Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

toxicsunset posted:

Yes Steam is very unsuccessful and not good, you are right

Steam is pretty great, love it, however Greenlight is a freaking mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

I want to remind everyone, especially developers in this thread, to consider the fact that IAP freemium is a tremendous bubble and that as soon as the whales beach themselves that the floor will drop out and all investment in these types of games will equate to the net worth of the tip of my penis.

I wouldn't be too concerned. IAP is an absolute prick to implement, a lot of devlopers refuse to do it just because :effort:

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Deus Ex question: I notice there are XP and credits(or whatever the currency is called) doublers in the IAP store. Is this one of those things where to get the "real" game experience you have to buy the doublers? I'd go ahead and shell out a few bucks for them but I don't want to end up overleveled if it turns out they're just IAP bait.

On a related note, I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with how well they've managed to replicate the fell of Deus Ex:HR on a tablet. It's not perfect, the combat mechanics kinda suck, and it doesn't have the same feeling of depth and a fleshed out world the way the full-size title did, but it's very impressive given the usual app store fare.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

duck monster posted:

I wouldn't be too concerned. IAP is an absolute prick to implement, a lot of devlopers refuse to do it just because :effort:

If there ever was a time for a single emoticon reply, this would be it: :what:

For reals, what app store have you been using for the past few years?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

I suppose they could figure out a way to be both helpful to developers and consumers alike. As opposed to a system where consumers have no idea whether something is good and developers get washed out in a deluge of buttfucking miserable f2p games. In my mind a well curated App Store would be beneficial to everyone in this case. The only real issue would be that the smaller indies wouldn't be able to get their game on the store. However to say that NO indie games would be able to get on the store is fallacious. Steam, despite its curation has a plethora of fantastic games. Even the green light system, despite its nonsense crapware voting, has been a boon.

Basically, why can't the App Store be like steam.

Steam has had around two thousand games on it over about a decade.

There are close to a million apps on the App Store and it took Apple only half the time. Even if their approval process was twice as strict, that's still half a million apps. It's on a completely different scale.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Bummey posted:

If there ever was a time for a single emoticon reply, this would be it: :what:

For reals, what app store have you been using for the past few years?

Don't Unity and GameMaker Studio have built-in support for in-game payments? Plus, doesn't Apple have fairly straightforward API for it?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

duck monster posted:

Hah. Haha. Hahaaaaa hahahaha ha. Ha ha. hah.

No but really they're pretty easy to do. Anyone using Unity (about 40% of the market, IIRC) just buys a $40 plugin from prime31 and has in-app payments working in under an hour. It's pretty easy dude. But you just keep on keeping on. :unsmith:

... also this is a really, really stupid derail. If you guys actually want to talk about IAPs, take it to the dev thread, we're all geeks about that stuff over there.

This is the thread for Tiny Thief. Talk to me about the ferret. I want more Tiny Thief ferret facts.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shalinor posted:

This is the thread for Tiny Thief. Talk to me about the ferret. I want more Tiny Thief ferret facts.

You can have them when we get Kitty Hats for Jones. :colbert:

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Tiny Thief is nice but I'm going to finish it in no time flat, so I'm kind of not playing it to make it last longer and it's losing points because of it and, it's very much a little kid's game. I not only feel too old to play it, I feel too adult. Like, I can flick through a Chris Van Allsburg picture book and enjoy it as an adult, but I can't enjoy My Little Pony.

I guess what I'm saying is playing Tiny Thief feels like watching My Little Pony.

Tiny Wings, on the other feathery stunted growth, is loving amazing and I'm super glad I own it now. yaaaahoooo

EDIT: Just played Tiny Thief again, not drunk and not at 3am and it's better for it. Sorry Tiny Thief. I'm probably still going to compare playing it to being a brony in my review on iTunes, though. Because reviews on iTunes are where I am true to myself and to my reader.

EDIT2: NEW WALKING DEAD "400 DAYS" AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 13, 2013

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Helmacron posted:

Tiny Wings, on the other feathery stunted growth, is loving amazing and I'm super glad I own it now. yaaaahoooo

You are now a better person for it, true story. That birds sounds SO HAPPY when you get it that high up in the air! :neckbeard: For anyone else, if for some reason you still haven't played Tiny Wings, now's the time!

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 13, 2013

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Helmacron posted:

Everytime I download this and try to buy episodes, it says coming soon for each one. I've deleted and reinstalled the game 4 times and the same issue. Maybe it's because I'm jailbroken? Anyone else having this issue? I want to buy these. :(

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

SeANMcBAY posted:

Everytime I download this and try to buy episodes, it says coming soon for each one. I've deleted and reinstalled the game 4 times and the same issue. Maybe it's because I'm jailbroken? Anyone else having this issue? I want to buy these. :(

Yeah, the only time I ever got The Walking Dead to work while my iPad was connected to wifi was in Mumbai. Otherwise it just hangs on the connecting screen until the world grows cold and white walkers come and everyone's last breath just settles gently back down on their face and freezes there in little crystals.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Shalinor posted:

I can't find the ferret in the last pirate ship level. :(

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Hey guys. Guys. Hey. Alpaca just got an update.

Guys. More rare evolution forms. Guys alpaca updated HEY

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The alpaca struggle continues.

More importantly they finally added a mute button, Jesus Christ only took five million downloads for them to do it. Now they gotta add a mute button in the sequel.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bummey posted:

Sorry, it's all adorable ferrets in here now. The little scamp ^_^

Bummey
May 26, 2004

TACD posted:

Sorry, it's all adorable ferrets in here now. The little scamp ^_^

Tiny Thief is cute and all but boy golly is it easy. I hope they make future levels more complex and difficult.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bummey posted:

Tiny Thief is cute and all but boy golly is it easy. I hope they make future levels more complex and difficult.

I thought the difficulty was decent. Easy to finish, more of a challenge to get all the stars.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I just noticed that the giant idol thing, in The Lost Temple level, has a wedding ring.

It's a goddamn goatse.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Bummey posted:

Video games are mostly made for children, news at 11

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

Did you enter a cave in the late 90s or something and just not come out?

I'm hoping Tiny Thief gets an injection of extra levels down the line like other Rovio titles.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Sad lions posted:

I'm hoping Tiny Thief gets an injection of extra levels down the line like other Rovio titles.

Doesn't one of the Rovio dudes post here?

Read that post, Rovio dude.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Sad lions posted:

Man, it would've been great to have entered a cave in the late 90s. Batman: the Animated Series on VHS, couple of Michael Crichton novels, and a Sega Dreamcast to boot...

Anyways, the current PYF Flash thread darling, Peacekeeper, is available free on ios and Android. It's... not a terrible good version, but it is free, if you want to give it a go.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Corridor posted:

I just noticed that the giant idol thing, in The Lost Temple level, has a wedding ring.

It's a goddamn goatse.

Came to post this. Was giggling like an idiot on the train when I noticed. Well played 5Ants. Well played.

Bummey posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck me.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Oh god the magic Rube Goldberg and the angry bird bit earlier.
He even flicks his hair up when he hulks out.
Tiny Thief is fantastic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Helmacron posted:

gently caress me, it's an episode within Walking Dead. Does any of the decisions from the original chapters carry over to this or is it stand-alone? I deleted it after I finished it and well not that I would complaint (much) about having to play it again but I'd like to know.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

The Insect Court posted:

Deus Ex question: I notice there are XP and credits(or whatever the currency is called) doublers in the IAP store. Is this one of those things where to get the "real" game experience you have to buy the doublers? I'd go ahead and shell out a few bucks for them but I don't want to end up overleveled if it turns out they're just IAP bait.

On a related note, I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with how well they've managed to replicate the fell of Deus Ex:HR on a tablet. It's not perfect, the combat mechanics kinda suck, and it doesn't have the same feeling of depth and a fleshed out world the way the full-size title did, but it's very impressive given the usual app store fare.

I haven't played more than a couple missions but the difficulty when not using IAP seems about right. I don't want stuff spoon fed to me. Hunting down some weapons and trying to conserve your resources is part of the fun. Trying to take as many guys out silently without alarming anyone is how I played human revolution so ill stick to hacking and non lethal take downs. You still have in game money to get ammo etc. You just don't need to go to a weapons supplier in the game to get it so it would be easy to fall into the IAP trap if you are that type of person that falls for that easily.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

Did you just wake up from a 20 year coma?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

gently caress me, it's an episode within Walking Dead. Does any of the decisions from the original chapters carry over to this or is it stand-alone? I deleted it after I finished it and well not that I would complaint (much) about having to play it again but I'd like to know.

I'm not sure but I know its decisions will carry over to season 2.

All the more reason to play it on a real computer. I am so tired of fighting for space when every new 15 minute game comes out.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 13, 2013

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
This popped up 2 days ago...

Dungeon of Legends
http://appshopper.com/games/dungeon-of-legends

It looks really pretty. Anyone try it? I'd take the plunge, but I'm still knee deep in KOTOR,

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Stand-alone, completely unrelated to the story of the base game. Also I believe it utilizes iOS Cloud saves, so your old saves will still be around.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Bummey posted:

Did you just wake up from a 20 year coma?

Sad lions posted:

Did you enter a cave in the late 90s or something

Jesus, this thread needs to learn to take a joke.

Hot drat though, with xcom and now deus ex on the iPad, I'm reminded that the iOS can actually be a place for worthwhile real games and not just shovelware flash games.

Deus ex, so far, is a goddamn proof of concept that you can pull off open world shooters really well. The touch arcade article calling it a "console experience" is dead right.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Rexicon1 posted:

Jesus, this thread needs to learn to take a joke.

Or you need to learn how to tell better jokes since nobody thought it was funny and this is a classic internet backpedal post.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I saw that Avernum: Escape from the Pit is only sale currently. Has anyone played it and is it worth grabbing as an RPG/Adventure(exploration?) kind of game?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I saw that Avernum: Escape from the Pit is only sale currently. Has anyone played it and is it worth grabbing as an RPG/Adventure(exploration?) kind of game?

Owns. All of the Spyderweb games are really loving good. If you're unsure about the dollars, all the Spiderweb games are currently on the Humble Bundle weekly sale. The desktop versions, obviously, but you can dip your toe in the pool.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

Or you need to learn how to tell better jokes since nobody thought it was funny and this is a classic internet backpedal post.

I thought it was pretty clearly a joke and chuckled when I read it. Also I was pretty sure there would be at least a few offended responses.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bummey posted:

Owns. All of the Spyderweb games are really loving good. If you're unsure about the dollars, all the Spiderweb games are currently on the Humble Bundle weekly sale. The desktop versions, obviously, but you can dip your toe in the pool.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Yeah, it's good. Full party-based RPG. The graphics are primitive even for an isometric RPG, but they're functional enough. It's a unique world and the story is pretty well written. They made it work really well with touch screen controls as well.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Bummey posted:

Son of a bitch, just when I finally gave up on this game and convinced myself that the final evolution was not going to happen they add new forms. Guys I will start my 6th time through this silly game.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm playing this now (I also played the original) and I love it. It's HUGE and will last you a long time. The mechanics are totally different from the original Avernum which may mess you up a bit if you played that. The new mechanics are a lot closer to Avadon's.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Actually, it does take import your save from the original. It's nothing big though, just a few dialogue changes and one other thing I won't spoil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This is from a few pages ago, but you shouldn't need to shoot anything in Deus Ex, and the DirecTV app hasn't worked on my phone when I finally got it this past december. It whines about 'non-authorized' devices or some horseshit and kills itself. Skype whines the same way, but instead of killing itself, it never kills itself and just eats your battery to death. But I remember skype doing that before I ever jailbroke my phone so that just might be skype being skype and horrible inefficient.

• Locked thread