Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Speaking of TRU, there's a slight silver lining to the whole Masterpiece fiasco: apparently they're giving out 10% coupons for your next eBay order from them if you're one of the ones who attempted to purchase a Soundwave and/or Acid Storm.

The best part? Nothing's stopping you from using said coupon when you actually re-order them on the 18th... :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

strangehamster posted:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23058556&skuid=16503857

Kind of expensive for Sandstorm, but there you go. TRU ships internationally.

It's better than the £35 ($50) from a comic store or [NOT AVAILABLE IN THE UK] at TRU. :(

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Or til they seize it at Customs and make you pay £XX above to get it through. This is why I get stuff off ebay in the UK or Kapow.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The_Doctor posted:

It's better than the £35 ($50) from a comic store or [NOT AVAILABLE IN THE UK] at TRU. :(

Did you buy (limit) two?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've just been sending out my friends in the US to the toy aisle when they visit a Target or TRU and seeing what they can find.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The_Doctor posted:

I've just been sending out my friends in the US to the toy aisle when they visit a Target or TRU and seeing what they can find.

Goons find me a Skyquake, bring it to TFCon!

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

I mean't seeing an AFA graded Randy crushed to pieces but that video still cracks me up.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
I'm sure most if not all the people in this thread know this already, but just in case: If you like giant robots even a little bit, you need to go see Pacific Rim right goddamn now.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I had no idea Huffer was so popular as to have a bunch of 3rd party dudes competing to do versions of him. Still, this Cubex one certainly blows Rager out of the water:

Obviously, it's unfinished hence the lack of something to preserve the poor chap's modesty. Apparently can hook up to MP10's trailer no problem too.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
It'll never work, big waste of time!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
^^ That 3rd party Huffer looks really good, hope the price isn't too outrageous.

Also, I've recently become the owner of a HFTD Payload and I need some opinions before I open it because this guy looks like a certified piece of yellow poo poo in the box. The alt mode appears to be the only saving grace as it does look exactly like a Tonka truck. So, any Payload owners out there care to comment on him?

For reference, I am talking about this guy:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

TheDK posted:

Also, I've recently become the owner of a HFTD Payload and I need some opinions before I open it because this guy looks like a certified piece of yellow poo poo in the box. The alt mode appears to be the only saving grace as it does look exactly like a Tonka truck. So, any Payload owners out there care to comment on him?

For reference, I am talking about this guy:

Transform him. Then change your opinion. Granted I like mine because he looks like a proper mean robot with insanely huge legs and switchblades. Loader mode is awesome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've got the initial green Long Haul version of the mold, I dig him.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yep, already talked about him some pages ago but I'm gonna third that, it's a pretty cool mold. You can minimize the backpack a bit mistransforming it just a little.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My biggest problem with the mold is the absurdly shallow truck bed. Otherwise it's pretty good for a movie design.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Oh hey, I just got that one in the mail a couple days ago. It's an... Eccentric toy, even more so than most of the movie line. It works a lot better in practice than it does in theory, as various little bits of gimmickry and construction make it very satisfying to handle (the truck bed raising feels surprisingly nice), but a lot of concessions had to be made to fit it into the pricepoint (really should've been a leader class figure), chief of which is the lack of a wrist swivel and a joint at the base of his kibbleshelf-scaffolding to move it further back.

Most disappointing for me is the lightpiping. His eyes are made of that same clear red as classics Cyclonus that can cause his face to light up like a pair of windows on a blast furnace, but of course it's totally blocked off by the kibble. Shame.

I have to say the mould does look much better in green, but of course Long Haul runs literally four times the price of Payload on eBay. No thanks. On the other hand it really is a toy that begs to be customized; If you could add in the missing joints, connect the big kibbleflap with the cabin to the lower legs via a pair of hinges, engineer a leg mode for the ridiculous Devastator megaproject you're never going to create because you aren't even half done with the movie Megatron you started over a year ago and give him a realistic paint job with some weathering and all the moulded details picked out, you could end up with something positively amazing.

So really in the end it comes down to how much tolerance you have for eccentric movie toys, as is standard with that line. I personally do quite enjoy it, but I feel I'll enjoy it a lot more the more alterations I start making to it, once I'm done moving house again.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

And yet another 3rd party Huffer/Pipes

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Why the sudden Huffer rush?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Keldroc posted:

Who cares? It's not like any of them are gonna sell.

Big waste of time.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Keldroc posted:

I feel like he's probably in that ever shrinking part of the venn diagram where "Popular G1 character" resides outside "Has a sweet CHUG toy" but I'd be the first to admit I don't have the lines memorized.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
He's also very simple, relatively easy to make a figure of him.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Odds are pretty good only one of them at most will make it to market anyway. Remember when there were three third-pary Megatrons in the works?

In other third-party news, Impossible Toys is going out of business, and is having a death spasm of Bumblebees.
http://tfsource.com/impossible-toys-customs/?sort_by=newest

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Knormal posted:

having a death spasm of Bumblebees.

That's the worst type of death....

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Holy poo poo Quakewave is awesome. My only concern is how much force it takes to collapse the legs. It keeps me from transforming it more often. Still a drat near perfect Masterpiece figure. A couple more MPs and I think I'll be good (yeah right)

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Four days until TRU Soundwave's original release date. Any new info at all? Getting kind of nervous.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

No Your Other Left posted:

Four days until TRU Soundwave's original release date. Any new info at all? Getting kind of nervous.

No idea, but my paypal refund went through and I got the TRU discount email saved, so it's ebay store or bust for me... :ohdear:

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
So, did you guys hear about how TRU mistakenly mailed out an Acid Storm so the guy who received it contacted them asking if he could pay for but TRU demanded that the person return it?

There's a big thread about it on TFW.

I just wonder if anybody got any Soundwaves in the mail??

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Something tells me we'll be hearing more and more about this TRU snafu.

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this
So looks like a Transformers Arcade Light Gun game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys21kGsxK_U

Are arcades still that big of a thing?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Unknownone posted:

Sadly... no. :negative:

They still exist in Asia, though.

Luckily I have a local arcade that has 3rd Strike, ST, Marvel 2, KOF98 and Vampire Savior so I'm like the luckily guy ever, and it's probably the main reason why I haven't moved outta my otherwise crappy rear end state.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Unknownone posted:

Not in the sense we probably think of them, but the "Family Fun Center" model still exists in the form of Chuck E. Cheese and similar places, and it has been adapted into more "adult" forms like Dave & Buster's. All the games at such establishments are specifically designed to be difficult to replicate on the home systems, as one of the things that helped kill arcades was the fact that the home experience began to surpass the arcade; some believe that the high quality home versions of Street Fighter II were the real death knell, in fact. So you get things like the motion-sensing 9-1-1 Police Trainer shooter, all those racing games with moving cockpits, Dance Dance Revolution, etc. Anything that requires extra expense to play at home, essentially, and light gun games fall into that category. You still see new House of the Dead and Time Crisis games pop up now and then, and it wouldn't surprise me if House of the Dead folks were involved with this Transformers game, considering Sega is publishing.

It's also possible that this was partially commissioned as something to put in Universal theme parks to accompany the TF ride, in which case any profit generated by regular arcades is simply gravy.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dammit people, I'm starting to think the Construct-a-Bots are kind of cool :ohdear:

Also this price seems pretty convenient, if you don't mind those molds: Platinum Bruticus + Grimlock

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Blackheart posted:

Dammit people, I'm starting to think the Construct-a-Bots are kind of cool :ohdear:

They kind of are, I just think people are going to dismiss them because they expect them to be Transformers. I almost kind of wish they were entirely their own thing and didn't have the baggage of the Transformers brand.

Of course, with the Transformers brand, they WILL probably sell better to kids, I think it's just fans that won't accept them, and honestly that's probably a pretty drat good trade.

Construct-a-bots are about a million times cooler than Hasbro's poor man's Lego. Yes, even the minifigs. I'm like the one guy who doesn't give a poo poo about KREO minifigs.

Keldroc posted:

some believe that the high quality home versions of Street Fighter II were the real death knell, in fact.
:ssh:
It wasn't until like, the PS3 and Xbox 360 when Capcom finally made an accurate port of ST by just emulating the arcade rom on one of their collections.
:goonsay:

But no seriously I know what you mean.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 16, 2013

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

:ssh:
It wasn't until like, the PS3 and Xbox 360 when Capcom finally made an accurate port of ST by just emulating the arcade rom on one of their collections.
:goonsay:

But no seriously I know what you mean.

The 3DO version of Super Turbo was pretty much arcade perfect aside from load time. Of course, most people don't know about it because it was on the 3DO.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

To me arcades were sentenced the day the PSX port of Tekken turned out better than the coin-op version. I believe it was 1995.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Man, Voyager Beast Hunters Shockwave is a terrible Transformer, but it's a hell of a toy.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

SRM posted:

Man, Voyager Beast Hunters Shockwave is a terrible Transformer, but it's a hell of a toy.

He looks fantastic as a robot but has an absolutely imcomprehensible transformation and alt mode. Also, I can't get his tread to hold in his gun to make the connection line regrettably. Still one of the best looking ROBOTS even if it's a garbage Transformer if that makes sense. He's so beefy and purple and monoeyed~~~ :swoon:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Cyberverse Commander Shockwave is even worse, if you can believe it. They might as well not have even bothered with giving it an alt mode for all the good it does.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I'm fairly certain I have never once transformed BH Shockwave, not even out of curiosity. It's just a big purple action figure with a spinny arm for all I care. It sure is a beautiful big purple action figure, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Well I was just excited for Charticon but after this promo video I am loving giddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHXINEyQFpA