Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Morgenthau posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tGA_xKm95zg

Here's a synopsis of the anime series, it looks like bit of an excuse for the animators to draw old MS designs which is pretty cool.

There's a fair bit of V designs in there so here's hoping we get a few HGUC Zanscare Empire releases.

If this show gets us HGUCs of the Sumo and Zanscare suits, even if it's worse than AGE it'll be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Gundam Guy is reporting the rumor that the GP-02 might be an upcoming RG. I actually canceled both my GP-01 orders because of my backlog and I want to see some reviews on them first, but a GP-02 would make me really really excited.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So took the dive and got the VF-25S Armored Messiah kit (though not 100% willingly due to AmiAmi's "no cancelling pre-orders" policy), and have a quick question I'm pretty sure no one will actually answer:

The decal sheets. For some reason there's two of them here (blue and green), and I while I'm pretty sure that one of them is wet-apply (which I have absolutely no experience with and will therefore avoid), I have no idea what the other one is. So... are these dry-apply or regular decals, and which one is which?

E: God, I can't even find a way to get these drat things off the sheet to check. MGs have spoiled me too much.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 5, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Rub-on sheets are very obvious; they're transparent, and have wax paper underneath. The green sheet you're looking at is probably just normal stickers. Waterslides, on the other hand, are blue.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

tokyo-hunter appears to be out of business; he hadn't updated the site for a couple of months and now it's "undergoing maintenance" for almost a month so safe to say he's probably not coming back.

Update: they are gone for good. Earlier in the year the original owner fell out with his partner and the new guy couldn't get stuff like the first guy could so they imploded pretty quickly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

To celebrate getting a filter mask, I finally got around to topcoating my Turn A.

Of course I first had to re-line the whole drat thing.

And apparently the ink ran overnight or something because a couple spots have smudges. :negative:

Is there any way to fix this, or is it too late now that I've topcoated?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
What did you panel-line it with? I've never had that happen to me before.

Maybe you could try lightly sanding off the topcoat where the smudges are?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A fine point gundam marker, nothing fancy. I'm actually thinking the problem's that I didn't rub off the excess entirely last night.

Moral of the story is to check your pieces before you spray. :v:

EDIT: There's a duel on my top shelf.

And I think I know who's going to win. Agh this camera angle did not work out.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 8, 2013

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BlitzBlast posted:

And I think I know who's going to win. Agh this camera angle did not work out.

I went out and bought a few desk-lamps, some 100 watt bulbs, and a big fuckoff outdoor spotlight bulb and mashed everything together. Now I can light my scenes so brightly I can push my camera to F/8 and above which makes the foreground and background in focus like your eyes would see these things if you were standing there in real life.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
That reminds me that I have to finish my MG ZZ Gundam. God this is such an archaic MG...

Edit: China Gunpla

-1/144 Deep Striker Ex-S has been announced!

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 8, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Screw the other accessories, the cow is the best part of the kit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Screw the other accessories, the cow is the best part of the kit.

Good to see your attempt at 'painting' the cow went about as well as mine did. I don't know who paints those pilot statues, but whoever does must do it under a microscope or something.

Also, I'm incredibly jealous that you got the green forehead decal into place properly. That drat thing would just not go in for me. :argh:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Nah, I couldn't do it either. What you see there is paint.

You can't see it in the picture, but there are actually scratch marks all around the symbol. Since I couldn't get the decal in (it's basically impossible to get dry applies into crevasses), I tried applying both of them to the area around and then scraping it in. It kind of worked for a while, but it was really loose and eventually fell out.

In other news, I've decided on the 00 Raiser as my final MG before I start working on painting all the Seed vRMs. Anybody have any experience with it?

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

TaurusOxford posted:

That reminds me that I have to finish my MG ZZ Gundam. God this is such an archaic MG...

Edit: China Gunpla

-1/144 Deep Striker Ex-S has been announced!

Dear God... I really hope it's "reasonably" priced. It is such a cool design but the rarity of the GFF makes it insanely expensive.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Vahtooch posted:

Dear God... I really hope it's "reasonably" priced. It is such a cool design but the rarity of the GFF makes it insanely expensive.

Man, the Deep Striker is based around a robot whose name is literally pronounced "excess." Reasonable is kind of out of the question.

Not that I wouldn't mind more official Sentinel releases. Come on, Bandai. MG Ex-S 2.0. You can even call it a Ver. Ka for all I care.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mecha Gojira posted:

Man, the Deep Striker is based around a robot whose name is literally pronounced "excess." Reasonable is kind of out of the question.

Not that I wouldn't mind more official Sentinel releases. Come on, Bandai. MG Ex-S 2.0. You can even call it a Ver. Ka for all I care.

To be honest, I'd be really happy if they started making kits of stuff from Advance of Zeta. Especially the Hazel Custom and the Woundwort. :swoon:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'll take a TR-5. gently caress, I'll take a regular Gaplant and just give it a better color scheme. Just give me a big-rear end Gaplant.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

S-Alpha posted:

To be honest, I'd be really happy if they started making kits of stuff from Advance of Zeta. Especially the Hazel Custom and the Woundwort. :swoon:

I'd buy so many of those just for the names.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mecha Gojira posted:

Not trying to crush your dreams or anything (cause I of all people in this thread have no right to), but what good would a 2.0 Ex-S even serve? I can't see that kit becoming well articulated or even capable of standing up on its own no matter how advanced MG technology gets. It's not like Ex-S has bad proportions or looks old even. I'm just curious as to what you would expect from a 2.0.

BlitzBlast posted:

In other news, I've decided on the 00 Raiser as my final MG before I start working on painting all the Seed vRMs. Anybody have any experience with it?

00 Raiser is probably one of the best engineered kits I have ever made. I've seen reviews on the PG 00 Raiser and I can tell from those that the MG is superior to the PG.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm just about finished painting mine. The kit's really good. It's a solid build, good articulation, and a crapload of gimmicks. The only real problem I had with it is that it can't really hold the gigantic gn sword 3 beam with it's arm straight out or sideways. Also it has trouble holding the gn swords II when their combined.

If you want any crazy poses you're going to need an action base. It's not really the fault of the kit, but if you have the raiser on, it's going to become really back heavy no matter what they did.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 10, 2013

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

TaurusOxford posted:

Not trying to crush your dreams or anything (cause I of all people in this thread have no right to), but what good would a 2.0 Ex-S even serve? I can't see that kit becoming well articulated or even capable of standing up on its own no matter how advanced MG technology gets. It's not like Ex-S has bad proportions or looks old even. I'm just curious as to what you would expect from a 2.0.

A joke. Trust me, I know how awful the design is in general for... well anything that has to support its weight. I was one of the idiots who bought it in the Fix Figuration line, after all. Then again, it was also the GFF line...

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

TaurusOxford posted:

It's not like Ex-S has bad proportions

It does, actually. I'd been looking forward to an MG S-Gundam for years but I just hate the looks of the thing. They'll never redo it, though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

As far as ridiculous clusterfuck kits go, I'd rather see a MG Penelope instead of Ex-S 2.0. I want to see someone try and make a decent kit out of that abomination.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Mecha Gojira posted:

I meant reasonable in terms of what it is. So over $100 would probably be ok. Not like 2-300 that some of these weird kits end up at

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

As far as ridiculous clusterfuck kits go, I'd rather see a MG Penelope instead of Ex-S 2.0. I want to see someone try and make a decent kit out of that abomination.

I actually rather like the Penelope despite (maybe even because of) its excesses. Even if they couldn't do the whole hog, I'd like to get the Odysseus at the very least. I really like that design, simple, but with some cool additions.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
So I was doing some panel lining on my HGUC Hammrabi and the ball joint on his right leg just snapped right the hell off. The whole kit is done, painted, and assembled so I was very dismayed. Is there any way to fix this or am I just totally hosed?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Glue it back on. Just be thorough about wiping off the excess, and it should be fine.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Just super glue it? It's pretty flush off the ball. I would like it to still be pliable enough to pose it. Hammrabi is one of my favorite suits so it's really bumming me out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well how exactly did the ball joint break? Unless it was like,

right there, where the ball joint connects to the torso, I can't see glue affecting mobility much. And even if it was it still wouldn't be a problem as long as you make sure to not glue the ball to the torso.

Super glue works fine when you want to fix something you broke, but if you don't want to spend a while holding it in place you should probably pick up plastic cement. If you are fine with that, however, just glue the broken piece together, push them together, wipe off the stuff that oozes out (be really careful about this, dried superglue stands out a lot), then hold it in place for as long as the glue says to.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
If it's plastic on plastic use some plastic cement since it basically melts the plastic together, should still function, just be careful with it. Also you could do a metal rod and CA glue like we mentioned for that guy's Tallgeese. Really depends on how it broke.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Here is the break I had. It's pretty severe.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Depending on the size, you could pin it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If I'm looking at that picture right, the part that snapped off is the connection between the ball joint and the waist. The remains of the connection are even still there, though it's somewhat hard to tell since your camera doesn't focus on it.

So yes, you can glue it. Put glue/plastic cement on the parts that broke, press them together, hold in place, wipe off excess, etc. There shouldn't be any mobility issues (the articulation for the leg looks to be based on the ball joint, not the part that broke) unless you use way too much glue and, I don't know, straight up glue the thigh to the torso.

Alternatively, if you really paranoid about the glue, drill a small hole into the part on the waist and the ball joint. Then shove in an appropriate size brass rod (with glue on both edges so it sticks) and hold in place. Voila, exact same result.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Faltion posted:

(wont a 1/144 Victory be tiny?)
Only a little shorter than most AU Gundams, iirc.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

http://imgur.com/YJFv5YZ,2lSuAB5

FINALLY done. I hated building this thing. Finicky, WAY too much dependence on polycaps, and gently caress trying to make him hold his weapons. Time to work on something enjoyable again.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Oh GOD those proportions. The bare poly elbows are a nice touch, too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

When I was building the FA ZZ, I was struck by how it was very much like building a HG. I'm pretty sure there isn't even an inner frame.

Still desperately praying for a ZZ 2.0. There's still the November and December releases, right? It could happen. :smith:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

BlitzBlast posted:

When I was building the FA ZZ, I was struck by how it was very much like building a HG. I'm pretty sure there isn't even an inner frame.

Still desperately praying for a ZZ 2.0. There's still the November and December releases, right? It could happen. :smith:

It'd be nice to get a RG ZZ of some kind, and since they seem to just be cherry picking suits from whatever series they want for that line at the moment I wouldn't say its crazy unlikely to happen. ZZ came out in 1986 so worst comes to worst, we might get a special anniversary edition ZZ MG 3.0 in 2016! Hang in there!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

2013 is Victory Gundam's 20th anniversary, and we sure as hell haven't gotten a MG. Hell we're not even getting the V2's HG until next year.

Though if the big christmas release turns out to be the V2 AB I think I might explode from sheer joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Who wants to see what I've been doing all weekend?

This is the first 'real' major paintjob I've done after a couple practice jobs (ask me about my poor HG GP01), and I'm pretty happy with it. I did learn that if you're going to sand away sprue nubs, use fine grit, or the scratches will show through the paint. I'll probably go back to x-acto knife trimming in the future; it just seems to work better for me.

So far I've been using acrylic for the easy clean-up and lack of fumes which lets me paint inside, but I don't care for how easily it scratches. Would more coats solve this issue or is it just something I have to accept and plan for? I've only been using one or two coats to try and retain posability, but I could change that easily enough. What kind of paint do people here use? I've been watching a number of this guy's vids; he uses enamel pretty exclusively and gets fantastic results, but I think that's more due to his experience than anything else.

• Locked thread