Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Baron Bifford posted:

Daemon Prince Mortarion might be a little different now. Heck, he was a bit off before his corruption.

Switch "weep" with "vomit" and it's pretty much the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

UberJumper posted:

:wtc: What book was that in?
The greatest WH40K fanfiction ever written.

CreepyGuy9000
Jul 9, 2013
What do you guys consider to be the worst 40k book to date ?

The Primarchs was probably the worst one I have personally had the misfortune of reading.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

CreepyGuy9000 posted:

The Primarchs was probably the worst one I have personally had the misfortune of reading.

Battle of the Abyss was one of the most awful 40k books i have ever read to date. It was completely nonsensical.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

I get that, but I'm in disagreement on how much "big" matters to "big and scary and monstrous" because a guy the size of a house who can't even ride around in a normal car or spaceship but has to be carried around like cargo isn't a more scary super-intelligent demigod, he's clifford the big red dog. I just think it makes the whole setup sillier instead of scarier or cooler.

But the Primarchs don't ride around in 'normal' spaceships, they have their vehicles and equipment designed for them because they are literal demigods in Imperial society. Why do you think Imperial ships have such gigantic interiors? Every major piece of architecture built in M31 gets described as 'cavernous' or 'towering' because its designed to fit giants.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CreepyGuy9000 posted:

There's far worse out there. See: C.S. Goto and Henry Zou.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Anything by CS Goto. The Dawn of War book was so bad that I didn't touch another BL book for almost a year.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Can-O-Raid posted:

But the Primarchs don't ride around in 'normal' spaceships, they have their vehicles and equipment designed for them because they are literal demigods in Imperial society. Why do you think Imperial ships have such gigantic interiors? Every major piece of architecture built in M31 gets described as 'cavernous' or 'towering' because its designed to fit giants.

But they really don't have special vehicle designs. They seem to ride around in regular Astartes craft. Otherwise Forge World would already be selling them.

Imperial ships have gigantic interiors for stuff like control rooms because they're megalomaniacs. The regular parts of the ship are described as cramped and crappy, just like the rooms in an actual ship.

"Demigod" means half-god, half-man. The key to the mythic concept is that they are liminal beings - having aspects of the divine but at a scale that can interact with normal people and be part of human society like a peer instead of like a literal god that interferes with human affairs through tricks, disguises, and intermediaries, and with human attitudes and interests instead of the unfathomable whims and immortal motivations of the gods.

Hercules wasn't a 20 foot monster that shot fire from his two heads. He was a dude badder and stronger than any normal person because of his divine lineage, but in the end he was still a man who interacted with normal society, not a monster completely out of touch and out of scale to it.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 14, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Cream_Filling posted:

But they really don't have special vehicle designs. They seem to ride around in regular Astartes craft. Otherwise Forge World would already be selling them.

Imperial ships have gigantic interiors for stuff like control rooms because they're megalomaniacs. The regular parts of the ship are described as cramped and crappy, just like the rooms in an actual ship.

"Demigod" means half-god, half-man. The key to the mythic concept is that they are liminal beings - having aspects of the divine but at a scale that can interact with normal people and be part of human society like a peer instead of like a literal god that interferes with human affairs through tricks, disguises, and intermediaries, and with human attitudes and interests instead of the unfathomable whims and immortal motivations of the gods.

Hercules wasn't a 20 foot monster that shot fire from his two heads. He was a dude badder and stronger than any normal person because of his divine lineage, but in the end he was still a man who interacted with normal society, not a monster completely out of touch and out of scale to it.

Didn't he also hang out with a small jewish man nicknamed Pretzie in 70's new york?

Don't deny it, you'd read Guilliman in New York too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bunnyofdoom posted:

Didn't he also hang out with a small jewish man nicknamed Pretzie in 70's new york?

Don't deny it, you'd read Guilliman in New York too.

Played by Robert "Girlyman" Strong

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Cream_Filling posted:

Played by Robert "Girlyman" Strong

Of course, his Ultramar accent is so strong that he's dubbed over by Leman Russ.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Can-O-Raid posted:

Well since pretty much all imperial ships are built according to the STC's which come from the dark age of technology, isn't it possible they are so massive/towering/cavernous because they originally were made so they could also house/hold men of iron?

In First and Only they seem to describe them as massive and towering.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm re-reading Eisenhorn since a friend (non-English speaker) of mine asked me to translate the first few chapters for her, and man, I just love it every time.
The whole "gently caress no, I'm an Inquisitor" dialogue in the third chapter, together with the whole "speaking to the audience" thing from the first two chapters really establish a strong protagonist.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cream_Filling posted:

I agree to an extent, but I think you're failing to consider two important things. One is that primarchs aren't really Demi-gods, they are full blooded, divinely created beings. Gods, full stop. Lesser than the Emperor, sure, but thats like saying Doombreed is lesser than Khorne. Regular Astartes are Demi-gods, seeing as they were created from both regular men and a divine spark. Second, the society these gods live and interact in is weird as poo poo. Navigators? Warp? Psykers? Being able to interact with those sorts of things and still be, for the setting, 'normal,' makes the Hercules comparison fall apart. Hercules lived and adventured in a world the Greeks were already familiar with. The Primarchs, on the other hand, live and aadventure in a world completely alien to our experience.

On the other hand, if a writer chooses to ignore all this in his or her next pew pew spacemans story, nothing will make me more 'right' than them or you, considering the lee-way BL writers get.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Hercules saw some weird poo poo, too.

I'm just imagining the logistics otherwise.

"The Primarch wants to inspect the defenses on the south of the city."
"His stormbird is still grounded for repairs."
"Uh, ok. Maybe we can commandeer a dump truck because he doesn't fit inside our rhinos."

"Take the Primarch to the main strategium. Here, you'll need these plasma cutters to cut a hole for him."

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
All these vehicles and stuff are already cut to huge scale, I mean, a dude in Terminator armor is significantly larger than a normal marine, and they aren't bumping their heads on door frames.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

EyeRChris posted:

I can't recall the title of the book but it was one of the short story collection Horus Heresy books. I want to say The Primarchs.

The worst part of it is that all of that poo poo is now canon and we have to live with it.

I like to pretend a lot of poo poo didn't really happen, like that god awful Nemesis book.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The one where they somehow bound a daemon to an untouchable?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

EyeRChris posted:

Not to mention the torture/foreplay of Fulgrum where Fabulous Bile and the other children were fascinated by this chance to see what makes a Primarch and how much they can endure. And then came the butt plugs...

The part that amazes me is that it's the same author. I could understand if some hack had taken the story and gone in a :wtc: direction, but this was the same guy who wrote Fulgrim. He wrote a good long, deep (for BL) back story with a tragic fall and a dark ending. It may not win any awards, but it fleshed out Fulgrim nicely.

At what point did Graham Neil wake up and think "hmm, I don't like how I left Fulgrim stuck in a painting while a demon wears his body , I'll have to retcon that. What's the best way to do this? I know... BUTT PLUGS!!!"

I will happily sit next to my wife reading my books about pew pew spacemen without feeling the slightest bit ashamed (she asks me when my next "Catholics in Space" book is coming). But reading that made me feel like I was standing on the precipice of Hentai or something. She asked if my book was good. I had to keep a straight face as I said "it's...not the best".

I worry that one day she'll pick up one of the collection at random to see what I'm reading and it will be that one...

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 14, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The entire fantasy genre originated in history nerds nerding out on history without having to be constrained by how real life turned out and the limited historical record. Unfortunately, pick something that's not as obscure as you think to reference and integrate it poorly into a work, and you get one of those situations where you end up looking much less smart than you think you are.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

DO IT TO IT posted:

Speaking of recommendations that aren't in the OP, are there any solid books that feature the Tyranids as the primary antagonists? I like the lore of how stuff like Tyranid weapons function a lot.

Warriors of Ultramar by Graham McNeill was pretty f'ing awesome. When anyone asks about Tyranids I point them to this book. It's brutal, and a lot of fun. I think it is only available in the Omnibus. I don't think you need to have read the previous book to get on with this one. It's 40k. People died, there are heroes, assholes, and fist pumping.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 14, 2013

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

Dog_Meat posted:

The part that amazes me is that it's the same author. I could understand if some hack had taken the story and gone in a :wtc: direction, but this was the same guy who wrote Fulgrim. He wrote a good long, deep (for BL) back story with a tragic fall and a dark ending. It may not win any awards, but it fleshed out Fulgrim nicely.

At what point did Graham Neil wake up and think "hmm, I don't like how I left Fulgrim stuck in a painting while a demon wears his body , I'll have to retcon that. What's the best way to do this? I know... BUTT PLUGS!!!"

I will happily sit next to my wife reading my books about pew pew spacemen without feeling the slightest bit ashamed (she asks me when my next "Catholics in Space" book is coming). But reading that made me feel like I was standing on the precipice of Hentai or something. She asked if my book was good. I had to keep a straight face as I said "it's...not the best".

I worry that one day she'll pick up one of the collection at random to see what I'm reading and it will be that one...

I just love the transition in torture they had in that book. First its all scaples and electroshock. Then potato peelers and wood cutting tools and they decided Fulgrum had too big of an erection after all that so they said gently caress it...bring out the space marine helmet sized butt plug and show no mercy!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Man, I know I shouldn't, but I'm tempted to read it only because I can't wrap my head around a Space Marine buttplug.

Also, how did you guys find Angels of Darkness?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Azran posted:

Man, I know I shouldn't, but I'm tempted to read it only because I can't wrap my head around a Space Marine buttplug.

Also, how did you guys find Angels of Darkness?

drat you for making me dig it out, but

Graham McNeil, possibly while on cocaine posted:

Fulgrim kicked Marius away and tore loose the opened device the Third Captain had worked upon with a sigh of regret. It fell to the floor of the apothecarion with a wet clatter, and rolled like a viscous flower of red stained iron.

'A pity', said Fulgrim. 'I was beginning to enjoy that.'

This was not taken from some fan fiction from some dark corner of the internet. This is in an actual book. On my shelf. Someone paid an established author with actual money for this.

And I just transcribed it for the internet...

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Cream_Filling posted:

I'm pretty sure that in Deliverance Lost, Corax can't really fit into the gene seed laboratory that the regular astartes can. So it is a thing.

Also, the implication is that the Emperor could fit into the laboratory. This is in the same book wherein when Corax meets the Emperor he briefly sees the Emperor as a normal-sized guy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
You know how ADB loves multiple-meaning titles? When he gets to the bit of Black Legion history where Fabulous Bile clones Horus, he should call it 'Emperor's Child.'

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JerryLee posted:

This has always been funny to me simply because in game-mechanical terms terminator armor can't withstand plasma.

Maybe the people wearing it to work on reactors just hoped to get really lucky with their constant 5++ saves. :v:
A lot of stuff just stopped making sense after 2nd ed TBH. Back then Terminators had a 3+ save only.

On two dice, but still....

Cream_Filling posted:

They're still plenty inhuman considering that even the least psychic of them is basically spiritually radioactive to the point where he throws off interstellar communications if he gets too close to the astropaths. And that nobody can even quite remember or agree on what they look like because the details of their appearance seem to shift and play weird tricks on human perception and memory.
To be fair, Dante wears a cast of Sanguinius' face.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
re: The Primarchs

There's one good story there, which is The Serpent Beneath by Rob Sanders. It's about the Alpha Legion and it's pretty clever. There's an e-book copy if you don't want to slog through the rest of the stories.

re: worst 40k book

I guess it's the Blood Angels Omnibus, which was outright trite and boring and full of Sanguinius wanking.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

DirtyRobot posted:

I'm pretty sure that in Deliverance Lost, Corax can't really fit into the gene seed laboratory that the regular astartes can. So it is a thing.

Also, the implication is that the Emperor could fit into the laboratory. This is in the same book wherein when Corax meets the Emperor he briefly sees the Emperor as a normal-sized guy.

There's also the custom built quarters in the palace for each the Primarchs where everything is oversize and designed for them. Corax has a serene, dimly lit suite to make him feel at home. Makes you wonder what Angron's quarters would be like. Word is you should also be careful opening Mortarion's door

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 15, 2013

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I just finished Void Stalker from night lords, Night Lords is probably the best 40k series i have ever read. ADB did an amazing job with the series and the characters.

A question:

Who is Decimus supposed to be? His name follows the same naming scheme as Octavia (8) and Septimus (7) so would he be their sons son?

p.s. Uzas :smith:

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 15, 2013

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

UberJumper posted:

I just finished Void Stalker from night lords, Night Lords is probably the best 40k series i have ever read. ADB did an amazing job with the series and the characters.

A question:

Who is Decimus supposed to be? His name follows the same naming scheme as Octavia (8) and Septimus (7) so would he be their sons son?

There was a 8th slave that was picked up during blood reaver IIRC.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Chiwie posted:

There was a 8th slave that was picked up during blood reaver IIRC.

That is pretty grimdark :black101:, but fits perfectly with the 40k setting.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Arquinsiel posted:

To be fair, Dante wears a cast of Sanguinius' face.

Though that doesn't actually prove anything: there are psyker powers in 40K (in Dark Heresy specifically, as 'Biomancy') that let you change your physical appearance.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

UberJumper posted:

A question:

Octavia is the eighth slave and Nonus, who dies is the ninth.

There's no definite answer but it's strongly suggested that Decimus is suppose to be Octavia and Septimus' son who Variel kidnapped and brought to the legion. Decimus was then implanted with Talos' geneseed and is suppose to be compatible so he has Talos' gifts but doesn't suffer from his curse.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Dog_Meat posted:

The part that amazes me is that it's the same author. I could understand if some hack had taken the story and gone in a :wtc: direction, but this was the same guy who wrote Fulgrim. He wrote a good long, deep (for BL) back story with a tragic fall and a dark ending.

poo poo PAINTING

DirtyRobot posted:

Big E is human-sized; whenever he seems physically huge and it's not an allegory or psychic illusion, it's because he's wearing hugeass armor.

The primarchs on the other hand are all 2.5m or taller, and even Alpharius and Omegon are taller than standard astartes. However, they're not 5 meters tall or something as absurd as that, and any vehicle that can carry terminators can accommodate them as well - a point is made that they're a bit bigger than marines in tactical dreadnaught armor even when not wearing plate that significantly increases their bulk.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Were the Thousand Sons the only Legion not renamed after they found their primarch? They seem to have gotten the name from the Emperor himself.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Nephilm posted:

poo poo PAINTING

Ok, I'll give you that. But an artist going batshit and painting with the blood of people she murders isn't too much of a stretch in a dark Slaanesh story. And it's described without detail, just enough so you know that she's up to her elbows in the 40k version of some Tracy Emin poo poo.

Reflection Crack'd is literally Fulgrim being willingly rear end raped by his sons, with details of his magnificent body and insertion, and through all of this he's taking to them (with the occasional soft sigh)

Fulgrim got gradually crazier until the orgy opera rapey murder party felt like a natural progression. Mirror Crack'd is like McNeil woke up with a hangover, realised he had a deadline and copied and pasted a story from some fan-slash-fiction site.

DirtyRobot posted:

Is the star child/sensai still a thing? Because if the Emperor was supposed to have had human children and he's a 12 foot war machine, it's going to raise a few questions.

You know what? Let's not go there. That way lies the path of Slaanesh, tentacles and primarch rear end dildos...

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

excerpt from "The Primarchs" posted:

Marius followed Lucius’s example and selected an instrument of torture from the collection of devices Fabius had laid out. He turned the pear-shaped device around in his hands, twisting a metal cog handle that gradually spread the leaves of the pear apart. Satisfied, he returned it to its original shape and moved down the gurney to place the device between the primarch’s legs.
Are they talking about this thing?

I've always imagined the Emperor's Children as the Cenobites from Hellraiser.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

Are they talking about this thing?

I've always imagined the Emperor's Children as the Cenobites from Hellraiser.

That was the impression, yes. Although I imagine it would be some Mars crafted dark age of tech version of it with a machine spirit you REALLY want to appease before use. Probably based on the STC design for a drop pod.

And they're definetly inspired by the Cenobites, with the chattering teeth, taught skin and mutilated features. Although I think Pinhead should wear garish pink and rock a guitar shaped cannon in the next goddawful sequel.

I only recently came back to SA after a long hiatus and I'm a little concerned that the bulk of my posts have been about a pulp book describing the anal rape of a demigod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Dog_Meat posted:

Ok, I'll give you that. But an artist going batshit and painting with the blood of people she murders isn't too much of a stretch in a dark Slaanesh story. And it's described without detail, just enough so you know that she's up to her elbows in the 40k version of some Tracy Emin poo poo.

It's Graham McNeil; to say he's hit or miss is an understatement. Let's stop talking about demigod sexual torture and instead I ask, any good books in the last 5 months?