Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah you can. You just have to search for the base game, not ultimate edition.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22380/

mind you even with the sale all the DLC is 5.74 so there's no reason not to get the UE at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You can, just not (with with very few if any exceptions) if you don't own the base game on Steam.

Are there any copies of Fallout: New Vegas that are legit, for Windows, and not Steamworks?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've never really wanted the Gun Runner's Arsenal because I'd rather scavenge and repair than stock up on caps and buy weapons, but 50¢! drat!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Are there any copies of Fallout: New Vegas that are legit, for Windows, and not Steamworks?

I'm pretty sure even retail box copies use Steamworks, so no.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Sir Unimaginative posted:

No. When people say "non-Steam copy" they're basically using code-talk for :filez:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I have everything F:NV on my PS3, and I am getting the ultimate edition from Steam because it is $5 and the PS3 version is basically unplayable after your save file gets too big. It will be good to actually be able to play this game again, with mod support even.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've never really wanted the Gun Runner's Arsenal because I'd rather scavenge and repair than stock up on caps and buy weapons, but 50¢! drat!

The trouble is by the endgame you're going to be falling over yourself with caps no matter what, so it's good to have something fun to spend it on.

There's also a certain appeal in doing something like raiding Hidden Valley at Level 3 and selling it all off to carry a superweapon through the game. I've done it with that three-shot rifle with crooked sights that Cliff Briscoe sells, as well as the MF Hyperbreeder Alpha. It was fun, if absurdly gamebreaking.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Thundarr posted:

I have everything F:NV on my PS3, and I am getting the ultimate edition from Steam because it is $5 and the PS3 version is basically unplayable after your save file gets too big. It will be good to actually be able to play this game again, with mod support even.

Welcome to how F:NV was meant to be played

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The mod thread for FNV just got updated so the OP is chock-full of Good Things for you to consider. Such timing!

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I just got this off the Steam sale, downloading now and appearently Chandler Bing is in the game???
I'm looking forward to Skyrim with guns or something, I have never played this kind game before.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Spergminer posted:

I just got this off the Steam sale, downloading now and appearently Chandler Bing is in the game???
I'm looking forward to Skyrim with guns or something, I have never played this kind game before.

Yeah, he has a somewhat short, but very significant role.

mild spoiler:Dave Foley of NewsRadio is locked in his bedroom, which makes this game interesting for someone who watched a lot of sitcoms in the 1990s :v:

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Spergminer posted:

This game is much better than skyrim with guns.

It's morrowind with guns.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Shrinkage posted:

This game is much better than skyrim with guns.

It's morrowind with guns.

Well it's far less clunky than Morrowind.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
How well does this run on an integrated graphics card in a laptop? I played this a bit on the PS3 but the bugginess broke a bunch of quests and after a while made the game crash every 5-10 minutes and all I have for PC gaming is a laptop at the moment.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Dodecalypse posted:

How well does this run on an integrated graphics card in a laptop? I played this a bit on the PS3 but the bugginess broke a bunch of quests and after a while made the game crash every 5-10 minutes and all I have for PC gaming is a laptop at the moment.

I can't remember if the laptop I took on my deployment had an integrated graphics card, but other than being a bit less smooth and responsive it was fine. Of course, I'm a product of FO1/2 and use VATS most of the time, so that doesn't affect my combat that much.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I can play on the highest settings with my intel 4000 HD laptop. Bethesda's Gamebryo may be poo poo but it can run on a lot of machines.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
The Ultimate Edition is $5 at the moment on Steam seriously go and buy it if you haven't already.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

I can play on the highest settings with my intel 4000 HD laptop. Bethesda's Gamebryo may be poo poo but it can run on a lot of machines.

I am doing this but at High settings, 3rd level, on my Intel 3000 HD. The game runs fine, I can run at the highest but it does clip when things get hairy.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Re-installed after a long absence with a fresh run of mods and man I'd forgotten how fun this was. According to steam I've put in 248 hours and I'm still finding things, or other approaches to things, I never really considered.

Arcade, for instance, became the meal at the Ultra-Luxe.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
New Vegas specifically runs pretty well until there are more than three or four NPCs on screen at once or you get into a shootout with more than a few enemies, then it tanks pretty hard.

Speaking of Gamebryo though, is anyone else really bothered by the dumb clunky movement in both Fallout 3 and NV? Jumping takes a second before your character actually jumps, your character wobbles and takes a second to move when you hit a movement button, it's just maddening how sluggish it feels to walk around.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of Gamebryo though, is anyone else really bothered by the dumb clunky movement in both Fallout 3 and NV? Jumping takes a second before your character actually jumps, your character wobbles and takes a second to move when you hit a movement button, it's just maddening how sluggish it feels to walk around.

Yes, the game runs smoothly, but any kind of precision movement is impossible. The worst thing is that the shooting is equally sluggish.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've always thought the reason that shooting is so clunky in FNV is the horrible NPC movement- compared to something like a modern military shooter where people move fairly fluidly, FNV characters tend to just jerk around and zig-zag without any warning- it makes it a pain in the rear end to predict where they're going to go if you're trying to snipe them.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
It doesn't help that the engine is plagued with terrible microstuttering.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

A swell goon just got me the complete edition of this in the summer sale thread and it's great but I have a little problem. Any time my controller is plugged in it removes the mouse cursor from the game. Is there a way to stop this other than unplugging the controller?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kly posted:

A swell goon just got me the complete edition of this in the summer sale thread and it's great but I have a little problem. Any time my controller is plugged in it removes the mouse cursor from the game. Is there a way to stop this other than unplugging the controller?

Unplug the controller, lots of games with 360 pad support will switch to "pad mode" if it detects the slightest input from the controller, even a slight nudge of the stick.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you have a controller plugged in, NV will automatically choose it over the mouse when you start the game. Unplugging it is unfortuantely the only way to get it to not use it by default.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Kly posted:

Use the controller to turn it off in the control menus, and then you'll be able to use your mouse.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

Use the controller to turn it off in the control menus, and then you'll be able to use your mouse.

Perfect! Thank you. I know unplugging it was the obvious answer but it's easy to forget to unplug it before starting the game.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Hammer Floyd posted:

One thing that I know will never happen (but I'd like to) is to see a bit more nastier content in FNV. I remember the controversy with the whole Morphine = Med-X thing so it definitely wouldn't happen. I also don't think you should be able to shoot the kids or anything like that. However, the setting and the environment sets everything up to paint a pretty drat bleak picture. To me, it felt like they were holding back on some ideas instead of going all out. EG: I reckon they could've made the Fiends utterly deplorable. The whole anarchic environment generally gives you the sense that anything goes, so it can be a bit jarring when the game feels restrained. You're in a world where there is only kinda a law. I think that idea could have been dug up a bit more, but again, I know it wouldn't happen.

I think in Westside there's a quest that revolves around a bunch of slavers, one of which was also a pedophile rapist, selling a bunch of kids to the Fiends. One of the Fiends being a dude who "fucks everything he roasts" and "roasts everything he fucks".

That's pretty hosed up, I think.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Question: A friend gifted me NV while it was on sale, enjoying it enormously. Intending to get the DLC shortly. When the DLC is added, is it added to games in progress, or only new games?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wolfechu posted:

Question: A friend gifted me NV while it was on sale, enjoying it enormously. Intending to get the DLC shortly. When the DLC is added, is it added to games in progress, or only new games?

DLC works fine with in-progress games.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

DLC works fine with in-progress games.

Sweet. I get the feeling this will get multiple playthroughs anyhow, I just didn't fancy having new games running aside my first one.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

^^^The DLC for this game is awesome. Pick up a couple mods, especially the JSawyer mod. That thing makes everything feel more real.

Phimose Knight posted:

I think in Westside there's a quest that revolves around a bunch of slavers, one of which was also a pedophile rapist, selling a bunch of kids to the Fiends. One of the Fiends being a dude who "fucks everything he roasts" and "roasts everything he fucks".

That's pretty hosed up, I think.

Cook-Cook! He's got a great recipe!

Actually there is a ton of messed up stuff. The Areotech Office Park/North Vegas has all the drug dealers/slavers. You should also find out what happened to Boone's wife.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Wolfechu posted:

Sweet. I get the feeling this will get multiple playthroughs anyhow, I just didn't fancy having new games running aside my first one.
Just remember that you can't play New Vegas after the final quest, so you'll need to do the dLCs before then. There's a pop-up before the final quest begins to let you know you're about to enter Endgame, so don't worry about passing the point of no return.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Just remember that you can't play New Vegas after the final quest, so you'll need to do the dLCs before then. There's a pop-up before the final quest begins to let you know you're about to enter Endgame, so don't worry about passing the point of no return.

I'm level four, working all week, and not buying the DLC till Friday. Don't think I'll be hitting the endgame before then ;)

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

If you're only level 4, it's worth getting all the DLC and starting over just so you can run the JSawyer mod. It makes things a little more difficult, but fixes so much that I wouldn't consider playing New Vegas without it.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Guys, I really don't think playing with jsawyer.esp your first time through is a good idea. Really as a general rule you should familiarize yourself with the bulk of the game before even considering rebalancing mods.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Guys, I really don't think playing with jsawyer.esp your first time through is a good idea. Really as a general rule you should familiarize yourself with the bulk of the game before even considering rebalancing mods.

HTFU. I played with it straight up and it was good.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

The only mods I've added so far are a couple supposed to help with the music stuttering and miscellaneous performance improvements; my lovely single core PC needs all the help it can get. Saying that, it runs remarkably well, even on medium graphics settings.

Other mods will be added, I'm sure, but I do wanna play through the straight game first, DLC or no. I feel bad enough for skipping Fallout 3 and going straight to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

I don't think JSawyer makes the game unreasonably difficult for new players, it just balances out a lot of the super overpowered DLC stuff that can really ruin the game.