Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Chaotic Flame posted:

What has she done since Kingdom Hearts? My love for her work comes from KH and Parasite Eve.

The Mario and Luigi games, for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Mazed posted:

FFXIII had a couple of tracks which really fell short of the mark, despite being decent to listen to on their own. The first of these was "Defiers of Fate", which played on the airship all the way up until the first Barthandelus fight. The scenery in this area was really cool and evocative, but having it set to a somewhat bland rock/synth cover of the Blinded by Light theme really took something away. It ought to have been something much more ominous and looming, seeing as how you were invading an airship designed like a flying cathedral. It could have been really cool buildup for your imminent face-to-face encounter with a god-machine.

Same goes for the Yaschas Massif theme. Nothing against bossa nova, but a winding, precipitous mountain trail inhabited by powerful monsters that ends in the ruins of a modern city inhabited by ghoulish cie'th sincerely deserved better ambiance.

The Sunleth Waterscape theme really put me off at first, but eh...it grew on me. :v:

The rest of the music in XIII was really good and suited the environments extremely well, for what little we got to see of them. That, and it has the best normal battle theme that the series has ever had, bar none.

Dust to Dust is still one of my favorite XIII tunes.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

The White Dragon posted:

She had a great run on the SNES and while the soundtrack isn't really compatible with casual listening, I can respect what she did with Parasite Eve. But since 2002? Nope.

This. And also this.

Then again Yoko Shimomura is my favourite composer so I'm probably a little biased.

But yes, the FFXIII saga also has some drat fine tunes. Most of the battle themes are just sublime and I have a huge hard on for the main theme itself (and all of those remixes within the game :allears:)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vinchenz posted:

This. And also this.

Then again Yoko Shimomura is my favourite composer so I'm probably a little biased.

That first one was pretty bad, but the second one was unexpectedly good stuff. Reminiscent of the upbeat and stacatto SNES Shimomura than the one obsessed with droning 30bpm pipe organs for final bosses.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

What has she done since Kingdom Hearts? My love for her work comes from KH and Parasite Eve.

Some Xenoblade stuff and Radiant Historia.

Also Shimomura's great, y'all can gently caress right off.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNR-wsFAfiU
She did music for Xenoblade Chronicles too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Than the one obsessed with droning 30bpm pipe organs for final bosses.
Has she actually done this? All the Kingdom Hearts final boss music is pretty imposing, but also fairly frantic. Maybe Days's final boss theme?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Terper posted:

Some Xenoblade stuff and Radiant Historia.

Also Shimomura's great, y'all can gently caress right off.

The Radiant Historia soundtrack was fantastic and was the best part of the game. Shimomura's all right by me.

And that Bowser's Inside Story final boss theme is amazing. I love the way new Mario games have insanely dramatic music for their final boss themes--this one's right up there with the Galaxy 2 final boss music, just with less choir.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mazed posted:

The Sunleth Waterscape theme really put me off at first, but eh...it grew on me. :v:
Between XIII, XIII-2, and Theatrhythm, it had plenty of time to grow on me. And somehow, it actually did, I legitimately like it now.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mazed posted:

The rest of the music in XIII was really good and suited the environments extremely well, for what little we got to see of them. That, and it has the best normal battle theme that the series has ever had, bar none.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjZuxAWb8a8

Final Fantasy II, III, VII, VIII all kick the poo poo out of XIII and XIII-2's battle systems, because they don't feel too samey next to other FF battle themes, and are catchy enough that you never get sick of them.

Here's an orchestral compilation of some of those battle themes, with some boss ones thrown in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsZgc0uTYU4

Also, the three pieces of music we have from Versus XIII/XV are awesome, and I can't wait to hear the rest of the soundtrack.

alcharagia posted:

The Mario and Luigi games, for one.

:aaaaa:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Mario & Luigi music sounds super similar to her work on Kingdom Hearts, I don't know how you could miss it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

poo poo, you can even hear her style in old NES songs she did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsUgc1XseBY

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Is FF13 easy to pick back up after a long hiatus? I'm on chapter 12 and want to just blow through the rest of the game. Don't remember at all how to play

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

That loving Sned posted:

Final Fantasy II, III, VII, VIII all kick the poo poo out of XIII and XIII-2's battle systems, because they don't feel too samey next to other FF battle themes, and are catchy enough that you never get sick of them.

Let's throw 10-2 in the "samey" pile too since it's apparently opposite day. :confused:

The music from 3 is great fun but it's completely lost in orchestral form. I can't tap my toes to this!

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 14, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Well FFXV's usic will be top notch at the very least. Xenoblade's soundtrack is amazing and so was Radiant Historia's. Only other DS game off the top of my head with music comparable were some of the Etrian Odyssey series' tracks.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
There's never been a main series Final Fantasy game with bad music. Only XII comes close as forgettable, but still not bad. I have no doubt XV's music will be fantastic.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Meh. I prefer Hamazu's work on Dirge of Cerberus - the soundtrack is probably one of the few redeeming things about it. Kinda Noir-ish in places. It also redeemed Cait Sith slightly, by giving him this theme.

As for his stuff on XIII, I prefer Defiers of Fate, over Blinded by Light, just for the intro. The lack of some of the more traditional themes is a let down - the lack of the prelude and victory theme for instance - though the Chocobo theme is pretty good. My least liked pieces are Nascent Requiem/Born Anew; it's just an absolute clusterfuck.

Can't beat the old FF theme. :jewish:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pesky Splinter posted:

Meh. I prefer Hamazu's work on Dirge of Cerberus - the soundtrack is probably one of the few redeeming things about it. Kinda Noir-ish in places. It also redeemed Cait Sith slightly, by giving him this theme.

As for his stuff on XIII, I prefer Defiers of Fate, over Blinded by Light, just for the intro. The lack of some of the more traditional themes is a let down - the lack of the prelude and victory theme for instance - though the Chocobo theme is pretty good. My least liked pieces are Nascent Requiem/Born Anew; it's just an absolute clusterfuck.

Can't beat the old FF theme. :jewish:

I still can't believe a game that's the head of something called The New Story of the Crystals didn't have the loving Prelude~Crystal theme. You had one job, guys, :cmon:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Blinded By Light is basically the only part of FFXIII with any tonal consistency - SE might have claimed they wanted to make the characters feel desperate and hunted for most of the game, but that battle theme is the only part of the game that gets that point through. It's got a great, frantic feel with those strings in the background.

The rest of the game was an unremarkable mongrel mish-mash, and its sequel was even worse.

I'll always be holding FFVII's soundtrack over all the others. Mostly because it was my first and I can remember nearly every note, but there are a lot of legit great songs in there, too, despite (or even because of) the MIDI tunes everyplace.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Blinded By Light is basically the only part of FFXIII with any tonal consistency - SE might have claimed they wanted to make the characters feel desperate and hunted for most of the game, but that battle theme is the only part of the game that gets that point through. It's got a great, frantic feel with those strings in the background.

The rest of the game was an unremarkable mongrel mish-mash, and its sequel was even worse.

I'll always be holding FFVII's soundtrack over all the others. Mostly because it was my first and I can remember nearly every note, but there are a lot of legit great songs in there, too, despite (or even because of) the MIDI tunes everyplace.

While FF7 at it's best is some of the best FF music I will always prefer IX's OST over all. They really hit the tone of exploration and their old style of fantasy. Over Those Hills is the best world map just because of that.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Bland posted:

Mario & Luigi music sounds super similar to her work on Kingdom Hearts, I don't know how you could miss it.

Well, I did play those games years ago, before I even tried Kingdom Hearts, or any other games she's worked on. I just assumed it was the same composer as every other Mario game.

I can understand being able to tell when a composer hasn't worked on an entry to a series, like when Nobuo Uematsu stopped being the main composer after FFIX, but I can't just listen to any game's soundtrack and identify the composer immediately.

E: Actually, could you at least give an example? Just one piece of music from the series, along with another of her works that's similar.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 14, 2013

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

^^^Typically I'm the same way but once you recognize some of Shimomura's style, it gets easy to catch any time it shows up. That MM5 Wily Stage theme sounds like it could easily be a KH boss theme if you updated the instrumentals.

Oxxidation posted:

Really? Even Barthandelus' theme doesn't give you a sense of being desperate and hunted?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Really? Even Barthandelus' theme doesn't give you a sense of being desperate and hunted?

Bland orchestral pap. Pass.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

It's like someone said, "I want the most generic boss theme you can give me. With the vocals being mostly drowned out by the orchestra."

To be fair, they did it in the sequel too, but actually managed to make it sound decent.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I think when I first heard Desperate Struggle, I knew that I was going to love FFXIII's soundtrack no matter what anyone said. Such a loving fantastic boss theme.

I'm pretty okay with a lack of prelude and victory themes -- this is Hamauzu's time, and he's kicking tons of rear end. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blinded by Light is the best song in FFXIII but I like a lot of other's too, like Fang's theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY1lIaiTgs8

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Great song from the FF14 2.0 beta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMo_iChpals

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pretty much all of the FF14 music is really really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPavrXWVKZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ue6roG6xp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvFjNGIh95Q

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
FF14 2.0 is gonna be loving awesome.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

That loving Sned posted:

Well, I did play those games years ago, before I even tried Kingdom Hearts, or any other games she's worked on. I just assumed it was the same composer as every other Mario game.

I can understand being able to tell when a composer hasn't worked on an entry to a series, like when Nobuo Uematsu stopped being the main composer after FFIX, but I can't just listen to any game's soundtrack and identify the composer immediately.

E: Actually, could you at least give an example? Just one piece of music from the series, along with another of her works that's similar.

I wouldn't say I can recognise any composer just by listening to music from games they've worked on but Shimomura is an exception because she's so distinctive. Here's three battle themes by her that I think sum up her style on the Mario & Luigi/Kingdom Hearts games.

And some town themes

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

They're pretty nice.
I love that they all have the Prelude played in the background faintly :allears:

I'm hoping they'll do a version of III's final boss music, considering that the Cloud of Darkness is appearing.

The first incarnation of XIV had pretty decent music too:
Rise of the White Raven
The weird Good King Moggle Mog
And of course, Answers.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Thank god we're finally getting another modern version of this. I actually prefer it to the Prelude. A Realm Reborn's going to own so hard :unsmigghh:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fungah! posted:

Thank god we're finally getting another modern version of this. I actually prefer it to the Prelude. A Realm Reborn's going to own so hard :unsmigghh:

It will still be final fantasy 14 so... Probably not.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

It actually does rock fairly hard. The presentation itself is absolutely astounding. If you don't like MMOs or so it's not gonna change your mind, but I've had fun with what little I've played so far (level 20).

And hey the open beta starts in a few weeks so you all can have a go at it then for free. Unless some drastic changes need to happen, all progress made in that beta will be saved, so if you wanna keep playing, you don't have to start from scratch either.

Terper fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 14, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I do, actually, rather like them. It's just that FF11 and FF14 were two of the most unpleasant games I've ever had the misfortune of playing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, seriously. I wanna know what version of XIII everyone else seems to have played where the music didn't suck, because the one I played only had 3 tracks that are even memorable and one of those was memorable for how poo poo it was (that one being The Vile Peaks). Meanwhile, Blinded by Light is only memorable due to sheer repetition and it getting pounded in your skull ad infinitum. Well, the first few seconds are at least. Sunleth Waterscape is pretty much the same but due to being repeated across three games instead of just two. I'd say that's the only one that even qualifies as being "good" but I'm not sure if that's because I really think so or due to some kind of musical version of Stockholm Syndrome.

And since I had to actively look up the name of the Vile Peaks one, I learned in the process that apparently the OST is four discs long. I wasn't aware XIII had enough music for two discs, never mind four.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Actually Realm Reborn's lookin pretty solid.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I do, actually, rather like them. It's just that FF11 and FF14 were two of the most unpleasant games I've ever had the misfortune of playing.

From what I've read, there are two main directors at SE working on the FF MMOs, a good one and a poo poo one. The poo poo one designed FFXI, and for the first few years the game was a terrible, unfun grindfest. Then he was brought off the team to start working on FFXIV, and the good one took over FFXI.

When FFXIV came out, it was an absolute disaster, and the good director was brought in to redo the entire game from scratch, and effectively halting development on all major games besides the FFXIII sequels. Meanwhile, the poo poo director was put back on FFXI, and made it bad again.

Since A Realm Reborn is an entirely new game, done by the good director, then it may actually be good. It's part of SE's effort to bring the Final Fantasy franchise back out of the gutter after 2010's twofold disaster. That was also why Agito and Versus have been disassociated from XIII, despite sharing a similar mythology. FFXV is the company's way of saying that they can make good, modern games that appeal to more than just die-hard JRPG fans, just like ARR is saying that they can make a good MMO again.

You're right to be sceptical, since they have yet to prove themselves. I'm still going to pick up Lightning Returns, despite not liking XIII much, and thinking XIII-2 was a massive step back on the streamlining the game did, since it brought back all the tedious JRPG bullshit that I hate, but they made some key improvements to gameplay, and the premise at least looks interesting.

Actually, on a slightly different topic, I think that just because it's possible to explain every stupid little detail in XIII and XIII-2's plot, it doesn't make them good stories. A story should not require information outside of the source, such as from a book released only in Japan, or from an in-game cliffnotes encyclopaedia, to understand basic elements of the plot, including the completely unmentioned Goddess that influences pivotal events. In fact, leaving out specific information can often improve a story, a popular example being the explanation of the force in Star Wars. In fact, the XIII series shares a lot of poor storytelling elements from the Star Wars prequels, including focusing on certain characters just because they're popular with the fans, not because they're important to the story, having the same cast of characters being involved in everything important in the galaxy/timeline, and having a convenient explanation for every apparent plot hole. Just because there's a reason for it shoehorned in, it doesn't mean it was necessary, interesting, or believable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

Has she actually done this? All the Kingdom Hearts final boss music is pretty imposing, but also fairly frantic. Maybe Days's final boss theme?
Yeah, The Gloaming and KH2's final boss for sure. I guess I just like a little more instrument diversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlY7CIAZQiU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs5zxtWePw0

I think I'm going to play through FF8 again. Breaking the game with Triple Triad is so much fun to me for some reason.