improvements on the system menu that were in the Spring update.

Even better load times.

That's it though.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Nickoten posted:

I remember rumors last year about cloud saves being added in 2013. I'm also hoping for a unified account system that'll probably come when the 3DS gets Miiverse, which is also supposed to be sometime soon. Of course, it'll probably just be more speed, but that'd be my wishlist right there.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A good (if slightly esoteric) feature would be audio sync between the Gamepad and TV. It's no longer an issue with my new TV, but with my old set there was an irreducible audio delay and it sounded horrible whenever the same sound played from both sets of speakers.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Thanks everyone on the words on AC3, I decided to just dive in and sorta ignore the awful space magic parts. I wish there was a way to play on both the Wii U Remote and TV at the same time (sorta like how Mario U works single-player) because I have awful eyesight but my partner wants to watch me play... So I have to sit up close to the TV to see what I'm doing most of the time :smith: (Off-TV play completely turns off the TV.)

Also has anyone who's played it on Wii U had weird graphical glitches? In the first area whenever I'm far-ish away from a sailboat the sails turn neon green and yellow.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

robodex posted:

Thanks everyone on the words on AC3, I decided to just dive in and sorta ignore the awful space magic parts. I wish there was a way to play on both the Wii U Remote and TV at the same time (sorta like how Mario U works single-player) because I have awful eyesight but my partner wants to watch me play... So I have to sit up close to the TV to see what I'm doing most of the time :smith: (Off-TV play completely turns off the TV.)

Also has anyone who's played it on Wii U had weird graphical glitches? In the first area whenever I'm far-ish away from a sailboat the sails turn neon green and yellow.

Yeap. AC3 did that a lot of weird things for me. There was a whole cutscene where the main character just didn't have a head.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's finally almost time

Would people be against a Pikmin thread?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's finally almost time

If it ends up like every other Wii U game thread I'd say it's not a great idea.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bland posted:

If it ends up like every other Wii U game thread I'd say it's not a great idea.

Ah well, was mainly just looking forward to talking Pikmin.

Speaking of, rewatching the video I noticed when the ship explodes it makes the infamous duck hunt noise :v:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Here's a stream of the first 3 hours, in Japanese.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/35715877

Game looks gorgeous.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 12, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
So I bought Game And Wario even though it got bad reviews

What a poo poo selection of MP games.

The only good one is pictionary, but I have been burned out on Words With Friends and all those other FREE apps on my phone.

Single player is better, but that's single player.

BEWARE

E: This goes to show how starved I am of MP games and what I'll spend to at least try it out. Come on Nintendo, this is loving weak.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

bushisms.txt posted:

Here's a stream of the first 3 hours, in Japanese.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/35715877

Game looks gorgeous.

I'm getting so mad at this player. It's like he recorded it on a VHS tape, and then the boss fight where he just stands still and kills every single pikmin without throwing a single one what the hell is with this guy :cripes:

There are buttons on the controller! Push them dude!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's finally almost time

Yes make a Pikmin thread, I want to talk about Pikmin.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is there a Piklopedia? That's all I want to know. :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kurtofan posted:

Is there a Piklopedia? That's all I want to know. :(

Judging by this video there is.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Of course there should be a Pikmin thread, what do you think that Wii U tag is for?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Does homebrew work on the wii-u's wii side? I'm trying to get a rip of my xenoblades so I can dolphin. Do I need to dig out my wii instead?

I'm looking at the OP and the modmii route.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

The only good one is pictionary, but I have been burned out on Words With Friends and all those other FREE apps on my phone.

BEWARE

E: This goes to show how starved I am of MP games and what I'll spend to at least try it out. Come on Nintendo, this is loving weak.
I did expect G&W to be more mutliplayer-focused. It's kind of the inverse of Nintendoland, with the single-player minigames being the real meat of the package and the MP thrown in as nice extras. So that caught me off guard, although I do feel like you're selling the pictionary a bit short. The tablet/TV setup for a drawing game offers a pretty unique party experience I feel like.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Kilazar posted:

Does homebrew work on the wii-u's wii side? I'm trying to get a rip of my xenoblades so I can dolphin. Do I need to dig out my wii instead?

I'm looking at the OP and the modmii route.

Yeah it works it Wii mode, but that's all I know.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

BEWARE

Islands is the poo poo and will start fights. 5 players is absolute madness.

If you didn't flip it yet at Gamestop, also give Miiverse Sketch a chance. It's surprisingly addictive and funny stuff comes out of it.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

BEWARE

Bowling multiplayer isn't completely bad. Design combined with booze and other people can be pretty alright(Fruit and Islands also benefit from alcohol).

• Locked thread