Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

e: tried out my 3rd party adapter and it doesn't work. dang.

Which one did you get? Thats why I'm considering buying the real Canon for $100~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Shmoogy posted:

Which one did you get? Thats why I'm considering buying the real Canon for $100~

It was from Amazon- "Rainbowimag"- on the adaptor itself it say "Fotasy"

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

RustedChrome posted:

Maybe this Canon M discount is a clearance sale. It seems like Canon is giving up on the system in the US at least.
http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-ef-m-11-22mm-f4-5-6-is-stm-lens-will-not-be-sold-in-the-usa/

You're probably right, it's pretty damning to not release a new lens for the system in the U.S., especially when it only has two so far.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
People were thinking that they're saving it for a kit when the successor is announced.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shmoogy posted:

Where are you seeing the canon one for $100? It's $175 on amazon.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
The new AF system seems ideal for mirrorless. I'd be bummed if they gave up on the M line so soon.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I have heard Canon is working on its own version of "speed booster" adapter, If you don't have an EF lens, its wise to hold off buying the Canon EF-m to EF adapter for now.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-EOS-M-Mount-Adapter-Ring-For-EF-Lens-/290909317557?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item43bb8be9b5

People who ordered it on the 3rd/4th received it today and say it was a legit Canon box and works perfectly. Some of them got it for $85 on the first day of the sale, but they're all pretty much $100+ now. (At one point they were like $60/70, before the sale, but white box removed from a kit).

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just got my hands on a RX1; the image quality from that Zeiss lens is absurdly good! AF is definitely slower compared to the OMD but when it locks on, it's almost always accurate. However the issue about colour shifts is real but extremely rare, I think it has only happened about 1-2% of the time so far.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The new AF system seems ideal for mirrorless. I'd be bummed if they gave up on the M line so soon.

I can't believe that they would give up on an entirely new line because of a bad launch.

My guess is that the first model sold very poorly and they need to clear stocks before launching the next model.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The M launched in way too high of a price bracket for what it was. In the $800+ range, it's honestly poo poo. The quality is quite good, the size is amazing, the UI is very nice (albeit too touch oriented), but the handling was utter trash. In retrospect, I'm sure they realize that they made too many mistakes/compromises (at least for the US as a market) because they did not want to hurt their entry level dSLRs.

There is no way they are going to shelve it permanently- it probably cost a metric poo poo ton to develop a new mount and get everything set up. Ignoring the US and giving it over to Nikon, Sony, and Fuji would probably be a really bad business move for the rest of their business.

e: I got a chance to use my M yesterday a bit more, and everybody I was with was pretty impressed when they used it. Haven't really seen reactions like that since I had a fuji X100.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The EF-M mount is the future replacement of the Canon low end SLR bodies. How do you figure they will can it? Canon developed their next gen APSC sensor with hybrid AF in mind. They even sacrifice pixel count for it.

When Canon is ready too puch the EF-M mount, they will release lens twice as frequent as the Fuji.

Now the Nikon 1 system, its useless shortsighted design that should be discontinue immidiately.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whatever7 posted:

The EF-M mount is the future replacement of the Canon low end SLR bodies. How do you figure they will can it? Canon developed their next gen APSC sensor with hybrid AF in mind. They even sacrifice pixel count for it.

When Canon is ready too puch the EF-M mount, they will release lens twice as frequent as the Fuji.

Now the Nikon 1 system, its useless shortsighted design that should be discontinue immidiately.

Good luck using a mirrorbox with that mount!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I think Canon may just be abandoning the M series in the US, not worldwide. Mirrorless sales are still pretty minor here and I think it's just too small of an audience for Canon and Nikon to put much effort into it when they are making money with DSLRs.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Didn't they just launch the SL1 "world's smallest DSLR"? Could be testing which markets want which kind of camera.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Canon is hedging the bets. EOSM 100D G1X and maybe a S110 successor with a larger sensor. They are basically different answer to the same kind of market.

I expect Canon release 2 mirrorless bodies after EOS M, one in NEX3 class and another probably in NEX5/6 class. Also they need a prosumer prime lens to go with the bodies. Something like the Fuji 35mm/1.4.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If they designed the SL1 to look like one of the old AE cameras that would have been pretty swell. But nope: Small black shitbox.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

whatever7 posted:

Canon is hedging the bets. EOSM 100D G1X and maybe a S110 successor with a larger sensor. They are basically different answer to the same kind of market.

I expect Canon release 2 mirrorless bodies after EOS M, one in NEX3 class and another probably in NEX5/6 class. Also they need a prosumer prime lens to go with the bodies. Something like the Fuji 35mm/1.4.

I too think that canon will continue to make poor decisions until Ricoh/Pentax replace them as the number 2 camera company in the world.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shmoogy posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-EOS-M-Mount-Adapter-Ring-For-EF-Lens-/290909317557?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item43bb8be9b5

People who ordered it on the 3rd/4th received it today and say it was a legit Canon box and works perfectly. Some of them got it for $85 on the first day of the sale, but they're all pretty much $100+ now. (At one point they were like $60/70, before the sale, but white box removed from a kit).

Thanks! I ordered one, but it probably won't get here until August.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Man the size idea of the M sounded really nice until you thought about using your EF-s lenses on it. That has to be some awkward weight difference. I almost bought one just to keep the 22 on it and toss it in a backpack for a who gives a poo poo what happens to it p/s drunk bar crawl camera.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Musket posted:

Man the size idea of the M sounded really nice until you thought about using your EF-s lenses on it. That has to be some awkward weight difference. I almost bought one just to keep the 22 on it and toss it in a backpack for a who gives a poo poo what happens to it p/s drunk bar crawl camera.

If you're going to do that you might as well get a panasonic gf3 and any lens you don't care about on it for crazy cheap. BGN gf3's are like, 85 bucks on keh last I checked.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

So guess who dropped an olympus 60/2.8 3 feet today, and guess how fragile some of the fiddly bits inside that lens are :buddy:

Guess I get to find out how good olympus repair process is. :|

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

So guess who dropped an olympus 60/2.8 3 feet today, and guess how fragile some of the fiddly bits inside that lens are :buddy:

Guess I get to find out how good olympus repair process is. :|

Considering how light that lens is, I think most of the bits inside are made of plastic.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

alkanphel posted:

Considering how light that lens is, I think most of the bits inside are made of plastic.

Yeah, it wasn't even a drop onto rock or anything. Not real impressed with the durability.

:|

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I'm getting really tired of my 7D, awesome though it may be - the DSLR form factor has started to bug me. Since I got an RX100 last year I've basically only used the 7D for time-lapse/astro stuff (which I'm not even good at). I'm kind of tempted to eventually ditch the 7D and go mirrorless, but I have a couple of decent EF-lenses. Is there any chance at all that Canon will come out with a good APS-C-mirrorless variant that takes EF lenses? Or are they seriously going to stick with that moronic M-mount for which I'd have to buy an adapter (not to mention that the EOS-M doesn't appear to be a very good camera)? Or maybe I should just sell all my Canon stuff and go for something like the Fuji X-Pro 2 when it eventually comes out... Ugh, it sucks, because I really like the handling and the IQ of my 7D, I just can't handle the bulkiness :(

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Wengy posted:

I'm getting really tired of my 7D, awesome though it may be - the DSLR form factor has started to bug me. Since I got an RX100 last year I've basically only used the 7D for time-lapse/astro stuff (which I'm not even good at). I'm kind of tempted to eventually ditch the 7D and go mirrorless, but I have a couple of decent EF-lenses. Is there any chance at all that Canon will come out with a good APS-C-mirrorless variant that takes EF lenses? Or are they seriously going to stick with that moronic M-mount for which I'd have to buy an adapter (not to mention that the EOS-M doesn't appear to be a very good camera)? Or maybe I should just sell all my Canon stuff and go for something like the Fuji X-Pro 2 when it eventually comes out... Ugh, it sucks, because I really like the handling and the IQ of my 7D, I just can't handle the bulkiness :(

The problem with keeping the EF mount is that well, it's big! You're probably not going to get much smaller than the SL1. In theory you could make it shorter by cutting off the mirror box, but the thickness and width is pretty much always going to be bulky just because of the lens mount (see the Pentax K-01 for a mirrorless camera built around an SLR mount). That said the sl1 is really small, it's smaller than a Panasonic GH3 for example.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wengy posted:

If you don't care about telephoto, go with Fuji. I far prefer its color palette.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The EF-M mount takes advantage of the fact that the EOS-M has no mirror box to allow for smaller lenses. That is, EF-M mount lenses are designed to sit closer to the sensor than EF mount lenses. The EF-M mount to EF mount adapter is basically a spacer to allow EF lenses to sit at the correct distance from the EOS-M sensor. If you're looking to have a carry around camera for everyday stuff to augment your 7D get the 22mm ƒ/2 pancake and maybe the EF-M to EF adapter so you can play with your EF glass.

If you're looking to replace your 7D instead of augment it then maybe it's a good idea to wait and see what Fuji does next.

PS - I have never been to canon's website before why is the layout so bad? Took me forever to find the lenses.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Interesting. I guess I'll stick with the 7D for a while yet and see what the next generation of X-Pros brings. If they manage to also release a nice remote with an intervalometer, I might just go for it (I like shooting night skies). One stumbling block would be post-processing though, I use DxO which doesn't play nice with Fuji's RAWs. I'll definitely keep an eye on the market then.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Wengy posted:

Interesting. I guess I'll stick with the 7D for a while yet and see what the next generation of X-Pros brings. If they manage to also release a nice remote with an intervalometer, I might just go for it (I like shooting night skies). One stumbling block would be post-processing though, I use DxO which doesn't play nice with Fuji's RAWs. I'll definitely keep an eye on the market then.

Next Gen Xpro wont be supported by DxO either. They are very firm on not wanting to do the math for the X-sensor. They might change their mind as the market for Fuji grows.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Musket posted:

Next Gen Xpro wont be supported by DxO either. They are very firm on not wanting to do the math for the X-sensor. They might change their mind as the market for Fuji grows.

Yeah, just researched it and read something to that effect on their website. This sucks, DxO is really the only photography software I can handle. Ah well. At least I know that I really do want to go mirrorless, just not quite yet :)

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Wengy posted:

Yeah, just researched it and read something to that effect on their website. This sucks, DxO is really the only photography software I can handle. Ah well. At least I know that I really do want to go mirrorless, just not quite yet :)

Lightroom isnt that hard. Between the 2 of them I find that both are really easy to learn. ACR does a good job with RAF files now. What does DxO have that LR cant have with a user defined plug in?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wengy posted:

You can use cheap Canon 2.5mm wired trigger intervalometer from China. I paid 14 bux for one.

IMO the only things Fuji miss are a couple more lens and a off camera TTL solution.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 16, 2013

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Musket posted:

Lightroom isnt that hard. Between the 2 of them I find that both are really easy to learn. ACR does a good job with RAF files now. What does DxO have that LR cant have with a user defined plug in?

I find the UI in DxO to be very intuitive, much more so than Lightroom, which I tried a while ago and just didn't really get.

Eh, maybe I could just sell my RX100 and save up for an X100s rather than selling all my Canon stuff and buying into a new system. Gonna have to think about it.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Wengy posted:

I find the UI in DxO to be very intuitive, much more so than Lightroom, which I tried a while ago and just didn't really get.

Eh, maybe I could just sell my RX100 and save up for an X100s rather than selling all my Canon stuff and buying into a new system. Gonna have to think about it.

The X100 will work in DxO nbd its not a Xtrans Sensor. X100s is. Capture 1 does an ok job with RAF files. There may even still be a Capture 1 ver 6 free download available still. I am not sure if it still works http://petapixel.com/2013/06/26/download-capture-one-express-6-by-phase-one-for-free/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I keep having doubts about getting the om-d with 12-50 instead of body only with a better lens. It's €180 or so if I get it in the kit, and it has a great focal range and weather sealing and all that jazz, but 3.5-6.3 drat.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I keep having doubts about getting the om-d with 12-50 instead of body only with a better lens. It's €180 or so if I get it in the kit, and it has a great focal range and weather sealing and all that jazz, but 3.5-6.3 drat.

If you'll use the weather sealing get it, otherwise meh.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Welp, I'd better start saving.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Yeah if you can afford it, you could go for the Panasonic 14-45 G Vario or the the more expensive 12-35 G X Vario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

alkanphel posted:

Yeah if you can afford it, you could go for the Panasonic 14-45 G Vario or the the more expensive 12-35 G X Vario.

The 12-35 is very sexy but way over my budget for a "starter" lens IMHO.

The 14-45 looks okay but the aperture is actually a bit worse? 3.5 at 14 instead of at 12. Also yeah 5.6 but at 45, not 50. I'll need to look up what the oly does at 45.
So is the panny really better?

In any case the om-d has IBIS so I don't need OIS, seems a bit of a waste.

I was also looking at the oly 45/1.8, great lens but is it practical for walking around photography?

As for other lenses: I want to at least get the parted out panny 14 from eBay just because it's cheap. Then later the 20/1.7 (gotta love them fast primes)