Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This otherwise good essay about racism is almost ruined by this jarring moment of probable STDH in the middle.

quote:

A minute later and the five of us are outside: myself, my date–who just wants to go home and is cowering behind me–Burly, and two of his friends. “Okay you stupid loving friend of the family” he shouts, “what are you going to do now? There are three of us, and one of you.”

“This is easy” I say, pointing at his friends. “I can either beat all three of you up, or I can just beat HIM up. You two are free to go.”

His friends–who’ve clearly been pressed into “take-care-of-our-drunk-loudmouth-friend” service before–apply the better part of valor, and leave. While I’m taking off my coat, Burly throws a haymaker in my direction. My martial arts training kicks in; thirty seconds later and I’m sitting on his back, his wrist–agonizingly twisted the wrong way–in one hand, and a fistful of ginger hair in the other. He’s spitting venomous epithets at me when it occurs to me that, should a police officer wander upon the scene, I’m likely going to jail, despite not being the aggressor. I end the fight and leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

On the bingo card, I believe we already have "martial arts," but we should have a bonus square for the phrase, "My martial arts training kicks in."

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

In Tumblr world, everyone knows every line in every musical ever made.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I honestly think tumblr is like 94% comprised of high school theater kids. You know the type.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh I know the type. I was a theater kid so I know it well. I was never this bad, but the type were my friends.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
So he hates Les Mis, yet can identify a song from it given only 2 lines?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

"This is entirely plausible" -STDH thread

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How do you accidentally sing something? Is it caused by some kind of musical movie tourettes?

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

CJacobs posted:

How do you accidentally sing something? Is it caused by some kind of musical movie tourettes?

I don't know but like someone else said, loving theater kids. I went to a school that focused heavily on performing arts and half the students had that kind of tourettes. Freshman year was the loving worst. The Rent movie came out and it was La Vie Boheme in the hallways for MONTHS. Some kid in math would start singing under their breath and you'd stare at them and they'd be all "OH I am SO sorry, I just can't help myself! By the way, that was from Repo. (Have you ever seen Repo?)" :saddowns:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Silly Hippie posted:

I don't know but like someone else said, loving theater kids. I went to a school that focused heavily on performing arts and half the students had that kind of tourettes. Freshman year was the loving worst. The Rent movie came out and it was La Vie Boheme in the hallways for MONTHS. Some kid in math would start singing under their breath and you'd stare at them and they'd be all "OH I am SO sorry, I just can't help myself! By the way, that was from Repo. (Have you ever seen Repo?)" :saddowns:

What's up, arts high school buddy? Mine had visual arts, English, dance, music, theater, culinary, and cosmetology "majors". We all pretty much mingled, except for the theater kids. They kept to themselves in a weird little inbred nest, drawing things from musicals on their jeans and talking about how our school was JUST like the school in "Fame".

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

article posted:

"One scene from a plane, as recalled by Ami Fitzgerald: When Tesca was not yet 2, she and her mother took a flight, each with her own laptop, unusual for a toddler in the 1990s. While Ami worked, Tesca played a simple interactive game, appearing to deftly use the computer as she sucked on her pacifier. Other passengers gaped.

At landing time, mother told daughter to shut down her computer, and she did. But Ami struggled to get hers off, even after she yanked out the battery pack. A flustered flight attendant insisted she shut it down.

From the back of the plane, a chorus of voices shouted: "Ask the baby." Fitzgerald passed the laptop to Tesca, who did, indeed, turn it off.

"The whole back of the plane erupted," Ami Fitzgerald says.

The program Tesca played was a Reader Rabbit game designed to teach 4- to 6-year-olds letters, sounds and words. Her parents assumed she was just enjoying the goofy graphics and punching random keys."

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2013/06/in_college_at_12_off_to_start.html

Maybe STDH? Maybe not? What's the verdict?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Absolutely STDH. Laptops in the 90s were HUGE and mind-bogglingly expensive as I recall. I really doubt a family had 2 unless they were super rich. And the thing that makes this really STDH is that ripping out the battery absolutely will turn off your computer (and possibly break it). It's just the same as pulling the plug out of your big boxy desktop computer.

Plus, how did she know how to remove a battery but not know how to press the power button, which she used to turn the computer on?

Oh yeah, and any story that ends with "and everyone clapped!" is proof that it didn't happen.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If anyone's read Old Man's War, there's an early scene where the main character shuts down the racist rantings of an old, farting Freeper-type by turning his bible knowledge against him until he angrily storms off. I immediately thought of this thread.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Wait, she yanked out the battery but it stayed on? What?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Absolutely STDH. Laptops in the 90s were HUGE and mind-bogglingly expensive as I recall.

They were kind of expensive but a middle class family could have easily afforded two, and they weren't really that much bigger than what we have now, not counting ultrabooks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From the above super smart kid thing:

quote:

One scene from a plane, as recalled by Ami Fitzgerald: When Tesca was not yet 2, she and her mother took a flight, each with her own laptop, unusual for a toddler in the 1990s. While Ami worked, Tesca played a simple interactive game, appearing to deftly use the computer as she sucked on her pacifier. Other passengers gaped.

At landing time, mother told daughter to shut down her computer, and she did. But Ami struggled to get hers off, even after she yanked out the battery pack. A flustered flight attendant insisted she shut it down.

From the back of the plane, a chorus of voices shouted: "Ask the baby." Fitzgerald passed the laptop to Tesca, who did, indeed, turn it off.

"The whole back of the plane erupted," Ami Fitzgerald says.

This part, specifically, pretty much definitely did not happen. This part pretty much screams "THIS is how much smarter our child was than normal people even at a young age!! Look at this prime example!!"

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

CJacobs posted:

This part, specifically, pretty much definitely did not happen. This part pretty much screams "THIS is how much smarter our child was than normal people even at a young age!! Look at this prime example!!"

I work with not-quite 2-year-olds. Not-quite two-year-old children, let's say 20 or 22-month-olds, don't generally have the physical capability to press keys and click mice/touchpads with the precision required to shut down a laptop. Even if their fingers could move that way, they don't give a poo poo! They want to play! They want mommy's attention! They aren't in the slightest going to listen to a set of instructions to press buttons in a certain order. We expect that from children aged 3+ at best. Children old enough to understand simple instructions. That is even after the plain "shut down" button has failed and the battery has been removed.

That person's child may be smart, but she is not that smart. The person who wrote this doesn't know what a two-year-old is like.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
According to The Oregonian newspaper, Tesca is starting her Ph.D. at the age of 16.

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2013/06/in_college_at_12_off_to_start.html

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007
"But super-bright Tayt was being bullied at school. Ultra-bright Tesca was so far off the charts no regular classroom would fit."

Goddamn that's some annoying writing.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

You name your kid "Tayt" and you're surprised when he gets picked on?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Tesca sounds like a gas station. Like they were driving by a Texaco and had sex, so she was conceived, and in memory of the conception they shortened it and added an a at the end.

True story.

Edit: and everyone in the gas station, as well as the hospital, stood up and cheered.

Edit 2: or it could sound like Testicle. Maybe Tes(ticular)Ca(ncer)? Oh my god guys I've just discovered it.

And all the goons stood up and cheered.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Jul 14, 2013

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Tesca sounds like a gas station. Like they were driving by a Texaco and had sex, so she was conceived, and in memory of the conception they shortened it and added an a at the end.

True story.

Edit: and everyone in the gas station, as well as the hospital, stood up and cheered.

Edit 2: or it could sound like Testicle. Maybe Tes(ticular)Ca(ncer)? Oh my god guys I've just discovered it.

And all the goons stood up and cheered.

Well, and there's also a chain store (sort of like less successful Walmart) in the UK called Tesco, which is what immediately popped into my head. "Oh honey you're so bright and special and wonderful that we named you after a supermarket chain where you can buy both baked beans and blank DVDs at the same time!"

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

Palisader posted:

Well, and there's also a chain store (sort of like less successful Walmart) in the UK called Tesco, which is what immediately popped into my head. "Oh honey you're so bright and special and wonderful that we named you after a supermarket chain where you can buy both baked beans and blank DVDs at the same time!"

Poor Asda never could compete with his sister.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Bad Roy posted:

Poor Asda never could compete with his sister.

That's probably why he's being picked on in school. And don't even ask about their half-brother, Sainsbury.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

Do "not-quite-2" year olds still suck on pacifiers, I genuinely have no idea

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Christopher Robin posted:

Do "not-quite-2" year olds still suck on pacifiers, I genuinely have no idea

I think I voluntarily gave up my pacifier at about two and a half. My sister held onto hers at least about the same, perhaps as late as three. And it'd actually be a good thing to give a kid on a plane because it would help keep their ears adjusted to the pressure changes as the plane ascends and descends. We might have been an abnormal sample though.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
My little guy turns two tomorrow and he still likes to have his "mimi" on car rides and when he's sleeping. And while he does do good working the see n say app on my iPhone, he's not really got the coordination to work my laptop. I doubt young Tesca did either.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

Marley Wants More posted:

According to The Oregonian newspaper, Tesca is starting her Ph.D. at the age of 16.

I've seen this happen two times IRL, both times because the parents worked for our state college system, which has a reduced fee program for tuition for either the worker or a relative, for about 2/3 off the normal price.

My mom used them to pay for "summer school" one summer at the local college, where I took an intro drawing class through their extension school, with senior citizens. Asking around is how she found out about the first story, where 2 kids were allowed to take discounted courses through their parent's benefits. They started at 12 but they were taking really easy stuff and I have no idea if they graduated. I don't think they did.

The other time, a guy I knew had a dad who was a math professor or something. Long story short, they gamed the system. Starting in 6th grade, he effectively took 2 classes a year in math by utilizing private summer schools in the area. He bragged about being able to get a BS before finishing high school but wasn't able to because he didn't realize they were credits equivalent to those for a "non-degree seeing student", no backsies. Also, he didn't have GE credits. He ended up needing to retract the claim from his applications but still got into an Ivy. He's pretty weird now though, because all he did was live and breathe math for basically half his life. Or maybe less, I'm not the math major.

In the article's case, maybe Portland State has an option for non-degree students to be admitted if they get certain grades but I can't find info on it. It might be the mom exaggerating the way my old classmate did, and if so, that'll suck for the kid. Finishing the required courses for a major =/= automatic degree.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

From reddit:

quote:

One time I went to a stripclub with a couple of friends, as we got into the club and were standing at the bar one friend noticed one of the girls and said to me, 'gently caress, look at her! She's incredible! I don't want a dance from her, I want to loving marry her!' we all laughed and thought nothing of it. Later on in the evening he called her over to get a private dance but once they got to the back room he just started chatting to her, she was a local student, we had all just graduated from the same university, the song ended, no stripping took place and he left with her number.

They dated for 3 or so years, she stopped being a stripper after about 6 months, passed her ACCA exams is now an accountant and they just got engaged.

So do strippers treat people they find attractive differently? Yeah, sometimes they marry them!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Bold Robot posted:

From reddit:

Ah yes, the private room of a strip club, where you can have a long and engaged conversation with someone.

Have these people ever been in a club of any kind?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I ask 2 girls to leave private property, I end up hand cuffed in the back of a police car. (self.MensRights)

quote:

Right now I am so loving pissed off I can barely post this post. I live on the property of a private boat club, the property is gated, fenced, and has no trespassing signs all over. I live here to keep non-members out of the property as we are located on the water in a large park.

Tonight I come home from work and do my walk around the property, as I do everyday, and I came across to young women sunbathing on one of the docks. I asked if they were members, they said no, and asked the to politely leave because this is private property. That's when they started to call me a perv, they can do what thay want, on and on. I am a very level headed person and let them rant and I calmly assed them to leave. They called 911 and screaming that some creepy old perv was harassing them.

After a few minutes the police show up. Two female police. One goes and talks to the girls, the other talks to me. I explain to here that I live here and it is my job as caretaker to keep people from trespassing on the property. All the while the girls are getting all emotional with the other officer using words like creepy, they felt threatened, rape, the whole 9 yards. The 2 officers talk alone, then come over and cuff me risk me, take my wallet, phone, and keys, then seat me in the back of my car while they check my background and a warren search. All the while the two sunbathing girls are all giddy about me being in cuffs and taking my pic and text/posting like crazy.

After about 15 minutes they take me out of the car and cuffs, and tell me I am free to go. (Go where? I loving live here!) They then ask the girls, who are pissed that I was uncuffed, if they wanted to file a report against me, but they would have to leave the property.

So for doing my job, on private property where I live, I end up in handcuffs for being considered "creepy" by doing my job.

The officers never asked me if I wanted to file charges against them for trespassing.....of course.

Update #1: I woke up this morning and my just venting on here blew up. I've replied to a few comments. I spoke to the board members of the club and we agree that in the future I should just call the non emergency number for the police and to record it. I also contacted a member who is a retired from the state supreme court and she told me "that is utter bullshit" as to how I was detained and she is putting a call into the police chief. I appreciate all the support, thank you!

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I ask 2 girls to leave private property, I end up hand cuffed in the back of a police car. (self.MensRights)

I'm a dumbass young adult woman with friends that are, shocker, also dumbass young adult women. If we ever accidentally do something and end up where we shouldn't be (like a store that's about to close or the wrong section of a restaurant if there's a reserved section) we just say sorry and move. I'm sure that dock was not some magical tanning spot.

DrHerpington has a new favorite as of 11:00 on Jul 14, 2013

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Sorry to bring out an older story again, but about that "woman does not take kidney because it's from an atheist", aren't organ donations anonymous ? And according to lists and poo poo.

It just does not work like that. There are rules and it's not possible and not legal to do stuff like that. Partly because that would lead to people selling their organs or getting their organs sold which is not something anyone wants.

Some content

quote:

Yesterday my father and I were about an hour and a half in to a drive when we decided to pull over to stretch our legs. We park, I sit in the car for a minute checking my phone, and when I look up I see my dad laying flat on his back on the concrete, his entire body flailing around violently. I ran over to him to see him turn blue, foam start coming out of his mouth. I happen to be currently taking a course for emergency medical response, so I dial 911 while trying my best to use the little training I have to help my father. I have one hand on the phone with dispatch, the other underneath his head attempting to cushion it from the hard ground. At this point a truck driver pulls up (we were in a pretty isolated area so I was relieved to see another person). My dad stops seizing after a few minutes, so I try my best to turn him on to his side in to the recovery position and allow the foam and any vomit to drain so he doesn't choke. It's important to note that I am a petite woman and my dad is a rather large guy. I yell to the truck driver to help me turn my dad over, but instead he stands over my father and begins to pray, "Oh heavenly father...". So even though I have this fully capable guy right next to me and am begging him to help me, he just stands there continuing with his drat prayer. Thanks to adrenaline I managed to get my dad on to his side myself and scooped as much of that crap out of his mouth as I could.
My dad is okay now, and I'm eternally grateful for the amazing paramedics and everyone at the hospital who helped us. But to the fucker who decided that his time was better spent praying rather than helping us... gently caress you.
I am an atheist, but I have always been completely respectful and understanding of those who are religious. But this I have to say... if you find yourself praying instead of answering someones pleas for help, you are not a Christian, you are a loving rear end in a top hat.

Not very original but well :ohdear:

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Jul 14, 2013

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yes, because the appropriate thing to do is not to call the police and report those two officers, but to rant about it to /r/mensrights. And he has a job but lives in a boat dock? :psyduck: I'm imagine a creepy old guy with a long beard and dented hat, and a huge coat with holes in it.

What actually happened: girls sunbathing after having a party on a boat of a friend, who said it was ok to stay (because if it's locked and fenced, how else would they get in?) Crazy looking man comes over ranting and raving "you stupid women! I hate all women! Raaargh!" so they try to pack up as quickly as possible. He keeps yelling while checking them out sexually, so they call the police.

Police show up, probably not two female officers, likely a dude and a woman or 2 dudes. They see the guy that looks like a crazy hobo ranting and raving about "loving women! They're in my house!" After asking where he's from, they think 'he lives in a boat dock? Yeah right!'. Guy keeps yelling "mah rights! Women are whores and evil!" so they put him in the squad car. Girls either don't actually take photos, or maybe take one bacause the situation is so ridiculous and he's still muffedly yelling from inside the car, which would make them laugh. Cops release the guy because they can't charge him with anything. Guy posts to /r/mensrights from his shack at the boat dock.

That, or he is an actual hobo who was unable to rape some girls at the loca pier, and is posting from the library.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Fathis Munk posted:

Sorry to bring out an older story again, but about that "woman does not take kidney because it's from an atheist", aren't organ donations anonymous ? And according to lists and poo poo.

It just does not work like that. There are rules and it's not possible and not legal to do stuff like that. Partly because that would lead to people selling their organs or getting their organs sold which is not something anyone wants.

You can do direct donations. Kidney donations can be made to family, friends or someone on a donor list. You're not allowed to profit from the sale of organs or tissue.

http://organdonor.gov/faqs.html

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
I was at a friend's going away party last night and she invited some of her pub trivia team members. One told the most amazing STDH stories the entire night. The highlight being the story where he was in Florida for his brother's high school graduation and was staying at a hotel with his mom and sister and went to the ice machine for them. He heard some girls talking and "They sounded sexy so I stayed around for a while, hoping they would walk by".
They came by, started chatting, and the two of them invited him back to their room. This led to them blowing him "Because we didn't have any condoms" and he was invited back the next night. He bought a big box of condoms and when he came back to their room they showed him they also bought some, just for him.

Then their "dancer teammates" showed up (did I forget to mention they were all super sexy beautiful fit dancers, every last one of them). You see, they were in Florida for a competition and decided "Yeah, let's all gangbang some random dude someone meets at the ice machine". So he said there were maybe "6 chicks" in bed with him and the rest of them watched.

He also told some stories of middle school sex in hot tubs with two girls and all the sports stars he's "close personal friends with".

I, of course, pretending I believed every word of it because they keep telling you stories if you act like they're not so full of poo poo it's leaking out their ears.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fathis Munk posted:

Some content
quote:

Yesterday my father and I were about an hour and a half in to a drive when we decided to pull over to stretch our legs. We park, I sit in the car for a minute checking my phone, and when I look up I see my dad laying flat on his back on the concrete, his entire body flailing around violently. I ran over to him to see him turn blue, foam start coming out of his mouth. I happen to be currently taking a course for emergency medical response, so I dial 911 while trying my best to use the little training I have to help my father. I have one hand on the phone with dispatch, the other underneath his head attempting to cushion it from the hard ground. At this point a truck driver pulls up (we were in a pretty isolated area so I was relieved to see another person). My dad stops seizing after a few minutes, so I try my best to turn him on to his side in to the recovery position and allow the foam and any vomit to drain so he doesn't choke. It's important to note that I am a petite woman and my dad is a rather large guy. I yell to the truck driver to help me turn my dad over, but instead he stands over my father and begins to pray, "Oh heavenly father...". So even though I have this fully capable guy right next to me and am begging him to help me, he just stands there continuing with his drat prayer. Thanks to adrenaline I managed to get my dad on to his side myself and scooped as much of that crap out of his mouth as I could.
My dad is okay now, and I'm eternally grateful for the amazing paramedics and everyone at the hospital who helped us. But to the fucker who decided that his time was better spent praying rather than helping us... gently caress you.
I am an atheist, but I have always been completely respectful and understanding of those who are religious. But this I have to say... if you find yourself praying instead of answering someones pleas for help, you are not a Christian, you are a loving rear end in a top hat.

Not very original but well :ohdear:

I like how this person is an atheist but doesn't bother to figure out where the adrenaline came from that allowed her to save her father.

God

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

oldpainless posted:

I like how this person is an atheist but doesn't bother to figure out where the adrenaline came from that allowed her to save her father.

God

I know it's just bad writing, but this is my favorite line:

quote:

I happen to be currently taking a course for emergency medical response, so I dial 911

That emergency medical response (Not first aid I guess?) is money well spent; it took me multiple lessons before I remembered that "Unconscious blue flailing dude on the ground" = 911.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Is it just me, or does it seem like the iPhone text chat conversations never actually happen:

http://imgur.com/gallery/7jIHmRD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Plan Z posted:

Is it just me, or does it seem like the iPhone text chat conversations never actually happen:

http://imgur.com/gallery/7jIHmRD

Of course they do, I have at least one of these a day.

More seriously even the guys on imgur call them out on it !

• Locked thread