Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It isn't being written anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

IMO the biggest issue with EU was that by the end of it Han was basically a geriatric who was suffering Alzheimer, but could beat up a fresh trooper.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Calax posted:

IMO the biggest issue with EU was that by the end of it Han was basically a geriatric who was suffering Alzheimer, but could beat up a fresh trooper.

The biggest issue with Han is that authors think "lovable rogue" and end up writing "sarcastic chauffeur"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

api call girl posted:

Legacy is really really dumb, though.
That last point about it being too close in time to the OT and other EU is pretty spot on.

WhyteRyce posted:

The biggest issue with Han is that authors think "lovable rogue" and end up writing "sarcastic chauffeur"
There's a part in either Legacy or Fate where Luke, Han, and Leia disguise themselves as impersonators of themselves. That's either wicked commentary or really bad writing, I'd hazard a guess if I could remember who wrote it.

Crucible is out, prepare to hate-along!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

There's a part in either Legacy or Fate where Luke, Han, and Leia disguise themselves as impersonators of themselves. That's either wicked commentary or really bad writing, I'd hazard a guess if I could remember who wrote it.

I'm going to guess Allston.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Crucible is out, prepare to hate-along!

TFN has had a lot of spoilers out for a while, and it sounds like typical Denning fair. Despite all the huge hype it doesn't seem like anything major actually happens, and definitely no EU reset or anything like that. Also a big chunk of the book involves Mortis from the Clone Wars episodes again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I haven't read Crucible, but the reasoning it gives for bringing up Mortis again is loving stupid. It's in case Abeloth ever comes back.

The EU needs another Thrawn. No Sith, no supernatural entities, just a smarter than average commander and a powerful army. gently caress this comic book villain escalation bullshit.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

"A blind hyperspace jump, are you crazy? We could wind up in the heart of a star!"

Aren't the chances of such a thing occuring in space pretty much so infinitesimal that this would pretty much never happen?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

TFN has had a lot of spoilers out for a while, and it sounds like typical Denning fair. Despite all the huge hype it doesn't seem like anything major actually happens, and definitely no EU reset or anything like that. Also a big chunk of the book involves Mortis from the Clone Wars episodes again.
The first half hour mostly consists of Han and Leia sitting around in a bar, and a bunch of weak jokes about how old they are. Off to a great start I tell you what.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drone posted:

"A blind hyperspace jump, are you crazy? We could wind up in the heart of a star!"

Aren't the chances of such a thing occuring in space pretty much so infinitesimal that this would pretty much never happen?

Depends completely on how the physics of hyperspace jumps work. (So naturally it's going to depend on who's writing the novel that day.)

If the geometry of hyperspace means that in a blind jump you're just moved in a random direction by some plausible distance, then yup, there's hilariously more empty void than star-heart out there. (Picture individual grains of sand separated by several miles for a good idea of how far apart the stars are.)

But maybe gravity interacts differently in hyperspace. Maybe 99% of the hyperspace routes that come near a large mass like a star just take you straight down into the star. Maybe hyperspacing across a galaxy is more like doing a mini-golf putt past a few thousand deep funnel-shaped holes, so they have to VERY CAREFULLY select a hyperspace route to make it all the way across. Maybe that's why Han said that without precise calculations they could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova.

Or maybe I just put too much thought into in-universe explanations for crazy random poo poo. v:v:v

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Hyperspace has always been described as having some manner of "geography" to it. There's Han's line in ANH about needing precise calculations, the plot of the old Tales of the Jedi comics started out centered around "hyperspace navigators" who were finding safe routes from place to place, etc.

But as was just said, the precise nature of hyperspace topography depends on who's writing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Drone posted:

He did say "Fly right through a star", so it's not like he was claiming that they had a good chance of ending directly at the heart of a star. In Outbound Flight, Car'Das aims his ship in a direction that looks to be between stars, and blindly jumps when trying to escape from a Hutt gangster. That was kind of cool.

So far Crucible has mentioned a female Falleen using her pheromones to start a religion based on unrestricted capitalist anarchy, just as an aside which probably won't have anything else to do with the story. I'll admit Troy Denning managed to amuse me there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a comic (I believe it was Jedi Council: Acts Of War) where Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Mace Windu and Saesee Tiin (the Jedi who got taken out by Palpatine in about two seconds in ROTS) are being chased by enemy starfighters and escape by pointing their ship at a nearby planet, engaging their hyperdrive and using the Force to navigate around it at hyper-speed, tricking their pursuers into thinking they've used hyperspace to go through the planet. I thought that was pretty cool.

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
So finished Crucible, and it was pretty underwhelming. The main bad guys were only super powerful force beings at the end, the big three died kind of and then came back, Vestara and Ship were back and once again escaped without harm, and Luke, Han, and Leia decided to retire, but there was no elaboration, the book ended right after they said they were retiring without explaining the plan for the Order. All in all, it was a pretty obvious set up for another book / series, but we'll see if they pass the torch or if the next book is set when everyone is 80 instead of 70, and they still run around like kids. Also, Jaina is 40ish in this book. That just kind of blew my mind.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Casimir Radon posted:

So far Crucible has mentioned a female Falleen using her pheromones to start a religion based on unrestricted capitalist anarchy, just as an aside which probably won't have anything else to do with the story. I'll admit Troy Denning managed to amuse me there.

I still haven't read anything by Troy Denning, but the more stuff I read about the contents of his books, the more I'm wondering whether or not he's a more modern Kevin J. Anderson.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

Also, Jaina is 40ish in this book. That just kind of blew my mind.

She doesn't still have her YJK characterisation, does she?

Drone posted:

I still haven't read anything by Troy Denning, but the more stuff I read about the contents of his books, the more I'm wondering whether or not he's a more modern Kevin J. Anderson.

KJA is like a hack Silver Age comic book writer, while Denning is more of a hack Dark Age comic book writer.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Jaina being 40 just made me feel old.

And then immediately feel like a loser for feeling that way.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

She doesn't still have her YJK characterisation, does she?

KJA is like a hack Silver Age comic book writer, while Denning is more of a hack Dark Age comic book writer.

Don't defend KJA in any terms. He is complicit in helping Brian Herbert rape his father's legacy over and over, pausing only to roll around in piles of money before penning another atrocity with "DUNE" in giant letters on the cover.

I read the poo poo out of the YJK series when I was 12, but when I went back 10 years later I realized it was poorly written fanfiction.

I loved the original Dune series so much I kept buying the new ones until it finally came out that the "volumes of notes" Frank Herbet left behind was basically some scribblings on the back of napkins and Brian Herbert and KJA just made everything up.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 11, 2013

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

THE EU IS A STEAMING LOAD OF BANTHA POO DOO

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Carnaticum posted:

THE EU IS A STEAMING LOAD OF BANTHA POO DOO Sithspit

Fixt

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Carnaticum posted:

THE EU IS A STEAMING LOAD OF BANTHA POO DOO

A good rule of thumb for the EU.

Everything written/set BBY (Before the battle of Yavin) is probably pretty good, or at least interesting as poo poo. (Tales of the Jedi, Kotor, Han Solo adventures, etc.) Anything by Karen Traviss will be amusing on its own, but contradict almost anything else from the setting.

Anything set during/between the movies and written between 1979 and 1983 is weird but fun, anything written after '83 is pretty poo poo (the exception being Shadows of the Empire for N64).

After RotJ to ~10 years ABY (After the Battle of Yavin) was fairly new/unique during the time it was written, especially the comics. The quality is hit or miss but at the very least it's a lot of fun.

After that, the quality steadily drops as they keep introducing new characters and trying to make people care about them, killing people off, and the movie characters get older and older.

Then someone had the bright idea to "change the game" and start the Yuuzhan Vong series, a 23 book arc that shattered the status quo, killed shitloads of established characters (Chewie nooooooo!) and produce a staggering level of quality inconstancy depending on the author. At this point I was still reading the book releases regularly. It shattered the New Republic, changed loyalties left and right, and ended up wiping out hundreds of trillions and devastating worlds.

Unfortunately, it also created the mentality that the Star Wars EU need multiple book series (10-12) releasing constantly rather then one-off novels here and there and small trilogies to advance the time line.

To help us come down from the rush, the hive-mind bug orgies started and super mysterious force monks who could 'flow walk' showed up then I quit. Pretty much every EU book since 2005 has off the wall batshit insane, with force wizards/witches popping up left and right and dark side mystical poo poo coming out of nowhere.

Oh, any the second George Lucas/Disney decides to invalidate any written material, it becomes non-canon.

I found this amusing quote when checking out book synopses on Wookiepedia

quote:

Leia then asks Luke what will happen to the New Jedi Order if he were to ever be absent again, now that he's in complete control of the Order. He answers, "I don't know. I wish I knew the answers."

Essentially everything currently being written has been hamstrung by the need to include the original movie characters as major characters in the books. When they finally get the nuts to kill them off, the EU might actually get interesting. Some of the comics are set in a time where all the original cast are dead and pull it off pretty well, in my opinion.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 11, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

Don't defend KJA in any terms. He is complicit in helping Brian Herbert rape his father's legacy over and over, pausing only to roll around in piles of money before penning another atrocity with "DUNE" in giant letters on the cover.

I wasn't defending him, that was just the first analogy that came to mind. I've not read his Dune books (I've only read Dune itself and Dune Messiah in that series) and I don't plan to.

That being said, as far as Star Wars writers go, I think I'd be much more inclined to defend KJA than Troy Denning.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You have to make it through all the Dune books. Chapterhouse Dune is particularly strange (in a good way.)

I mean the original Dune books.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I really liked the Dune prequels. When I was 11. I tried re-reading them a couple of years back, just to see if they were as bad as everyone said.

Turns out 11 year old me was a loving idiot.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

I really liked the Dune prequels. When I was 11. I tried re-reading them a couple of years back, just to see if they were as bad as everyone said.

Turns out 11 year old me was a loving idiot.

Really, the only reason these sorts of science fiction novels exist is to make sure you want to travel back through time and punch your past self in the face multiple times. Kevin J. Anderson, creating hindsight in sci-fi fans for 20 years.

...It's the only way to defend him.

Also, somebody mentioned the Let's Read thread in here. I'd like to take this oppurtunity to say I'm sorry for not finishing what I started there. I was doing TOR: Revan, but after my first update I was advised of some rather heinous medical problems and subsequently went throught an operation and large amounts of rehab. I want to finish it someday, if anybody ever wants to re-start a read through thread, please let me know.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

pentyne posted:

I read the poo poo out of the YJK series when I was 12, but when I went back 10 years later I realized it was poorly written fanfiction.

I loved the original Dune series so much I kept buying the new ones until it finally came out that the "volumes of notes" Frank Herbet left behind was basically some scribblings on the back of napkins and Brian Herbert and KJA just made everything up.

Or, you know, written for a 12 year old...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So I went and looked up this new book Crucible you guys are talking about and...I saw the cover...um...

This isn't real, is it? Please tell me this is a working copy? It's the one Wookieepedia and Amazon have, so I assume it's real, but holy poo poo is that terrible. They're mutants! I mean, look at it. LOOK AT IT!

Luke has apparently had a stroke. Leia's face is sliding down her head. And Han's face is making a run for it to stage right. Christ, how did this get approved?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

So I went and looked up this new book Crucible you guys are talking about and...I saw the cover...um...

This isn't real, is it? Please tell me this is a working copy? It's the one Wookieepedia and Amazon have, so I assume it's real, but holy poo poo is that terrible. They're mutants! I mean, look at it. LOOK AT IT!

Luke has apparently had a stroke. Leia's face is sliding down her head. And Han's face is making a run for it to stage right. Christ, how did this get approved?

That's the real cover. It's a symptom of the licensing agreement; if they want to depict aged versions of the characters, they have to use the reference shots from 1977-1983, they can't use likenesses of Hamill, Ford, and Fisher as they are today. So as Luke, Han, and Leia get older and older, they just keep having to cake on more wrinkles and grey hair.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

VASQUEZ LIVES!

e: no seriously. That isn't Leia.

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 11, 2013

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

That's the real cover. It's a symptom of the licensing agreement; if they want to depict aged versions of the characters, they have to use the reference shots from 1977-1983, they can't use likenesses of Hamill, Ford, and Fisher as they are today. So as Luke, Han, and Leia get older and older, they just keep having to cake on more wrinkles and grey hair.

Oh I know about that agreement. But there are ways to make people look old in drawings. That isn't it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

thrawn527 posted:

For some screwy reason, it's this image that made me finally realize how rarely you see a depiction of Han in any outfit other than "dark jacket or vest over white shirt". Weird.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's probably going to be funny when they eventually try to redeem Vestara. So far in Crucible she's responsible for the deaths of approximately 30,000 people, in addition to her earlier crimes. It wouldn't be the first times considering Kyp's crimes were handwaved away, although Carida and Maw Installation were arguably military targets, and Vestara nonchalantly dropped an asteroid on tens of thousands of civilians, and went out of her way to maximize casualties. At least there hasn't been any of that awful smoochytalk between her and Ben that made Fate so unbearable at times.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The look of Leia on the cover is funny, since in the book itself it keeps getting brought up over and over again how she still looks like she did in the OT.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I think Leia's face is less "Sliding down" and more "having more head built on top of it"

And the more I look at Han, the more I feel like he's got a facial deformity that ONLY makes his face work from THAT angle, and he has nothing on the back of his head.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/05/star-wars-first-draft-comic/

What do you guys think of this? My goodness what star wars could have been

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm really looking forward to it. I think it's a great idea, and I wish we'd see more unique ideas like that from Star Wars publishing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm really looking forward to it. I think it's a great idea, and I wish we'd see more unique ideas like that from Star Wars publishing.

quote:

[Lucas] said to me while doing [another Star Wars comic project], a few times, how much he loves seeing comic books without the word balloons — that he loves seeing the art tell the story.

That goes a lot towards the theory that Lucas approached the prequels as silent films and less towards the dialogue/writing.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Thwomp posted:

That goes a lot towards the theory that Lucas approached the prequels as silent films and less towards the dialogue/writing.

So then why'd he addd stupid dialogue?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So William Shakespeare's Star Wars is going to hit the NYT Best Sellers list at #12 on the 21st. That's pretty exciting (and I like to think our trailer had some measure of effect on that). It's fun, go read it!

http://quirkbooks.com/post/birthday-gift-thats-hard-top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Here is 1138 behind the scenes photos

http://imgur.com/a/0RmF7#33