Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redsoxism
Nov 19, 2012
I'm not against theorizing. If someone who hasn't read any further into the series comes to the same conclusion regarding Rosatrice independently, I'm fine with that. But if someone else, having also read the series, comes in here with an agenda to push their opinions onto others (like the one who started the Rosatrice discussions), I just feel like I have to push back a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackster
Nov 10, 2012

redsoxism posted:

I'm not against theorizing. If someone who hasn't read any further into the series comes to the same conclusion regarding Rosatrice independently, I'm fine with that. But if someone else, having also read the series, comes in here with an agenda to push their opinions onto others (like the one who started the Rosatrice discussions), I just feel like I have to push back a little.

I haven't read the series. Also, it's kind of a dumb theory which I based completely on the fact that Maria calls her mom a bad witch, which probably is just a coincidence. Like, for the first episode, you could probably make a theory with almost any of the characters as the murderer. I just chose Rosa because it sounds kind of believable in a ridiculous way. Crazy theories are always the best theories.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

redsoxism posted:

Can we please leave all this Rosatrice nonsense behind for now? There are just way too many reasons to do so but it would be difficult to state them here without spoiling anything. Suffice it to say, it would just be completely disrespectful to the entire series if we continue to indulge in this train of thought.
You are right, it was Beatrice and she did it with magic!

redsoxism posted:

Also, regarding the boiler room in EP1:

"Normally, they probably would've started discussing the origin of that violent stench filling the boiler room.

...But after they saw Kanon, who was lying on the ground as if he were drowning in an ocean of his own blood, the stench wasn't important any more."

Has it occurred to anyone else that the "stench" in the boiler room might be hiding or masking something else mentioned here?
Uh, it was the burning corpse of Kinzo which they later found...

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

redsoxism posted:

Can we please leave all this Rosatrice nonsense behind for now? There are just way too many reasons to do so but it would be difficult to state them here without spoiling anything. Suffice it to say, it would just be completely disrespectful to the entire series if we continue to indulge in this train of thought.

But isn't saying this exact thing a spoiler? You're clearly implying that Rosatrice is bunk somehow by it being "disrespectful" to the series.

Any theory that encourages people to re-read things and look for clues is a good thing. The whole point of a mystery like this is for people to group together to try to solve it. You don't have to "push" anything, if someone has read it and wants to lead people down a false trail, who cares? It'd make for more interesting discussion than if everyone figured out the answer on episode 2/8 because of some "helpful" posts by you.

It's a mystery series written by a guy famous for having (Higurashi spoiler) brain controlling parasites and government conspiracy in his last series.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

redsoxism posted:

Y'know it is more satisfying for people to reach the answers and come to an understanding on their own instead of having someone over their shoulder say "no the correct answers/themes are this and this", like a teacher in a bad literature class.

Also people who have already completed the series for themselves should really avoid posting anything with regard to speculation, whether it be helpful hint or purposeful misdirection. Let the readers drown in a sea of theories like we once did.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

The 19th Person posted:

Y'know it is more satisfying for people to reach the answers and come to an understanding on their own instead of having someone over their shoulder say "no the correct answers/themes are this and this", like a teacher in a bad literature class.

Also people who have already completed the series for themselves should really avoid posting anything with regard to speculation, whether it be helpful hint or purposeful misdirection. Let the readers drown in a sea of theories like we once did.
This. It's why I've been purposely avoiding commenting on that sort of thing. Means I don't have a lot to say in general, but I do add input where I see room for it (like commenting on the differences between the original and PS3 graphics).

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I've read ahead, and even I think the Rosatrice theory can be valid.

Also I've heard there are a number of alternate theories out already about the whole thing...

redsoxism
Nov 19, 2012
Ok, let me explain my reasoning here. While I acknowledge it's possible that Jackster is telling the truth that he hasn't read ahead and independently came up with his "crazy" (his words, not mine) Rosatrice theory on his own (in which case I apologize for my earlier remarks), there are just way too many elements to the theory that he proposed that suggested that the theory came from either 1) someone who has already read most of the series or 2) another source who has already been famous for proposing the same theory (for spoiler purposes, I won't say any more than this). That is why I responded like I did in my first post. Otherwise, I've also enjoyed hearing the various theories and ideas that many other people here (who haven't read ahead) have proposed, no matter how on- or off-base they seem. As long as people are genuinely theorizing and not pushing an agenda, I am all for it.

The 19th Person posted:

I completely agree. I only said what I said because I was (and still am) convinced that someone else had violated this very rule while pretending to be a reader who hasn't read ahead.

Bholder posted:

I've read ahead, and even I think the Rosatrice theory can be valid.

Also I've heard there are a number of alternate theories out already about the whole thing...

If you've already read the series, then this is definitely not the place to get into a Rosatrice debate (or any debate among people who have already read the series).

redsoxism fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 20, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Besides it's pretty obvious that nobody can be Beatrice. :colbert:

She's just a witch that's killing everybody because that's what witches do.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

redsoxism posted:

I completely agree. I only said what I said because I was (and still am) convinced that someone else had violated this very rule while pretending to be a reader who hasn't read ahead.

Any mystery worth its salt has red herrings and possible alternate reader explanations before all info is known. It is the reader's job to sift through these misdirects, whether they be in-text or a deliberate misdirection, or someone "pushing an agenda". If you do spot someone posting very real specific spoilers under the guise of speculation, then the best you can do without inadvertently spoiling others is PM Shiny777 about it. If you see someone supposedly laying a trap of a false theory or wrong reading with hints of greater knowledge, you don't bring attention to it, you let the trap spring, and then let the work speak for itself for correcting waylaid readers. Your crusade to keep the theorizing and speculation "pure" is backfiring horribly.

The 19th Person fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 21, 2013

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Not seeing how somebody couldn't jump to this conclusion without reading ahead.

I mean, Rosa and Jessica are pretty suspicious already just because they are blonde.
Heck when I first saw Beatrice's new look, I immediately thought it was Jessica just because their clothes looked similar.

redsoxism
Nov 19, 2012

The 19th Person posted:

Any mystery worth its salt has red herrings and possible alternate reader explanations before all info is known. It is the reader's job to sift through these misdirects, whether they be in-text or a deliberate misdirection, or someone "pushing an agenda". If you do spot someone posting very real specific spoilers under the guise of speculation, then the best you can do without inadvertently spoiling others is PM Shiny777 about it. If you see someone supposedly laying a trap of a false theory or wrong reading with hints of greater knowledge, you don't bring attention to it, you let the trap spring, and then let the work speak for itself for correcting waylaid readers. Your crusade to keep the theorizing and speculation "pure" is backfiring horribly.

The only thing I've tried to do so far is to call out intellectual dishonesty as I see it. I don't think I've provided any additional "false" speculation under the guise of a reader since I've already openly admitted to having read the series. You argue that intellectual dishonesty is perfectly fine as long as nothing is spoiled because it is all part of the reader's experience of the mystery. I don't know what your experience was reading through this series, but, hypothetically, if I found out after I had read Umineko that Ryukishi07 had been anonymously posting in message boards to guide readers toward or away from the truth that I had reached, I certainly wouldn't consider it an appropriate part of the reader's experience, particularly because he would have been intellectually dishonest in pretending to have been among the readers. On the other hand if R07 had credibly identified himself as the author prior to making his posts, then I would have considered my experience to be untainted since I'd be able to decide for myself how best to interpret the subtext behind his statements. Umineko's mystery already has enough red herrings and traps for its readers without the need for additional intellectually dishonest interference.

While I agree that there were probably better and subtler ways that I could have approached this problem, I hope to at least bring to the readers' attention that there are individuals out there who have read the series and are willing to disguise themselves as fellow readers in order to get you to buy into their interpretation of the mysteries of Umineko, however close to or far from the truth it may be. I believe that such a thing has no place here and belongs in another forum where spoilers are not an issue so that open debate of such theories can be encouraged. To post their interpretations here (under the guise of a fellow reader) where debate of such theories is (for now, at least) compromised by spoiler precautions is not only intellectually dishonest, but downright cowardly (almost as if they are trying to avoid a true debate elsewhere in an open forum). Also, if anyone who has already read the series is attempting to set additional traps for the readers, at least have the decency to disclose the fact that you've already read the series prior to posting so that the readers can best decide how they should interpret the subtext behind your statements.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holy crap shut up you're ruining perfectly good discussion.

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Umineko: Where there are theories about the theories.

But in all seriousness, I think there might have been more discussion about where this theory came from than about what it contains. That's a little sad.

redsoxism
Nov 19, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Holy crap shut up you're ruining perfectly good discussion.

My point is that I have no problem with other people providing all the red herrings or theories that they want to the discussion as long as they aren't pretending to be someone that they're not. People who have already read the series have no obligation to provide any hints regarding the subtext of their statements as long as they don't pretend to be a fellow reader. This kind of dishonesty is what ruins perfectly good discussions.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
My eyes glazed over. And I enjoy reading textbooks.

I enjoy reading the craziest of theories so go hog wild, goons!

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I also get annoyed by spoilers in other threads, but generally I find it productive to assume that people are not in fact in deep cover dropping hidden spoilers passed off as speculation in order to ruin others' experience for no reason. (Usually the spoilers are much more blatant than that)

It may or may not be the case, but it certainly makes for a better thread than calling people out and causing a massive derail.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

redsoxism posted:

My point is that I have no problem with other people providing all the red herrings or theories that they want to the discussion as long as they aren't pretending to be someone that they're not. People who have already read the series have no obligation to provide any hints regarding the subtext of their statements as long as they don't pretend to be a fellow reader. This kind of dishonesty is what ruins perfectly good discussions.

Since this thread seems to be your first time posting in SA, just to make things clear: The rule here is that if your speculation is based in what hasn't been seen yet, you either don't give it or you give it in spoiler tags. No matter what other people have done, including calling people out. There is no hinting at what's going to come or saying outright you know what's next and giving red herrings, and if you think someone else speculating is actually someone that knows for a fact what's to come, you don't say anything because whether or not you're right, that kind of callout is itself a spoiler even if you happen to be wrong about them. Just don't say anything, so people that are unspoiled can stay unspoiled.

Agree with it or not, but those are the spoiler rules on SA, in LP, at least: if it hasn't happened/been revealed yet and you know what's going to happen/be revealed, and we know that you know, don't say anything about it, true or false. There is no guiding discussion, or even sly "oh really? Just wait and see" type comments.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Part Thirty-One: The Day of Rest

After receiving approval, Kanon entered the honored guest room, pushing the lunch serving cart.

...The servants called this room the honored guest room of the witch.

That was because Kinzo strictly ordered that it always be cleaned so that it could be used at any time.

...Even so, guests would not be allowed into this room no matter who they were.

...That's why, at some point, the servants had started calling it the honored guest room, which was supposed to be set aside only to greet the special person Kinzo waited for..., the witch from that portrait.

And today, Kanon knew that this was exactly right...

Outside, the rain was no longer falling weakly.

...As she looked out at the beautiful rose garden, which had been finished after several days of work for today's sake, and saw the winds and rain ravage it, was she lost in some sentimental feelings?

Kanon was not able to tell anything more from her back, which was facing him.

: "...I will prepare the meal. ...Beatrice-sama."

Kanon went out of his way to call out the witch's name, ...because he wanted to make her turn around.

He wanted to know.

...He wanted to know whether the witch who had tempted him and Shannon in the past really had appeared again.

...When he did, ...the witch whose name had been called, ...laughed, her back still facing him.
Holding back her voice, she laughed.

Kanon was startled...

It was almost as though she had read his mind and knew that he had called out to her, hoping to make her turn around...

: "...Yes. ...He is a cook called Gohda, and was employed in recent years."

: "...There's nothing better than being skilled at cooking. ...Gourmets form the three pillars of pleasure for living in the human world. Not missing out on this is the secret to not getting bored after a thousand years. ...*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*."

Kanon and the witch's eyes met.

...And, she grinned...

Without a doubt. Certainly...

This was without a doubt, the witch from that day, Beatrice...

The witch that no one but he and Shannon could see in the past finally held a form, and had arrived openly as a guest from the entrance hall...

Kanon tried not to forget to be polite to the guest for the time being.

...But dark clouds began to enshroud his heart because of the visit of this suspicious witch, and on the day of the family conference...

: "It seems you are uneasy about what I plan to do now that I have appeared. ...Is that so...?"

: "..."

Kanon didn't force an answer.

...This witch probably reads minds.

...So it was pointless to go to all the trouble of saying it out loud.

...Of course, even his resisting heart would be read.

So the witch giggled at Kanon's childish resistance.

: "...I came to resolve my final promise with Kinzo."

: "Your final promise with, ...Master...?"

However, uncertainty began to gather in his heart.

...The story of this witch couldn't be anything good.

: "...*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*! There's no mistake! The story of a witch isn't anything good. You are correct. Be that as it may, witches are used like scissors. ...Sometimes, there are people like King Solomon who succeed in great exploits. ...However, in most cases, one does not meet with a good fate such as those described in fairy tales, right? *cackle*cackle*...! ...But Kinzo is crafty. He has taken in even the interest I am collecting for his own ceremony. Is he an absurd magician to surpass even me? ...Or else a fool possessed by madness? ...Interesting. Truly interesting...!"

Kanon couldn't guess what the witch was muttering and laughing about.

...All he knew was, ...anything that would make this witch laugh, must have the exact opposite meaning to the rest of them.

...And in the back of his mind, the horrifying words the witch had spat at him in the past began to be revived.

: "...My beloved hometown, the sweetfish river running through it. You who seek the Golden Land, follow its path downstream and seek the key."

The witch suddenly began to recite a bizarre poem...

It was something he remembered hearing.

: "Could that be..., ...the witch's epitaph..."

There was no mistake.

...It was the epitaph that accompanied the portrait of the witch that Kinzo had hung.

The relatives imagined that it probably pointed to the location of the hidden gold, but no one knew what it meant.

The witch suddenly began reciting that epitaph.

So there's the explanation for the cult of Beatrice. The only ways to stop being a chair are death by murder ritual, reaching the Golden Land, or falling for your boss' creepy grandson.

Given the other options on the table, getting staked almost looks appealing.

: "I believe you have wanted that for a long time. ...To furniture, whose existence has no value, just existing day to day must be nothing but agony. ...Those with souls should persist in the real world, but those without them find the real world to be nothing but suffering. *cackle*cackle*...!"

Complicated expressions flitted across Kanon's face.

...It was the day of release that Kanon had been looking forward to.

...However, the coming of this day had been mercilessly sudden.

And for some reason, it was difficult to accept, since he had been informed that the day of resting had come from a witch speaking in this hateful way.

...Kanon wasn't even able to decide what emotion he should hold on to...

: "*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*. ...You truly are a model furniture. ...How nice, how nice. ...However, it wouldn't be interesting if you had no regrets."

: "...Are you saying that regrets are your pleasure?"

: "That is correct! Most witches who live for one thousand years get tired of living! In order to escape boredom, I adorn people's fates with fruit and brandy and cook them like cakes. I find humans dancing through oppressive fates inside an oven to be so very entertaining...! *cackle*cackle*! It's well known that I take this position, right? ...So much that rare guests come from far away to see my skill at cooking. ...Fufufufufu, even if I say that, it may be something that mere furniture can't understand."

Clearly, Beatrice doesn't really know poo poo about food. Everyone knows the only good recipe for fates is a lemon and garlic roast, preferably served with fried tortured souls and a glass of fresh-squeezed orphan blood.

Kanon wasn't able to understand what the witch was saying.

However, he realized well enough that this was a terrifying being who treated the fate of humans as a show, enjoying it whenever some harm befell them.

Even though the day that Kanon should have been waiting impatiently for had come, he was confused at himself and his inability to easily accept that.

...Why was it...?

...The face of Shannon, the person he loved as a sister, rose to his mind.

...And for some reason, Jessica's face did too.

Shannon is also furniture.

...On the day everything returns to nothing, there was no reason she shouldn't be happy.

...But Shannon, ...through her relationship with George, had known an emotion that shouldn't be known by furniture.

Even though she wasn't qualified to be bonded with him, she was still trapped in a dream that she wasn't permitted to see.

Could Shannon, ...accept something like that with pleasure?

...She must not.

...Shannon still had remaining regrets.

...That would probably become a great source of pain and torture for Shannon.

And the fact of the matter was that this regret, ...had been planted by this witch.

Why? Just because that would be 'more interesting'...!

: "...And, I hate you for making this day difficult for Shannon to accept...!"

: "I wanted to make you feel pain from your regrets as well, just like Shannon. ...However, you continued to be like furniture with foolish honesty, and didn't get ensnared by me. ...However, it looks like you loved Shannon too dearly, right? *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*! Shannon's regrets became your regrets. ...Will that become hatred for me...?"

: "If you want to kill me, try to do it. ...*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*! As Kinzo's furniture, you should have at least that much power, right? However, if you kill me, the day of rest for the furniture will not come for all eternity. ...Could you withstand that...? Can you really reject your release by me...? *cackle*cackle*cackle*!! ...Kneel!"

So Kanon is actually a threat to Beatrice. Or well. Theoretically, at least. Considering how badly things went in the boiler room last time around, probably not so much in practice. Shannon and Genji might fare better, though.

: "Wh, ...what...!"

: "...Ku..."

: "If the door to the Golden Land is opened, your life as furniture that has been full of hardship will end. ...If you desire, I will even give you life as a human. After that, you will be on the same level as Jessica! Surely you want to know of it, the taste of love...! ...I know even if you try to hide it, you see...? After seeing Shannon indulging in the sea of sweet love, you grew jealous. ...You are sorely tempted to know the taste of love... *cackle*cackle*!!"

: "...Stop it..., stop it...! Are you trying to ensnare me again...?! I won't be reduced to a toy to please you...!"

: "...He who lays hand upon the key shall travel under the rules below. At the first twilight, you shall lift up as sacrifice the six chosen by the key. At the second twilight, those who remain shall tear apart the two who are close..."

The witch recited the epitaph again.

It was so sudden, and diverged so strongly from the current topic.

However, that challenging smile made it seem almost as though she were using that epitaph as a threat to Kanon.

So all Kinzo's talk about the roulette deciding it all? All bullshit, Beatrice gets to make the choices.

: "...Wh, ...what a dirty..."

Kanon knew.

...Until today, he had planned on giving everything up and living as furniture, like furniture.

...But in reality, that wasn't true.

He loved Shannon too dearly.

...Therefore, when Shannon was in pain, Kanon shared in that.

If only Shannon had continued to live as furniture, indifferently like Kanon, without any regrets in this world, he wouldn't have had to be in so much pain...!

The witch planned to toy with Shannon, who had known the taste of love..., no, who she had taught the taste of love, as she killed her.

...Furthermore, she was threatening to do that so that she could make Kanon, who hadn't submitted to the witch even once until now, finally surrender...

It was that simple. ...In the end, though he had tried resisting the witch to avoid pleasing her, he had only made things interesting for her.

...After all, he was furniture. No, a toy. ...They were nothing but toys meant only to distract her from her boredom...!

: "...Da...mn..."

And is even willing to make deals.

Without even a fragment of elegance, the witch sneered at Kanon with an indecent laugh.

...That's right, she had seen through Kanon even faster than he had been able to make up his own mind...

: "...Ku..."

...Kanon, ...chose to get down on both knees in front of the witch...

It didn't matter what happened to himself.

...However, ...just the fact that Shannon, who during his days as furniture had given him his only reason to live, was being toyed with, ...that alone was something that he couldn't overlook...

Therefore, ...something like kissing the shoes of the witch, ...was an easy oath for Kanon to make.

...At the time that his quivering lips actually touched the witch's shoe...

...Beatrice, after letting a look of ecstasy rise to her face, ...laughed with a voice filled to bursting.

And that's one survivor known already, it looks like. So about a ninth of the results laid out before even the First Twilight.

Since the children were together with the adults, the adults tried to interact like relatives on the surface, talking peacefully about recent events and how their children were growing up.

It had started raining outside, so the children couldn't do anything but sit here like this, watching TV, unable to go outside.

Maria continued watching a boring daytime program without getting bored, going kyakkya all by herself, like a TV kid.

At first, Battler joined in, apparently deepening his relationship with Maria, but he had gotten up early that morning, and was therefore attacked by a wave of drowsiness...

: "Tension? Hehe, you call overreacting that much tension?"

: "At least it's like that for me. ...Fuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah..."

Battler gave a great yawn once again, and slowly lay down in the sofa.

He really did look tired.

George and the others had tried talking to him, thinking it was a sign of boredom, but when they realized he really was sleepy, they decided to let him be.

...The hell are you talking about Battler?

: "Kumasawa-san. This guy looks pretty tired. Would you mind bringing him a blanket?"

: "Hoh-hoh-ho. Here you go."

Kumasawa brought a blanket over from the shelf.

...The wide parlor wasn't cold, but the air had gotten a little chilly.

So when Battler took the blanket, he immediately wrapped himself up in it, like a little turtle.

: "...You really were sleepy. When will you wake up? I'll take care of it."

: "Uu-? Battler sleep? A nap? A nap? Uu-uu-, Maria will do it too!"

: "H, hey, Maria. Battler's sleepy, so you gotta leave him alone. Kumasawa-san, could you give us another blanket?"

It was doubtful that Maria really wanted to take a nap.

She probably saw Battler wrapped up in a blanket and wanted to do the same.

When she received the blanket from Kumasawa, she joyfully wrapped herself up in it and set up camp again in front of the TV.

: "Sheesh. ...Even though we've finally gathered all the cousins together after six years. This guy doesn't have a clue that he's the main guest of this family conference, does he?"

: "...I can hear you-. ...I've casually eaten lunch, and there's even a typhoon and rain. ...Since we aren't doing anything, that means it isn't my turn yet."

: "I wonder about that. If you have a passive attitude like that, and don't do anything unless something happens, your life will be pretty boring, right?"

: "You're always the main character of your own life, right? Why are you acting like a supporting actor? ...You have to move forward by yourself and get up on the stage."

: "...That's not what I mean. What I'm mean by saying that it's not my turn now... Kuaaaaaaaaaaah... Sorry, my mind's a mess. Give me a break... Munyamunya..."

: "Seriously. You're so sleepy that you aren't making any sense. ...We'll leave you alone now."

: "I think that's inexcusable. ...You are always the main character in your own life. But I kinda want to seriously argue with Battler about that!"

: "He's just half-asleep. Don't take him too seriously."

: "...You know what? I think he's got that kind of personality where he doesn't want to get up on the stage because he can't be the main character. ...Something about that pisses me off..."

With distant eyes, Jessica gazed out the window at the grey rose garden obscured by rain...

When she put her forehead up against the glass, it felt as though the pleasantly cool sensation chased away the memories that she didn't want to remember...

You know, I usually don't bother pointing out reused backgrounds but. Why would they use one that is obviously for a higher floor, of all the goddamn options?

: "*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*...! It's because your argument regarding 18 or 19 people, which you are using as a basis to deny me, is truly humorous. So much so that I tried changing my move. ...The greatest basis upon which you deny me is simply because I was not laid out as a piece on the game board. So doing this is nothing more than showing you the queen first, isn't it? ...Isn't opening the road for the queen in the first move one of the short-cuts in chess?"

: "...Q, ...quit playing around... There's no way, ...I can accept something like this, right?! A witch came in, walking right through the entrance hall, you say?! Don't mess with me!!"

: "What's this...? In the last game, I let you make your moves terribly freely, right...? This time, I am doing nothing more than matching your moves and moving the pieces. ...Will you give in already after the first move...?"

: "...Y, ...you bastard... Don't mess with me! Who's gonna give in! Great move, why don't you just move however you like?"

: "I will definitely defy you. I'll definitely corner you!! Come at me as best you can, I don't want you to have any excuses."

: "...Hohoh? Rosa saw the moment when the candy split into butterflies, right?"

: "I don't know about that!! That was a hallucination or a trick, ...otherwise, she just saw it wrong!! That isn't a big problem!!"

Highly trained butterflies armed with tiny packets of edible glue, obviously.

: "*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*! So you throw out the part you can't explain as trivial? ...I see, is that your move in response to mine...?"

Even though it had been so lively in the parlor with so many people gathered there, ...when all of them scattered at once and were sucked into the vast mansion, it created an eerie silence, with no sound except that of the rain...

: "Nope. I haven't met a person like that even once. Aneki?"

: "...I haven't met them. ...Kyrie-san, is that true?"

The mystery woman had spoken to Kyrie.

Without naming herself, she had sneered that Kyrie should have had a vague idea.

...And the person that brought to mind...

...was her look-alike, the witch of the portrait...

: "Was this person trying to say that she was, ...the witch of the portrait?"

: "I realized that was what she was laughing at. ...Even though it was our first meeting, she spoke as though she knew I'm your second wife."

: "...Aneki. You really don't know someone like that?"

: "You talk too much. I have never seen a blonde woman like that go in or out of this mansion!"

: "That kind of thing doesn't matter. ...The problem is what happens if that woman starts calling herself Beatrice, if she starts calling herself the manager of Father's assets."

: "Or, ...maybe she plans to call herself his mistress's daughter, and demand that the inheritance be distributed to her. ...Either way, an outrageous joker has been slipped into the deck. ...Did Nii-san call her? ...Or did Father...?"

: "...Yeah. The little time that we've been given to discuss a counter-strategy is better than what would have happened if that blonde-haired nee-chan had suddenly appeared at the dinner table and scared the poo poo out of us."

: "...Our effective counter-stategies will be limited as long as we don't know what she came to do. ...What could they be after...?"

: "Isn't it obvious! It's to claim that they are the rightful heir to Father's inheritance! Father is still captivated by Beatrice. If that girl were here, you would think he'd want to give up all of his assets! She might even thrust some strange will before us! ...For that, if we take it to court, we could probably claim half of a quarter of it..., ...but that probably wouldn't be resolved until the distribution of the inheritance is settled. ...That's a problem. To me, to Rudolf too! And of course Rosa too, right?"

I went to check and see how much they'd actually be able to get under the circumstances, out of curiosity. Looks like Japan never bothered to draw up any laws to deal with Faustian pacts. The fools.

: "...For all of our various situations, we need to gather money urgently. ...It's our biggest weak point. Then, ...what are they after? Kyrie, ...can you tell?"

: "...It's the first I've heard of it, but one of the premises here is that we have an urgent need to collect money, right?"

: "...nn, ..."

: "It's alright. If this is something that you decided wasn't necessary to tell me about, I won't press you about it right here. ...What's more important is finding out what the Golden Witch is after, right?"

: "Yes...By organizing what we know, will we be able to see the enemy's move coming?"

Rudolf had a certain measure of trust in Kyrie's unique thinking technique, 'chessboard thinking'.

Of course, it didn't give him any more peace of mind than fortune telling, but every time Rudolf was polishing up some important strategy, he would give a great deal of thought to Kyrie's advice...

Well hell, if that's all it's worth, why not double up and check your tea leaves too?

For a while, Kyrie pressed her finger against her forehead, considering...

: "However, because it was kept hidden that she could come until today, maybe you could say that she didn't want us to be notified in advance and therefore interact with her. Which means that, it seems her goal is one that would be disadvantageous to her if we did interact. ...Understand?"

: "I get it... For example, if it was something like a will which Father had written previously, or something that could prove that she was acknowledged as a blood relative, if we assume it was something like that, ...it would be completely unshakable. If she thought it was rock-solid proof, then you'd think she'd actually have announced it beforehand."

: "...That's right. Since we are in a position to doubt her, she should have brought a lawyer or an expert, and thrust some completely undeniable proof before us. If she could."

: "Hmmmm. ...So that would mean that, from the time she first aimed for a surprise attack, we know the enemy couldn't win in an honest, frontal attack. No wonder. If a trump card can win no matter what, it's best to play it out in the open. If you play it in a roundabout way, it might actually obscure the impact of that trump card."

: "In other words, ...we have enough leeway to take advantage of this."

: "You've really got brains! Even understandin' just this much is really reassurin'! In other words, you're tellin' us not to get sucked into our opponents pace."

: "...In the end, it's an extremely simple conclusion. No matter what our opponent brings up, we interact calmly, without rushing things. ...This is just the very first step in the art of negotiation. You really can't say that you've predicted your opponent's thoughts with just this."

: "Come on. ...Just like usual, that was pretty good. ...Now that we know that we have a little leeway to attack, it gives us a little more room to spare."

: "What we don't know is how she is connected to Krauss nii-san. ...Is it a surprise for Krauss nii-san too, or was the person who called her here none other than Krauss nii-san himself? ...If it's the latter, it might make things very troublesome."

: "...That's right. ...Secretly calling a mystery woman on the day of the family conference. ...Repulsive, but it somehow feels like Nii-san."

: "Aneki, let's do this. ...As long as she can't clearly prove her identity, we won't accept her position in any way."

: "...She might even show us proof that she's a blood relative. If she can show that Father's blood runs through her veins, like with a maternity record document, there's nothing we can do."

: "We can suspect that any proof is only something disguised. Even if it is the real thing, in order to prove that the person mentioned is the person in question, we would need to check their condition at a hospital. ...At the very least, it will be impossible to prove that now, on Rokkenjima."

: "...You're right. So, in other words, it's something like this. No matter what is shown to us now on Rokkenjima, it can't be accepted as truth. So we can't believe anything until the typhoon passes and they prove it to us at the proper place. ...*giggle*."

Rudolf and Eva always grew united as siblings in times like these, sickened by the idea that their own inheritance might be snatched away by an outsider.

Kyrie noticed how indomitable they looked, swung her head slightly to the side, and gave a small sigh as she looked out the window.

Outside, there was still a strong rain falling, and everything was gray, having lost all vibrance.

It felt like the lush garden that the sun had shone on earlier had been no more than a lie.

For some reason, the words Eva had said just a short while ago kept repeating in Kyrie's head.

There was an odd nuance to those words.

Right now, this island was closed off by the typhoon and isolated.

They had no official connections and no hospital.

So on this island, no matter what manner of proof with any relation to the outside world was shown, one could claim that it was fiction.

It was impossible to prove that something was the truth.

It almost gave the illusion, ...that separate from the human world made from truth, ...was another world called fiction, in which they had been shut away.

...Kyrie remembered what that woman had looked like one more time.

And she remembered the woman's figure, and the witch of the portrait.

On this island, which had been isolated from the world of humans, and shut away in the world of nonhumans, ...a nonhuman being had visited.

No matter what she did, Kyrie couldn't help think of that smile that had appeared on that woman's face as anything other than a thing of misfortune...

It feels like my chessboard thinking mistook a vital premise, ...now that I try to understand that smile of misfortune.

In that case...all reasoning is useless.

For what reason has the witch been invited here today?

...Only one thing is certain. ...Now, in this instant, she is staying somewhere in this vast mansion...

: "...I don't know what uu- means! Is that true?!"

: "...Yes."

: "How long have you been meeting her? How many years ago did it start?!"

: "...Uu-. ...Don't know."

: "You don't know?! Why?! Last year? Two years ago?!"

: "...Since before that. ...Uu-."

Rosa was astonished.

...Only the Ushiromiya family mansion existed on this island.

So there was no way that there were any humans other than themselves on this island.

And yet, Maria said that she had been meeting with that suspicious woman every year during the family conference...

For the theorists, Rosa is one of the few established characters who can probably be safely assumed to have been to all the same conferences as Maria. Though that alone doesn't make her any more likely than, say, Kinzo, or Jessica, or...

...That's insane.

Is she saying that some eerie woman was at the family conference every year, and none of us ever noticed it...?!

Even though Rosa had just met her herself a couple of hours ago in the rose garden, she was overcome with a strange emotion which told her not to accept that existence...

'What' in the world did I meet with earlier today in the rose garden, as the typhoon grew close and the winds blew strong...

: "...Maria. So, you said that you met her every year. ...After you met, what did you do?"

: "Uu-. Sang songs, learned magic. Learned how to write magic circles."

: “Made blood sacrifices, summoned demons... Uu-!”

: "R, ...really? That's incredible. ...Maria, you often draw scribbles..., ...no, magic circles, in your notebook, right? Did she teach you that?"

: "Uu-! You know what, Beatrice drew a model! C'mon, c'mon, look! Look!"

Maria joyfully fished around in her handbag.

...Then, she drew out a single notebook and began opening to that page.

: "Look! Here! Beatrice wrote it!! Uu-!!"

In case you've forgotten, that's all four of the circles that showed up in the first episode.

On each page Maria opened to, there was another eerie magic circle that had been drawn.

...Furthermore, at a glance, Rosa realized that Maria hadn't drawn them.

The strength of the strokes, the thickness of the lines, how clean the shape was.

While they're apparently not as smeared as some of the CGs, I'd give solid odds that they are written in there in blood.

...This by itself wasn't enough to guess the background of the person who had written it, but it was enough for Rosa to understand that it was definitely someone older than Maria.

Rosa had to accept it now.

...There really was a person on this Rokkenjima that she herself hadn't known existed until now, and this person had come to the family conference every year to play with Maria.

: "...Maria. Umm, does this witch Beatrice live here...? Or does she live outside the island like us...?"

: "Uu-. ...Beatrice is the witch of Rokkenjima, so she lives on this island."

Wh, ...what in the, what in the...

I can't believe it, I can't believe it...!

How long has this unknown witch been living on this island?!

I used to live on this island.

I lived on this island, passing the time in the mansion, in the rose garden.

And even so, I never encountered a witch like that, ...never, ...supposedly...

: "Mama...? Mama...? What's wrong...? Mama...?!"

: "...My head, ...hurts..."

...I was probably getting a little mixed up with my memories from when I was a young girl.

...She couldn't be a witch.

...She's obviously a 'human' calling herself Beatrice, right?

That's right...

...That witch entrusted me with an envelope...

What in the world could that be?

Rosa pulled that western-style envelope out of her pocket.

...Which meant, ...this envelope belonged to the Ushiromiya head.

...In other words, it was from Father.

Why was a woman calling herself Beatrice holding it, and why did she give it to me?

That's right, I'm sure she said to read this aloud at dinner.

...What in the world could be written inside...?

An uncertainty gripped Rosa, as if opening this envelope would release a ridiculous object of misfortune...

...However, at the same time, a little curiosity sprouted up, causing her to want to find out what was written inside before the other siblings.

Using common sense, ...one could guess that a huge resolution somehow related to Father's inheritance was probably written inside.

...I needed a large sum of money, ...and I couldn't wait long.

I felt like a sinful daughter for discussing the distribution of Father's inheritance while he was still alive.

Oh, don't worry Rosa. None of the inheritance business is turning you into a terrible person.

That ship sailed a loooooong time ago.

...However, this was no time to keep everything pretty.

...And I was even consulting with Rudolf nii-san and Eva nee-san in order to get some money out of Krauss nii-san.

With myself in this situation, I can't help but foresee misfortune...

...What could be written in here? ...I'm sure there must be something frightening written.

...Shall I first read it secretly myself?

...It would be better to secretly read the contents first.

...I understand that it would be breaking my promise.

...But this is no longer the time to keep things pretty...

It would probably be good to discuss it with Eva nee-san and Rudolf nii-san, ...depending on the contents.

...Nee-san and the rest are always really good thinkers when it comes to this kind of thing...

When I gulped, ...and put my hand to the red sealing wax...

...Something suddenly pulled on my sleeve, and I let out a small scream.

: "...Beatrice told Mama to read that letter during dinner. ...You can't break a promise with a witch. ...Kihihihihihihihihihihihi..."

Considering how badly things go when the other side keeps their end, Beatrice's breach-of-contract penalties have to be indescribably horrible.

: "Th, ...that's not it. I just wanted to look at the envelope for a second. ...I'll keep my promise. ...After all, Mama always tells Maria to keep her promises. ...Of course Mama will keep her promise..."

: "Yes. Mama's a good girl. ...Kihihihihihihihihihi..."

: "Th, ...that laugh. ...It isn't cute, so stop it."

: "...Uu-."

: "Come to think of it, you received a letter too, Maria. ...What was written inside?"

:: "It isn't open. ...Beatrice said mustn't open it until the time to open it comes. So taking good care of it. ...Uu-."

Rosa realized something.

...Mixed in with Maria's gaze, ...was the light of a person other than Maria.

...If she broke the rules, and opened the envelope here, Beatrice would probably know about it.

...Because Maria was the witch's disciple.

...Maria communicated with that witch...

: "...Mama will keep her promise. So tell Beatrice not to worry, okay?"

: "Uu-! Tell her."

: "...Hey, Maria. ...I want to speak with Beatrice, but what could I do to meet her, I wonder...?"

Well, the selections being non-random and all, suppose we know why Rosa appears to have gotten the short stick twice in a row.

: "D, ...don't I always tell you to stop that laughing!!"

Rosa reflexively hit Maria on the head.

...That put a stop to Maria's laughing voice, ...but it wasn't able to erase the color of misfortune that had risen to those eyes.

Anyone care to guess how long this will last before she forgets, flips out, and ditches her again?

Next time: Everyone sucks at dealing with witches.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, Beatrice is certainly not nice.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The thread's not dead!

It's revealing that all the adults assume Beatrice is after the inheritance, despite nothing but circumstantial evidence (the fact she showed up when Kinzo's close to death) for that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, they're not completely wrong.

I can't wait to see them confront Beatrice. :allears:

Meirlkor
Feb 18, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

The thread's not dead!

It's revealing that all the adults assume Beatrice is after the inheritance, despite nothing but circumstantial evidence (the fact she showed up when Kinzo's close to death) for that.

Well, to be fair that's what Beatrice is after (we know the contents of the letter from the first episode), and there isn't much reason to get close to Kinzo - particularly as far as the siblings know - for anything other than his money.
It certainly isn't his charming, affable personality and warm reception of guests.

So it makes sense to assume money is the motive because of course witches don't exist, right?

pocketwatch
Apr 26, 2008
"No matter what is shown to us now on Rokkenjima, it can't be accepted as truth." This is very close to Battler's reaction in chapter 1. I hope it's foreshadowing of all the adults trying to explain away the witch's stunts along with Battler.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Yay, this topic is back up. I wonder what kind of occult resurrection ceremony was needed to revive it. As someone who long since finished the series I do enjoy the commentary on it here.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Dangit, was hoping the update would be longer, but I guess that would be way too long.

Still, I think it's one more update and things finally get going, altough we already have a mystery at hand.

LeeDless
Mar 28, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

The thread's not dead!

I sure hope not. It can't end like this.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I've got a two-poster that should be up later tonight, and a few more that are mostly done.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Part Thirty-Two: A Man Chooses, A Chair Obeys (Section A)

Since they had met Maria in the airport, she had been romping around about Halloween the whole time.

...But maybe she had cut loose a little too much, and acted a little too boisterous on the plane, on the boat, and during lunch, because Rosa had warned her several times.

In times like that, Rosa oba-san would rarely scold her in front of people.

...More commonly, she would call Maria into the shadows, and scold her when they were alone.

So since Maria had been called off somewhere, they thought she must be getting scolded.

When they looked at the clock, they realized that it was almost 6:00.

They couldn't really imagine that Maria had been scolded this whole time.

Maybe it was time for some anime she watched every week to start.

She had probably stayed in the mansion's parlor the whole time.

: "Battler was messing around a lot himself. Even though that guy's gotten big, he hasn't changed a bit since long ago."

: "Yes. Because he was, well, very energetic. *giggle*."

: "I also remember how the four of us used to play six years ago. Shannon acted a lot like a big sister."

: "That's right. I get the feeling that she was even more level-headed then than she is now. Ahahahaha!"

: "B, ...back then I, umm, ...didn't act fitting for my place so...umm, I did some rude things..."

: "...It's alright to act like that. Forget when you're working, when you're taking your break, like now, I want you to stay with us and be friendly."

: "That's right. ...Treat the servant Shannon and off-duty Sayo differently. ...You aren't a slave, you're just working as a servant, right? ...I think of you, Shannon, ...no, Sayo, as my oldest friend."

: "...Thank you very much, Milady."

Apparently, George had also been informed about that history, more or less.

As George approached the window, he looked up at the darkening rainy sky...

: "...Even though Kanon-kun is still young, I think that he's starting to grow a bit in his way of thinking."

: "Uhh, hahahaha... C'mon, quit it already. Well, umm, I think there's been some times when I've been sucked in by the atmosphere... Well, umm, ...maybe after looking at you two, umm, I got a little jealous, and sometimes started feeling a little rushed."

Oh goddammit why do you hate me Ryukishi?

: "Err, ...I, ...I wonder..."

: "Yes. It's going very well."

Shannon was lost for words, her face red, while George answered brightly and immediately.

That carefree attitude made it obvious that their relationship was proceeding so perfectly, it would make anyone envious.

: "Heh, I'm jealous. ...That mean Shannon's gonna resign and have a party soon?"

: "I, I wonder... I am, umm..."

: "I wonder, right? How could I know?"

George laughed like he was being mean and drew closer to Shannon. ...It was probably the way they usually flirted when they were alone.

Jessica could only smile bitterly and say yes, yes, thank you, that's enough.

: "...I want two kids at the very least. And I'd like to do some sports that the whole family could do together. And many more things besides that. I often talk with Shannon about that kind of thing. ...Although every time I talk about that sort of thing, Shannon always laughs and says I'm getting ahead of myself. ...For some reason, even at the age I am now, I've started having some calmer thoughts like I'm in my old age. ...Healthy grown kids, and grandchildren running around. If only I could spend the rest of my life at a slow pace, surrounded by that, and together with Shannon forever."

And I'd bet that all these grand plans were laid out on the first date.

: "You're definitely getting ahead of yourself. ...But, how should I say it, it sounds like you, George nii-san."

: "Being surrounded by that family would probably be so wonderful. ...The ideal family that I've painted in my mind is something like that."

...To Shannon, who had been raised in an orphanage, that harmonious image of a family was probably something she yearned after.

...And George, who promised that he would definitely grant that wish for her, was surely a fitting person for her to spend her life with...

Shannon was an important friend to Jessica.

...George was surely the one most fit to entrust that friend's future to.

: "Ah-hah-hah-ha. There's no reason for anyone to worry about something like that. ...No one can worry about who I chose to be my partner. Shannon makes me happy. Whose permission do I need?"

Well, Kinzo might have some issues with having one of his favorite stools taken away.

: "...Whoa--. George nii-san, that was cool... I can't believe you can say something so embarrassing out loud. I thought George didn't used to be that kind of character."

: "If you don't see a boy for three days, you should watch them closely. ...Even I grow up. ...I plan to study more and more to make Shannon happy and grow to be a suitable man."

Did George even realize how embarrassing the words coming out of his mouth were?

His face turned very slightly red, and he scratched his head.

: "Awesome... I'm jealous of you Shannon, seriously!"

Her words say jealous. Her face says creeped out.

: "...I, if you will go so far then, ...I, I'm sorry to trouble you..."

: "Wait a sec, I'm starting to feel like I'm getting in the way. Would it be better if I le-ft?"

When Jessica stood up from the bed she had been sitting on, smiling bitterly, at that very moment, the phone rang.

Before Jessica picked up the receiver, wondering what business they could have, Shannon looked at the clock, taken aback.

...Somehow or another, it seemed that she had taken too long on her break.

: "I, I am sorry...! I forgot it was time for work...! Th, then, if you will excuse me...!"

At the same time that Jessica picked up the phone, Shannon began dashing out of the room.

: "Hello, it's Jessica. ...Ah, Genji-san. Yes, Shannon is going back to you guys now. We held her up. Please don't scold her. Yeah, yes."

: "I see. So it will be time to prepare dinner very soon."

...The number of plates that were lined up there...

...was 19.

That number was one more than were lined up during the family conference every year.

Gohda-san flared up at Genji, paying no heed to the pot that was boiling over.

The Master enjoyed having his food alone in his study, so the food needed to be set out in the study.

However, this always happened.

Gohda-san really wanted to set the table for the Master with his own hands, as he had put his heart and soul into his cooking.

...But the Master had imposed a strict rule that none but the servants bearing the Golden Eagle crest could enter his study.

...So while Gohda-san could greet the Master from outside the study, not once had he been granted the honor of carrying his cooking into the study.

...You can probably imagine what damage that did to his pride.

You might think that tonight was another repeat of that, but it wasn't.

Because tonight, there was a person other than the Master who wanted their food carried to their room.

Apparently, this person was a very rare and honored guest, and there had been a strict order to treat this person in the same manner as the Master, who was the family head.

Gohda-san must have wanted to earn some points by serving this honored guest with his own hands.

Because he was a person of strong vanity.

If he wasn't qualified to serve the Master, then at least a guest of the same rank...

He couldn't have made time during lunch no matter what, so Kanon-san had gone for him.

...Therefore, he truly desired to serve tonight's food, the best dinner of the year.

Aah, so heartrending, Gohda-san...

I cannot do anything more than watch like this from the shadows...

: "Kumasawa-san, if you have enough free time to dawdle around, please prepare the dining hall. Is the tablecloth ready?!"

: "Hoh-hoh-hoh-ho..., oh my, my apologies..."

When it became her turn to bear the brunt, Kumasawa softly disappeared into the hall.

: "Beatrice-sama is of exactly the same rank as the Master. ...We must respect this rule in the same way we do with the Master. ...Gohda-san, if you would, please devote your attention entirely towards the task you are confident in, for all of the relatives..."

: "I don't mind if it's you, Genji-san, but is it really alright to let a child like this go to such a guest?! If she made some blunder, it would be quite rude. I know that they have served here for a long time, but that doesn't mean that they have been trained in the proper areas. If you will allow me to speak freely, they have no foundation which makes them able to interact with this guest!"

And just how many witches have you struck bargains with before, Gohda? Hmm?

Shannon was the one who Genji had ordered to carry the food to Beatrice's room.

...By the ranking system among the servants permitted the Golden Eagle, Shannon was surely the second highest ranked.

...If the highest ranked, Genji, went to set the table in Kinzo's room, then it fell to Shannon to set the table in Beatrice's room.

Gohda pride was always horribly injured when he was shown this ranking system.

...In times like that, he would speak out bluntly and rudely about Shannon and Kanon.

Gohda kept raising examples of each one of Shannon's failures until now, making a ruckus about how this was wrong and that was wrong.

Shannon, who listened to this and hung her head in shame, heard Kanon's voice from behind her.

...Kanon had heard everything, having approached from a blind spot in the hall along the wall near the entrance to the kitchen.

...He probably knew that if he entered the kitchen, sparks would start to fly his way.

: "...More importantly, ...is the guest in the honored guest room, ...really Beatrice-sama, as they say?"

: "...Yes. ...I met her when I was made to set the table for her during lunch. ...There's no mistake, it's her."

: "R, really? Was she doing well?"

Kanon remembered that he and Shannon had different impressions about Beatrice.

To Shannon, Beatrice was a cupid of love, who had granted her magic to create her relationship with George.

Judging by the expression that rose to her face, ...it looked like she couldn't wait to inform Beatrice of how her relationship with George had progressed.

...However, Kanon already knew.

That witch had come here with a terrifying goal in mind.

...That vague witch that only they had been able to see in the past, had now walked in openly through the front door, and had revived enough that they could now carry food to her.

And she had said that.

...She had definitely said that she had known of his failure and had sown the seeds of love.

She had said something else.

...She had definitely said that the day on which the door to the Golden Land would be opened had finally come.

: "She came here. ...As the Master requested, so that the door to the Golden Land would open, and so that everything would be returned to the Golden Land. She definitely said that to me!"

In the past, ...the two of them, as furniture working for Kinzo, had been told what opening of the door to the Golden Land meant.

Therefore, even without asking a single question in response, Shannon understood everything.

...So, ...she grew deeply hopeless.

...Something tore at Kanon's heart as he looked at that expression twisted with grief...

: "...Didn't I tell you? We are furniture! ...Because we acted like humans, because of love, ...we can't obediently accept the day when our service is over...!"

: "...At one time, in the past, I wished that this day would come. ...But it never came after so much time...I didn't know how long we would be able stand being tormented as furniture...So I thought. ...I thought that day of rest wouldn't come for all eternity."

: "...That's what I thought! But I believed that it would definitely come someday! So I never forgot that I am furniture! But Nee-san, you forgot that!"

: "...It's, ...my fault, isn't it...I'm..."

: "Yeah, it's your fault, Nee-san. ...If only you hadn't known love...we would both be happy that this day has finally come! You built up shameless regrets! Even though it was a world that you must not leave!!"

That was a fact.

...George should have snuck in an engagement ring in his pocket today.

...And surely, he would hand it over tonight.

: "...She joined you together, planning to use you and George-sama as the sacrifices of the second twilight. ...Understand? By tempting you, Nee-san, she took advantage of you!"

: "...That's right. ...I never thought of that."

Nothing was said about turning down the engagement when Beatrice offered the terms.

Somehow Kanon has managed to negotiate his way into an even shittier deal.

: “There will be 13 people as sacrifices. Only five people will be left alive. ...The chances of us being a part of that group are really slim. ...However, if only you, Nee-san, can take advantage of that promise, those chances rise higher! I want to take that bet!”

: "...In the past, we used to dream about being able to go to the Golden Land. ...If we go there, any wish will be granted. ...We will be saved from this pain. ...We believed that."

However, in this ceremony, only a few people, decided by fate and chance, would be invited to the Golden Land.

Beatrice, the Golden Witch. Known aliases: Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos, Fortuna.

...Everyone else would lose their life as a sacrifice midway through the ceremony.

However, in the past, Shannon and Kanon had thought that whether they reached the Golden Land, or were made sacrifices, they would still be released from their duties as furniture.

...So in other words, this ceremony would definitely give release to furniture like them.

: "...So I won't let you become the sacrifice of the second twilight! Please, Nee-san! Don't accept that man's ring! If you don't accept that, she promised not to select you as a sacrifice, Nee-san!!"

: "...I, ...cannot do that. ...Tonight's ring is very special. ...My heart won't permit me to not accept it."

: "Nee-san...! The sacrifices of the ceremony are decided on the witch's whim! That witch has promised to overlook just you, Nee-san!! Only you will definitely be able to go to the Golden Land!"

: "...Only me? What about you, Kanon-kun?"

Says the guy who got curbstomped by butterflies last time.

: "After all, our lives are temporary, aren't they? ...In order to begin our real lives, ...let's drag ourselves to the Golden Land. Then, ...we will gain humanity. ...And when we've done that, ...maybe I want to, ...be able to know love, like you, Nee-san. Can I still, ...let a person cry just because I'm furniture...?"

: "...Kanon-kun..."

: "I, ...don't like being furniture anymore...! ...I'll definitely, ...become human...From this pain, ...definitely...!""..."

There were tears in Kanon's eyes...

By now, Kanon had noticed.

...Shannon hadn't been the only one to know and suffer the taste of love.

He had too.

: "...Shannon! I have been calling to you for some time."

Shannon was taken aback by Genji's sudden voice.

Apparently, she had been called for repeatedly.

She hurriedly answered.

...When she turned back, Kanon had disappeared.

...It seemed he didn't feel like showing his tears to anybody...

: "Y, yes. I'm sorry for being careless..."

: "I entrusted Kanon with lunch, but it should have been you, as the next in rank after me, that carried it. ...Beatrice-sama is the most honored guest of this house. There is no more honored guest than her. ...Please think of her as another Master, and be polite."

Gohda had officially agreed, but he threatened Shannon with an expression that told her that he definitely wouldn't forgive any mistakes.

Shannon thought that Gohda should just go if he wanted to that much, ...but she thought of her responsibilities as one who had been granted the Golden Eagle, and had to give up.

...And.

...I wanted to meet Beatrice.

What will we talk about? What will I hear? ...I don't know.

Thanks? Or maybe grief?

Or maybe, ...what? ...I don't know.

Shannon piled the witch's food onto the serving cart, and left the kitchen with a slow gait...

: "Father. Today is our annual family conference. Haven't the siblings gathered here to get a glance of you, Father?"

:: "Aaah, be silent!! I'm saying I won't leave! I imagine that you are there, Genji!! Why haven't you had my food brought here as I ordered you to?!!"

Kinzo screamed across the door.

...Genji was waiting behind Krauss.

: "...Your meal has been prepared so that it may be carried to the study. ...However, Krauss-sama said that he wanted you to go downstairs tonight..."

: "...My, my."

Krauss shrugged at this answer, which he had half expected.

:: "Genji, carry the meal here as you were told!! Why don't you listen to what I say?!! Why?! WHY?!!"

: "...Genji-san. I will leave the rest to you. ...My voice will no longer reach that person."

Krauss gave his head a small shake, and quickly turned his back on the door to the study.

...He had only called out for the siblings' sake, even though he knew it was useless.

After Genji watched Krauss go down the stairs, he called again across the door.

: "...Master. We have finished preparations for the meal to be carried here. ...What about a serving for Doctor Nanjo?"

Kinzo was thinking deeply about his move, concentrating more than usual.

...It had been Kinzo's turn for quite some time, and Nanjo, who was tired of waiting, had randomly pulled out a book on magic that he couldn't understand and was skimming it.

You'd think at some point he'd have been warned about the dangers of blindly flipping through random occult tomes.

: "...Kinzo-san. You won't think of a good move just by folding your arms and sitting in front of the board. I wonder if it wouldn't be good to take a break and refresh our minds...?"

: "Be silent. ...Hmmm. ...That should be good enough for defense. Will the bishop and the knight be able to penetrate that hole...? ...nnnnnnnn..."

Today, Kinzo was insistent on a strong defense.

...Normally, Kinzo's motto was that offense was the best defense. However, today was completely the opposite.

: "...I am also hungry. Shall we suspend the game here? And I've used my head so much without a break that I'm already feeling dizzy. ...Any more of this might limit my ability to make my best moves."

Kinzo sighed deeply, and finally shifted his gaze away from the board.

Chess needed an opponent.

...If that opponent was tired and was trying to suspend the game, too bad...

: "It is true that the goal of chess is for both players to aim for victory and make the best moves possible in order to achieve that. ...It is an intellectual game of being able to read each other. ...But Kinzo-san, are you forgetting that there is another goal separate from victory?"

: "Ah, ...I give up. I believe those are words I said to you a long time ago. ...I give up."

Kinzo, who normally wore a frown, surprisingly relaxed his face and laughed.

...Nanjo felt like he had been reunited with a close friend he hadn't seen in a long time.

: "That's how it is. Now that I've taken a shot back at you, what do you think? Will you go down to eat with me? What do you say about discussing Kasparov's middle game along with some coffee?"

: "...A good plan, but I will refrain. ...I can no longer leave this room. ...Because the ceremony has begun."

: "...Is that so? Well, my stomach is growling. ...I will go downstairs. Any time you feel like it-"

: "...We didn't resolve our chess match. ...However, it seems that I have somehow succeeded in that goal of chess which I forgot. It seems that was just as important as checkmate."

: "This isn't like you. Why so sentimental?"

: "...That is fine, but I have a score to settle. Losing that rook was a serious blow. ...Well then, I will see you later."

: "Yes, later. ...Maybe in the Golden Land, or in Purgatory. Or maybe the next world."

Nanjo didn't say anything beyond that.

And, with a practiced hand, he pushed the button on the table that would release the auto-lock.

Then after looking at Kinzo's back one last time, he left the study.

As he did, Genji's voice came from the hall.

: "...Hmm. Until today, this room has been wrapped in a multitude of rigorous barriers. ...Even if that roulette chooses me, I will definitely repel it. ...I will remain alive, and I will definitely become one of those who reach the Golden Land...! ...I will reject the visit of the gods of death that try to drag me off to Hades..."

You know, I wonder what would happen if someone rigged up barriers on every door. Would the ritual just slam into a wall and die immediately? Somehow drag in people from off the island to sub in? Stay paused until people step into the halls?

The young woman by the window, gazing out into the darkness, where nothing should have been visible, was definitely that witch.

Shannon solemnly prepared dinner.

...There were actually several things that she wanted to ask and talk about with the witch.

...But those things were all jumbled up, and she didn't know where to start.

Her heart was also jumbled up with various things, and she didn't even understand her own emotions.

...Therefore, still remaining vague, she could only do her job indifferently.

However, the witch guessed what was in her heart.

You couldn't hide things from a witch...

: "...I won't apologize. Because I am a witch."

: "...For what?"

: "...There are some who think it is more fun to hear about love than to have it."

: "You, ...couldn't possibly be trying to thank me, right?"

: "...Yes. ...No matter what kind of ulterior motive you had when you gave me the magic of love, ...it doesn't change the fact that I received it from you. ...So even if you sowed that seed knowing that the two of us wouldn't be able to stay together for life, ...I won't hold a grudge against you."

: "...Hmmmm. ...It appears that furniture isn't interesting after all. ...*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*. This is where I show my skill by cooking it into something interesting."

: "Thank you for teaching me to be human. ...You said it. ...I am no longer furniture."

: "...Be silent, furniture. ...If you were a true human, hearing the announcement of your death on the day that you were to receive an engagement ring should have you dancing around, mad with grief. But what are you doing? Doesn't your face look so enlightened, as though you have accepted everything? ...Truly an anticlimax. Furniture...!"

Perhaps instead of jumping back and forth, it'd be easiest to just classify her as some kind of hybrid.

Half-chair! Half-human! All boring!

: "No. I am not furniture."

: "Hmph. ...*cackle*cackle*cackle* hahahahahahahahahahahaha...! ...I'll take back what I said. You really are interesting. ...If I hadn't sowed those seeds, you probably would have allowed the ceremony to control your fate without clinging on to any emotions. ...But now you have been brought up to be truly interesting, which pleases me to the bottom of my heart. That will be fine. Because I don't love boredom. ...*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*!"

: "...I have finished preparations for dinner. ...Here you go."

: "Hmm. ...Doesn't this look delicious? ...If Gohda makes it to the Golden Land, it would be desirable to commission him as my chief cook."

...And that's an even shittier deal. Kanon, unrivaled master of supernatural negotiation!

: "...What a foolish condition. And what a foolish threat. ...Is that how you bullied Kanon-kun so much?"

: "Hoh. So you understand. ...*cackle*cackle*cackle*!"

Apparently, Shannon had seen through it.

...Apparently, she could imagine how much Kanon had been bullied and humiliated by the witch, with that horrible promise as bait.

: "I made him crawl on the carpet and kiss my shoes. *cackle*cackle*cackle*! And that's not all. ...Do you want to hear the other ways in which I humiliated him...?"

And with extra requirements on his end. Goddrat Kanon.

Shannon silently shook her head.

: "I have finally come to understand you. You like to bully, confuse, and trouble people, and you do it to entertain yourself. ...So I'm now sure that this is the way to resist you."

: "What is?"

: "I don't know you. ...I will carry out the fate that has been given to me. So I won't entertain you."

The witch's features twisted in hatred for just an instant.

...It disappeared immediately, but that expression that rose to her face for only a brief time was unusual for the witch, whose malicious smile hadn't disappeared even once.

: "*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*!! ...Can you resist like that? Interesting. I like it. I'll kill you. Together with your lover...!"

: "...If that is the fate that you have decided, that is up to you. ...I won't be afraid of that or go against that. Because I don't believe that the severe fate that will start occurring from here on is something controlled by your will. We humans don't know anything about fates that could occur in the future. Therefore, until the last instant, I'll live to the fullest, relying on my own fate and conviction. Fate is just a roll of the dice. You can't feel malice from it. I don't believe that you inspire it."

: "...Hoh. Even though you have stopped being furniture, you have no fear of death. ...It seems you think that will bore me, but that's a huge misunderstanding. ...My interest will be increasingly satisfied as I see whether you really can stick to that until your last moments. *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*...!"

: "That's what witches do. I live off your fates, reigning as a high-order being does over low-order beings. After all, fate for all of you is just a Fragment. If you make soup with both hands, you can scoop out as much as you want. ...Just like how no matter what the beef cows I raise babble, it won't change whether I invite them to my dinner table. *cackle*cackle*...!"

I get most of what she's saying, but the soup honestly just baffles me.

: "...We are powerless, so we can't go against your ceremony or fate. ...But I can make you unhappy right now."

: "Hoh. What would that be?"

: "...I will walk away from this place right now. Answering your words only entertains you. Not answering your questions is the only way I can resist you."

Sadly for Shannon, not feeding the trolls is a far less effective strategy when they can still just magic you to death anyway.

: "I see, I see. You may be able to take a shot at me. ...But you cannot defeat me, right? ...I have the power to kill anyone for eternity."

: "Well then, if you will excuse me. If you have any business, please call me."

Shannon gave a reserved bow, and faced away.

...With that gesture, maybe she really had taken a shot back at the witch, just as Beatrice had mentioned.

...Because when the witch called out again, she sounded a little more quick-tempered than she had before.

: "Furniture will be happy about their day of rest. But I am a human. So I have nothing to thank you for. ...Do you have any other business?"

: "...You plan to receive the ring from George? Don't forget that if you do, I will abandon the promise I made with Kanon, the promise that you would not be selected as a sacrifice."

: "If you have any more business, I'll have someone else come for you. If you will excuse me."

A flat-out interruption.

Shannon still hadn't answered her.

And the sound of the door closing came instead of an answer.

Welp, there's the second twilight then, it looks like. 3/18, and the first day is still going.

It seemed that Shannon's resistance probably struck far more deeply into the witch than Shannon herself thought.

: "...What is this? ...Isn't this interesting after all? ...*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*. ...Am I still far too young? This is why I'm still not tired of living after one thousand years..."

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Part Thirty-Two: A Man Chooses, A Chair Obeys (Section B)

Because anything embarrassing that occurred during the dinner would cause the deepest shame for him as the host, he had strongly ordered Natsuhi to sincerely attempt to avoid anything embarrassing.

Because of that, she and Krauss had employed Gohda, who had confidence in his cooking abilities.

...As a result, even though they could announce a wonderful dinner they had confidence in, by that time, Kinzo had closed himself up in his study and did not appear for dinner. Maybe you could call that ironic...

When the main dish for tonight, calf steak, was set out, Gohda began to brag about it, further exciting everyone's appetite.

: "...Isn't that wonderful? However, isn't Bordelaise sauce common to French cooking? It almost seems like using alcohol from outside France with that is heresy."

: "Master. Today is the annual family conference. As a dinner for those who normally live far away, and have traveled far from across the world to gather together, I realized that a sauce made from a blend of fine alcohols from across the world that have never met each other before would be most fitting, so I had it specially prepared."

I suppose figuring out a blend of alcohols that had met each other before and all hated each other was a bit more than he could manage.

: "Wonderful! A truly wonderful cook, that's what you are! Food and medicine work twice as well if you advertise it right! It's twice as delicious as normal food, and the advertisin' makes that twice as good! The taste keeps doublin' and doublin'! Wahahahahaha!"

: "*giggle*. Come on, Nii-san. Didn't he see that question coming?"

: "There's no mistake. Having Gohda-san handle the truly delicious part."

: "...Just now, Eva said that not using butter was a virtue, but that's the Spanish style. ...Well, I guess they do share a border, right?"

: "...That's not what I meant. Will you please not take a part of the conversation out of context and manufacture something?"

: "...It's a very delicious sauce. Gohda-san, you certainly are wonderful."

: "It is a great honor to receive your praise. And this is all thanks to Madam's habitual guidance."

: "...No, it was all Gohda's idea. I only listened to the recipe and approved of it."

It looked like the siblings quickly got into a loud argument about the sauce, ...but for the most part, dinner proceeded peacefully.

If the mystery guest was to be introduced, this dinner table was the most appropriate place to do it.

...However, no place was prepared at the dinner table for the witch.

The family conference would begin in earnest after the meal, and previous experiences told them that it could last until deep into the night.

...But they couldn't understand what it would mean if this person, who should be introduced, still hadn't been by late that night.

If this wasn't an assassin called by Krauss to give him an advantage in the inheritance problem, ...maybe they should speak frankly to Krauss beforehand, and create a common front to resist anything disadvantageous to the four siblings.

...If she was Kinzo's assassin, whose purpose was to keep the inheritance from being handed over to the four siblings, the enmity between Krauss and the other siblings could only become a weak point that benefitted the enemy...

: "Well then, please enjoy at your leisure..."

When he finished explaining the table setting and the cooking, Gohda tried to leave the room, but Kyrie called him to a stop with a small voice.

It seemed that Natsuhi had heard it as, 'Even though the guests have come, won't the host come to dinner?' ...In other words, that Kyrie had asked whether Kinzo was going to come to dinner.

: "The head's condition is not good, so he said that he will take his dinner in his study. ...My husband explained that in the beginning, but is something...?"

: "...I'm sorry. That's not what I meant."

...In an instant, Kyrie realized from Natsuhi's reaction that this unknown visitor was also unknown to Krauss and his wife.

...And what that meant...

...On the chessboard placed inside Kyrie's mind, it felt like there was a loud sound as the arrangement of the pieces changed...

Everyone looked at Gohda at the same time.

...Judging by their appearances, it was at least obvious that no one here had invited that mystery woman.

For an instant, Gohda was startled to find everyone's gazes gathered on him, but because of his naturally vain personality, this actually gave him a feeling of superiority.

Therefore, he answered in an extremely calm and graceful manner.

: "...Yes. Because that person wanted to eat alone in the VIP room, their food was carried over there."

Therefore, Gohda's extremely graceful and reasonable response made it obvious to everyone that a 19th person, a visitor, existed...

: "VIP room? Guest? ...What, who are you talking about?"

Natsuhi's words echoed the question that everyone who didn't know about the visitor, the Golden Witch, was thinking.

Gohda was slightly disoriented, as though he hadn't thought Natsuhi would actually question him.

...It had been an honored guest spoken of so severely.

He hadn't imagined that Krauss and his wife might not have know.

: "Beatrice!! See, see! Beatrice came, uu-uu-uu-!!"

Maria had been telling the other cousins over and over again that she had met Beatrice that day.

...The cousins had answered, saying 'Isn't that nice', but they hadn't believed,

So, ...their eyes grew wide.

: "S, sorry. I was sure you were just joking, Maria... S, so, she really was there..."

: "...By Beatrice, ...you mean that Beatrice of the gold...?!"

: "Uu-!! Maria has been saying she 'exists' the whole time! No one believes!!"

: "Sorry, Maria-chan... That's not what we meant..."

After learning that everyone had doubted Beatrice's existence, Maria, who had been in a good mood all day, completely lost her temper.

...George, who sat in the next seat over, tried frantically to calm Maria.

: "Nii-san. Let's make this clear. ...Who is that? Surely you aren't going to tell us that it really is the Beatrice from that portrait, right?"

: "I don't have a clue what you people are talking about! Gohda, isn't this really a joke?!"

: "I, I, umm... I was just ordered by Genji-san, umm...!"

: "Call Genji. Immediately!!"

When Natsuhi yelled, Gohda shot out into the hallway.

At that time, with the sound of the door being thrown open as a spark, the dinner table was suddenly engulfed in an uproar.

: "So you say you don't know either, Aniki? Who called her? Was it Father?!"

: "...I don't know anything about this. It seems that you people believe that I have been pulling the strings behind the scenes, but that is a huge misunderstanding."

: "Calm down, Krauss nii-san. We are no longer at the stage where we can sound each other out. If you also say that you don't know this mystery person, the situation becomes ridiculous...!"

: "Hideyoshi-san, won't you be a little more discreet with you words? My husband would not invite unnecessary humans to the family conference."

But what about unnecessary witches?

: "I, met her...!"

Eva and Rudolf nodded at Rosa's proclamation.

: "Uu-! Maria also met her!! Krauss oji-san, belie-ve it! Believe Mama! Uu-uu-!"

The brief tension was broken, and Maria also started to make a ruckus.

...The room was already chaotic.

: "Rosa oba-san, ...are you, sure?"

: "...Yes. ...Maria and I met her, ...we even talked to her. ...I met her!! That was definitely a witch...! Believe it!! I definitely didn't see it wrong or hallucinate or anything! What, ...was that?!"

And she's got a letter to show them to prove it!

...In the instant before the typhoon visited...

...Rosa had definitely met with the witch.

But that scene had been so hard to accept as truth..., the more she spoke of it like this, the less she understood what it was she had met.

Ironically, because she had lost her composure and said that she had definitely met the witch, the more desperate she became, the more vague the witch's existence seemed.

Because, with that one composed sentence, she had definitely affirmed that existence.

: "Yes. ...But she didn't tell me her name. So I can't conclude that she was Beatrice. ...However, sorry if this is subjective, ...but since I met her in the entrance hall, I was able to compare her face with the portrait. ...My first impression was that, she was the subject of the portrait. ...This is all just subjective."

: "That isn't possible! In the first place, where did that woman come from? That boat will only make the trip to the island to escort everyone there and back. Was she riding on that boat?!"

: "...There's not much we can say if you ask us that. Of course, I have no memory of that woman getting off the boat with us."

It's easy to prove that a devil 'exists'. All you have to do is meet a devil.

But it is impossible to prove that devils 'don't exist'.

Just by saying that no one has ever met a devil, you can't deny the possibility that they're hiding away somewhere that humans cannot go.

...You can't deny the existence of aliens for exactly the same reasons.

Until humanity searches the whole of space and can show perfectly that aliens don't exist, you can't be sure that they don't exist.

And it's definitely impossible for us to ever check the entirety of space for the existence of aliens.

...Therefore, while there may be a number of ways to prove that aliens do exist, it is impossible to show proof that denies their existence.

: "...In that case, even if we discuss whether a boat separate from the one we rode on came to the island, we would just be wasting our time. ...She wasn't on the boat with us. That much is a fact, and she visited this island through some other means."

: "That's right. There may be no need to discuss how she came here. The essential point is the fact that she actually is in this mansion now, and doesn't feel like having dinner with us."

: "I don't know...! I don't know what you're talking about...!"

: "Be silent for a while. Your headache will get worse. ...It is as my wife says. I have no idea what you people have been talking about up until now."

: "Then there can be only one answer. ...Father called her. For today's family conference!"

: "For the family conference?! Then for what reason?!"

: "I don't know that! I thought you knew, Nii-san, that's why I thought I'd question you!"

: "Eva, could you give it a rest?! Krauss nii-san said that he doesn't know! ...So this is how it happened. Father stealthily invited the witch of the portrait as a secret guest. And she met with Rosa-san and Maria-chan and then Kyrie-san."

: "Does this mean that Father, who never had any interest in the family conference from the beginning, secretly called a new mistress here? And had her wear the clothes of his ideal witch? ...This day is too important for us to come to that conclusion."

: "There can be only one reason. To join in on the family conference. ...She wants to claim some right to Father's inheritance!"

: "Ridiculous!! The head wouldn't have something as filthy as a mistress!"

: "I told you to be silent! I've been in this mansion with Father the whole time, and I haven't heard about this once. ...At best, all we can guess is that Father's hidden mistress of several decades ago had a hidden child, ...and Father searched her out and called her today. ...Is that what you want to say?"

: "What act?!! If anyone is acting, it's you!!"

: "Quit it Aneki. ...This is a slightly reckless way to say it, but Natsuhi-san is correct. Kyrie saw her, I did not. Neither did you, Aneki. But Rosa did. ...However, that means that she 'exists'. Because there is someone who can prove that she 'exists', we directly conclude that she exists. It is the opposite pattern of the Devil's Proof."

: "I agree with you on that. I truly wish to enquire as to what business she has on Rokkenjima."

: "Don't say such obvious lies! She is after one thing. It's Father's inheritance! We should polish up any further strategy relating to the inheritance problem with a knowledgeable lawyer. If the mistress claims equal rights as Mother, then our shares will be cut right in half!"

: "...W, wait a second, everybody! Genji-san will come very soon. He knows everything. I'm sure he will answer our questions! Until then, let's stop talking about this!!"

And Rosa appears to have forgotten that she was supposed to bring out the letter with everyone present.

Well, I'm sure there's no way ignoring Beatrice's instruction can possibly end badly for her, right?

Rosa yelled at the children, slightly emotionally.

The children didn't understand why they were suddenly being yelled at this time, but Eva and the rest realized it too late.

They were talking so grandly about the filthy topic of the inheritance in front of the children.

...There was no way that they'd want their children to remain here.

So they all immediately agreed with Rosa's plan.

: "Th, that's right, just as Rosa-san says! George! Take all the cousins and go back to the guesthouse! Play nice with all of them!"

: "George, do as you're told. Take all of the cousins, and leave right now!"

: "Jessica. From here on, the adults will be talking together. Go."

: "...U, ...understood. ...Even though I'm still eating..."

: "...Guess that means I'm not the only exception."

: "Thank you for understanding, Battler-kun. ...But you sure are lucky."

: "Huh? Why?"

: "I'd want to leave if I could."

: "...Ihihihi! That's right. Why don't you adults have fun like adults, with your happy family get-together surrounding the inheritance."

When Nanjo rose from his seat, it urged the other people who were supposed to leave.

The children noisily rose from their seats and as they hurried into the hallway, the servants returned.

: "I apologize for taking so long... I have called Genji..."

: "...I was checking to see that all of the doors and windows were shut, so it took me some time. My apologies."

: "Come on! Children, to the guesthouse! Gohda-san, my apologies, but could you carry the children's portion of the dessert to the guesthouse?"

...He sent Natsuhi a look as though asking her whether that was really alright.

: "Do as Rosa-san says. After that, it will not be necessary to set out dessert for us. Try not to approach the dining hall until we call you. Tell that to the rest of the servants too. Alright?"

: "Y, ...yes. Certainly..."

: "Come, everyone. Shall we go? Even Maria-san must not trouble her Mother any further."

: "...You're really good, George nii-san. I'm moved."

: "Are you sure you don't have kids? You're too used to this, ihihi!"

Maria's mood was completely back to normal at George's words, and she took the initiative, saying that she wanted to go to the guesthouse.

It looked like Gohda didn't like being kicked out himself, but he didn't disobey Natsuhi, and left the room with Battler and the rest, closing the door...

: "...Do you all have some business?"

: "Yes, we do. A bunch of it. And we all do. So much that we almost want to have a lottery to see who asks the first question."

: "But no matter who wins the first lottery, the first question will be the same, won't it?"

I already linked this back when it was mentioned in Ep1, but here, have it again.

Next time: The temple of Beatrice

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Wouldn't be Umineko without plenty of petty squabbling in between the murdering parts. Gohda was pretty much created for this.

And we're heading for the action finally!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The game is afoot! :allears:

Soon-ish, at least.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
Game's about to start now.

19 people in the island, and a huge amount of stuff that can possibly happen.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Looking at the thread I thought I will see more people complaining about lack of updates, and what I find is a new update.
Maybe we should've complained earlier...

Meirlkor
Feb 18, 2013

Bholder posted:

Looking at the thread I thought I will see more people complaining about lack of updates, and what I find is a new update.
Maybe we should've complained earlier...

The man has a point!

Dammit Shiny777, where are the updates? (There, I've guaranteed us an update tomorrow).

Ushiromiya Kyrie posted:

"Yes. ...But she didn't tell me her name. So I can't conclude that she was Beatrice. ...However, sorry if this is subjective, ...but since I met her in the entrance hall, I was able to compare her face with the portrait. ...My first impression was that, she was the subject of the portrait. ...This is all just subjective."

That's a very safe, guarded statement. It's seriously giving no ground to assumptions. A little excessive, if anything. Most people would have just said "Yep, I saw Beatrice alright." Lots of suspicion being thrown around right here.

Meirlkor fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 24, 2013

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Well, Kyrie has been established as someone who seems well-versed in the kind of thinking you'd want to solve mysteries, so I wouldn't say that statement is out of character.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Meirlkor posted:

The man has a point!

Dammit Shiny777, where are the updates? (There, I've guaranteed us an update tomorrow).

Sure, why not? As long as we're on a fresh page by then, since this one's got effectively about 3 on it already.

friendlyNeurotoxin
Sep 14, 2011

Super High-school Level Slacker
Shiny777 update the LP! Jesting aside the man is a saint if he is trying to transcribe this directly from the game.

(By the way will you be posting the character soundtrack/vocal themes that weren't in the VN, I'm not sure if they were added to the PS3 patch I was linked Happy Halloween Maria before the second game. It changed the tone a wee bit. ).

friendlyNeurotoxin fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally Forth
Oct 16, 2012

Shiny777 posted:

Sure, why not? As long as we're on a fresh page by then, since this one's got effectively about 3 on it already.

Doing my bit then.

Goddamn George is creepy. It's not even surprising anymore that he's planned out Shannon's entire life, right down to the sports that the kids she's expected to have will play.

• Locked thread