Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

AlphaDog posted:

I bought the book, because I like having books. Is there a way to give the developers more of my money? I want to give them more of my money.

You can buy more copies and give them to your friends :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Preorders are back up. I'm looking to get at least one copy in the UK, but apparently you can't just order them direct. Which I confess to being slightly relieved about given that the address entry tool has a WEIRD selection of counties and not-counties.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
A friend of mine from another forum was worried about his copy of the book falling apart, so he commissioned a leather cover featuring his paladin from a PbP campaign.

It owns

dat spine

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
So after reading some of the latest updates in F&F I want to run Tomb of Horrors in Dungeon World just to see what it would be like.

(And also to see if my friends would ever speak to me again). :v:

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 12, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BlurryMystr posted:

A friend of mine from another forum was worried about his copy of the book falling apart, so he commissioned a leather cover featuring his paladin from a PbP campaign.

It owns

dat spine

:drat:

That's absolutely ridiculous and also completely kickass.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Hey everyone, I've just joined a game and I'm new to Dungeon World as of yesterday. I saw this compendium class and I really like it so I tried writing up the beginning of a playbook. It got pretty complicated and I've only had a couple of hours to write it up because I'm about to travel, but here it is! Tell me what you think:

THE SYMBIOTE

• The nature of the symbiote is not important except in the broadest terms.
→ Consider: Morality: (Good, Bad, Alien), Nature: (Spiritual, Mental, Physical), (Internal, External), (Heritage, Object, Organism or Pact)
→→ Maybe a system of Threat/Boon categories? "The symbiote poses a threat to: (Your Morality, Your Agency, Your Body)" following the spirit, mind, body split.
→→ "Poses a threat" simply means the symbiote wants to change something about you, for better or for worse. The pursuit of perfect equilibrium necessitates heavenly virtue, your vampiric curse may leave you with bestial features, frenzy and bloodthirst, . Symbiotes could be expanded to
→→→ In that vein (The pursuit of virtue), your symbiote may even be a formless urge as opposed to an external thing possessing agency, eg. A thirst for magic power, the desire to be the best husband ever. However, most of the class features are contingent on the symbiote having a complex agency ie. Possessing complicated desires.
→→
→ The urges of the symbiote would most likely be described with a series of key phrases when the nature of the symbiote is being figured out.
Eg. The Cordyceps Fungi wants you to:
• Climb up to high places and release spores.
• Avoid the uninfected.

• The symbiote compels you to some action. There is a constant struggle with the object. eg. Vile thirsts from your Dark Side, infernal compulsions from your Demonic Heritage, virtuous imperatives from your Ancestral Weapon.
→ Alien Intelligence, Cursed Hand, Magic Word, Extra-dimensional Parasite, Sentient Tumour, Mechanical Infection, Vampiric Eye, etc.
→ Give in to the urges for a small boost in power, lose yourself to the urges for a modest boost in power. Both these options are temporary.
→ Agree to perform some action for the symbiote in return for more power. Could be mechanically identical to the above if you introduce a time delay, penalties until fulfilment, etc.
→ Bargain away some piece of your self permanently for a huge boost in power (temporarily) or a modest boost in power (permanently)!
→→ Pieces of yourself may be regained through some extraordinary action. However, you do not retain the benefits of the bargain.
→→ In that vein, levelling up represents the maturation of your relationship with the symbiote. eg. Discovering a new Enochian syllable, understanding and embodying the virtue of your Ancestors, coming to
→→→ Those developments in your relationship with the symbiote which result from levelling up are always safe. They represent a safe, understood integration of your self with your symbiote ie. A mastery of your symbiote. eg. Allowing your Vampiric Eye to overtake a safe portion of your brain in return for lifesight, Comprehend another facet of the Alien Intelligence inhabiting your mind without going insane in exchange for the secret to antigravity. Safety clause in italics.

Basically, the symbiote system works exactly like that last example above. The safety clause only comes into play when you're levelling up, and it ablates the demands of the symbiote. In effect, levelling up gives you a bunch of narrative money to spend on your Symbiote's boons.
Comprehend another facet of the Alien Intelligence inhabiting your mind in exchange for the secret to antigravity. In return, the Alien Intelligence inflicts you with Megalomania.
Acquire a narrative unit of the Symbiote in exchange for an appropriate boon. In return, the Symbiote gets its way.
→→

The relationship is composed of some basic unit: Syllables of Enochian, Clauses in your Demonic Pact, Limbs overtaken by an Alien Parasite, Passages of the Necronomicon comprehended, Stages of a Mutagenic Infection, Terrible Secrets shared with a Dead God, Souls Drunk by your Cursed Sword, Refinements in your Internal Alchemy, I could go on forever!

When designing the symbiote, define the nature of the unit of relationship ie. What it wants from you, and define the nature of what it can provide you in return for these units of relationship ie. What it can give you in return. Power is contingent on the exchange of units of narrative economy.

Examples: Elric of Melniboné and Stormbringer, Eddie Brock and Venom, The Hulk and his Anger, the main character from Kung Fu Hustle and his Destiny To Become The Greatest Martial Artist Who Ever Lived.

The system could even do something like The Human Torch so long as:
• His power can grow and change.
• His power can influence what he is or does against his will.

Threatened his morality
Threatened his agency
Threatened his body

Here's a diagram I tossed up in Paint:

Good outcomes = Boons
Bad outcomes = Threats

The symbiote wants to influence What You Do and What You Are. You want the Symbiote to influence What You Are and What You're Capable Of. It may influence some or all of these things and it can influence them permanently or temporarily. Influence from your Symbiote may come in the form of a Threat or a Boon, and it may be Minor, Modest, or Major. Sacrifice is a means of inviting a Threat upon yourself in exchange for equivalent narrative economy ie. Minor = 1, etc. Temporary Boons are worth one rank less than their permanent counterparts. eg. A permanent Modest Sacrifice can buy a permanent Modest Boon or a temporary Major Boon.
Narrative economy gained via temporary sacrifices may never be exchanged for permanent boons.

There might be a level beyond Major which encompasses temporary boons resulting from permanent Major sacrifices. Characters will start out with a few permanent Minor Boons.

Eg. From Vampire: The Requiem:
• Temporary influence over What You Do: Frenzy
• Permanent influence over What You Do: Derangements
• Temporary influence over What You Are: (I failed to come up with an idea for this, but I figured out why later on)
• Permanent influence over What You Are: Acquiring a bloodline.
• Temporary influence over What You're Capable Of: Activating Vigor, Fortitude or Celerity.
• Permanent influence over What You're Capable Of: Learning a new Discipline.

Temporary Narrative Units: Vitae
Permanent Narrative Units: Blood Potency
(Basically, temporary units = fuel and permanent units = components. Narrative Fuel buys you influence, and Narrative Components, which enable you to influence new things in different ways.)

I've realised "What You Are" is really just permanent, deeper-seated influence over "What You Do" and "What You're Capable Of". "What You Do" and "What You're Capable Of" represent your capability in regards to doing what you don't want to do (what you're made to do by the Symbiote) and doing what you want to do (with the Symbiote's power or otherwise.).

Scraps:

You learn another syllable of the Enochian Language which enables you to work Fire's true name into your sentences. As a result, you can no longer speak of fire or any of its associated qualities in any other language.

You expand your knowledge of the grammar of the Enochian Language which enables you to speak compound words, fusing instances of both words together. As a result, you can no longer comprehend the concept of "and".

Edit:

My rationale for "What You Are" and permanency is that "What You Are" doesn't matter unless it's being engaged. If it's only engaged for a short time you can easily represent it with one of the other two things.

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 12, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I was about to buy the print+PDF bundle over on IPR, and the store page said there were 690-ish available, but when I added to cart and went to check out, I was told it was a pre-order. I thought physical copies were released ages ago?

And whatever happened to being able to order off Amazon? (hopefully with Prime shipping so it doesn't cost me half again the cover price of the book)

Is there any decent way to get a print copy of Dungeon World at the moment?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bigup DJ posted:

Hey everyone, I've just joined a game and I'm new to Dungeon World as of yesterday. I saw this compendium class and I really like it so I tried writing up the beginning of a playbook. It got pretty complicated and I've only had a couple of hours to write it up because I'm about to travel, but here it is! Tell me what you think:

:stare:

That's not a playbook, that's a bunch of thoughts spilled on a page. You've certainly got some ideas, but you need to apply them to actually design a class.

Also, not really sure what Enochian grammar has to do with a symbiotic parasite.

jivjov posted:

So I was about to buy the print+PDF bundle over on IPR, and the store page said there were 690-ish available, but when I added to cart and went to check out, I was told it was a pre-order. I thought physical copies were released ages ago?

And whatever happened to being able to order off Amazon? (hopefully with Prime shipping so it doesn't cost me half again the cover price of the book)

Is there any decent way to get a print copy of Dungeon World at the moment?

They ran out of the first printing.

The second printing is being worked on and should be available eventually.

e; vvv no idea.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 12, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So if they're out of books...where are those 690 copies that IPR claims to have available? And will the second printing be available on Amazon?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:stare:

That's not a playbook, that's a bunch of thoughts spilled on a page. You've certainly got some ideas, but you need to apply them to actually design a class.

Also, not really sure what Enochian grammar has to do with a symbiotic parasite.

Also, if that's how the playbook looks, it seems extremely complex and demands a lot from a player. More than even something like D&D 3.x. The meat and heart of a DW playbook is in its moves - you've clearly done a lot of thought on how it's supposed to tie together conceptually, but it's more important to define some explicit things that the class does and the fiction surrounding those moves.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

BRB converting Eoris to Dungeon World.

Edit: each playbook will be approximately 3 Eoris character sheets.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

InfiniteJesters posted:

So after reading some of the latest updates in F&F I want to run Tomb of Horrors in Dungeon World just to see what it would be like.

(And also to see if my friends would ever speak to me again). :v:

Take along a Thief and a Ranger with an animal companion trained to search, and you could probably chump the place. Dungeon World is a lot friendlier about providing information to PCs who ask the right questions.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I’ve been trying to figure out a comfortable way to set up DW campaigns. You don’t plan the story ahead of time like you do with other systems – but at the same, the common logic of “don’t plan at all” can paralyse a game if your players aren’t doing enough to spur the plot momentum themselves.

Yes, once you have established your dangers and your fronts then you can rely on those, but as for creating new ones when old ones are resolved, it’s not always easy to think on the spot when players are looking at you.

The way I’ve started doing it is: rather than going in blind, I have a shortlist of things that I’d like to see in a game, but no notion of how they might be linked or what order they might come in. Monster types, locations, NPCs, artifacts, entire set pieces, and so on.
For instance, I could start GMing a game with the following list:

- Heroes have to capture a live giant for some reason
- Heroes board and capture an airship
- Heroes follow a light in the forest, only to be tricked by shapeshifting faeries or something
- Heroes descend into the underworld to rescue a companion, and must treat with the king of the dead for their soul
- Heroes uncover the ruins of a technologically advanced civilisation and must figure out what this weird wand does
- Heroes meet themselves from the future, have some adventures, then later meet themselves from the past and have those same adventures

Whatever. They’re like little mini premade adventures, in the sense that the ideas are on paper and I can apply them as written, but the place where they slot into the campaign is flexible. I still go through the usual setup of asking questions and leaving blanks, but where I see a gap for some cool set piece I'm more than happy to drop one of those in ("Oh, the location of the ruins is lost to us? The frost giants know these mountains well, you'll have to capture one alive to show you the way"), and then gently caress with it as necessary if the players want to flesh that out more. A good DW campaign is pretty much self-sustaining, in that these ideas from outside shouldn't need to be too relevant, but I like knowing that there's something cool coming up that people will hopefully really enjoy.

I guess this amounts to not much more than: Have a backup list of cool places to go when you’re GMing, which is pretty general advice that doesn’t seem particularly insightful. But this kind of disorganised approach applies really well to the DW system, where the players do half the work for you, and you’re free to slot your own ideas into theirs and it doesn’t really matter how well it fits.

Aside: I’ve recently found that fighting hordes of enemies isn’t that exciting for my players, since killing a pirate on a ship with N number of pirates doesn’t have much of a sense of accomplishment to it. Instead, the more fun fights tend to be the big set-pieces against unique, powerful enemies, if there are fights at all – “board and capture an airship” can be a cool set piece, but the focus should be on “dodge musket shots while ziplining onto the deck” and “disable the engine room” rather than “kill X number of pirates”.

When I wasn’t as comfortable GMing I pretty much just threw enemies at my players, but DW really doesn’t lend itself to that kind of tactical party-on-party combat with a bunch of bad guys phasing in and out of relevance. The more interesting fights are against a huge manticore, or a pair of guardian golems, or a devious wizard, or a dryad that controls the forest around them. Having a bunch of one-off, unique interesting fights keeps the combat from getting stale (which I found to be a problem after a few standard fights) and lend themselves to much better stories afterward.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jivjov posted:

So if they're out of books...where are those 690 copies that IPR claims to have available? And will the second printing be available on Amazon?

The 690 copies ARE the second printing.

And I want one, but IPR support haven't been back in touch yet...

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

For all the coolness of player input, Dungeon World does work just fine as a normal campaign structure with a lot of the setting/framework already set up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

For all the coolness of player input, Dungeon World does work just fine as a normal campaign structure with a lot of the setting/framework already set up.

Sort of.

If you're using an established setting, you either have to let players make stuff up anyway or your players have to be experts on the setting so that you never have to go "no, sorry Gary, it's a well-known fact that King Mildred rules Balululand, and he uses an axe, not a sword."

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Inverse World Trip Report!

Our regular monthly Pathfinder game was a few too many players short this evening, so instead our pathfinder GM asked if the others wanted to play Dungeon World instead. I was happy to GM, and asked if they wanted to play our regular DW game, or try something different. They were happy to try something different as a one-shot, so we looked through the Inverse World playbooks and a few others.

While I hunted down the Inverse World introductory text, the players created a Survivor named Roland, a Mechanic named Kellor, and a Treekin Giant named Eric.

The Players set bonds, and I read the Inverse World Blurb and got to asking questions.

The Treekin Giants were very rare, mostly only heard of as servants of nature in history, The Mechanic had a patchwork suit cobbled together from bits of ancient technology and his own inventions and the Survivor's island had turned on itself, society devolving into chaos.

I asked they group "You're all running away from some very angry villagers. What did you do to make them so angry?" The Mechanic was responsible for selling his dangerous and faulty inventions to the villagers, the survivor reminded them of something terrible, and the giant accidentally broke their sacred monument.

After a perilous run through a crevasse with rockfalls, the trio managed to hijack a skyship and escape the island, leaving the ship's captain and most of the crew behind. After some discussion, the trio bribed the 3 remaining crew with wealth and a magical item take them to Irongate, a nearby Island City.

Along the way, in the shadow of an island far below and through thick mists, sky pirates attacked from above, and were swiftly slaughtered by the Trio. After some further discussion, the plan to go to Irongate was abandoned, in favor of interrogating the location of the pirate's hideout from some surviving attackers, so the Trio could loot the pirate treasure, and perhaps steal a ship for themselves!

They gained some information about the hideout, that it was in an island that had 'flipped' centuries ago, plunging the forest into darkness and killing it, and dropping the town and it's citizens down into Sola. There was a narrow cave on the underside that lead to a cavern where the pirates had their own little town. The also were told that the pirate captain was both less and more than human.

The Trio hatched a plan for Eric the treekin to magically grow a path of trees on the underside of the island to make a walkway so they could sneak in, and the made it with a few close calls. During the infiltration of the cavern, the Survivor was doused in flammable alcohol, the Mechanic showed a proficiency for sneaking and starting fires, and the treekin a habit of jumping into the town center, and sending his carnivorous ambulatory luggage after terrified pirates. The rum-soaked Survivor was set on fire. a lot. And then had a building dropped on him. And then hit by a giant water barrell. A lot of this was thanks to the Mechanic.

After setting the town of fire, the Trio had sufficient distraction to find the Captain's manor and break in. Breaking in consisted of the Treekin smashing the door and most of the doorway into oblivion. As Eric entered, I described that the door and the furniture inside seemed too big for a normal person - and it turned out the Pirate Captain was a giant stone Jaguar Golem, that cold-cocked the treekin in the back of it's trunk.

A brutal fight broke out, and was finished after some savage blows when all three of the Trio hit the Jaguar at once, obliterating it and taking damage when exploded.

They then found the secret entrance to the Captain's Stash, navigated a few traps, and made off with an impressive haul.

They escaped the burning town and stole the largest, finest ship, rendezvoused with the sailors and the other ship, gave them some treasure and a sapling from the Treekin, and went to IronGate to get some answers about the strange artifacts they found in the Captain's treasure.

They now have an adventure to steal some sacred books, buy the help of a famous bard, and get a disgraced Lantern to help them bring Tree Life to the worldcrust.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Sort of.

If you're using an established setting, you either have to let players make stuff up anyway or your players have to be experts on the setting so that you never have to go "no, sorry Gary, it's a well-known fact that King Mildred rules Balululand, and he uses an axe, not a sword."

I'm not talking about stuff like that, I just mean the more broad setting facts/information set in stone. If you ran DW with a setting like Eberron it would work just fine to say "These are the established dragonmarks, these are what they do" for instance.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
My group is starting up a new game with the theme "wizard school." They want to take it in an all magic user direction, so I was wondering if you guys had some classbook suggestions that would fit that theme.

So far I know I'll offer the mage, witch, spellslinger, and druid (to fill the animagus role). Any others I should throw in? I'm going through classbooks looking, but I'm might have missed some.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Overemotional Robot posted:

My group is starting up a new game with the theme "wizard school." They want to take it in an all magic user direction, so I was wondering if you guys had some classbook suggestions that would fit that theme.

So far I know I'll offer the mage, witch, spellslinger, and druid (to fill the animagus role). Any others I should throw in? I'm going through classbooks looking, but I'm might have missed some.

I've actually been working on a potential game with EXACTLY this concept. I've also had the wizard/cleric (for people who like spell lists), the priest, the Artificer (enchanters, their gadgets are described as arcane). Bards are an option, too- improved or vanilla- since their songs are described as having primarily magical effect.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Oh, I hadn't thought of those! Another good one I found would be the fae, as it's a pretty lighthearted class.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Thematically, the Namer and the Augur would fit. And the Charlatan could make for an awesome story about a kid who faked his way into Wizard School.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Haha, I was just reading over the Namer! It definitely does fit and I would have never thought of the Charlatan. That would make for an awesome story. I think the Inverse World Collector and Skydancer works pretty well, too.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.
The Mage class has quite a few foci that could definitely be considered schools or houses of magic.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
If you're after odd magical dudes, I'm re-making my Alchemist and Necromancer classes, should be released along with the final version of my Brute in a few days!

The Supreme Court posted:

Finally got around to updating my scribbles on an Alchemist class, aimed at just being crazy fun. The core idea is that you pre-make a bunch of versatile potions by picking from a huge list of tags, then everything explodes the Alchemist uses the potions in inventive ways. The tags deliberately don't have mechanical translations (e.g. +1 damage) and the class relies a fair bit on just running with it; I'm not sure it's quite proscriptive enough though.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

The summoner and the cultist true friend would work, and you could probably also make a decent case for the artificer if the collector counts.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

If you're after odd magical dudes, I'm re-making my Alchemist and Necromancer classes, should be released along with the final version of my Brute in a few days!

Oh man, I want that Alchemist so bad and have cash to throw at you when you put it up. Also, yes, the True Friend would be great too. There are so many choices for wizard school!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Yesss this is sick news

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Well, my players were chomping at the bit so hard to play "wizard school that is not Harry Potter but really is" that we got a session together a couple of hours ago. It went really, really well, and I think that a lot of these classes fit well into that theme. If you have players that are psyched for the theme then they will take it to some crazy places. The only thing I created was a list of names and the general theme, everything else came from me just asking questions. I figured I'd do a little write up if people were interested, and I'd love to see some write ups of the other wizard school campaigns.

Cast:

Morthos Darkweave (The Witch): A human wizard who is really interested in, and has a knack for, potion making.

Ziggy Zeref (The Fool): A human wizard who just transferred to the Maltheatus Secondary School for the Magically Gifted. He's pretty clumsy but he has a lot of heart.

Bramble Peppernest (The Fae): Fair and super beautiful, he flits around spreading tricks and merriment. He also steals children from their beds and takes them to the fae realm :stare:

Zinj Wyatt (The Spellslinger): A very prim and proper student who is actually older than the others. He's a prefect and he's always trying to keep them out of trouble.

The Maltheatus Secondary School for the Magically Gifted is a place where promising wizards go to learn amazing magics. Well, sort of. It would be but they cut funding and now it's like the ITT Tech of wizarding schools. There are a wide range of creatures and beings who call the school their home. According to one player it's like "the Starfleet Academy of wizard schools if Starfleet was Phoenix Online University."

There are four houses at Maltheatus:

- House Frogswoller

- House Wolftalon

- House Wyvernwood

- House Ravenclawrock

To give incentive to follow the rules of the school we all came up with a system of "hold", known as Prestige, that basically works like house points. Basically they get +1 or -1 prestige for doing, or not doing, all kinds of things. This could include getting caught after curfew, getting into magic battles in the halls, that sort of thing. They can spend prestige 1 for 1 on a list of boons. Because this was the first session and they caught me off guard, we only got two down:

- Find your way out of trouble with an authority figure

- When in a spot, you miraculously see a way out

They're not the best, but then we didn't have a whole lot of time to work on them. This is what I'll be doing until the next session.

The crew has been hanging here for a while now, and it's after their classes on this day that Malfium McCoy (or "totally not Malfoy" as he's otherwise known) steals Zeref's (The Fool) puzzle box. It means a lot to him because it's the only thing he has left of his previous life before he was stolen away by a mischievous fae. Hint hint. The crew, led by Wyatt the prefect, is chasing McCoy through the sub, sub, sub levels of the school - the level seven basement catacombs. They come to a room where they see McCoy duck through, but Wyatt notices the room has "warping doors." The group hesitantly approaches the door and opens it - only to see a brick wall. Darkweave takes a dispel potion and dispels the magic, but there's an unintended consequence - now there are doors on every inch of every wall. The dispeled door opens up into a brightly lit room unlike the ones they've passed through before. Wyatt notices this as the fabled "room of forgotten things," a kind of legend around the school. You know those car keys you lost and you could swear they were right here when you saw them last? Yeah, this is the room they go to. When you remember where they're at, they disappear from this room. Things are constantly appearing and disappearing. As they look through the pile of stuff a cat jumps free. Darkweave notices it as another student's cat and picks it up. Wyatt searches the room and finds the Hatpin of Forgotten Things while the others rush through another door and see McCoy. Right before McCoy can escape Darkweave nails him with a slow potion and the group catch up to him in the next room. Peppernest scolds him in the cutest way possible for the theft, then curses his fists to remain closed until he "learns his lesson" :stare:

There are some threats thrown around from McCoy, the prefect, and the other students, until Darkweave notices that the cat is nowhere to be found. There is a loud growling noise from the next room and everybody stares in shock at the door which stands ajar on the far side. Of course Zeref (The Fool) immediately goes towards the door, opens it, sees a gigantic cat paw coming for him, and closes the door as it smashes into his face and sends him sprawling across the room covered in splinters. Darkweave nails the cat's eye with another slow potion as Peppernest turns its paw to stone. The cat goes all derpy and starts drooling, totally incapacitated. As they despel the cat and check the room they find tons of very sophisticated potions equipment and a spilled potion on the floor. Zeref immediately puts it in his mouth to check it. It tastes like chocolate covered strawberries. His tongue swells and he's unable to talk, so the group cuts their loses, takes a sample of the potion, and leaves the dungeon as the bells ring for curfew.

I'll write up the rest in a bit.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 14, 2013

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Overemotional Robot posted:

Well, my players were chomping at the bit so hard to play "wizard school that is not Harry Potter but really is" that we got a session together a couple of hours ago. It went really, really well, and I think that a lot of these classes fit well into that theme. If you have players that are psyched for the theme then they will take it to some crazy places. The only thing I created was a list of names and the general theme, everything else came from me just asking questions. I figured I'd do a little write up if people were interested, and I'd love to see some write ups of the other wizard school campaigns.

Cast:

Morthos Darkweave (The Witch): A human wizard who is really interested in, and has a knack for, potion making.

Ziggy Zeref (The Fool): A human wizard who just transferred to the Maltheatus Secondary School for the Magically Gifted. He's pretty clumsy put he has a lot of heart.

Bramble Peppernest (The Fae): Fair and super beautiful, he flits around spreading tricks and merriment. He also steals children from their beds and takes them to the fae realm :stare:

Zinj Wyatt (The Spellslinger): A very prim and proper student who is actually older than the others. He's a prefect and he's always trying to keep them out of trouble.

I'll write up the rest in a bit.

This is awesome and I can't wait to hear more of their adventures! I really love how dungeon world leaves the group enough space to really make the tone of their game their own.

Peppernest is awesome :stare:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

madadric posted:

This is awesome and I can't wait to hear more of their adventures! I really love how dungeon world leaves the group enough space to really make the tone of their game their own.

This was entirely amazing to me. I've always tried to do it for games I GM, but in a system where it's my job to make the world, it can be jarring or frustrating trying to take alihter or heavier tone than I'd intended. I hosed part of that up in our first game (Slave Pits), trying to be more serious in tone that the group really wanted, but I think I sorted it out towards the end.

For our second game, I left it pretty much up to the players, because I brought almost nothing to the table to see what would happen. I guess I didn't really trust the "no prep" thing, but I was totally prepared to see where it would go. It was good to an extent that I didn't think would be possible.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 14, 2013

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
Ssso. Just finished the third session of Wild West Dungeon World, and people are getting into the swing of it. Our automaton gunslinger got into a pistols-at-high-noon deal against the leader of the bandits they'd been antagonizing, Black Hat Pete, surrounded by his cronies. The bandit leader had a gun full of time-stopping bullets, the automaton had one, which he'd looted from the guy's office.

Right before they draw, the Druid, whose affiliated with the plains, talks to all the horses and tells them there's a bunch of sand worms approaching, sending them into a panic. The automaton gets a 10 on his quickdraw, and is treated to single moment of the bandit's completely flabbergasted face because someone else was using timestop rounds. He uses that moment of astonishment to open up the other five rounds into the leader, felling him while everything else falls into complete chaos around him- horses are panicked, the druid becomes an eagle and starts attacking the people on the roofs, the artificer spins around and unloads a railgun into the guys behind them, and the only survivors run the hell away.

They get out with the hearty thanks of the town they just saved, a small heap of cash from the bandits' bodies, and the leader's personal affects- 3 ammo worth of timestop rounds, a large black horse, and a pair of overly-ornamented black revolvers.

Handgun Phonics fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 14, 2013

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Boing posted:

Also, if that's how the playbook looks, it seems extremely complex and demands a lot from a player. More than even something like D&D 3.x. The meat and heart of a DW playbook is in its moves - you've clearly done a lot of thought on how it's supposed to tie together conceptually, but it's more important to define some explicit things that the class does and the fiction surrounding those moves.

Thanks for the feedback! Looking back on it that was a pretty embarrassing post, mainly because I'm not really familiar with Dungeon World's mechanics. There's two things I wanted to do with the concept - I wanted to represent a source of power which could be bargained with, and I wanted to represent a source of power which doubled as an NPC with an intimate connection to one of the PCs. The concept seems a bit too broad to function as a playbook and I think that's why the original version, The Symbiont, was a compendium class. I don't think it's meant to work as a specific kind of power, but as an exploration of a very specific aspect of power.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bigup DJ posted:

Thanks for the feedback! Looking back on it that was a pretty embarrassing post, mainly because I'm not really familiar with Dungeon World's mechanics. There's two things I wanted to do with the concept - I wanted to represent a source of power which could be bargained with, and I wanted to represent a source of power which doubled as an NPC with an intimate connection to one of the PCs. The concept seems a bit too broad to function as a playbook and I think that's why the original version, The Symbiont, was a compendium class. I don't think it's meant to work as a specific kind of power, but as an exploration of a very specific aspect of power.

A playbook looks like this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_WDEG1VXRy-ANeIypMTRZo4NacbW7whjf0uDW4Qe_eU/edit

I would highly recommend you re-read the section on how moves work (pp. 16-17), then read the Advanced Delving chapter (p. 343 onwards), to get a basic understanding of moves in Dungeon World. Then, read the following three posts for a list of things you want to do while writing a base class:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540201&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post414188625
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540201&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post414189244
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540201&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post414190247

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

madadric posted:

It was a really fun session and completely off the wall. The players created EVERYTHING - all the lore, all the rules for the school, all the classes. I basically did nothing but pull from my list of names and ask questions. The only downside is that we don't seem to have any fronts yet because they don't seem super interesting in following up on that potion they found. I know fronts keep going even if the players don't interject, but I have a hard time pushing stuff in that they aren't interested in in any way.

I do know that McCoy will want revenge, though! Well, he would if the Potions student hadn't given him a "forget-me-now" potion. Brewing up rohypnol, great!

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
So I've had a tenative go at writing a new class on Dungeon World, based in part on the Lord class from fire emblem, working well with hirelings.

As a close to first draft, It's likely pretty far from being and is missing 3 6-10 moves, but I am still looking for criticism and such nontheless. I originally had it in mind of being a cha/dex character, but admittedly the dex aspect is kind of lacking. I will most likely make changes based on you guys think needs to be done.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
My players' apparently have cursed damage dice. We've had quite a few attacks by this point that roll 10+ or even 12+ for Hack and Slash/Volley, only to deal 1-2 damage. This always feels... immensely unsatisfying, so I was wondering if there's a good rule of thumb for dealing with this?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
One of my players got smacked for max damage on two successive damage rolls, suffering 14 damage. Sometimes bad luck just seems to happen. I suggest just rolling with it, and they'll get good rolls eventually.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
There's just something weird about "you hit them dead-center" then "oh and it does 1 point of damage, despite their completely bare skin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Handgun Phonics posted:

There's just something weird about "you hit them dead-center" then "oh and it does 1 point of damage, despite their completely bare skin"

I think in the spirit of proper DW GMing, you roll that over-success into some sort of positive positioning result for another character. Maybe your attack was really just a feint and the next player to attack them could +1 Forward, knock them off balance, etc.