Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hellz yes, you should buy it!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just gt off the phone with the dealer, he's going to take a bunch of new pictures for me. If all looks good I'm gonna throw a deposit on it and go check it out Wednesday.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

Just gt off the phone with the dealer, he's going to take a bunch of new pictures for me. If all looks good I'm gonna throw a deposit on it and go check it out Wednesday.

You crazy man

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

You crazy man

Hey, it's what I know man. Plus I figure after I swap everything out I can probably sell it down the line for a nominal loss.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It figures that the check engine light would come on right after I post this.

Stupid cars.
Turned out not to be anything major: some sort of seal issue around the gas cap making a vapor lock or something like that.

Got the battery replaced while I had it in. I figure 6+ years is a pretty good run for a battery. It was starting a bit slower, and I guess it's better to take care of it rather than wait for it to completely die at the most inopportune moment.

Back to loving my Mazda 3! :3:

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Got some new Yokohama YK580s on my car. Great feel to them. Also, in the last 2 weeks, I've picked up a Cobb AP and Cobb TIH. Next week getting HPFP and hopefully the CP-E Stage 2 RMM. After that, race pipe. Then, I may be done. Hope to dyno at 300 after that. If not, may go full turbo back exhaust from ultimate racing. I really like the tips.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

hunter x az posted:

Got some new Yokohama YK580s on my car. Great feel to them. Also, in the last 2 weeks, I've picked up a Cobb AP and Cobb TIH. Next week getting HPFP and hopefully the CP-E Stage 2 RMM. After that, race pipe. Then, I may be done. Hope to dyno at 300 after that. If not, may go full turbo back exhaust from ultimate racing. I really like the tips.

Did you see that Rally Sport in Draper had the AP's on sale? Plus you could have gotten 10% off last week from their Independence Day sale making it less than $500. I was tempted...more so since my drat EGR pulled my CEL again. I just want to delete that code from my car completely.

tayLOVE
Jan 23, 2007
Thinking about switching from my forester XT to a 1st-gen MS3...while I know a bit about Subaru quirks, Mazdas are a whole new game for me. Is there a particular year of the first generation that is held in higher regard? What kind of things does one need to look out for when scouring craigslist? Seems most of the local cars have been owned by some young kid, but presumably, given the right care, these cars are pretty reliable...right? Thanks!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

tayLOVE posted:

Thinking about switching from my forester XT to a 1st-gen MS3...while I know a bit about Subaru quirks, Mazdas are a whole new game for me. Is there a particular year of the first generation that is held in higher regard? What kind of things does one need to look out for when scouring craigslist? Seems most of the local cars have been owned by some young kid, but presumably, given the right care, these cars are pretty reliable...right? Thanks!

At this point, probably making sure they've upgraded the HPFP and kept up with TSB's (smoking turbos, VVT etc).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

air- posted:

At this point, probably making sure they've upgraded the HPFP and kept up with TSB's (smoking turbos, VVT etc).

What's wrong with the factory HPFP if the car is stock?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

MetaJew posted:

What's wrong with the factory HPFP if the car is stock?

Nothing, but I'm not even sure if are there even any stock Gen1's out there? I do eyeball used listings to see what people fetch and locally I have yet to see one. I imagine a stock one's pretty tough to find.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tayLOVE posted:

2008.5 or 2009 GT trim is the best.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Did you see that Rally Sport in Draper had the AP's on sale? Plus you could have gotten 10% off last week from their Independence Day sale making it less than $500. I was tempted...more so since my drat EGR pulled my CEL again. I just want to delete that code from my car completely.

I got my AP from RSD when it was on sale, it was 535$. I've been trying to pick up the HPFP and RMM for weeks, but they sell out so quickly. I have them now held for me at will-call, so I'm guaranteed one of each when they get their next shipment!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CharlesM posted:

Do any of you hatch owners have a dog barrier installed?
I like the look of this one, but the shipping is more than the product. :(
http://www.amazon.com/TRAVALL-TDG1241-GUARD-BARRIER-2004-2009/dp/B0040QALJA

I went ahead and got this since the price / shipping went down, and I'm driving around a bit with my doggy lately. I like it, it keeps my dog from fidgeting around in the seat and keeps him safe without having to get his seatbelt harness on.

It obviously wouldn't work for a super huge doggy as the hatch isn't that big, but it's great for me.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

A good dog.
A good car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I agree, I love both!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

So my brake rotor finally came off

After much attention with a sledge

And a puller

And it didn't come off in one piece.

You bet your rear end I anti-seized that new poo poo.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
haha, those can really get stuck on there, man. what'd you replace it with?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ATE premium rotors. Waaaaaaay better already.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Cool, man. How much and where did you pick them up from?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not buying that $7300 MS6 is going to loving haunt me for months.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Not buying that $7300 MS6 is going to loving haunt me for months.

That's a little over half of what I spent on mine six months ago. Was it really in such awful shape?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Revvik posted:

That's a little over half of what I spent on mine six months ago. Was it really in such awful shape?

It appeared to be in excellent shape. One owner, clear Carfax. It was just high mileage.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Has anyone done the Accessport "flash" on a stock MS3? I am looking at MSF boards and the results seem to vary.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

It appears that the alternator on my wife's '05 6i poo poo the bed today leaving her stranded at the mall. I suppose the silver lining was that it died in the parking lot rather than the freeway during rush hour traffic. It's the first major mechanical failure (or failure of any sort). It has 108K miles, she's owned it since like ~25k miles. Hopefully it's something I can just swap out in a parking lot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How do you figure an alternator failure and not just a dead battery?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

From what she desribed. Battery is relatively new and hasn't shown any signs of weakness or failure. She started the car 'and it sounded really funny and there is this red light on with a plus sign and a minus sign' when she started driving. All signs point to alternator, so I'm looking forward to a parking lot swap after work today and get an AI merit badge of badassery. Cell phone pics with middle finger extended will be posted.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ah, yeah, that'd do it. In my mind "stranded in a mall parking lot" usually means it wouldn't crank.

Is yours the crazy little clutched design? I looked up the replacement for my MS3 in case I ever needed to do it (never did) and holy hell it was expensive.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I'm not sure what the design is. It is a spendy little bastard for a reman'd unit! They have one for a ATX and manual trans. My wife has the auto so I just bought that one before I went in to work. Haven't taken it out of the box yet. It was $160 at Oreilly PLUS a $62 core charge! Since we just bought a house I found it a lovely excuse to buy a jack and some stands to outfit my new garage. I'm pretty sure since its the standard 2.3 and not the DISI it's a different alternator.

SiB
May 6, 2005
6 phase alternators.

If its non-speed the electric power steering causes bad poo poo to happen when the battery is weak as I'm sure all of you know.

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

Hit an Apex posted:

Has anyone done the Accessport "flash" on a stock MS3? I am looking at MSF boards and the results seem to vary.

Me, yes, and you should buy one.
(what conflicting information is this, msf 100% right as long as you stay away from random idiot asking question threads)

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004
As a side note, the ~$800 I kinda want to spend on HDFP internals, intake, and downpipe are haunting me and I won't have the money for it for a few months :mad:

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

What's the story with people blowing rods in the past? Fully bolted and going WOT before 3k or what?

I considered doing HPFP and AccessPort, but if I'm in danger of throwing rod should I get on it too hard too early..

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

SynMoo posted:

What's the story with people blowing rods in the past? Fully bolted and going WOT before 3k or what?

I considered doing HPFP and AccessPort, but if I'm in danger of throwing rod should I get on it too hard too early..

I've got both and you don't make much/any power before 3k anyway. If you properly downshift, you'll have plenty of power at all times. I've been running mine for over a year now with no issues - save for a smoking turbo but that went away with the PCV fix.

Also - my intake bracket broke as I mentioned earlier. Would it be wise to get an airbox like Cobb's or whatever to stabilize it so it doesn't shake my MAF to death? Right now I just have it zip tied to the original airbox ...hole below the intake.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

That's one of the most beautiful things about a turbocharged car, including ours. Gobs and gobs of usable torque down low.

I recognize that if I want to go as fast as possible from almost whatever cruising speed I should downshift, but I'm not a fan of setting my car up in such a way that cylinder pressure could become unsafe if I decided to give it the beans at 2500rpm. That's what I'm trying to determine.

I'm used to the world of VW chip tuning. You flash the ECU, set it and forget it. That doesn't really seem to be the case here and I just want to know what I'd be getting myself in to.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
**I am no affiliated with Edge Autosport or any other company car related I just think it's a good deal**

For anyone interested in Koni yellows, they're on sale now with EdgeAutosport. http://www.edgeautosport.com/koni-sport-yellow-shock-front-left-mazdaspeed-3/

Since they're practically half-off, I'm tempted to get a set since I'm at 76k already and counting. My question is are they a harsher ride than stock is?

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

SynMoo posted:

That's one of the most beautiful things about a turbocharged car, including ours. Gobs and gobs of usable torque down low.

I recognize that if I want to go as fast as possible from almost whatever cruising speed I should downshift, but I'm not a fan of setting my car up in such a way that cylinder pressure could become unsafe if I decided to give it the beans at 2500rpm. That's what I'm trying to determine.

I'm used to the world of VW chip tuning. You flash the ECU, set it and forget it. That doesn't really seem to be the case here and I just want to know what I'd be getting myself in to.

The general consensus is just drive in the powerband and don't WOT under 3k in 6th and you don't really run any risk, regardless of mod state.
Even then, no WOT in highest gear is just a general turbo platform rule that I haven't actually seen any evidence of modern turbo cars having a problem with.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I just love the fact that once I'm at highway speeds, I can leave it in sixth and still have plenty of power for casual to moderate passing, even without going WOT.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wish I had a sixth gear! Also, my car is loud as hell at 60 and above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Back side of my car feels extra floaty and I also picked up the Koni yellows. First suspension mod for me!