Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Friar Zucchini posted:

How many Lotus cars are there in America anyway? I'm at a military base within spitting distance from Laguna Seca and there's an orange Lotus of some sort floating around here, and I saw it on post today. The exhaust sounded pretty crazy.

I see a couple Elises a year. Just saw one a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

How many Lotus cars are there in America anyway? I'm at a military base within spitting distance from Laguna Seca and there's an orange Lotus of some sort floating around here, and I saw it on post today. The exhaust sounded pretty crazy.

There is a Lotus dealership in PDX (where I am at.) Even with the ease of access, you only see a couple out and about on special occasions. Oddly though, the ones that I do come across are the limited production run (240 Cup, 260) examples. In those build-outs, they're just finicky in wet weather, so that may account for a lot. The example above has nothing to it, I'm not sure it would be comfortable at all on the street, zero interior, a gorgeous fixed-back seat, extinguisher system, miscellaneous factory-installed racing components... so it will sit for a few months now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I actually saw an S4 Esprit of all things the other day, wish I'd gotten a picture.

Speaking of, I did get this shot today of a California I came across:

Sweet license plate meme bro.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I recently learned that the lights at the bottom are the brake lights. The ones at the top on the deck lid are just markers and maybe reverse lights

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010
Regarding compound turbo chat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin-turbo Go down to compound turbo. Generally the flow of a big turbo and slightly more lag than a small one. The giant stainless octopus manifold picture that shows up every so often from a supra with all the ugly welds is a proper bypass compound setup despite the look. And you thought turbo cars were complicated and had high under hood temps before. Miles of exhaust piping two turbos, two wastegates, and possibly two intercoolers don't help.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Fucknag posted:

I actually saw an S4 Esprit of all things the other day, wish I'd gotten a picture.

Still looks like a big car swallowing a small car whole.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Speaking of Lotuses (Lotusii?), I came across an Evora S Today.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Devyl posted:

Speaking of Lotuses (Lotusii?), I came across an Evora S Today.

Lotus cars :science:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Friar Zucchini posted:

Lotus Elises are pretty drat common in California.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Fucknag posted:

I maintain that it looks like a snake eating an SLK.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

thealphabetsez posted:

I was visiting a friend's garage to pickup some parts for my car today, upon pulling up noticed he had his dust shelf of a 993 911 Turbo outside (they were moving cars to put mouse traps, haha.) I hadn't notice his license plate previously:

Then I noticed a new addition to the fantasy factory:

1 of 10 (I've been told) in the US. It will lead a life exclusive to the next season of Lotus Cup!

So what is it like to be able to just let a 911 turbo collect dust?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

veedubfreak posted:

In my dreams I'll find out someday.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

His situation is one I'd love to experience myself. Above the Lotus Cup is a Lancia Delta Integrale Evo in the full Martini getup, immediately to the left sits one of his Subaru STi builds, and above that the red Renault Turbo 5 that was posted on Autoblog a year and a half back. On the other side of the warehouse sits an E46 M3 racecar convertible (lol) Lotus Exige 260, and an S54 E36/8 M Coupe, so it's a bit of a breath taker any chance I get to walk in. The Porsche was only out to hunt down the mouse that was walking atop it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
poo poo, one of the dealerships I've dealt with through work has poo poo like this.....

....which is the least desirable thing that spends most of its life under a cover. I used to get mad at rich people hoarding cool cars, but at least they still exist and are being preserved.

e- totally random and pointless but right as I hit the post button a Fox body Mustang with a 6-71 blower just drove past my house. It's some kind of sign.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 12, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Randoms from the phone

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Spotted this Caddy about a month ago in the Greenlake area of Seattle. Nice. I guess it's a '59, is it the Series 60?

My dad spotted this Pontiac Tempest and was curious what year it is. I know it's 61-63, but was curious if there are differences year to year?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

CharlesM posted:

Spotted this Caddy about a month ago in the Greenlake area of Seattle. Nice. I guess it's a '59, is it the Series 60?

I believe that's a fleetwood, actually. Just not the stretch kind.

Not Automotive, really, but I saw this awesome chap on a recent group ride in Charlotte.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CharlesM posted:

My dad spotted this Pontiac Tempest and was curious what year it is. I know it's 61-63, but was curious if there are differences year to year?

It's a 61 or 62. The 63 did not have that full-length fold at the top of the body.

A '63:

The 61 had a separate grille around each headlamp cluster, the 62 added grille in the middle of the two to make it full-width.

The '63 had a different grille, too.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

thealphabetsez posted:

His situation is one I'd love to experience myself. Above the Lotus Cup is a Lancia Delta Integrale Evo in the full Martini getup, immediately to the left sits one of his Subaru STi builds, and above that the red Renault Turbo 5 that was posted on Autoblog a year and a half back. On the other side of the warehouse sits an E46 M3 racecar convertible (lol) Lotus Exige 260, and an S54 E36/8 M Coupe, so it's a bit of a breath taker any chance I get to walk in. The Porsche was only out to hunt down the mouse that was walking atop it.

I know the shop you're talking about, my jaw dropped when I first saw all those cars.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Spotted in the parking lot at work recently:

Outside Canadian Tire this past weekend:

Sorry for the silly filter, it was the only way to get some of the details to show up.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Flying Fortress posted:

Spotted in the parking lot at work recently:

Outside Canadian Tire this past weekend:

Sorry for the silly filter, it was the only way to get some of the details to show up.

Is that an Elan with Europa headlights ?

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

MrSaturn posted:

I believe that's a fleetwood, actually. Just not the stretch kind.

It actually says "FLEETWOOD" on the fender, so you're right.

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

A guy in my work garage used to have this:

and now he has this:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Q_res posted:

It actually says "FLEETWOOD" on the fender, so you're right.

Yeah it does, I just thought that was a trim they had across several lines rather than a separate model for those years.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

CharlesM posted:

Yeah it does, I just thought that was a trim they had across several lines rather than a separate model for those years.

There were 4 Fleetwood models. What you posted is the Fleetwood Sixty Special, it was the only "normal" Fleetwood. So you weren't wrong about it being a Series 60. The others were Fleetwood 75s (the long-wheelbase factory limousines) and, of course, the commercial chassis that was used for Ambulances/Hearses and such things.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Allow me to contribute, the 1931 Scania (Vabis 3258?) fire engine that led the victory cruise at Power Meet, 1920 width:

Manual gear, listed as carrying up to eight passengers, 5910 kilograms.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C390215

"There was no doomsday, so I don't need him anymore"

Also

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

swampnutz posted:

A guy in my work garage used to have this:

and now he has this:

Those do look drat good in red...I'd love to track down a Henna one someday.

Took mine out for a drive and some pictures today

1988, 80k miles, all original and awesome

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Those do look drat good in red...I'd love to track down a Henna one someday.

Took mine out for a drive and some pictures today

1988, 80k miles, all original and awesome

I'm insanely jealous of you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Not quite as awesome as some other stuff, not my picture, but I'd totally drive this.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Hope I'm not repeating something that everybody already knows, but I thought I would post this.

This is the closest thing I have seen to an American version of Top Gear that doesn't suck rear end. The two hosts, David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan, work for Hot Rod magazine and actually are very funny, likable guys that know tons about cars. The good episodes boil down to them doing AI poo poo like parking lot motor swaps and road side repair jobs while they cannonball across the country. I usually end up laughing my rear end off and learning a lot about cars from the good episodes.

Some of my favorites:
Parking lot motor swap
Parking lot blower install on lovely old Jaguar
Rat rod Jeep

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Try a GIS for "vallåkra volvo". It's a big Volvo meet here in Sweden, and for some reason people build all kinds of strange things to attend with.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
More info on that zany beetle:

http://www.vwboxerclub.de/daten/kurioses/pinklady/

It's so over the top tacky I love it like I love carnival rides.

(I don't know if I could look at it every day)

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Hope I'm not repeating something that everybody already knows, but I thought I would post this.

This is the closest thing I have seen to an American version of Top Gear that doesn't suck rear end. The two hosts, David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan, work for Hot Rod magazine and actually are very funny, likable guys that know tons about cars. The good episodes boil down to them doing AI poo poo like parking lot motor swaps and road side repair jobs while they cannonball across the country. I usually end up laughing my rear end off and learning a lot about cars from the good episodes.

Some of my favorites:
Parking lot motor swap
Rat rod Jeep

David Freiburger is actually the editor-in-chief of Hot Rod Magazine. Their series is quite good and the Draguar is monstrously badass. IT hits home for me especially, as my father-in-law has a 73 XJ12 with a SBC swap. His is metallic BRG and in overall better shape, but I still want to show him that episode with the hope that the next time I see the Jag, it has a 6-71 sticking out of the hood.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

some texas redneck posted:

Not quite as awesome as some other stuff, not my picture, but I'd totally drive this.

Love the numberplate

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
That pink beetle makes me think of lowriders. And I love well-executed over-the-top lowriders.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Some of my favorites:
Parking lot motor swap
Rat rod Jeep

Roadkill is probably the greatest automotive thing on Youtube, along with Chris Harris on Cars. Some of Motortrend's and Drive's other stuff is decent as well, but those two are in a league of their own.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Roadkill is fantastic. I feel like a huge nerd saying this, but it's better because of the total lack of stagyness to it. It's all legitimate and technically accurate and funny within that framework, not a bunch of bullshit 'spontaneous' set-pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Gotta agree about Roadkill and Chris Harris. Best loving car shows on the Net bar none

Mighty Car Mods is pretty good tho season 5 has been a bit lame in places.