Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadioDog
May 31, 2005

nutranurse posted:

Wait till you meet a +4 vampire. :smith:

What does that mean, the "+#" in front a mob? Is it the # levels above you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

meatsaw posted:

No, it's just an indication of extra difficulty. The color of the mob represents how it relates to you level wise.

White - Below your level
Blue - On your level
Orange - Above your level
Red - Significantly above your level
Purple - Named boss mob

The +X represent a pretty big jump in difficulty. They don't correspond with colors, so you can run into like a Blue +2 which will be a slight challenge or a Red +2 which will generally evaporate you instantly.

Above Our Own fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 12, 2013

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The worst I have seen for undead was a +3 vampire rogue with dual daggers. Outside.

The fucker would dive bomb us then fly up out of reach. Our mage likes staves for some reason and I was on a warrior so the only one who could really do much was the ranger but a vampire with room to fly is really hard to hit because they weave back and forth in the air.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

meatsaw posted:

The +#s is independent of level. I've seen +0s of a mob that are blue to me and +2s of the same type of mob that are white to me.

+# just indicates a mob is more powerful than a typical mob of its level. They seem to have higher armor, hp, and damage. They drop much better loot than normal mobs, though. With +0s, you're lucky to get a green item, while +4s drop purple and yellow items about as often as +0s drop whites and greens, respectively.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Above Our Own posted:

Yeah but vampires typically only spawn one per room or so and it's clear they're a special "elite" mob. You can easily run into packs of 5+ skeletons

I got gangbanged by three of them last night in an open area of +2 mob spawns, so I'm not so sure they're that special. Granted, it was also my first time running into them in ~30 hrs of game play.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ickna posted:

Wait till you meet a vampire :smith:

I've only fought white con vampires, and I didn't notice anything besides them being rogues (very annoying!). I don't recall them having ridiculous hp like skeletons do. Even white con skeletons have insane HP.

Above Our Own posted:

Vampires fly around and do special attacks. Skeletons have some kind of dash and just an enormous health pool relative to other mobs around them. Vampires are tougher individually but like if you're trying to kite or run you can seriously end up with bunches & bunches of unkillable skeletons chasing you.

Relative to all other mobs in the game maybe, nothing I've encountered has HP anywhere close to being as out of balance as skeletons are.

Matoi Ryuko fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 12, 2013

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Vampires fly around and do special attacks. Skeletons have some kind of dash and just an enormous health pool relative to other mobs around them. Vampires are tougher individually but like if you're trying to kite or run you can seriously end up with bunches & bunches of unkillable skeletons chasing you because the game will spawn packs of like, 3 skeletons and a frightner. I havent observed the same kind of spawning with vampires.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Managed to basically solo a purple named Skele boss. Thanks to my hornet for dying a million times, and the two random NPCs who were exploring the ruins at the wrooong time. Skeleton boss was definitely the easiest. I got murdered by a Radish boss, and I was doing sort of fine against a Undead Ranger boss, but I could not damage him.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
How do you build a house to survive the first night? Where do I find redstone?

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Baloogan posted:

How do you build a house to survive the first night? Where do I find redstone?
There's nowhere to hide boyo. Destroy what destroys you.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So I was just goofing around with a friend, running around the world in coop trying to get to another land, and we suddenly hear fight going on. With fight meaning "add one hit and leech free XP then kill the victor for more XP" we naturally went to look for it. We found this (screenshot taken in the heat of battle so a tree popped up :argh: ):

A motherfucking Boss level, Flaming Alpaca. It wound up the fiery tornado animation around itself, then released it in a AoE fire damage blast. We climbed two trees and tried to not die while laughing our asses off. Then killed it and picked up the +16 fire soul it dropped. It was the hight of my day today and is now the top #1 reason I love Cube World.

Also I have some kind of an issue - everytime I take a screenshot of the game with Fraps, it freezes until I either take a second one, or alt-tab out of the game. Since I want to take pictures of our mountain climbing shinanigans, alt-tabbing when hanging on a wall for dear life is not an option. Any idea what might cause that?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Above Our Own posted:

There's nowhere to hide boyo. Destroy what destroys you.

I can kill the zombies (they are really quite a few of them!) but the green guys who explode just kill me one hit.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Is there a way to get a group of friendly npcs to follow you explicitly?

I somehow got a group of three friendly goblin npcs aggro'd at me during a battle (their weapons wouldn't hurt me though), and then they would chase me around a +2 human camp and help me kill enemies. After they killed whatever red was around us, they'd go back to trying to kill me.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
Is the number in the server.cfg file supposed to be the seed? Why on earth would the config file not be a standard key/value format :what:

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
~alpha~

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/355784616738693123

quote:

@wol_lay: Things have settled down a lot now and we hope to post more updates soon. Thanks for your patience, bug reports, suggestions & support! :)

He isn't dead.. huzzah!

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

:unsmith: Hopefully he can give us a full report once he knows the facts.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
You can't transfer items between your own offline characters right? Also what is the despawn limit for dropped items? I keep dying at the same time time as packs of mobs I am fighting.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
I've transferred items between my characters by dropping items with one and then picking them up with another. It just has to be in the same world, and the world has to save on exit. I'm not sure if there's some sort of risk associated with this, but there you go.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
I don't know if there's any limit on how many dropped items get saved when you exit, but I've been able to transfer a large amount of stuff (40+ slots, several of them stacks of 50) at once. Just back up your 'saves' folder in your Cube World install directory before you try it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My friends and I have come to the conclusion that all the classes suck compared to the rogue. I can consistently hit 100s and have 2 stuns for bosses, while they get to do no damage and have slightly more health than me as warriors, or do no damage and a lot less health as the other 2 classes.

Is there something we are missing? It really seems like my Ninja specd rogue is OP comparatively. In a big group of enemies I can hit 1, beat down on them, hit M2 dodge once, hit M2 again and if they aren't dead they are a red mob or a boss.
e: Except for stealth, that part seems really UP, although I only have 5 points in it because I wanted shurikens.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Any class can do comparable damage, it's all gear based, and every class has more than enough stuns. Rangers can move about twice as fast as every other class which is a really big deal with how large the game biomes are. Water mages do damage and healing with every spell, can chain stun with M2, and can heal themselves or allies to full with their first skill--which has no cooldown and after 15 ranks or so basically becomes on-demand.

Rogues are really decent tanks along with warriors, though.

Nef Arious
Oct 14, 2012

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

My friends and I have come to the conclusion that all the classes suck compared to the rogue. I can consistently hit 100s and have 2 stuns for bosses, while they get to do no damage and have slightly more health than me as warriors, or do no damage and a lot less health as the other 2 classes.

Is there something we are missing? It really seems like my Ninja specd rogue is OP comparatively. In a big group of enemies I can hit 1, beat down on them, hit M2 dodge once, hit M2 again and if they aren't dead they are a red mob or a boss.
e: Except for stealth, that part seems really UP, although I only have 5 points in it because I wanted shurikens.

Similar experience here - ninja just destroys everything with good dodge timing. Herding overworld mobs into groups of 20 and one-shotting the whole group with shuriken is lots of fun though. For now i'll just chalk it up to "its alpha", but there definitely needs to be a good deal of class balance done before a "complete' version.

On the other side is the warrior, which needs some serious buffs to damage output. A well-geared/played Guardian can tank most bosses a loooooooooong time without using pots, but leveling one in single player is easily an order of magnitude slower than leveling a rogue, due to the huge differences in damage dealt to mobs.

Havent really played mage or ranger yet, so i have no opinion on those.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I haven't had a good experience with a Ranger compared to the Rogue. Even with boomerangs, the damage pales in comparison to a Ninja Rogue.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The best part of Ranger is flying at mach speed across the land bunny hopping after using your retreat ability to fling yourself around :getin: I haven't even specced into riding at all cause of how fast I get going

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Above Our Own posted:

Any class can do comparable damage, it's all gear based, and every class has more than enough stuns. Rangers can move about twice as fast as every other class which is a really big deal with how large the game biomes are. Water mages do damage and healing with every spell, can chain stun with M2, and can heal themselves or allies to full with their first skill--which has no cooldown and after 15 ranks or so basically becomes on-demand.

Rogues are really decent tanks along with warriors, though.

How do you get rangers to put out damage? My friend uses weapons at his level and I've always put more damage out than him. That mobility skill crashes servers though doesn't it?

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Was finally able to get through the store last night and grabbed two copies, one for me and the other for my nephew (who was practically flipping out. OMGCUBEWORLD :3: )

I like it- it has a lot of charm and just being able to pick a direction and explore and kill poo poo is great. Although gently caress raccoons, seriously :argh:

Also, pet AI still needs some work (I know, alpha) but don't attack dummies with a pet out. My cat decided to use one as a scratching post and would run back to it no matter where I was in the world. Had to reload the map to fix it.

I think this game has a lot of promise!

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How do you get rangers to put out damage? My friend uses weapons at his level and I've always put more damage out than him. That mobility skill crashes servers though doesn't it?
Legendary gear, wind spirits, and we're running a modded server that doesn't crash.

We also usually play in a group with a dedicated healer and a tank, so that may affect our perception some. Whoever does the "most" damage is usually whoever found a legendary weapon most recently, but all of us can vaporize a group of mobs our level in 1-2 attacks. We're levels 50-60.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Mewnie posted:

Was finally able to get through the store last night and grabbed two copies, one for me and the other for my nephew (who was practically flipping out. OMGCUBEWORLD :3: )

I like it- it has a lot of charm and just being able to pick a direction and explore and kill poo poo is great. Although gently caress raccoons, seriously :argh:

Also, pet AI still needs some work (I know, alpha) but don't attack dummies with a pet out. My cat decided to use one as a scratching post and would run back to it no matter where I was in the world. Had to reload the map to fix it.

I think this game has a lot of promise!

just go away and press T and you're pet will teleport to you

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
So I'm level 107 all solo, explored 5.5 thousand kilometres squared, saw all the biomes and now I'm pretty tapped out. I've pretty much had it with sponginess of the boss mobs but I look forward to see how Walley builds on it.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
Anyone else encountered this bug? Today I found I could no longer ride my pet. Upon hitting 'R', the pet would teleport under me, and the camera would jig up and down a bit, but I'd immediately be placed on the ground again. I've tried quitting and reopening the game, taking the pet out of my inventory and putting him back in, no luck.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

lechunnel posted:

Anyone else encountered this bug? Today I found I could no longer ride my pet. Upon hitting 'R', the pet would teleport under me, and the camera would jig up and down a bit, but I'd immediately be placed on the ground again. I've tried quitting and reopening the game, taking the pet out of my inventory and putting him back in, no luck.

Your pet is out of stamina and you need to take it to water to get refreshed. Once it's in the water you should see a water drop gauge filling up under your pet's health. Pets share the stamina bar to keep you from just cycling pets as each wears out.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

If you purchase the Alpha, will you have to re-purchase the beta or the full release?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

AfricanBootyShine posted:

If you purchase the Alpha, will you have to re-purchase the beta or the full release?

No.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I hope they get rid of the whole server-wide sharing of quest XP thing. This game has incredible potential, but in its current state dying to killer raccoons with your equal level buddies is the only real challenge. The shower of XP that comes with having one high level player complete a quest on the server subverts that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nef Arious posted:

On the other side is the warrior, which needs some serious buffs to damage output. A well-geared/played Guardian can tank most bosses a loooooooooong time without using pots, but leveling one in single player is easily an order of magnitude slower than leveling a rogue, due to the huge differences in damage dealt to mobs.
Equip a decent two hander, and guardian is actually really powerful. You just need to use the blocking mechanic offensively, don't rely on your left click to charge attacks. It's a completely different playstyle to the other classes, which is what I think throws people.

It's more timing sensitive than the ninja, and less flashy, but it can more than hold its own once you get used to it.

Colorblind Panda
Oct 4, 2009
I've been playing this game for the last few days, and I just can't get over it. I played a fire mage first, and thought I loved it until I rolled a rogue. I went assassin since the stealth mechanic sounded neat, but am I being dumb for deciding not to spew shurikens at things?

I'm also trying to hunt down Apple Rings for a crocodile pet. Doesn't seem like they are sold in shops, so is there a better way of finding them than farming what the wiki says drops it?

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire
Ninja is probably the better of the two, because when you dodge attacks you get mana + your next special attack is a crit strike. Once I got he hang of dodging properly, I started going from struggling to kill things, to mowing down rank and file enemies and managing to solo bosses with relative ease. I just wish I could get my stamina to recover faster at the moment as that's the only thing stopping me from being an evasion god.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I bought this game just an hour or two ago.

So I got to level 4 and got a pet bunny. I think I'm hot poo poo and see an ogre and go "Yeah... we'll see if we can take him." Well, I run away and my first thought is to lose him in town. Well, I basically kited him into the center of town, and while he was trying to get out, he proceeded to wreck the poo poo of everyone outside. Oops.

This game is fun as hell, and I plan on playing the poo poo out of it when I get home from work later tonight. I'm hoping I can get a pet turtle so he can be all green and wonderful with my goblin water mage.

E: I might be stupid, but I just can not get rolling/dodging down. Whenever it works, it just seems to be on accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Miffroon posted:

Ninja is probably the better of the two, because when you dodge attacks you get mana + your next special attack is a crit strike. Once I got he hang of dodging properly, I started going from struggling to kill things, to mowing down rank and file enemies and managing to solo bosses with relative ease. I just wish I could get my stamina to recover faster at the moment as that's the only thing stopping me from being an evasion god.
Yeah, ninja tears up melee.

Problem is, the dodge passive doesn't work on ranged attacks. If you get a couple of rangers or mages blasting you you're pretty much screwed, especially if you can't stun them. More often than not you just end up dodging around until your stamina runs out, then get blasted to ash.

Guardian doesn't have this problem, block works on everything, even the dreaded laser beam of bullshit. Dodge into melee range and you're just a single right click away from smashing their smug teeth in.

For that reason alone I'd say guardian is better right now. Takes a lot of practice though, timing the blocks for maximum damage is tricky on some mobs.

• Locked thread