Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Hasters posted:

How? That trailer makes it impossible.

Just what I've read elsewhere. I agree the trailer made me go "Huh? What? How?" at probably the same moment it made you say the same.

edit - Someone in the movie posters thread suggested the interview tape with the "daughter" was staged/forged as a ploy by Brolin's captors to confuse and gently caress with him, and that it might have also been inserted into the trailer to confuse and gently caress with people who'd seen the original. Not outside of the realm of possibility honestly.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
On one hand it seems they didn't Hollywoodify the story, on the other hand though it seems they made it into a more typical revenge movie. I'm interested in seeing how it turns out, but I am a bit worry.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
It LOOKS pretty decent so I suppose I'm all for it but still hesitant. And who doesn't love Jesus Brolin?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Oldboy trailer looks pretty badass.

Here's a pretty different trailer for Red 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3fOujbPR7s

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hasters posted:

How? That trailer makes it impossible.

I'm guessing the 'daughter' in the interview is staged by his captor and is not actually his daughter. The only pictures he's seen of his daughter in 20 years are the ones shown to him on that television.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have my hopes up for Oldboy.

So far, Spike Lee has gone with the lighting and design of the original film. The wallpapers, the concrete penthouse, everything looks really close the original.

Story seems to be almost verbatim with the original other than you know what, and I consider it a good change.

A lot of what sells Oldboy is the insane meltdowns of actor Choi MinSik, and I guess a lot of Oldboy 2013 will hinge on Brolin's performance.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 11, 2013

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Steve Yun posted:

I have my hopes up for Oldboy.

So far, Spike Lee has gone with the lighting and design of the original film. The wallpapers, the concrete penthouse, everything looks really close the original.

I think this was an interesting decision, and I'm surprised how much better the film looks because of it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, so apparently there are reports from early test screenings, and.... it sounds like The Ideal Remake. Everything different is superficial, and everything important is maintained.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, so apparently there are reports from early test screenings, and.... it sounds like The Ideal Remake. Everything different is superficial, and everything important is maintained.

This kind of annoys me to be honest, why bother remaking at all if you are going to tell the exact same story.

I'm looking at you, Michael Haneke.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kanonvandekempen posted:

This kind of annoys me to be honest, why bother remaking at all if you are going to tell the exact same story.

To bring in an American audience?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

kanonvandekempen posted:

To make it a little easier to watch with your family?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You're watching Old Boy with your family?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Mr. Squishy posted:

You're watching Old Boy with your family?

I saw with my dad when it was in the theaters. :colbert:

Anyway SteveYun's description of the "ideal remake" doesn't really mesh with mine. I want to see Spike Lee's voice in the story, not Spike Lee trying to mimic someone else's voice. That said, even if the story is a 1:1 that doesn't make it the same movie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, here's an excerpt from the report:

quote:

I think it’s safe to say that Spike Lee has a certain feel to his movies. In this, though, you can tell it’s not something that is of his own volition. However, is fingerprints are all over this flick. Even if you didn’t know that he directed the movie, the soundtrack, cinematography, vibe and feel of the movie scream Spike Lee. It’s a great touch that I haven’t seen in his other recent movies, like Inside Man.

MAJOR SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE ORIGINAL, MINOR SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE:
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/spike-lees-oldboy-remake-test-screening-reaction-says-its-just-as-sick-and-twisted-as-the-origina

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 11, 2013

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Trailer for Saving Mr Banks

http://blogs.disney.com/insider/art...ageesocialmedia

not gonna lie, I screamed more than just a little bit at the scene of Hanks as Walt Disney at the entrance to Disneyland

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Film composition question: in the top screenshot, the boxcutter is in his left hand. Then in the second shot it's in his right hand. Is there a reason for this? My guess is visual continuity... the trash can becomes the ceiling light, the line on the floor becomes the line on the ceiling, and the box cutter stays on the right side of the screen. Does that sound right?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 11, 2013

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Steve Yun posted:

Film composition question: in the top screenshot, the boxcutter is in his left hand. Then in the second shot it's in his right hand. Is there a reason for this? My guess is visual continuity... the trash can becomes the ceiling light, the line on the floor becomes the line on the ceiling, and the box cutter stays on the right side of the screen. Does that sound right?

It's a trailer. There could 1 hour of movie between those two shots.

Or maybe they just made a mistake.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Trump posted:

I'm gonna assume he just switched hands with it during the scene.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Barf Wight posted:

The Wolf of Wall Street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iszwuX1AK6A

:swoon: A countach :swoon:

Really though, this looks good to me.

Have you seen the sequel?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zKryYc5z2kA?feature=player_detailpage

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the trailer for that "Seventh Son" movie and it sure looked like a ripoff of The Witcher.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Trump posted:

Or maybe its intentional, and Steve was just guessing why. I dont know id its intentional, but those are plausible ideas.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

uPen posted:

I'm guessing the 'daughter' in the interview is staged by his captor and is not actually his daughter. The only pictures he's seen of his daughter in 20 years are the ones shown to him on that television.

I guess that works, just seems a little unnecessarily convoluted.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Steve Yun posted:

It's called breaking the axis. It's something I've been taught is a rule that cannot be broken...except for when it can, then gently caress it. But it is a trailer, so in the film, the shots may match more.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Hasters posted:

I guess that works, just seems a little unnecessarily convoluted.

Think about Oldboy's story some more and you'll realize that the entire revenge scheme of kidnapping a dude, framing him for murder, holding him for twenty years, and then hypnotizing him into sleeping with his daughter is unnecessarily convoluted.

Anyway I saw the IMAX 3D trailer for Gravity tonight. Earlier in the thread I was worried that the use of 3D for a film set in space might not work, but I have to say it looked absolutely amazing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I've seen a number of trailers where shots were mirrored from how they appeared in the actual film. It's perfectly possible that the trailer's editor felt mirroring would help that cut read better in a brief context, while the film itself would have the breathing room to keep it correct.

The Infamous Shane
Dec 19, 2007
Call me Shane Mcloon, Super Goon.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It's called breaking the axis. It's something I've been taught is a rule that cannot be broken...except for when it can, then gently caress it. But it is a trailer, so in the film, the shots may match more.

Is it though? The second shot is from the perspective of dude on the table, looking up. Could still be his left hand.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Also sometimes they just flip something in a trailer for no real reason.

And yeah the axis rule is hilarious. "NEVER EVER BREAK THE AXIS!...............I mean unless it works for the shot then just do whatever."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
WRONG THREAD! IGNORE!

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
Aaughh that backwards hat and sunglasses, very early 2000's. Are they actually werewolves? Jesus christ.

"Jeff Allen just got a new job in one of Manhattan's wealthiest brokerage firms, Wolfe Brothers."

I'm getting the feeling this isn't the most subtle of movies.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

kanonvandekempen posted:

You must not have read all of the other posts on the page, where people are getting angry at the possibility that Lee may have changed anything. The problem with remaking a film for American audiences is:

1) There are people who saw the original and loved it, hate the idea that it's being remade since that somehow 'cheapens the original'.
2) People who just hate remakes, believe they're for people who 'can't read subtitles'.
3) People who are okay with remakes as long as they're IDENTICAL to the originals.
4) People who hate remakes because they're IDENTICAL to the originals, and thus unnecessary.
5) People who want to see a good movie, don't give a crap about the above.

If I were making a movie, I'd care about #5 the most since the other categories strike me as people who are going to find a reason to hate almost any movie they see, regardless of its final quality.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

TTBF posted:

Think about Oldboy's story some more and you'll realize that the entire revenge scheme of kidnapping a dude, framing him for murder, holding him for twenty years, and then hypnotizing him into sleeping with his daughter is unnecessarily convoluted.

You're right, I guess I just love the original so much I never really thought about it critically.

Sheldrake posted:

You must not have read all of the other posts on the page, where people are getting angry at the possibility that Lee may have changed anything. The problem with remaking a film for American audiences is:

1) There are people who saw the original and loved it, hate the idea that it's being remade since that somehow 'cheapens the original'.
2) People who just hate remakes, believe they're for people who 'can't read subtitles'.
3) People who are okay with remakes as long as they're IDENTICAL to the originals.
4) People who hate remakes because they're IDENTICAL to the originals, and thus unnecessary.
5) People who want to see a good movie, don't give a crap about the above.

If I were making a movie, I'd care about #5 the most since the other categories strike me as people who are going to find a reason to hate almost any movie they see, regardless of its final quality.

Absolutely, I like seeing different takes on the same material; it's not like having one will destroy the other, George Lucas aside.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 12, 2013

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Trailer for Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC5amKLgnFU

Goddamn some of those scenes look gorgeous. I'm not sure what it says that the American trailer lacks dialogue of any sort and is marketed as an action film, though. I mean, I realize there has to be fights, but I also assume that it's mostly a dramatic movie. Either way, I'm there.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

There totally needs to be an Ip Man vs. Ip Man movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ziyi Zhang

:swoon:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Trailer for Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC5amKLgnFU

Goddamn some of those scenes look gorgeous. I'm not sure what it says that the American trailer lacks dialogue of any sort and is marketed as an action film, though. I mean, I realize there has to be fights, but I also assume that it's mostly a dramatic movie. Either way, I'm there.

Yeah, in reality there isn't a whole lot of fighting in the movie at all, and most of it is within the first act. The film actually follows other characters besides Ip Man for long portions of the runtime, and is much more of a historical drama than a martial arts film.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

muscles like this? posted:

I watched the trailer for that "Seventh Son" movie and it sure looked like a ripoff of The Witcher.

You can't just say that there's a trailer for a movie that seems similar to The Witcher and then not link the trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQt6lYJHIOA

...On the other hand, nevermind.
That looks awful and nothing at all like The Witcher, you god damned liar.
:froggonk:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Deakul posted:

You can't just say that there's a trailer for a movie that seems similar to The Witcher and then not link the trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQt6lYJHIOA

...On the other hand, nevermind.
That looks awful and nothing at all like The Witcher, you god damned liar.
:froggonk:

I didn't say it looked good, I said it looked like they were ripping off The Witcher. It could have been worse, I almost thought it was a crappy adaptation of those bad Orson Scott Card novels.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I didn't say it looked good, I said it looked like they were ripping off The Witcher. It could have been worse, I almost thought it was a crappy adaptation of those bad Orson Scott Card novels.

It's actually based on The Spook's Apprentice by Joseph Delaney. Maybe they are the naming movie after an unrelated Card novel because of the Ender's Game adaptation.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

leokitty posted:

I saw with my dad when it was in the theaters. :colbert:

Anyway SteveYun's description of the "ideal remake" doesn't really mesh with mine. I want to see Spike Lee's voice in the story, not Spike Lee trying to mimic someone else's voice. That said, even if the story is a 1:1 that doesn't make it the same movie.

There's a part in the trailer where the passage of time is illustrated by clips on tv - of 9/11, Hurricane Katrina and Obama's election. I'm betting Spike's voice comes in loud and clear on this one. Even an efficient commercial product like Inside Man had his fingerprints all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxDl_ER5VC0

• Locked thread