Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
I got the game and expansion during the sale earlier today, but I can't seem to launch the game in DX10/11 mode. DX9 seems to work though. Anyone have this problem and get it working? I don't mind DX9 mode, but I'd rather play with the recommended settings. I have a GTX 670, so I know my card supports it and my drivers are up to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Steve2911 posted:

In my first game every civ was extremely peaceful, so I completely ignored militarisation. Then my closest ally (and neighbour) declared war on me around turn 300, no one was willing to help and I was wiped out near-instantly.

I think the amount of gold they can generate via trade routes totally fucks with their aggression algorithms.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Does whether or not one AI will finish off another depend on the leader's personality? I took Athens from Alexander and apparently his only other city is one he took from the Inca. I've been hitting that city with cannons hoping the Inca would waltz in and spare me the genocide penalty, but they don't seem to be in much of a rush to bring any melee units to the party.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Inspector_71 posted:

I think the amount of gold they can generate via trade routes totally fucks with their aggression algorithms.

This might be it, the only times they seem to get testy is if someone really starts to gently caress with their trade or if someone has zero trade with them.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Lugaloco posted:

I'm having a really hard time getting past the first 100-150 or so turns in any game. Everything seems a lot slower and feels like I'm making no real progress whatsoever. This is on King by the way. I've bumped down to Prince but it still feels the same, I'm thinking I should just push through one game to see how it goes.

I'm with you on this. Both science and happiness seem really clamped down at the start of the game now, but they do ramp up eventually. It makes early conquest really tough.

The ai seems much more aggressive about expanding directly into your area- I just had the Shoshone build a city between my two beginning cities. Jerks.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Brannock posted:

Hmm. I don't have any of the additional maps available anymore in Single Player - I only have the default Continents, Archipelago, Pangaea, Fractal, Terra maps available. I could have sworn I was able to use the additional maps in Single Player before; they're available if I set up a game through the mod menu, so I know I still have access to those maps.

Any idea what happened?

If you're talking about the quick set up thing it only allows the basic map choices (iirc). In advanced set up you can go pick your map, but it will hold those settings for your next game in your quick set up.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

The Huns declared war on me pretty early. They only had a battering ram and crossbowman for range and a some spearmen for melee. Not sure what they were thinking. Rushed out a few catapults and went to work. Puppeted the capital and second city. Unhappiness shot up to 10 and I couldn't do enough damage to take the third so I peaced out. He went to neutral and wanted to exchange embassies. He couldn't care less that I took two of his cities. I'm sure we'll be bros again the next era.

I've noticed the AI being more passive, what with Montezuma being 2nd in a tech lead in one game. However, if you let your guard down, they will make you pay for it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ChikoDemono posted:

The Huns declared war on me pretty early. They only had a battering ram and crossbowman for range and a some spearmen for melee. Not sure what they were thinking.

He was thinking he could win, because battering rams are amazing.

I guess he waited too long, though, if you had catapults of your own.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

They are, but he only built one. I focused fire that thing so hard.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ChikoDemono posted:

The Huns declared war on me pretty early. They only had a battering ram and crossbowman for range and a some spearmen for melee. Not sure what they were thinking. Rushed out a few catapults and went to work. Puppeted the capital and second city. Unhappiness shot up to 10 and I couldn't do enough damage to take the third so I peaced out. He went to neutral and wanted to exchange embassies. He couldn't care less that I took two of his cities. I'm sure we'll be bros again the next era.

I've noticed the AI being more passive, what with Montezuma being 2nd in a tech lead in one game. However, if you let your guard down, they will make you pay for it.

I'm starting to think that the reports about smarter military AI were just false positives. They're still braindead stupid when it comes to military matters. I think the passivity has to do with there being a lot more non-military stuff to produce, so the AI spends a lot less time building military units. Their weaker military leads to them declaring war less often, and when they do declare war they end up with lackluster armies.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If you pay careful attention to AI behavior via the tooltips and their responses, it's pretty easy to keep the peace by stepping lightly.

That said, if you're stupid about interacting with them, they WILL declare war. I was playing an MP game with a friend and he was pissed that they 'declared war out of nowhere and wiped out all his trade routes'.

... except he had been stealing Rome's city states, had all his trade routes with Rome, and Rome was pissed about it.

Things also get messy with religion and much messier with ideology. This is pretty cool too, because it means early game borders and friendships/religion can cause wars, but if not, late game ideologies definitely cause conflicts to erupt.

If you have a big lead and you've played peacefully by that point you may still rush on to victory if you have good momentum, it kind of feels like ideologies come into play a little too late if you have a good lead. I haven't played enough games to completion to be certain about that yet though.

I may do some Industrial Era starts for a few games, I want to fight some modern combat.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ChikoDemono posted:

How'd they have spearmen? Why'd they wait until they had crossbows?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

TheAsterite posted:

I got the game and expansion during the sale earlier today, but I can't seem to launch the game in DX10/11 mode. DX9 seems to work though. Anyone have this problem and get it working? I don't mind DX9 mode, but I'd rather play with the recommended settings. I have a GTX 670, so I know my card supports it and my drivers are up to date.

Are you running Windows XP? XP doesn't support anything higher than 9. Stop running XP and buy Win 7/8.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Lorini posted:

Are you running Windows XP? XP doesn't support anything higher than 9. Stop running XP and buy Win 7/8.

I'm running Windows 7, and my directx version and gpu drivers are up to date.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

After checking an old autosave, I confused two different games. The Huns weren't nearly as stupid as I originally thought.

The Huns attacked me around turn 105 with one battering ram with cover, a horse archer, handful of warriors, and a Great General. By the time they attacked I had composite crossbows and catapults I bought.

Jesus, that one battering ram took my city down to 1/4 health.

Seemed like their entire goal was to raze a city that was blocking their expansion.

ChikoDemono fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 12, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is there a higher diplomacy hit for razing cities than simply capturing and keeping them? The AI seems really unhappy with me right now. But these god damned assholes settled cities on my island! :argh:

Considering my relatively modest army is #1 in the world I have a feeling that my world is populated entirely by peace loving hippies. So I guess that means it's time to change up strategies and go Honor + Autocracy.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What does it mean when a social policy says it unlocks a wonder? I can still build it without having the right policy and can still be beaten to it if i do. What's the deal?

Is there a neat page that lists the changes from G&K? Very sad about rivertiles being boring now, wondering what else there is to consider.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dongattack posted:

What does it mean when a social policy says it unlocks a wonder? I can still build it without having the right policy and can still be beaten to it if i do. What's the deal?

Is there a neat page that lists the changes from G&K? Very sad about rivertiles being boring now, wondering what else there is to consider.

Unlocking the policy trees themselves unlocks the wonder, not any specific policy. Opening up Aesthetics unlocks Uffizi for example. You shouldn't be able to begin building them without doing that first.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dongattack posted:

I haven't seen a neat summary unfortunately.

Rivers give access to fresh water for farms (+1 food with Civil Service), the Watermill building (2 food 1 prod), the Garden building (+25% great people generation), and I think there might be one or two others I'm forgetting.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Dongattack posted:

You shouldn't be able to build it unless you've started that policy branch so if you can that's a bug, and you can be beaten to it if other people start that policy branch/ideology as well.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is there a higher diplomacy hit for razing cities than simply capturing and keeping them? The AI seems really unhappy with me right now. But these god damned assholes settled cities on my island! :argh:

Considering my relatively modest army is #1 in the world I have a feeling that my world is populated entirely by peace loving hippies. So I guess that means it's time to change up strategies and go Honor + Autocracy.

Nope, same hit. Burn away.

Also have they changed the timing on social polices any for BNW? I get the Honor opening whenever i build Oracle because i don't want to get the piety opener.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

victrix posted:

Rivers give access to fresh water for farms (+1 food with Civil Service), the Watermill building (2 food 1 prod), the Garden building (+25% great people generation), and I think there might be one or two others I'm forgetting.

The hydro plant too. They're still pretty useful for the early food bonus but not nearly as mandatory as before.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Starks posted:

You shouldn't be able to build it unless you've started that policy branch so if you can that's a bug, and you can be beaten to it if other people start that policy branch/ideology as well.

Yeah, i went for the small focused one that unlocks Hanging Garden's as Venice, but could totally still build the liberty specific wonder.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Davincie posted:

Man the AI is just incredibly peaceful now. I had my first war at turn 444 as Brazil against a desperate Assyria. Needless to say I crushed him easily and got my cultural victory 2 turns later, a diplomatic one was lined up for 4 turns later as well. And this is on Emperor.

Yeah, no. Not getting this. I just fought a nightmarishly intense battle from the early industrial age into the information age. Mongolia was my neighbor, and he had run away in a different direction, while I stayed tall and pumped out science and culture with 4 great big tall cities.

The political situation that evolved from this is loving bananas. He busts out on the Khan warpath with his horses, expands all over a huge continent, guts Polynesia and Babylon in the process. Naturally, he shifts right into Autocracy. There was a little friction between us, but a mountain range and an ocean bay made him easy to shrug off.

Because everyone saw him as an early aggressive warmonger, the other AIs around the map (this map has 4 continents, 1 huge and 3 medium) naturally aligned with me against him in trading and sentiments, which resulted in 4 civs following my lead into Order, Hiawatha, Bismark, and Attila. These 3 guys are all essentially tied for first place with Genghis at this point,

So the rat bastard Khan decides to double down on the Fascism. He uses his enormous land base to spawn a brood of Archaeologists that scour the globe, and by Modern Era he's got Iroquoian cities actually revolting from his tourism all the way across a loving large map with an ocean in between!.

Watching my shaky proletarian coalition unravel in the wind of the fascist storm is unbearable, and so my formerly peaceful nation of artists and scientists goes to war against some seriously impossible odds. Like, 6 to 1 odds. In the middle of a desperate stand against a frothing carpet of infantry and artillery, I managed to ratify Order as the global ideology, which flips the happiness situation completely around on him. His happiness goes over -30, and his empire basically slams into a wall. Still shitloads of units left to kill though.

I just took his capital, which is the nearest Capital to mine on the map. The whole battle lasted almost four hours of real time.

I don't know what game you're playing man.

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 12, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh no, Bismark, I didn't loving pop a Liberty finisher GE to try and get the Petra you just sniped or anything in a city with one loving desert tile.

gently caress that poo poo. Guess this counts as my first BNW ragequit.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Part of it is what civs you end up with in the game - some are just a lot more warlike. We need an infographic that summarizes their behavior. The chart of raw modifiers is a bit unreadable.

Honestly I wish they showed that in-game as a tooltip so you know what you're dealing with. Knowing how they generally behave removes a lot of 'wtf, the AI did <thing> randomly!'

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Anybody else think that this game's warfare might work better if melee and ranged units could share the same tile? It just seems like a change that would really spare the AI some trouble, and make sieges/hill fighting less tedious and annoying for players in general.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

victrix posted:

They get some trading bonus, if I recall, but they aren't as lucrative as the sea trading bonuses. You can also build the hydro plant for a late game productivity bonus.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Honor as an opener is way more viable to me, now. Because it lets you know where those goddamned barbarians are so they don't raid your trade routes!

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Speaking of Honor, I wonder how feasible it would be to let your happiness tank and farm the rebels for culture. I dipped to like -13 while I was taking over my continent as Assyria, and I noticed I was getting the barbarian culture bonuses for killing the rebel units.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The culture bonuses are too small to make an appreciable difference in the late eras. I like farming culture off barbarian encampments but the returns don't keep up past the renaissance.

Also, some jackass inevitably comes along to pop the encampment.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

victrix posted:

I thought cities on rivers got 25% to trade routes as well.

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh no, Bismark, I didn't loving pop a Liberty finisher GE to try and get the Petra you just sniped or anything in a city with one loving desert tile.

It's worth building Petra wherever you can just to keep it out of someone else's hands. Bismark is smart.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kyrosiris posted:

Given the change to Petra's bonus, it actually makes as much sense to build it in a city like that as anywhere.

Still sucks, but it's not as dumb as it used to be to do it. (Building it just so nobody else gets it aside.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bashez posted:

It's worth building Petra wherever you can just to keep it out of someone else's hands. Bismark is smart.

Oh I know. It's a good play, just an absolutely infuriating one.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

victrix posted:

Also the Hydroelectric Plant, hands down #1 building.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, with the addition of a free trade route, Petra is pretty good even if the city it's in doesn't have much desert.

Dongattack posted:

I missed this earlier, but: http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_bravenewworld.html

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Samopsa posted:

To deny the enemy science/gold maybe? Also to stop spreading religion influence. And of course when there is nothing else in range.

I almost always trade with city-states late in the game. Don't want to give the other Civs the extra science or gold. Sometimes I will with a civ that isn't a threat, but never with one that is. I also find that trading with a city-state that is close in proximity is less likely to have issues during a war or from barbarians.

Question about city-states, how can I get their support early in the game? It always feels like one Civ buddies up with all of them and it requires 80+ influence to get them to ally with me. How are they doing this? Mind you this isn't just BNW related, I've always had trouble getting them on my side early on.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Does anybody else remember the failure screen in Civ 1 with the archeologists picking over the ruins of your civilization?

It's so poetic that they finally made that a gameplay mechanic. :allears:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Early game quests are good for city-states, killing barbs near/in their territory, connecting trade resources (trying to chain these takes some work but it's worth it; i.e. figure out what everyone wants and there's usually 1 city-state you can ally with that'll trigger a domino effect). You can micro and kill barbs near their encampment (But not take it), reaping rewards from the kills, and then eliminate the camp at the last possible instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

movax posted:

Early game quests are good for city-states, killing barbs near/in their territory, connecting trade resources (trying to chain these takes some work but it's worth it; i.e. figure out what everyone wants and there's usually 1 city-state you can ally with that'll trigger a domino effect). You can micro and kill barbs near their encampment (But not take it), reaping rewards from the kills, and then eliminate the camp at the last possible instant.

How does the domino effect work? I guess I'm confused at what gives you influence besides the quests and money. Or maybe that's it? It feels like I'll work my butt off helping one and when I get them to ally I look up and another Civ has the other 7 on the continent. I guess I don't understand how they manage to do this.

• Locked thread