Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I don't know exactly how to procede from here. I read the OP but I am still a bit hesitant.

My profile is fully filled out (all-star!). I have gotten up to about 100 connections. I have joined several groups.

So now...I guess I should do what the OP says here:

"The Jobs board of a group is what gets most of the attention, and will also most likely require the most maintenance on your part while you're actively searching for a job. The simplest method is posting a short and to the point message on the board with a one sentence description of your experience with a note mentioning that you're looking for new opportunities and encouraging readers to check out your profile. Don't post an email yet, that will just invite spam."

And also try to connect with recruiters in these same groups? I'm not really sure how to do this. What kind of groups are we talking about? For instance, I am going into a Master's in CS program this fall and am looking for some kind of internship/job/co-op that is either CS related or at least tech related. What kinds of groups should I look for? Local groups?

I'm not sure even how to articulate what I am unsure about and I guess I just need a bit of a general push in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

Pug posted:

I would say keep up with them every week or two should be fine. You probably did not meet one of the criteria for a position they had available when they first contacted you. Ask them to help you update your resume. Consider inquiring about any temp positions that may be available while you search for a new permanent position. Also, don't be afraid to contact other staffing agencies.

It seems like the case. I'm trying to make a move across the country, so this may be a problem for them, but I don't know how they prioritize things. I have reached out to multiple recruiters and agencies, following the advice from this thread, but so far it's been a real challenge.

Sarcasmatron posted:

Follow up weekly, always let them know when you're going to follow up again, (e.g. "If I don't hear from you beforehand, I'll ping you next Thursday, OK?).

The only time I've heard a "no" was "Thursday's bad, as I'm going out of town. How about the Monday after?"

It's always good to have a career-goal relevant opener to follow-up emails. This week has provided plenty of fodder for anyone who wants to work in the games industry, as an example.

I'm just having a hard time actually getting a reply. LinkedIn connections happen, but that's about as far as it goes... about 80% of the time. Great advice, I'll test the waters with others and see what works :)

ianskate fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 2, 2013

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
As far as jobs posted in groups I am a member of, it's mostly spam. I'm talking about design and content writing, but design in particular is filled with just atrocious job listings, spec work and incredibly low fees. There's also spam in the form of book advertising: 'find out how to make the perfect CV with this e-book'. The weirdest part is that the mods of these groups allow crap like that. Regardless, thanks to this thread and the Stairmasters group, I've learned a lot and have found some interesting groups.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
90% of the unmoderated groups are poo poo.

50% of the moderated groups are, as well.

Post useful, non-spammy replies to other peoples posts > get followed > get connection requests, some of which might actually be useful.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
True. In the field of 'creative professionals' it seems as if some groups are predominately dedicated to spam, with discussions being mostly terrible job listings, posted and commented by possibly fake profiles.

We have a demand for peer reviews in the Stairmasters group. Who's up for it? I'd like a peer review, and I'll do a review if I'm eligible.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Wouldn't mind doing a few peer reviews. Please PM me or post here if you'd like. Just so I know the request is directed at me in any case. :)

Or feel free to Linkedin message me if we're connected already.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I'd like a peer review, please.
I am a designer / content writer, so those of you in the creative industry, feel free to ask me for a peer review, or do a review of my profile. Thanks!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This landed in my inbox today:

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130612170852-15454-hire-economics-don-t-waste-your-time-applying-to-job-postings

At this point I get about three calls a week on average. It's been well over a year since I've applied to anything but on a lark. Back when I did apply anything, I would only get callbacks for high turnover stuff like retail sales, where having a heartbeat, a free schedule, and no visible higher career ambition was more important than qualifications.

I think the trouble for a lot of people is to actually start networking, somehow. That can be hard out of school. You need that first job where you can meet people. That starts with posting a (good) resume on job boards. Actually using that resume to apply for stuff? Total waste of time. You need recruiters to call you with real openings.

Recruiters can be poo poo too. If it's an Indian with a thick accent who can't or won't tell you anything substantive about the job, just do yourself a favor and forget they ever called. If the recruiter is actually trying to touch base, learn what your deal is and what your needs are, that's a good opening. If the recruiter is trying to sell you on coming to an interview right now before giving any details, forget about them, he's trying to get you into a poo poo sales position or to work for an insurance company or something even more horrible.

If you are at a job and getting calls, don't settle for lateral movement if you can afford to sit there at your current job. Either they substantially beat your current pay or give you a position in the career you want (probably both if the job is any good).

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Gotten a few profile reviews out. Rad R. were you requesting one from me in particular? I wasn't sure because you specifically cited people in the creative industry. I want to make sure nobody is getting ignored.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Since you are the OP of this thread and have helped me use LinkedIn in a much better way, then yes, please do a review. Thanks.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
So I followed the op's advice here, but I've run into a snag.

Perhaps Linkedin has changed, but I can't just make connection requests to random people anymore. It tells me that if I don't at least have the e-mail address of the person or recruiter that I'm trying to get in touch with then I won't be able to actually send them a connect request.

Since most of the op's advice kind of hinges on that assumption... I don't really see how to proceed, sadly.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
What's the exact situation? Is it a person who's in the same group as you? Have you already sent them a connection request? What level connection are they?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

hackedaccount posted:

What's the exact situation? Is it a person who's in the same group as you? Have you already sent them a connection request? What level connection are they?

Specifically, when I join large groups and see the few job postings on them (which has been my experience thus far), I try to send connect requests to the recruiters posting them as recommended in the op. I'm told that I have to say how I know these recruiters, thouh, and since I am not their friend or have not otherwise worked with them in the past the linkedin site won't allow me to add them unless I can say what their email address is. This is the specific problem.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Feel free to hit "friend" as the method you know them. Recruiters will accept anyway. Most people don't even care how they "know" someone on Linkedin, and particularly when their job is specifically to network with others.

However, if you both share a group membership, that should be also available as a selection. If that's the case but you're unable to select it for some reason, then you're running into the nuances and inner workings of Linkedin's connections system that I don't and can't know too much about. Probably only their internal team members that work on it specifically might be able to say why or go into the details.

Again, if the case is that a common group membership isn't an acceptable reason to send someone a connection request, I could guess that perhaps you haven't been a member of the group long enough (based on some arbitrary length of time -- 24, 48 hours?). Another guess is that that reason for sending the connection request becomes less and less relevant as the size of the group in question becomes bigger and bigger (admittedly, a true statement), and so after a certain membership level, you can't choose that option as a reason to connect.

These are only guesses though, like I said--and in any case, feel free to bypass the question entirely by just choosing "friend."

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
This isn't directly related to LinkedIn, but an employer I found and would like to apply to has "Current salary" and "Desired salary" as required items on their online application. I've been seeing a lot of information from negotiation sites saying to never, ever give those numbers away. I'm not sure how to proceed at this point, because if I'm truthful about my current salary, it's going to look like a huge raise because I'm in a shithole for jobs and my current employer pays in the bottom 10%. I used to think it was just the bottom 25%, but since I started doing salary research I found out I'm getting screwed royally, and it looks like that screwing is going to haunt me into the next employer.

If I lie, then I'm screwed because I'm not truthful, but if I tell the truth, it looks like I'm helping myself to a huge raise at their expense, or that I'm not experienced enough. Is there any good way past this sort of thing? Maybe use total compensation for current salary? Or is that already sleazy and likely to get me in trouble?

Edit: An actual coherent question: Is it ever acceptable to lie about previous salary? If so, in what way?

Dalrain fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 9, 2013

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Does it require integer input? If not, just write "confidential."

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Unknown at this time, it would appear that I need to actually attempt to submit the form to find out if it will validate it as a number. However, this sounds like a good idea and I'll probably try it when I submit the application. The fact that it makes you select a currency would suggest they'll do some kind of validation, but I could be proven wrong. I've seen some others that suggest putting $1, but then I'm still clearly lying on the application with the hope that -something- will happen.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Adjust your current salary to the cost of living in the location you're applying to, include any benefits not included in the new job. If I understand correctly you're looking at moving, right?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Adjust your current salary to the cost of living in the location you're applying to, include any benefits not included in the new job. If I understand correctly you're looking at moving, right?

This is exactly what I would suggest to do.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
That's correct, a move would be involved to a state with a significantly higher standard of living. I like your advice, and it sounds like a good way to go if it requires a number. Thanks!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Thank you for the tip on sending connect requests to people.

quote:

After a period of time, you'll likely form some decent working relationships with recruiters, whether or not you receive any offers of employment in the process.

About this part of the op: about how long did this "period of time" take for you? During that time, did you just go back and forth to try and talk to recruiters a bit about things in general before asking them for a recommendation? How did you go about it? Did you perhaps work it into a conversation you were already having, for example?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

Thank you for the tip on sending connect requests to people.

About this part of the op: about how long did this "period of time" take for you? During that time, did you just go back and forth to try and talk to recruiters a bit about things in general before asking them for a recommendation? How did you go about it? Did you perhaps work it into a conversation you were already having, for example?

Usually after I had been working with them for a while on one or more job opportunities. This could be anywhere from 2-3 weeks to a couple months, depending on the circumstances. Obviously the longer you work with someone the stronger the relationship is, but I would say in general that once you've worked closely with a recruiter on pursuing an open position you're probably in a good place to ask them if they'd be willing to write you a recommendation on Linkedin.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yesterday I applied to a job on careerbuilder and afterwards I was looking at the company's website for other openings and I saw the job I had applied to, with the recruiter's name/picture and a link to apply to the job on linkedin.

You think I should send a contact request to the recruiter? Or a message or something? I don't see how it could hurt, I have to imagine careerbuilder resumes just fall into a vacuum.

I wish I would have seen that in the first place, I've been working on my profile, taking all the advice in the thread.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 10, 2013

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I don't understand the whole getting a recommendation from a recruiter thing. I mean, they don't even know you or have any idea whether or not you would be a competent employee. Is the whole thing a game? Wouldn't most people be able to see through this?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Doghouse posted:

I don't understand the whole getting a recommendation from a recruiter thing. I mean, they don't even know you or have any idea whether or not you would be a competent employee. Is the whole thing a game? Wouldn't most people be able to see through this?

The whole recommendation thing is a game that most people see through. Look at the # of mutual recommendations out there. It's meaningless. Places I've been if they were going to call references would always check linked in first and request references that weren't on the linked in recommendation list.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I think the point is to game the LI search results so you appear ahead of others.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Erdricks posted:

I think the point is to game the LI search results so you appear ahead of others.

Exactly. Plus, you appear in more people's search results because of a larger number of 2nd degree connections (if not 1st degree connections) just because of your association with a recruiter-type with a much larger average number of 1st degree connections themselves.

Doghouse posted:

I don't understand the whole getting a recommendation from a recruiter thing. I mean, they don't even know you or have any idea whether or not you would be a competent employee.

The idea is to ask for a recommendation once they DO know you, i.e. asking for recommendations from recruiters you've personally worked with and established some form of professional rapport with.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Places I've been if they were going to call references would always check linked in first and request references that weren't on the linked in recommendation list.

That's incredibly dumb.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sancho posted:

That's incredibly dumb.

No dumber than the 'oh hey recommend me and I'll recommend you'-jerk fest that happens whenever there's a layoff. http://www.hartsman.com/2009/07/29/linkedin-for-pragmatists-why-i-stopped-recommending/ is one write-up that helped shape my belief.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I had an interview with a company today that I thought went pretty well, or at least the people who interviewed me seemed friendly enough. I searched LinkenIn and found a couple of them, would it be improper to send a connect request to any of them while they're still in the middle of making a hiring decision?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I had an interview with a company today that I thought went pretty well, or at least the people who interviewed me seemed friendly enough. I searched LinkenIn and found a couple of them, would it be improper to send a connect request to any of them while they're still in the middle of making a hiring decision?

Nope!

If you can/should send connection requests to people who are (basically) total strangers, why not people you've actually met?

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm working my way through this thread, but it's already expanding pretty fast so apologies if this has already been covered.

I'm currently trying to find any position that I'm qualified for with a complete focus on a short list of companies (2 or 3). Right now I'm most focused on getting in to a company in California even though I live in Pennsylvania. I have been sending link requests to a few people in the company in departments I would qualify to work in and then starting a dialogue abut the company. Does this sound like a good strategy? What can improve my chances at getting them to take a cross-country candidate more seriously? Finally, the ceo of the company is on linkedin in a group I am a member of. Should I go for it and try to connect with him on the basis of my enthusiastic desire to work in his company? The company is high tech and multinational, but not employee heavy and the ceo started the company from scratch in the 80s. Also, I'll be requesting to join stairmasters today.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
California seems like the #1 place that recruits from out of state right now. However if you tell them you live in Penn you are just giving them another reason to not get invested in looking you over.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
Well, I'm glad I found this thread, because I've heard over and over that "networking" is the best way to get a job, but I had no clue of the nuts and bolts of it. And so far, it's going well. I've tuned up and completed my profile, and added connections indiscriminately (what was I thinking before, when I rejected connections of people I didn't know?), as well as joined a handful of industry-specific groups.

But...

There aren't really any active topics in those groups, at least not that I can meaningfully contribute to. I don't want to spam or low-content post; is this just the sign of a bad group?

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

KnifeWrench posted:

There aren't really any active topics in those groups, at least not that I can meaningfully contribute to. I don't want to spam or low-content post; is this just the sign of a bad group?

Could be a sign of a bad group, or just a slow week.
Either way it can't hurt to ask a relevant question and request the group's opinion. For example, if it's a group for job seekers, ask what people think of objective statements on resumes, or how people answer the 'biggest weakness' question during interviews. If you get responses, great. If not, move on to a new group and try again.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
There's a job application I'm looking at where they ask if they can contact my current supervisor, and have Yes/No/Yes, After Offer. I'm inclined to say "Yes, after offer," but then I can't figure out why they would even do that. Any ideas? I guess if they heard bad things, they could rescind their offer since it's all at-will and leave you screwed, but is there another reason they would want that?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Not sure if this should go here but since LinkedIn led me to the problem I'll post it here- I was contacted by a woman from Recruiting Service A and had a very positive interview with them (I was actually interviewed by her partner- more on that later) last week, and they have put my profile up on their database for someone to hopefully hire me. Today I saw a job posting in a group that listed the contact info of someone working for Recruiting Service B, and when I called her about the job posting she told me about a few others that they have, and asked that I send my resume to her.

If I do this and Service B helps me find a job (which isn't a guarantee), am I stabbing my rep from service A in the back? I guess I don't owe them anything yet but it was a really successful interview (my rep followed up with me the next day, and I guess her partner that interviewed me said "[He] nailed the interview, you have to find him a job") and I would like to keep her as a contact and rep since I'm staying in this area for the foreseeable future. At the same time, I guess she has no way of finding out that I got a job through some other service, and she even encouraged to keep up my own job search on top of her help. I must be over-thinking this, right?

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

C-Euro posted:

Not sure if this should go here but since LinkedIn led me to the problem I'll post it here- I was contacted by a woman from Recruiting Service A and had a very positive interview with them (I was actually interviewed by her partner- more on that later) last week, and they have put my profile up on their database for someone to hopefully hire me. Today I saw a job posting in a group that listed the contact info of someone working for Recruiting Service B, and when I called her about the job posting she told me about a few others that they have, and asked that I send my resume to her.

If I do this and Service B helps me find a job (which isn't a guarantee), am I stabbing my rep from service A in the back? I guess I don't owe them anything yet but it was a really successful interview (my rep followed up with me the next day, and I guess her partner that interviewed me said "[He] nailed the interview, you have to find him a job") and I would like to keep her as a contact and rep since I'm staying in this area for the foreseeable future. At the same time, I guess she has no way of finding out that I got a job through some other service, and she even encouraged to keep up my own job search on top of her help. I must be over-thinking this, right?

You're definitely over-thinking this. Recruiters are paid when they get you a job, so they're definitely on your side. However, they understand that you're out on your own and talking to other people too, that's part of why they're really pushy about getting in with you, trying to get you that job first. You don't owe them anything yet, just keep looking out for #1.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
Got my first unsolicited message from a recruiter yesterday; it's starting to work!

I also got a got a pretty solid contact by using LinkedIn "as intended", too. A former classmate with his own startup noticed I was looking for work and said they might need someone with my skills. (For those keeping score, that's "someone I actually know" and "admitting I'm unemployed")

So it works both ways. In any case, it's infinitely more effective than emailing resumes into the void (no hits on that so far).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Reverse the situation, "I'm a recruiter and Engineer A sent me their resume, then Engineer B sent me theirs, should I throw away Engineer's B since A hasn't gotten his job yet? What if he doesn't choose be in the future if B gets employed?"

• Locked thread