Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Rhyno posted:

They could cast her as the elderly Rani before she regenerates.

....into Susan!:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Rory Kinnear already said he's not the Doctor, from two days ago:

"I don't where it [speculation] came from and how these things evolve. I haven't been and I am totally certain that I will not be asked to be the next Doctor Who. If I was an actor who was really longing to play Doctor Who, then this would be torturous, but it's a program I've never watched, so I don't even really know what it is."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That's some amazing blinkers he's got there. Apparently he was never a child.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

NarkyBark posted:

Rory Kinnear already said he's not the Doctor, from two days ago:

"I don't where it [speculation] came from and how these things evolve. I haven't been and I am totally certain that I will not be asked to be the next Doctor Who. If I was an actor who was really longing to play Doctor Who, then this would be torturous, but it's a program I've never watched, so I don't even really know what it is."

That's always an odd sort of statement from a British actor his age, and seems like they're trying too hard to not know what it is so people will stop asking. It's just within the realms of possibility that he detests watching TV and always has, but it'd be like claiming he doesn't know what Casualty or Coronation Street are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wolfechu posted:

That's always an odd sort of statement from a British actor his age, and seems like they're trying too hard to not know what it is so people will stop asking. It's just within the realms of possibility that he detests watching TV and always has, but it'd be like claiming he doesn't know what Casualty or Coronation Street are.

It's like people who say they have never seen Star Wars. Filthy liars, every one of them.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
They haven't asked him to take the role because they intend to force him at gunpoint. Critics will laud his performance as "haunted with a touching vulnerability".

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

Carole Ann Ford has been really active in the Doctor Who community lately. I guess it wouldn't make much sense to give her a part these days. Her story kind of finished up, they'd have to find a way to write in another Timelord, and realistically, she'd probably have regenerated. Still, it would be nice if they could give her a chance at the role again, especially since she feels like she didn't have the opportunity to do her best with it before. :unsmith:

If you really wanted to do a Susan story, it'd be conceivable that she lived a hard but relatively safe life helping to rebuild Earth and is now towards the end of her first life and ready to regenerate purely from "old" age like the Doctor towards the end of Bill's tenure. The whole thing would be pretty fanwanky and navel-gazey and probably never actually be made but it would be a nice way to return to the series beginnings and could play pretty well as some introspective development for the Doctor, too. Would make for an interesting mirror with the Doctor looking almost as young as Susan did when they parted ways, and she older than he was at the time.

I don't know that I'd want them to do it, but Carole Ann Ford is fabulous so I'd go for it anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jose Mengelez posted:

Critics will laud his performance as "haunted with a touching vulnerability".

Like that time he hosed a pig.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

:thejoke:

I wonder how long until we get to meet Mr. 12, regardless. Pig loving optional.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Burkion posted:

:thejoke:

I wonder how long until we get to meet Mr. 12, regardless. Pig loving optional.

Hey hey hey! Hey. He didn't spend 50 years at the Academy loving about and barely passing to be called Mister 12.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

The_Doctor posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr9y40F3qu4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUCHcEUksSVKsRDH86j77Ntg

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

We're still far enough out that we're not going to see any real spoilers (which is fine by me), but there are these tiny little hints along the way:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/15/doctor-who-composer-teases-controversial-50th-anniversary-special-3882870/?ITO=news-sitemap

I think Matt Smith has said something similar about the chemistry, that there's a slight bit of competition but that it's mostly the two of them thinking it's really cool to have them both in the same place.

"Controversial" doesn't sound good.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

"Controversial" doesn't sound good.

I swear, if they go back in time to 1963 and have the Doctor assassinate Kennedy :argh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

qntm posted:

I swear, if they go back in time to 1963 and have the Doctor assassinate Kennedy :argh:

He will have to beat Spock or the reporter.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

He will have to beat Spock or the reporter.

I thought Kennedy was assassinated by a temporal copy of himself, aided and abetted by Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and the Cat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metal Loaf posted:

I thought Kennedy was assassinated by a temporal copy of himself, aided and abetted by Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and the Cat.

I thought he was stabbed like Shannon with a time traveling knife bullet.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I think the "controversial" thing is going to be having the First Doctor involved in some way. Controversial because it's obviously a recast version.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

qntm posted:

Nah, we already did that story. It was pretty good, too.

http://nzdwfc.tetrap.com/archive/wkk/

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ManBuyCow/status/356749176379412480/photo/1

What is this nonsense?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
That's not even Moffat's Sherlock

EDIT: Also, I don't seen anything on Google about an actor named "Howard Stretch"

Riptor fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 15, 2013

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Man, Freeman went through some changes after the finale...

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Stormageddon posted:

Man, Freeman went through some changes after the finale...

He's got some great legs for a hobbit. And lovely hair, too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Oh cool, the superior Sherlock series is filming here!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The "controversial" thing is probably just the whole 'previously unseen regeneration' thing they seem to be doing with the Hurt Doctor.

Though as I said in the other thread, I'd totally be down with Bradley and Grant popping up.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
Bleeding Cool has been "hearing more" of Daniel Rigby as the next Doctor. Which, given the track record, probably means it's definitely not Daniel Rigby.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

chazburgr posted:

Bleeding Cool has been "hearing more" of Daniel Rigby as the next Doctor. Which, given the track record, probably means it's definitely not Daniel Rigby.

Oh god the BT ads berk. No thanks.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

The_Doctor posted:

Oh god the BT ads berk. No thanks.

So are they just going through everyone who's starred in an episode of black mirror?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Did anyone correctly guess Matt Smith last time around?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

scary ghost dog posted:

Did anyone correctly guess Matt Smith last time around?

Not that I recall.

Of all the actors I haven't heard of I think Freddie Fox might be a good fit. But with 2 movies and a handful of television appearances under his belt, even he might be too high profile.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jose Mengelez posted:

Not that I recall.

Of all the actors I haven't heard of I think Freddie Fox might be a good fit. But with 2 movies and a handful of television appearances under his belt, even he might be too high profile.

Eccelstone had made plenty of film and tv appearances on both sides of the pond prior to taking the role.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Eccelstone had made plenty of film and tv appearances on both sides of the pond prior to taking the role.

He's sort of the exception to the rule, though, and it's probably because reviving the series was risky at best, so they wanted someone with a little more celebrity.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Found it funny Eccelstone quit just to end up on a worse show, Heroes.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Is there a reason so many people spell it Ecclestone? At first I thought it was a singular typo, but I've seen it that way a lot of places. It's clearly supposed to be Eccleston.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I could have sworn it said "Ecclestone" in the opening credits of his episodes. Upon checking though, it doesn't. Whoops!

That reminds me though, I've seen a bunch of people inexplicably refer to Moffat as Steven Moffatt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blasphemeral posted:

Is there a reason so many people spell it Ecclestone? At first I thought it was a singular typo, but I've seen it that way a lot of places. It's clearly supposed to be Eccleston.

It's because of this guy.

Ecclestone.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

In a shocking twist that no one saw coming, the Daleks will be in the 50th Anniversary Special:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/The-Daleks-to-Return-in-the-Anniversary-Special

EDIT: One more:

Tomtrek fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 22, 2013

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
That kind of round mantle to the left of the Dalek in the second picture looks like it could be Gallifreyan. John Hurt is the Time War Doctor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

00Kevin posted:

That kind of round mantle to the left of the Dalek in the second picture looks like it could be Gallifreyan. John Hurt is the Time War Doctor.

Yeah I see it, a few Timey Lordy looky stuff in the background.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

00Kevin posted:

The descriptions of the 50th anniversary trailer from comic-con are confirming it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Yannick_B posted:

The descriptions of the 50th anniversary trailer from comic-con are confirming it.

But it looks like Moff has put the kibosh on any actual videos getting out before the official release, on pain of no more comic-con presentations in the future. Considering Who fans' track record when people ask nicely (or threaten to take their ball and go home, in this case), I don't expect we'll see a leak.

• Locked thread