Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

mclifford82 posted:

Trying to use a YongNuo 560-II on a 5d3

These won't be picked up by Canon camera's, you need to get one of the newer models which are made to be compatible with the Canon menu's and have HSS etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Saw a preview video showing off the new sensor based phase detection AF. It seems fast and accurate. So if it proves reliable on the 70D, there's nothing that'd stop Canon from doing a mirrorless DSLR-like, without translucent mirror bullshit like what's necessary on Sony right now.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Or an EOS-M that actually works.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Amazing deal on 6D kit with printer. This is a steal.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/985...per-memory-card

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I cant seem to figure this out, we talked about it awhile back, but I reset my firmware and its STILL doing it. Ever since I tried to install magic lantern my camera lags for about 1-2 seconds on boot up now. It sounds minor but it used to bootup instantly and it's REALLY annoying me. I just want my camera back to normal :(

I formatted my card and installed firmware 1.2.1 (the latest) for the 5d mark 3, and it still does it. What the hell can I do at this point!? I'm running out of ideas.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Sounds like at one point in time you set up an autoexec file to auto boot magic lantern on wake. Did you undo that autoexec?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I don't think the 5d mark 3 firmware HAS that option :/

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

mAlfunkti0n posted:

That's an amazing deal but also really annoying since i just bought a 6d for $1,650 and then immediately after broke my 24-105mm. I could've gotten a brand new one for less than the cost to fix it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

somnambulist posted:

I don't think the 5d mark 3 firmware HAS that option :/

It definitely does, but you would know it if you had enabled it because it's not enabled by default, and you have to do some song and dance to get it enabled.

See this page at the bottom for autoexec stuff:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2602.0

You didn't do that, did you?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Welp...

Should arrive just in time for the weather to turn lovely and me not want to go outside and shoot anything. :waycool:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Wario In Real Life posted:

Welp...

Should arrive just in time for the weather to turn lovely and me not want to go outside and shoot anything. :waycool:

Holy hell, the 6D looks much more desirable now. That is on the high end of what I was expecting. But I guess I didn't really follow much news about it.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

rcman50166 posted:

Holy hell, the 6D looks much more desirable now. That is on the high end of what I was expecting. But I guess I didn't really follow much news about it.

The 70D price will plunge rapidly if you can wait it out for 6 months or so. The 6D was $2200 when it came out, I've seen deals as low as $1500 recently for the body only.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yep. The 5D3 has done something similar in the last 12 months.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Inf posted:

The 70D price will plunge rapidly if you can wait it out for 6 months or so. The 6D was $2200 when it came out, I've seen deals as low as $1500 recently for the body only.

Oh man, post in big bold letters here when those show up.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

rcman50166 posted:

Oh man, post in big bold letters here when those show up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360689884630

There ya go.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Oh balls :ohdear:

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

If you add http://www.the-digital-picture.com/ to your news reader you will get daily updates about deals for various camera gear. Not in the market right now, but I like to keep apprised of what the street prices are on various pieces of gear.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Inf posted:

If you add http://www.the-digital-picture.com/ to your news reader you will get daily updates about deals for various camera gear. Not in the market right now, but I like to keep apprised of what the street prices are on various pieces of gear.

I usually just check e-bay, but this also looks good. Thanks!

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Inf posted:

Yep, love that feed. I remembered seeing it in there earlier today. I got a 100mm f/2.8L Macro from an eBay seller that feed turned me on to that was new for less than refurb price.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yep. The 5D3 has done something similar in the last 12 months.

Paid full price, worth erry penny!

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

I have a t3 currently and have been eyeing up the 60d, since it is what I can afford.

Buydig has it for $599, shipped with no tax. Seems like quite a deal. Unless I wait for people to start unloading their's cheap when they get the 70D or a FF camera.

From what I can tell, getting a 60d is worth it over a T4i/T5i. Would that be a correct assumption?

I already have a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and a 70-200 f4L use with it.

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Just pulled the trigger on this. Theoretically I could flip the lens for 650 and the printer for 250 or so, and have a 6d for roughly 1100. Something tells me that I'm just not going to want to part with that 24-105 tho.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

outcast_p posted:

I have a t3 currently and have been eyeing up the 60d, since it is what I can afford.

Buydig has it for $599, shipped with no tax. Seems like quite a deal. Unless I wait for people to start unloading their's cheap when they get the 70D or a FF camera.

From what I can tell, getting a 60d is worth it over a T4i/T5i. Would that be a correct assumption?

It's mainly worth it for the ergonomics if that's what is important to you. Bigger, top LCD, dual control wheels, locking mode wheel. The T5i has the touch LCD and has the video AF, and has all cross-type AF points compared to just the center on the 60D.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

outcast_p posted:

BetterLekNextTime posted:

It's mainly worth it for the ergonomics if that's what is important to you. Bigger, top LCD, dual control wheels, locking mode wheel. The T5i has the touch LCD and has the video AF, and has all cross-type AF points compared to just the center on the 60D.

I think I'd have to wait and save up for the 70d when that comes out. Not a huge price difference from the T5i (considering it won't be out for a couple months) and has some nice features like wifi, 2 more fps and megapickles, and 19 all crosstype AF points vs 9 on the T5i.

And yes, from an ergonomics perspective, avoid the Rebel series.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

That's actually pretty high too for a 6D. Amazon was selling the body only for $1899, I got mine (with US warranty card but no lens) for $1590 on eBay two weeks ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141007428895

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 13, 2013

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Got quite the surprise today. Have a 100-400 that doesn't work right; Canon says the barrel assembly needs replacing and it would cost more than the lens is worth, so wasn't going to do much with it. Been sitting in a drawer here when I figured I'd check ebay pricing. Well, I just about shat a brick when I saw _damaged_ 100-400 lenses go for over 500 bucks. I mean, one that had sat underwater for half an hour went for 526 dollars + shipping.

Listed mine and it has 34 watchers already and is up to 50 bucks with 6 days left.

WHAT THE HELL

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gotta make those lens mugs somehow.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Does anyone here actually purchase broken lenses? If so, what the hell do you do with them and why do you pay so much?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

For as little time I spend actually using my gear, I might as well start buying broken stuff. I'd hardly be able to tell the difference.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

For as little time I spend actually using my gear, I might as well start buying broken stuff. I'd hardly be able to tell the difference.
You're not really helping your image as "gear dude who everyone envies and also hates" on this forum mister! :mad:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rcman50166 posted:

Does anyone here actually purchase broken lenses? If so, what the hell do you do with them and why do you pay so much?

I'd guess they part them out and try to assemble a complete lens from a bunch of broken ones.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

xzzy posted:

I'd guess they part them out and try to assemble a complete lens from a bunch of broken ones.

I didn't think those are readily able to be disassembled by any regular joe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're held together with screws and retaining rings just like any other lens.

I have no illusions that the resulting product would be a good one, but there's a non-zero chance there's someone out there with enough knowhow to get something working.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xzzy posted:

I have no illusions that the resulting product would be a good one, but there's a non-zero chance there's someone out there with enough knowhow to get something working well enough to be resold on ebay/craigslist

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Somebody knows somebody who knows a guy who's brother is a Canon service tech and has a complete set of repair tools at home...or something...

Lens shows up on ebay as used but "recently fully serviced by canon" so its not technically an outright lie...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Canon just bumped their refurbished warranty from 90 days to a year.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Canon just bumped their refurbished warranty from 90 days to a year.

That's pretty amazing and makes Canon refurbs an absolute no-brainer, the same way Apple refurbs are.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

bobfather posted:

That's pretty amazing and makes Canon refurbs an absolute no-brainer, the same way Apple refurbs are.

And keep in mind the customer loyalty (use any old film camera .. buy one for $5 or so off CL) and get 20% off.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

bobfather posted:

Yeah I'm pretty stoked about it, especially since the 70-200 f/4 IS I got from the refurb store was bought after June 24, so it got extended to a year of coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mAlfunkti0n posted:

And keep in mind the customer loyalty (use any old film camera .. buy one for $5 or so off CL) and get 20% off.

Doesnt have to be only film, it can be a digital point and shoot too as long as it doesnt function