Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

YouTuber posted:

Another group in the area is Bohemund who is the son of Robert Guiscard (he is in CK2 as the Hauteville family. Robert is an interesting character because he started off as vagabond/raider who caught the eye of a local Lord in Lombardy. This guy thinks Robert is a good fighter and marries his daughter to him and lands him. Robert meets him later on after they have a falling out and captures him, yanks out one tooth at a time asking "where is the gold" eventually he gets his gold and kills the Lord and claims all his lands.

Robert Guiscard and his wife Sikelgaita were the kind of bad-asses normally reserved for action movies and cheap fiction. Robert was a goddamn 6'6 Wargod that was a terror and legend in his own time. His wife Sikelgaita rode with the army and the two fought along side one another in full armor frequently. Famously she and Robert stood their ground after an initial Byzantine nearly buckled their line and Sikelgaita tormented the cowering Normans so badly that the retreating men held fast and turned the tide.

Anna Comnena writes about both of them in The Alexiad, calling him Achilles reborn and her Pallas in the flesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I like to think that Anna Komnene was somewhat jealous of women like Sikelgaita, considering how close Anna came to being Empress. Well, that is if you believe the Alexiad, which is, of course, pretty drat biased. :v:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Captain Beans posted:

Yea pretty much, it was a bunch of private armies lead by all sorts of nobles. Obviously the ones who communicated with each other more were the 'successful' ones.

Yeah, the First Crusade was more or less a clusterfuck in which individual warriors, bands and armies went over there with only the vaguest direction (LET'S GO GET US JERUSALEM!) and a hugely fragmented, ineffectual leadership. There was a bishop put in charge by the Pope (this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhemar_of_Le_Puy), but when it came down to it he couldn't get all the nobles to agree on anything (One guy, for example, decided to gently caress off on his own and conquer Edessa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_I_of_Jerusalem). The whole thing came within the brink of collapse on numerous occasions. It's such a miracle that the enterprise succeeded I'm not surprised the participants took it as a sign from God, but really they'd just had the good fortune to hit Palestine right when the Middle East was experiencing crippling internal division that left it weak and vulnerable.

Oddly, enough, the Third Crusade is considered the most organised one usually. Despite this it was far less successful than the first. Richard the Lionheart and Philip Augustus get most of the attention, and they (Mostly Richard) did end up coming to more or less a stalemate with Saladin, but Frederick Barbarossa was also involved. He's probably one of the most tragic characters in the whole debacle (though I guess his death probably saved more than a few lives). He built one of the largest, best equipped armies Europe had ever seen and had the poised to turn the tide of war decisively in favour of the Christians, but then he drowned crossing a river which crippled the morale of his men who promptly deserted en masse.

That's not to say communication didn't help, it sure as hell did in most cases. However, the piecemeal First Crusade succeeded purely based on good luck, and I guess really the more organised Third Crusade collapsed because of bad luck. It was always a losing battle, despite a few successes.

(Which reminds me - I'd really, really like to see a First Crusade starting bookmark. You'd think that would have been in the game at release. Seems odd that something called 'Crusader Kings' has precisely one crusading start - the Third).

e: Whoops, beaten on a lot of that. Also, the 'exporting violent nobles to the east' theory isn't just a throwaway line by some historian, it's actually fairly well accepted that it played some part. It's been a while since I studied this in particular, but I remember reading that it was actually a conscious, open position of the Papacy and was connected to the whole Peace/Truce of God (in a very basic nutshell, the church asking the nobles if they would mind not killing each other so very much over all of Europe all the time). It was a happy coincidence - the Pope wanted Jerusalem, he also wanted some degree of peace (at least for the clergy) in Europe. The cause of the latter problem was the solution to the first.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 13, 2013

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My wife just had my spymaster assassinated. Trying to figure out why, I noticed she had an ambition..."Become Spymaster." Clicking through character sheets to discover the motive behind an assassination is one of my favorite parts of the game. She was only the second-highest intrigue in my court after that but I gave her the role anyway. You keep what you kill :ese:

She then immediately, like the very next day, drunkenly blabbed about my plan to assassinate a powerful vassal, so maybe implementing Necromonger Law in Ireland wasn't the best idea.

e: she just reported her own plot to kill one of our courtiers. What the hell are you doing, Aignes? :psyduck:

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 13, 2013

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

My wife just had my spymaster assassinated. Trying to figure out why, I noticed she had an ambition..."Become Spymaster." Clicking through character sheets to discover the motive behind an assassination is one of my favorite parts of the game. She was only the second-highest intrigue in my court after that but I gave her the role anyway. You keep what you kill :ese:

She then immediately, like the very next day, drunkenly blabbed about my plan to assassinate a powerful vassal, so maybe implementing Necromonger Law in Ireland wasn't the best idea.

e: she just reported her own plot to kill one of our courtiers. What the hell are you doing, Aignes? :psyduck:

Does she have the "possessed" trait?
Possessed people can be a bit... unpredictable.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
So apparently Scotland is good for a ruler creator Zoroastrian because you get easy Holy Wars against weak Catholics who are busy with Norse.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

TinTower posted:

Arumba is one of the best CK2 LPers out there. :allears:

Just started watching his Hungary LP. The man rolls over Bulgaria like a boss and creates a 60000 strong army all within an hour real time :stare:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWB_BYENP53YI6ShQn8Od2L_

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ThomasPaine posted:

Oddly, enough, the Third Crusade is considered the most organised one usually. Despite this it was far less successful than the first. Richard the Lionheart and Philip Augustus get most of the attention, and they (Mostly Richard) did end up coming to more or less a stalemate with Saladin, but Frederick Barbarossa was also involved. He's probably one of the most tragic characters in the whole debacle (though I guess his death probably saved more than a few lives). He built one of the largest, best equipped armies Europe had ever seen and had the poised to turn the tide of war decisively in favour of the Christians, but then he drowned crossing a river which crippled the morale of his men who promptly deserted en masse.

Barbarossa actually was engaging in Muslim forces while crossing Anatolia. I believe he captured two or three fortresses before taking the plunge. I've heard that he was bathing in armor since he didn't trust the Muslims not to assassinate him (common with the Hashashim being founded in that timeframe.) Also I've read he was frustrated with the slow pace of the army over the bridge so he decided to ford the river with his Horse which floundered and he fell in fully armored and couldn't get out. After that all armies realize the vast importance of the navies which cuts Byzantium out entirely leading to the Fourth Crusade.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 13, 2013

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

The thing, though, that has always baffled me about the crusader states is how willingly ignorant their rulers strived to be in the face of reality. Like, as I understand it, the Kingdom of Jerusalem was a wildly unsustainable kingdom due in large part to the near constant deaths of its nobility. Now, sure they had a steady-ish stream of European freebooters who would make their way to the region, but, well they were capricious dickbags more bent on personal glory than actually making a lasting realm. See: Guy Lusignan.

Actually the rulers of the Crusader States were quite adroit at manipulating the Muslims; Kurds and the Arabs tribes into fighting each other. They understand quite gravely that if the Muslims had ever presented a unified front they would be ejected quite easily. The Holy Orders were the major problem. They distorted any sort of policy making by the rulers of the Crusader States. They just were way too large in manpower to be controlled. The foreigners just wanted action while it would not have been in the good interest of the state.

The Second Crusade instead of reclaiming Edessa attacked Damascas and let this guy out of the bag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nur_ad-Din_Zangi Who promptly sent Saladin into Egypt and the rest is history. The Crusader States were flawed because of their military setup. The diplomacy portion was top notch aside from Guy of Lusignan. Who is without a doubt a giant fuckup.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Kodo posted:

Just started watching his Hungary LP. The man rolls over Bulgaria like a boss and creates a 60000 strong army all within an hour real time :stare:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWB_BYENP53YI6ShQn8Od2L_

That LP only gets sillier from there, too!

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I was playing as the king of Akershus(Norway) earlier today, and went on an awesome conquest to unite Norway under one banner. No counties were left, and soon I almost had all of Norway(couldn't get the southern county in time because the Danish took it). But then I encountered the Sami people. I don't know if it's the Old Gods DLC that does it, but how the hell does the Kola-island manage to spew out constant 1000 men armies? Trying to conquer that stupid and, basically, worthless piece of land turned out almost impossible because I ruined all my economy trying to keep the levies up and needing to buy mercenary bands to fight against them. And in the meanwhile, my king died of stress and his awesome child succeded the throne but for some reason everyone hated him and pushed me to release someone I kept in prison for a while and when I did, she ended up going apeshit and conquering my counties in Sweden.

I guess my question is if some counties/factions are being "helped" from the AI when they encounter big and powerful armies? All other counties I took showed almost no resistance, but that loving Kola-island and their Sami chieftain(king?) kept on spawning huge thousand man armies. It couldn't be from buying mercenary bands either because that county is in the red zone economically, and the other county he owns only has one city and is also in an economically red zone.

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 13, 2013

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'm the Wali-Malik of Africa and wanna give away my dukal titles. My capital is in Cyrenaica and I can give away that duchy perfectly fine.
Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to give away the duchy or grand city of Tunis in this situation?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
This is a little tardy, but the Crusader Kings 2 Tutorial LP Megathread OP is up. First updates will be going up later tonight.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

What is the best West African province to start in if my ultimate goal is to reform my pagan religion and create a mighty African Empire? I'm using CK2plus which adds a lot more possible provinces to choose from.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know the event to make the Jomsvikings get founded? It never seemed to fire for me despite having the faith reformed and sitting on an easy 70% moral authority. I just barely hang on to Spain as Norse. I managed an amazing Prepared invasion on Leon then expanded slowly eating Navarra, Galacia, and Castille. As someone pointed out there is no Kingdom titles for Norse in Spain so I just gave myself the Kingdom of Leon since I was already Petty King of Leon. However, the game is becoming brutal difficult since my options for mercenaries include the Scottish Band and the Irish Band. Two. If I was up in Scandanvia I'd have 10. France and Aragon could beat me at any point now in Holy Wars, begging Denmark and Sweden for help is all that gets me through the wars. Currently Denmark is involved in a soon to be failed war in Germany and Sweden is going through another 3 pretender crisis at the same time. I just got invaded by an adventurer and lost Beja. But I'm not too fussed about it since i just Holy Warred it and completed the War months before he did his invasion of 30k troops from nowhere.

Interestingly enough about this game is that I had to invade Denmark and flip it to Norse long after I moved to Spain. From there I set it independent and he launches an invasion into Catholic Norway and wins. Then since he had two faith sites he then conquered Uppland and reformed the faith on the spot. Also Tengri reformed under mega-Cumania. HRE is dead. It consists of Jerusalem which has yet to break off. Everyone else decided the Empire was too main stream.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 14, 2013

MrSaturday
May 1, 2012

Kubrick posted:

What is the best West African province to start in if my ultimate goal is to reform my pagan religion and create a mighty African Empire? I'm using CK2plus which adds a lot more possible provinces to choose from.

I've been wondering that myself. An African game, whether Pagan, Muslim or Christian is the next logical choice.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

So it appears Old Gods is not yet getting any discounts, on Steam or anywhere else?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Has anyone figured out how to survive as the Marzpanate of Gilan? Or am I just pointlessly bashing my head against an impossible scenario?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DrSunshine posted:

Has anyone figured out how to survive as the Marzpanate of Gilan? Or am I just pointlessly bashing my head against an impossible scenario?

It probably just takes a ton of good luck - I do not think I have seen anyone say that they have been successful and I have never seen the AI last very long down there either.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Been playing as a republic lately, and I've got a question. When I wasn't Doge, the sitting Doge took over one of my trade ports, and now that I've usurped the bastard, I can't do the same. Is taking over a trade port of a rival family that's still part of your republic an AI-only decision, or can players do it too?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I think you have to have less trade ports than they do.

Anou
May 29, 2006
Hello there!
That's pretty much true, I'm finishing up a game as them and it's doable if you're either lucky or willing to save scum a bit. Use those event troops you get at the beginning to storm the smaller Muslims when they go to war with someone else or break out into civil war. Should be able to get a Duchy, probably Azerbaijan with them, then you have to be a vulture and keep on preying on on weaker states. The Abbasid's are the biggest threat, but hopefully when they holy war you you'll have picked up a bit of land and gold. When they attack you need to know how to abuse the AI so they chase a slightly less weaker army way past their supply lines into a mountain and then reinforce your army when they finally attack you. Hope that the dice roll your way and that your Generals have good martial score and good traits like Holy Warrior. Organizer works too and gives you a bit of leeway for the baiting part. It took me a couple of reloads to get the timing down right but when you do and if the rolls are right then you should be able to fight them off. Should be able to force a white peace after you do this to their armies once or twice, then you just need to watch them like a hawk for a decadence invasion so you can swoop in and kill them off. I preferred to take land in the Mesopotamia area first before moving onto Persia since it's so rich, but it probably didn't matter. From there, you can become the Saoshyant and roll in the money and have the best eugenics religion in the game.

http://imgur.com/8V7AJ9o

This game was the only time I felt that having a good military ruler was good because you can pick and choose the traits so you can maximize your battle combats.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Anou posted:

best eugenics religion in the game.

Why is this, the marrying your siblings thing? Doesn't that give you tons of inbred kids?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ran into a little bug with ck2+, the Jewish settlement removal event will fire constantly when at war, giving your liege massive amounts of gold and hilarious amount of negative piety.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

NihilCredo posted:

So it appears Old Gods is not yet getting any discounts, on Steam or anywhere else?

There hasn't been a CK2 flash sale or daily yet. It's not impossible.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I figure the CK2 thread would know this: Is there a name for the type of succession law where a wife will inherit her husband's titles if he dies (or vice versa)? So you marry the King of England and have him killed, and you are now Queen of England or something

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sonendar v.1.05.2

quote:

Important Changes:
---------------------
- Fixed Rozhan Gold Scheme so that it functions
- Vassals who bend the knee due to the Gold Scheme will get permanent -50 opinion penalty to the ruler
- Added flavor events and decisions for Driftwood King
- Added minimap
- Added Aurora Festival event chain and decision for Aaqiuk cultures
- Added Bear Quest event chain and decision for followers of the Norrgods
- Added Rozhan Conquest CB: When one has declared oneself Merchant-King one may be able to conquer neighboring counties -- so long
as one has at least 15,000 gold in the bank. On declaring, you will lose 8000 gold.
- Added Mercenary Bands
- Realms that follow the Driftwood King get a basic boost to tax revenues, except Rozhans who are already special
- Added Kingdom of Jezrah territories, Corsair Fleets
- Added the Four Treasure Fleets of Ghanipur
- Many Driftwood King events and decisions

Bonus image:

poo poo. gently caress.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 14, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

How fitting that fictional Guan Yu has no majestic beard.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Boing posted:

I figure the CK2 thread would know this: Is there a name for the type of succession law where a wife will inherit her husband's titles if he dies (or vice versa)? So you marry the King of England and have him killed, and you are now Queen of England or something

I believe the legal term is "usurpation."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

How fitting that fictional Guan Yu has no majestic beard.

It's just funny because he spawned automatically, I didn't make him!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Great now I remembered that CK2 Rot3K would be the super double best thing ever and still doesn't exist :(

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
CK2Plus is now considered functional for the current patches and expansions?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

YouTuber posted:

I haven't had any problems.

Edit: also, to the guy asking about West Africa, Ghana (or whatever House Cisse runs at the start) and Gao are the traditional starts, although you can probably manage as most anywhere that isn't [random useless desert county].

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 14, 2013

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

YouTuber posted:

Does anyone know the event to make the Jomsvikings get founded? It never seemed to fire for me despite having the faith reformed and sitting on an easy 70% moral authority. I just barely hang on to Spain as Norse.

For them to form under normal conditions, it must be at least 920 and one of the following counties must be owned by a Norse Pagan, reformed or not, and have an unbuilt holding slot available: Stettin, Wolgast, Rugen, Werle. Mean time to happen for these events is 620, so it may take a while.

If you want to fire off the event from console:

Stettin - event TOG.4004
Wolgast - event TOG.4009
Rugen - event TOG.4010
Werle - event TOG.4020

These are all found in the \events folder in the oldgods_historical_events.txt file.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

YouTuber posted:

It still has some bugs, Wiz will be updating it soon (possibly for the last time) so hopefully it will be 100% working correctly after that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This is a fun bug.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Excuse you, but Lord Guan did not stutter. <:mad:>

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Omar_Comin posted:

For them to form under normal conditions, it must be at least 920 and one of the following counties must be owned by a Norse Pagan, reformed or not, and have an unbuilt holding slot available: Stettin, Wolgast, Rugen, Werle. Mean time to happen for these events is 620, so it may take a while.

If you want to fire off the event from console:

Stettin - event TOG.4004
Wolgast - event TOG.4009
Rugen - event TOG.4010
Werle - event TOG.4020

These are all found in the \events folder in the oldgods_historical_events.txt file.

Yeah, three of those counties have been under Norse control for over 100 years. Time to fire it by hand. Really appreciate it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Caufman posted:

Excuse you, but Lord Guan did not stutter. <:mad:>

How would you know? You've never met the guy. <:raise:>

Anyway, Sonendar hotfix. The earlier version was a bit broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Fintilgin posted:

Crosspostin' from the main Paradox thread.

It was bugging me that the CKII and EUIV maps were lit from the lower right instead of the upper left as is 'normal', so I fixed it.

Turns out you can open up the world_normal_height.bmp file, invert the red and blue channels, and have the game lit from the 'proper' direction. Maybe it's subtle and 'spergy', but I think it looks better, and am totally doing the same thing first thing to EUIV.

Here's the inverted .bmp if anyone else wants it. Throw it in the map directory.

Coming back to this yet again, I kinda want to do this for all my mods, but I dunno how. Is there some sort of super secret way to invert channels you can elaborate on?

• Locked thread