Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The opening sniper spree is one of the most tense and effective massacre scenes I've seen in a movie in a long time. My stomach was pretty much in my throat the entire time he was sweeping the scope over these people that had no idea what was about to happen. The rest of the movie felt too long and and a bit boring though, ultimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The opening scene is also great because it uses the first person shots to basically put the audience into the position of the sniper, which ties in with the overarching theme of the cause of all these problems being a societal one not easily reducible to 'just one lunatic' or anything similar.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I didn't even know Werner Herzog was in the film until someone pointed out that he was the villian. I was like WTC , that's such a bizzare thing. So it gets a pass because Werner Herzog and it was actually a half way decent film. I thought the car chase was impressive.

Is Tom Cruise one of the few actors to do his dangerous stunts, I mean the man was almost fifty and was literally running across a skyscraper in Ghost Protocol, plus he did a lot of stunts in Jack Reacher.

Just find it strange that people are like " Yeah, that's cool guy go ahead and do that, if you die we'll wait what...?!?"

For those that don't know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRidzH7j-gk

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 13, 2013

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Hollis posted:

I didn't even know Werner Herzog was in the film until someone pointed out that he was the villian. I was like WTC , that's such a bizzare thing. So it gets a pass because Werner Herzog and it was actually a half way decent film. I thought the car chase was impressive.

Is Tom Cruise one of the few actors to do his dangerous stunts, I mean the man was almost fifty and was literally running across a skyscraper in Ghost Protocol, plus he did a lot of stunts in Jack Reacher.

Just find it strange that people are like " Yeah, that's cool guy go ahead and do that, if you die we'll wait what...?!?"

For those that don't know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRidzH7j-gk

Stars "do their own stunts" for publicity. It makes for a better story. If an actor is injured, the movie could end up as a gigantic waste of money, so actors don't actually do their own stunts.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Ben X is a Belgian movie about a boy with autism who is mercilessly tormented by a pair of bullies. I've read that it was based on a true story, and the boy in question went ahead with his suicide. What was his name and where did he die?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Baron Bifford posted:

Ben X is a Belgian movie about a boy with autism who is mercilessly tormented by a pair of bullies. I've read that it was based on a true story, and the boy in question went ahead with his suicide. What was his name and where did he die?

Based on this article http://articles.latimes.com/2008/nov/23/entertainment/ca-indieeye23 since writer/directo/author of the original novel/ is Belgian, I'd assume Belgium. Names of teenage suicide victims are often not printed, at least in American papers, and it's doubtful the news story made international headlines anyways. So you'd have to go digging through Belgian papers around the time he started writing the book. If you can read whatever language it was printed in (I don't know enough about Belgium to know whether most books are in Dutch, French or German) The book it was based on "Nothing is All He Said," might have some more clues, but if they're keeping the kid anonymous in the movie I doubt the book gives many more details.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

nocal posted:

Stars "do their own stunts" for publicity. It makes for a better story. If an actor is injured, the movie could end up as a gigantic waste of money, so actors don't actually do their own stunts.

Or they do their own stunts because they can, and it looks better on camera.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Or because they're batshit loving Tom Cruise crazy.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

scary ghost dog posted:

Or they do their own stunts because they can, and it looks better on camera.

Like Jackie Chan! That was always part of the appeal with his movies.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Or because they're batshit loving Tom Cruise crazy.

Speaking of Tom Cruise being crazy, Leah Remini left the Church of Scientology.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
I'm going to ask the most important question that has ever been asked in filmdom:

In Total Recall did Quato eat, or did he like, just digest what his host ate?

(It's a given that they both pooped out of the same hole)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

nocal posted:

Cruise has it put into his contract that he will. He's one of the very few actors that do though. He reasoned that for one he finds it a thrill to do and secondly it means the director can get better shots if he's not having to shoot around a stunt double (oddly enough Face/Off is one of the worst for that. It seems neither actor could take 3 steps without getting a stuntman in there).

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

I'm going to ask the most important question that has ever been asked in filmdom:

In Total Recall did Quato eat, or did he like, just digest what his host ate?

(It's a given that they both pooped out of the same hole)

Quato was fed one piece of corn-on-the-cob every other day with a multivitamin on Wednesday.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

Cruise has it put into his contract that he will. He's one of the very few actors that do though. He reasoned that for one he finds it a thrill to do and secondly it means the director can get better shots if he's not having to shoot around a stunt double (oddly enough Face/Off is one of the worst for that. It seems neither actor could take 3 steps without getting a stuntman in there).

I think part of it is that technology is available to make dangerous stunts much safer. Not just digital work to remove wires, but machines and equipment that can be relied upon.

Tom Cruise may be crazy, but I think it's great he puts himself through stunts and stuff like that. It really does make a difference and certainly made Ghost Protocol more entertaining.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Egbert Souse posted:

I think part of it is that technology is available to make dangerous stunts much safer. Not just digital work to remove wires, but machines and equipment that can be relied upon.

Tom Cruise may be crazy, but I think it's great he puts himself through stunts and stuff like that. It really does make a difference and certainly made Ghost Protocol more entertaining.

Oh yeah that's true, but there's still a hell of a lot of actors who either won't or don't want to do their stunts. I think Cruise has explained a few times that while he's a daredevil and he loves doing it, he feels like it gives the Director way more options when they're shooting. Still, anything is better than an actors face being pasted over a stuntman. Take a look at Public Enemies for that terrible moment where Depp's face gets planted over a stuntman who's doing an INCREDIBLY easy hop over a desk.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

DrVenkman posted:

Take a look at Public Enemies for that terrible moment where Depp's face gets planted over a stuntman who's doing an INCREDIBLY easy hop over a desk.

Haha, I never noticed that. What scene is it? I've got it on DVD, I wanna look for it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I thought that Scarlett Johanson's character in the Marvel comic book movies was particularly bad for looking like a stuntwoman whenever she did some martial arts moves. I just didn't buy her as a capable fighter at all. I'm not saying she should have done all her own stunts but it's always good to cast someone who can at least throw a few punches and kicks when the character is supposed to be an elite martial artist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DNS posted:

Haha, I never noticed that. What scene is it? I've got it on DVD, I wanna look for it.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Yeah, I thought he meant that shot. Is that a completely CGI face? I never noticed that before.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
To be fair, Depp is 50 years old so he might not be as spry as he looks.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Schweinhund posted:

He was 44 when they shot it. And I mean, c'mon, Harrison Ford was in his mid-60s when he was doing most of his own stunts on Crystal Skull.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Schweinhund posted:

He seemed to be getting around okay doing Buster Keaton stuff in The Lone Ranger.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Doesn't that have more to do with the fact that Depp basically learned to be Buster Keaton for Benny & Joon and enjoys doing that sort of physical humor?

I mean, how long did Keaton keep that up? He was doing the pratfalls and stuff way too far into old age for little reimbursement - like into his mid-60s, from what I remember.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Has anybody seen The Godfather Saga or Godfather: The Complete Epic? Are they poorly edited cash-ins, or worth hunting down?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

Doesn't that have more to do with the fact that Depp basically learned to be Buster Keaton for Benny & Joon and enjoys doing that sort of physical humor?

For sure, which means he could hop over a drat counter.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
For all we know that was a pickup shot and Depp wasn't even there to do it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, probably. I'm sure they didn't expect it to be one of the few things people remembered from Public Enemies.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Watching Inception last night got me wondering:

Has there ever been a movie that explored an alternate world that didn't sprinkle the "But what if the Real World was fake too?" moment? Maybe it's because I've seen so many films of that nature, but it seems each one does that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Watching Inception last night got me wondering:

Has there ever been a movie that explored an alternate world that didn't sprinkle the "But what if the Real World was fake too?" moment? Maybe it's because I've seen so many films of that nature, but it seems each one does that.

The Matrix movies? I know people speculated about there being another layer to the world but the movie itself never looks at that idea.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

muscles like this? posted:

The Matrix movies? I know people speculated about there being another layer to the world but the movie itself never looks at that idea.

The ending of the second one certainly implies this as a possibility, even if that's not how it eventually ends up.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Yeah Tom Cruise is so manly and Johnny Depp is so lame. It's because Tom Cruise does his own stunts.

(if they do their own stunts, maybe check the credits for stuntmen)

e: I forgot! Check out interviews with stars where they claim they ad-libbed their entire role! This is actually surprisingly common, considering it's so obviously false. The last one I can recall off the top of my head is Jessica Alba, but this is the same kind of "bragging for the cameras" that stars do to market their films.

nocal fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 15, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Which film started the "he can't come to the phone, he's tied up now" (which cuts to the person actually being tied up) gag?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

nocal posted:

Yeah Tom Cruise is so manly and Johnny Depp is so lame. It's because Tom Cruise does his own stunts.

That won't tell you a thing -- check Jackie Chan movies, there are still stuntmen. They don't just fill in for Major Star, they are also the people that dodge out of the way of the car chase through a street market, they sub in for bad guys getting thrown down a flight of stairs, etc etc. I have no idea whether Tom Cruise does all his own stunts or not, but the presence of stunt actors in the credits is entirely irrelevant to that point.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Can anyone think of any art films about sports/athletes?

The only one I can come up with off of the top of my head is The Wrestler.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

That won't tell you a thing -- check Jackie Chan movies, there are still stuntmen. They don't just fill in for Major Star, they are also the people that dodge out of the way of the car chase through a street market, they sub in for bad guys getting thrown down a flight of stairs, etc etc. I have no idea whether Tom Cruise does all his own stunts or not, but the presence of stunt actors in the credits is entirely irrelevant to that point.

There's also probably insurance considerations to make here, I'd imagine that insuring a star, regardless of training, is harder or more costly if you know they are going to be doing even simple stunts for themselves.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

live with fruit posted:

Raging Bull
Field of Dreams (debateable)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Chariots of Fire (not sure how artsy it is per se, but it won the Academy Award for Best Picture)
Match Point is kind of about tennis and artsy in a Woody Allen way

If martial arts is a sport or features athletes, then you have loads of choices.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 15, 2013

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

live with fruit posted:

What do you mean by "art films"?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

nocal posted:

e: I forgot! Check out interviews with stars where they claim they ad-libbed their entire role! This is actually surprisingly common, considering it's so obviously false. The last one I can recall off the top of my head is Jessica Alba, but this is the same kind of "bragging for the cameras" that stars do to market their films.

Um Tom Cruise does do his own stunts, unless you're saying he doesn't and then I mean you're just loving wrong. I don't think he does every single stunt in the films, but a majority of that is Tom Cruise in most his films.

Harrison Ford stapled his hat to his head in the Indian Jones film, like stars do do their own stunts, but they also do claim to do things they don't do either. Stars do their own stunts but many of them don't.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 15, 2013

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

live with fruit posted:

Rocky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

What do you mean by "art films"?

I'm not even sure, really. It exists as a fully formed idea in just two words in my head.

Wikipedia defines "art film" as "typically a serious, independent film aimed at a niche market rather than a mass market audience," which I guess works for me.