Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wadjamaloo posted:

Doesn't every game ever have a disclaimer about not giving out your password, and we will never ask for it, blah blah blah.

they didn't ask for mine. which i think means they can just loving take it. which is that much more hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

they didn't ask for mine. which i think means they can just loving take it. which is that much more hilarious.
It kind of makes sense that they can, though, at least at this stage of things. I hope they don't make the fact that they're capable of doing it public knowledge, though-- some mmo players are so paranoid and dumb that they already think developers/GMs etc ~care~ enough about in-game money to log in and like, steal it, somehow.

Yes, I am completely serious. I had a conversation with a WoW guildie that seriously believed that poo poo. I still can't get over it.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I thought they had the ability to clone a character as needed.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Nalin posted:

Did you ever "open" your army? Your army was closed last I checked, which means that people can't apply to join it; you have to manually invite people.

Yup, it's open now. Apply away.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

babydonthurtme posted:

It kind of makes sense that they can, though, at least at this stage of things. I hope they don't make the fact that they're capable of doing it public knowledge, though-- some mmo players are so paranoid and dumb that they already think developers/GMs etc ~care~ enough about in-game money to log in and like, steal it, somehow.

Yes, I am completely serious. I had a conversation with a WoW guildie that seriously believed that poo poo. I still can't get over it.

In most MMORPGs, CS reps in who do in-game stuff have the ability to log into your account, if necessary. I thought that was common knowledge by now, but I guess not.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Yeah I am a little confused why people are tinfoil-hatt'ing this so bad.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
The 503 errors are now happening constantly. Can't do anything, I know my router isn't a problem, and I don't have anything else plugging up the port, so I'm guessing it's on their side. /rui does nothing as well.

Edit: also, Recluse or Rhino? Anyone have either willing to spill the beans on them?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Anyone have either willing to spill the beans on them?

That's hysterical.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

fromoutofnowhere posted:

The 503 errors are now happening constantly. Can't do anything, I know my router isn't a problem, and I don't have anything else plugging up the port, so I'm guessing it's on their side. /rui does nothing as well.

Edit: also, Recluse or Rhino? Anyone have either willing to spill the beans on them?

Recluse. The devs seem to love it. It was pretty cool before, and then in the patch where everything got nerfed, they made it better. Just stick three poisons on and go to town.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Friend told me to get the Recluse, so far stock with the crossbow it's already pretty cool. Both T2 bio's are really fun right now. I think I'm going to max out both of them first.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The Recluse is a good frame. I won't argue that. I am, however, having a ton of fun as the Rhino so I will chime in with some info on that. With the right skill lineup, I blow through ARES missions while things try to shoot me in the rear end and they almost never do.

If you want to kill a lot of poo poo, go with the Recluse. If you want to tank a lot of poo poo, go with the Rhino (or Mammoth). Seriously, get on your dread frame and put on a chosen heavy armor and craft an Absorption Bomb. Go nuts! If you like the way that skill combo plays, Rhino is that and more.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
If you've played Electron at all, Recluse is basically just better in almost every way, except for the sweet zappy sound the Electron gun makes. The gun for the Recluse is pretty low key, but goddamn do you hit hard even with just a T2 crossbow. Also, though the alt fire does a nice, splashy aoe (which is AWESOME when you're jumping around avoiding 50 Juggernaughts and don't have time/guts/skill to aim precisely), you can't one-shot yourself by using it in close quarters like you can on the Assault frames at higher tiers.

In addition to your default sweet, hard-hitting poison abilities, you also have access to Healing wave and Healing Generator, which, if used correctly, can keep you (and your friends in lesser frames) alive in pretty hairy situations. Your HKM can either be you making GBS threads out healing and damage on everyone nearby, or making GBS threads out poison AOEs on everything nearby. With the Accord siphoning plating from the base Biotech and some mediocre kiting/dodging skills, you will never die.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
If you do go with recluse I'd suggest you look at getting a salvaged crossbow off the market. They take a hit to damage but the increased clip size and rate of fire is enough to give you significantly better dps, plus it's fun to hose down an area with the secondary fire.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Whichever frame you go with has a very good market for entry level gear. I can make you a really good deal on a crate of recovered grenade launchers for balls cheap. Balls. Cheap.

Balls.

Quick and dirty rundown on the various classes of dropped gear:

Recovered- big clips, big rates of fire, low per shot damage. Machine guns are machine guns. Bio rifles are machine guns. Even grenade launchers and crossbows are machine guns. If you plan on shooting every aranha or skivver in New Eden, they're not bad.

Accord Elite- slower rate of fire, smaller magazines, moar damage per shot. Seems to be the half way point between crafted gear and the recovered variants. Super common drops. The market (alt M) is flooded with them.

Accord (crafted)- better than stock in every possible way. Similar rate of fire as stock, but more effective. Unlike all the dropped gear that only has a repair pool of 1000, crafted gear starts at 6000the points so you get to keep it much longer.

Chosen- BOOM! Waiting...waiting...BOOM! High per shot damage, really slow refire. Great for one-shotting things. The raw DPS is absurd and the slow ROF means you won't be looking for ammo packs quite as often.

Abilities follow a similar graph. Chosen abilities are twice as effective but take twice as long to recharge. Recovered jump jets are amazing!

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker
So I logged into this game today to try it out, saw there were a couple of classes I couldn't pick without paying real money for them. Is this game pay2win?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
There are five 'classes' you get for free. Each of those classes has two alternate version classes, and all of those can be purchased with 10 pilot tokens. Pilot tokens are achieved by leveling up your 'classes'.

Specifically, you get a token every time you unlock the last of a color of mass/cpu/power for a frame.

If you look in the garage, you'll see you have 5 white, 2 green, 2 blue, and 1 red for each of Power, CPU and Mass as unlocks on your frame. You hover over the last white in each row, and you see it rewards a token. Each color tier gets far more expensive. But.. you can unlock all 3x5 whites on three different frames, and one row on a fourth, and that's 10 tokens for a new frame to play. I did this. Unlocking an entire frame (white, green, blue, red) is 12 tokens, enough for a new frame and 2 left over.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010
How active are the "higher level" zones (Antarctica, Sargasso Sea? and the other one)? Should I make the arcporter keys a priority so I can get access to better materials for crafting parts or just hang out in New Eden until I have decent T2 stuff. My mammoth is researched up to just before T3 but I don't really have any good T2 stuff yet mainly because I spent all my crystite on beta crystite stuff.

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker
Ah I see, well this game's not for me then. I was looking for something I could play once a week for an hour or so and still be competitive. I don't have time to grind poo poo forever, just want to pick up the game and have fun shooting people when nothing else is going on.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

keeb posted:

Ah I see, well this game's not for me then. I was looking for something I could play once a week for an hour or so and still be competitive. I don't have time to grind poo poo forever, just want to pick up the game and have fun shooting people when nothing else is going on.

If you're referring to PvP, the default battleframes are pretty much on an equal footing and sometimes better than the advanced ones. Of course, PvP in FireFall is extremely limited and there are better games out there if that's all you're interested in.

With that said, if you're looking for a game to play for an hour once a week, don't look at F2P games. There's pretty much only two F2P games where you could do that and not feel like someone who spent money or more time is having more fun than you, and they're both Valve games.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I'm wondering how many other people have their keys to all three zones but haven't yet completed them and gotten the key to BWA. If there are enough people we should set up a time so we can run everyone through at once so we have more people that can lead BWA.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Slifter posted:

I'm wondering how many other people have their keys to all three zones but haven't yet completed them and gotten the key to BWA. If there are enough people we should set up a time so we can run everyone through at once so we have more people that can lead BWA.

i need to get the pieces from sargasso sea, and antarctica.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How do you even get to the other zones, exactly?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Slifter posted:

I would be down, I have keys to all three zones, but have stepped foot only in one of them, and couldn't find a team to actually take on the mission.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Verranicus posted:

You craft each key. There are 3 of them: a Copacabana key, a Thump Dump key, and a Sunken Harbor key. Each key requires 2 special items and a bunch of resources.

Of the two special items each key requires, one of them you get at each of the POIs. You put 50 resonators in and get 50 vouchers. You then spend the 50 vouchers at the city's quartermaster to buy 1 of the special items.

The other special item you get from a quest. You should have gotten the quest the first time you put a crystite resonator into a POI. It starts the Dr. Batsheba quest. There should be a waypoint on your map west of Trans-Hub at the melding wall. There should be a container there. Use it and you will get 3 items. One item for each key.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Verranicus posted:

The "Keys" are called "Arcfold Modulators" btw. so you can search them in the crafting interface.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Nalin posted:

The other special item you get from a quest. You should have gotten the quest the first time you put a crystite resonator into a POI. It starts the Dr. Batsheba quest. There should be a waypoint on your map west of Trans-Hub at the melding wall. There should be a container there. Use it and you will get 3 items. One item for each key.

Dumbest quest ever btw, because it is literally goto a waypoint, open a chest, collect reward.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Slifter posted:

I've done bwa a ton of times, I didn't realize it needed a key. Is that the 'recover stuff' mission after you get into each of the key zones?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Meh, I've lost interest in this. The lack of direction is frustrating and it's not even like it has any deep systems or activites to make up for it like other sandbox games. From my 3-day or so stint I spent most of my time staring at thumpers or dying trying to do just about any ARES mission because nobody was ever around anywhere other than Copacabana (and nobody did most of those missions either).

Anyway, I'm sure it will appeal to some people but I just couldn't get into something so bland.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

glug posted:

I've done bwa a ton of times, I didn't realize it needed a key. Is that the 'recover stuff' mission after you get into each of the key zones?

You don't need a key to enter BWA if you are in a squad with someone who has one. And yes is the answer to your question.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Verranicus posted:

Meh, I've lost interest in this. The lack of direction is frustrating and it's not even like it has any deep systems or activites to make up for it like other sandbox games. From my 3-day or so stint I spent most of my time staring at thumpers or dying trying to do just about any ARES mission because nobody was ever around anywhere other than Copacabana (and nobody did most of those missions either).

Anyway, I'm sure it will appeal to some people but I just couldn't get into something so bland.

The lack of direction is a mix of sandbox / early in development. Just as with any other games, you have to make your own fun. Personally, I like doing ARES missions with other goons or seeing if I can solo that nasty orange group bomb mission over there until more goons log in again. Fortunately, there always seems to be at least three to 12 online at any given time. Even if half of them don't talk in army chat. Solo thumping is only a little more interesting than mining in EVE. Don't do that. If you are looking more for a game where you are told to go from one quest hub to another to have pre-scripted fun, you're right. This is not that game.

I hope when they introduce the campaign and chosen war that it won't become that game either. I can't stand that poo poo. I was super excited to play RIFT until about a week into it that I realized that all I was doing was following a carefully scripted path of progression that some other people thought would be a formula for my fun. Crap like that made me go to Project 1999.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Does someone have a list of the goon armies currently up and running? [Goons] is full.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Go to the army list and search for "GOON" and you will find a bunch of things. Most obviously aren't goon guilds but you will see the ones that most obviously are. Pick one that isn't at 20 and apply. FAT just opened up and has been linked to Alliancebot.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Haerc posted:

Does someone have a list of the goon armies currently up and running? [Goons] is full.
I was about to say, "Check the op", but it looks like Christopher still hasn't modified the op with the changes I requested. I'll duplicate it here:

---

How do I get together with goons?

Since closed beta, there has been two goon armies in the game: [GOONS] Goon Squad and [LLJK] Goon Squad II. Both armies have been subject to inactivity purges for months and have reached a point where the only the hardcore poopsockers remain. Since armies are limited to 20 players (thanks Red 5!) you may have to start your own goon army.

Current armies:
[GOONS] Goon Squad
[LLJK] Goon Squad II
[FAT] Goon Platoon

If you wish to apply for an army, press the O key in-game, scroll down to Army List, and left-click. You can now search for the army you wish to join. If you search via the army tag, make sure that you include the square brackets! E.g., [GOONS], not GOONS.

What is this GoonFall/AllianceBot thingy?
Red 5 has not implemented any sort of alliance level chat in the game. This makes it difficult for communication across multiple armies. Most large groups have taken to using an in-game IRC addon for communication. Since addons are difficult for goons to handle, our top goon wizards have created a chat relay program that can connect to Red 5's chat servers and join every single goon army channel. It then relays chat back and forth between the channels, effectively turning army chat into alliance chat. Yay!

---

Those are the 3 armies currently linked to GoonFall/AllianceBot. GOONS and LLJK are maxed out, although if you beg, you might be able to get an inactive kicked out. If there are even any inactives left. Your best bet is to either apply for [FAT] Goon Platoon, or start your own [FYAD] or something. If anybody starts their own army, I will link it to AllianceBot so you will be able to chat with all the other armies.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
[Gewns]Thumper in the rear has 17 slots open.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
I started playing a day or so ago and while it's fun, I wish I knew what was causing the game to hang on loading areas. It's not even at the actual loading screen with the percentages and stuff, but the Accord Armies and Firefall logo splashscreens that come before those take anywhere from 20 seconds to minute to go away before the actual loading begins...

It's just an inconvenience when logging in, but it pretty much makes the tornado melding pockets unplayable because 90% of the time I zone in with barely enough time to bumrush the exit, if even that.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

I started playing a day or so ago and while it's fun, I wish I knew what was causing the game to hang on loading areas. It's not even at the actual loading screen with the percentages and stuff, but the Accord Armies and Firefall logo splashscreens that come before those take anywhere from 20 seconds to minute to go away before the actual loading begins...

Chalk it up to open beta. I actually get hung up on that screen and have to close firefall and reboot. Before anyone says 'just wait' trust me, I've waited. Longer than a normal person should.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
Can you only ever print two things at once at the molecular printer - having to wait hours to queue things to progress when all of a sudden I want to make a pack of amplifier crystite cores is kind of a downer.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

It's just an inconvenience when logging in, but it pretty much makes the tornado melding pockets unplayable because 90% of the time I zone in with barely enough time to bumrush the exit, if even that.

Yeah, this is the reason why I've stopped going inside the Tornado Portals. Well that and sticking around outside to blow up the guys that spawn in a clump on the portal in one shot is really satisfying.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

Hanging during loading screens is a known issue, you can work around this by bringing down the console (ALT+F1) and typing quit then relaunching Firefall.
Defragging may help a little due to how the vt archives operate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nutty
Mar 3, 2005

I tried firefall out a couple times during the closed beta and I have to say that it has come a long way. I really love how the dynamic content feeds crafting and that feeds advancement. I can't wait to see what they do next and play with some goons.

• Locked thread