Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

BonoMan posted:

So William Shakespeare's Star Wars is going to hit the NYT Best Sellers list at #12 on the 21st. That's pretty exciting (and I like to think our trailer had some measure of effect on that). It's fun, go read it!

http://quirkbooks.com/post/birthday-gift-thats-hard-top

I'm only at the start of Act II, but so far it is indeed a lot of fun.

Yesterday I showed my copy to a friend who occasionally puts on plays, and he wondered how to go about obtaining the performance rights. I'm sure this isn't the first time someone asked this question, too, but we couldn't find any info on the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dave Syndrome posted:

I'm only at the start of Act II, but so far it is indeed a lot of fun.

Yesterday I showed my copy to a friend who occasionally puts on plays, and he wondered how to go about obtaining the performance rights. I'm sure this isn't the first time someone asked this question, too, but we couldn't find any info on the website.

I wouldn't hold out hope for that. I think it would involve too much of an approval process for every production. For the trailer we had to get every single thing (everyrrrryryryrthing) approved by Lucas. I imagine they'd want that control over every production. I'm not real familiar with how production rights for plays go though (do they hand out "brand guides" that you have to adhere to?).

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

So I went and looked up this new book Crucible you guys are talking about and...I saw the cover...um...

This isn't real, is it? Please tell me this is a working copy? It's the one Wookieepedia and Amazon have, so I assume it's real, but holy poo poo is that terrible. They're mutants! I mean, look at it. LOOK AT IT!

Luke has apparently had a stroke. Leia's face is sliding down her head. And Han's face is making a run for it to stage right. Christ, how did this get approved?

Eric Roberts as Han Solo

Calliper posted:

Here is 1138 behind the scenes photos

http://imgur.com/a/0RmF7#33

She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid.

Muppetjedi fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 14, 2013

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeiL3Eru1A0

Anyone up for a 7 hour documentary on Star Wars?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So according to Allston's Twitter, he no longer has a Star Wars book contract. Although I suppose that's not really surprising, given that there are really only five books still on the Star Wars publishing horizon and all are pre-ANH, and no matter what anyone at Del Rey or Lucasbooks says it's pretty much a given that the Star Wars publishing contract is going to be a tossup once Del Rey's current contract expires.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

So according to Allston's Twitter, he no longer has a Star Wars book contract. Although I suppose that's not really surprising, given that there are really only five books still on the Star Wars publishing horizon and all are pre-ANH, and no matter what anyone at Del Rey or Lucasbooks says it's pretty much a given that the Star Wars publishing contract is going to be a tossup once Del Rey's current contract expires.

There's a Sword of the Jedi trilogy coming soon, there's no way that's pre-ANH as it stars Jaina Solo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

There's a Sword of the Jedi trilogy coming soon, there's no way that's pre-ANH as it stars Jaina Solo.

It's also probably cancelled. Denning implied as much when mentioning it at a recent interview, the other post-ROTJ duology was also confirmed as being put "on hold" indefinitely, and I don't think there's been a single word about Sword since the Disney announcement.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

It's also probably cancelled. Denning implied as much when mentioning it at a recent interview, the other post-ROTJ duology was also confirmed as being put "on hold" indefinitely, and I don't think there's been a single word about Sword since the Disney announcement.

I poked around a bit and can find no confirmation of the trilogy being cancelled.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

I poked around a bit and can find no confirmation of the trilogy being cancelled.

Yeah, that's included in what I said above about there being nothing mentioned about it since the Disney announcement, along with the other post-ROTJ series they had planned. Notable from the Star Wars book panel at Comic-Con was a complete absence of any mention of Sword of the Jedi. I also think it's noteworthy that Denning said that after the Disney announcement, he was told to change the end of Crucible from setting up more future plot lines to trying to make some sort of definitive end to the movie characters (although it clearly failed in that regard).

I doubt Del Rey or Lucasbooks is going to say "all these big books we announced pre-Disney are now cancelled" until they absolutely have to, but the writing is clearly on the wall.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, that's included in what I said above about there being nothing mentioned about it since the Disney announcement, along with the other post-ROTJ series they had planned. Notable from the Star Wars book panel at Comic-Con was a complete absence of any mention of Sword of the Jedi. I also think it's noteworthy that Denning said that after the Disney announcement, he was told to change the end of Crucible from setting up more future plot lines to trying to make some sort of definitive end to the movie characters (although it clearly failed in that regard).

I doubt Del Rey or Lucasbooks is going to say "all these big books we announced pre-Disney are now cancelled" until they absolutely have to, but the writing is clearly on the wall.

I may be getting my timelines twisted, but I could have sworn Sword of the Jedi was announced post-Disney. It also would really come off as unprofessional if they were announcing books, getting them written, etc etc without actually having the contract to do so.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sword of the Jedi was announced about a month before the Disney buyout, as I recall. Crucible was announced maybe 3-4 months before Disney, which is probably why Denning still got it done and Del Rey decided to put it out (in addition to it "wrapping up" the OT-era characters).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I still don't understand how the Disney buyout would affect anything that was already far enough along to be announced to the public. If they had it on the publishing schedule, if the author was already writing it, then does Disney even really have the right to cancel it? They bought out Lucasfilm, not Del Rey; Del Rey had a contract to produce (and presumably get the sales cut from) X number of books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Presumably there would be some sort of stipulated cancellation penalty.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
True, but it's a lovely PR move. What do you tell to the people who were waiting for those books to come out? "Oh sorry, Disney had us cancel them because....reasons." Whole lotta goodwill lost right there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

True, but it's a lovely PR move. What do you tell to the people who were waiting for those books to come out? "Oh sorry, Disney had us cancel them because....reasons." Whole lotta goodwill lost right there.

Disney is probably far more interested in keeping a consistent control over their brand than in upsetting the increasingly small number of Star Wars EU fans who are 99% likely to continue to buy everything they put out anyway.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

jivjov posted:

I still don't understand how the Disney buyout would affect anything that was already far enough along to be announced to the public. If they had it on the publishing schedule, if the author was already writing it, then does Disney even really have the right to cancel it? They bought out Lucasfilm, not Del Rey; Del Rey had a contract to produce (and presumably get the sales cut from) X number of books.

They cancelled that Coruscant-Underworld game didn't they? I don't see why books would be different.

EDIT: Also, there's no guarantee that Del Rey's contract means anything at this point. Depending on how Disney absorbed Lucasfilm the entity that Del Rey has a contract with may not truly exist anymore, making contracts void or voidable.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The books keep hitting the New York Times Best Seller list, so there apparently are a lot of people out there buying them.

I wonder if there's a particular contact person EU fans can write to to express ongoing interest in the books announced pre-buyout...

Epi Lepi posted:

EDIT: Also, there's no guarantee that Del Rey's contract means anything at this point. Depending on how Disney absorbed Lucasfilm the entity that Del Rey has a contract with may not truly exist anymore, making contracts void or voidable.

My understanding was that Lucasfilm and Lucas Licensing still existed, just under the ownership of Disney. I'm phone posting now, but when I'm home I can try to track down the article I saw on the topic...

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 20, 2013

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ImpAtom posted:

Disney is probably far more interested in keeping a consistent control over their brand

Explain the upcoming crossover with their stupid loving Phineas and Ferb cartoon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Explain the upcoming crossover with their stupid loving Phineas and Ferb cartoon.

Consistent control over their brand isn't the same as good decisions.

jivjov posted:

The books keep hitting the New York Times Best Seller list, so there apparently are a lot of people out there buying them.

Hitting the New York Times Best Seller list is not actually as big a deal as you'd think for any established brand. It's a lot more about marketing than actual demand. It's only really significant when a new author or new franchise does it (and sometimes not even then.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 20, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is the NYT Best Seller list not actually about units sold? How do they measure it then, units ordered by book stores/Amazon?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So X-Wing is really really good and I'm getting to the end of the series, are there any other EU series along the same lines? Consistent writing, good action, character development, devoid of Jedi/force sensitives I pretend the whole Corran is a Jedi thing didn't happen More Wedge please!

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 20, 2013

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

KildarX posted:

So X-Wing is really really good and I'm getting to the end of the series, are there any other EU series along the same lines? Consistent writing, good action, character development, devoid of Jedi/force sensitives I pretend the whole Corran is a Jedi thing didn't happen More Wedge please!

The Han Solo and Bounty Hunter trilogies are pretty devoid of Jedi....people have varying opinions on them though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Cru Jones posted:

The Han Solo and Bounty Hunter trilogies are pretty devoid of Jedi....people have varying opinions on them though.

Read the Bounty Hunter Trilogy because it's loving retarded in the best way possible. I love those books, though they're super dumb and convoluted. :allears:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Brian Daley Han Solo Trilogy, for sure. One of the best EU works, period.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Calliper posted:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/05/star-wars-first-draft-comic/

What do you guys think of this? My goodness what star wars could have been

I'm both looking forward to this and dreading the inevitable attempt to fit this into the existing continuity.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TL posted:

I'm both looking forward to this and dreading the inevitable attempt to fit this into the existing continuity.

There's no way they'd try to fit that in. I'm actually super excited to finally see another project with a 'pre-meditated' Infinities logo.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cru Jones posted:

Indeed, I can't decide if theyre awesome or fantastic :colbert:

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

Cru Jones posted:

My opinion is that they are pretty good. (Likely due to the lack of Jedi) Especially the Han Solo Trilogy. I initially thought it was going to be an absolutely boring read but about halfway through the first book I was pretty hooked.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Here's a question that stumped me: how long does it take to build a starship? Say, a stay destroyer, or a Calamari star cruiser, or similar capital ships? What about smaller ships? Is there anything in the canon about that?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The X-Wing novels bring up the factoid that Incom only produces a relative handful of X-Wings every year, causing a couple of the Rouge Squadron pilots to be without ships for a while.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Van Dis posted:

Here's a question that stumped me: how long does it take to build a starship? Say, a stay destroyer, or a Calamari star cruiser, or similar capital ships? What about smaller ships? Is there anything in the canon about that?

I want to say a Star Destroyer would be somewhere on the order of months to a year, but I can only recall one example from the canon. In the Thrawn trilogy, the Imperial Remnant was building a new Star Destroyer (which got blown up before it was done.) It was a pretty big project, but not so big that they were talking about "in ten years when this thing launches."

And of course, the Death Star took only like twenty years. (For all that they like to call it a station... it flies all over the galaxy. It's a starship.) The Death Star was WAY more than twenty times as big a project as a Star Destroyer.

And then of course they got Death Star II mostly done in the space between movies. :toot:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Powered Descent posted:

And then of course they got Death Star II mostly done in the space between movies. :toot:

Did they? I thought the Death Star II was already in production when the Death Star I was destroyed. Wasn't the plan to have several of them all over the galaxy? That's why they found that skeletal version still being worked on in Jedi Search.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Skeletal one in Jedi Search was the original prototype created by Bevel Lemelisk (sp?) in the Maw.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Van Dis posted:

Like everything else in Star Wars time moves at the speed of the plot.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Conquistador posted:

Skeletal one in Jedi Search was the original prototype created by Bevel Lemelisk (sp?) in the Maw.

Good point, I forgot about that. But still, given that the Death Star II is larger than the first one, I always assumed it was well into production by the time A New Hope came around.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Super Star Destroyers are also apparently fast to build. The Night Hammer was built in less than 5 years or something like that, and it looks like KDY had started their own independent SSD after the fall of the Empire. I don't remember how long it took Zsinj to steal it, but there couldn't have been more than a few years since the keel was laid down to completion.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Is Crucible really supposed to be a send-off for the EU? :confused: I have even less motivation to read it now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is Crucible really supposed to be a send-off for the EU? :confused: I have even less motivation to read it now.

It was marketed as a capstone to the Legacy of the Force/Fate of the Jedi stuff, a sendoff to the Big Three and a (long overdue) heralding of the era of the younger generation. Denning was then instructed to not make the Luke/Han/Leia sendoff nearly as final as was originally intended.

If things like Sword of the Jedi and whatnot do indeed get cancelled and Crucible is the last EU entry (other than the Legacy comic), its not a bad end-point.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Has there been any news about Lucasfilm renewing Del Ray's contract? I see a couple books tentatively scheduled for 2014, but doesn't the contract expire in late 2013?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

Preechr posted:

Super Star Destroyers are also apparently fast to build. The Night Hammer was built in less than 5 years or something like that, and it looks like KDY had started their own independent SSD after the fall of the Empire. I don't remember how long it took Zsinj to steal it, but there couldn't have been more than a few years since the keel was laid down to completion.

Was the Iron Fist in the same configuration as the Executor? There were two other classes of SSD iirc. One was the clone emperor's Eclipse class and the other was Jerecs Vengeance class. I guess my real question was which of these classes was Zsinj's SSD?