Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anatharon posted:

Unrelated to my previous inquiry, I'm a fan of Danganronpa and finally got around to reading Battle Royale, which was fairly good. Basically "The most dangerous game" scenario trikes me as disinteresting unless done well, but it seems like something there'd be an at least decent manga about. Anyone know of one?

Not anime but if you haven't watched the movie version of Battle Royale, do so. It's one of the best films ever made. Err, stay away from the sequel though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Not anime but if you haven't watched the movie version of Battle Royale, do so. It's one of the best films ever made. Err, stay away from the sequel though.

Scott Pilgrim author Brian Lee O'Malley's take on a Battle Royale poster.

I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more manga or anime with that kind of setup. Or maybe I just don't know about them, other than Battle Royale it's not really a genre/storyline I particularly enjoy.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

a kitten posted:

I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more manga or anime with that kind of setup. Or maybe I just don't know about them, other than Battle Royale it's not really a genre/storyline I particularly enjoy.

There are approximately 10,000 manga and anime that are inspired by it. Not even the first thing with that sort of premise.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So where do I begin to watch Ghost in the Shell chronologically? seems like there's shows and movies all over the place.
And does anyone have any recommendations for any good romance animes? Preferably ones that does not become all moe and poo poo.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Stalins Moustache posted:

So where do I begin to watch Ghost in the Shell chronologically? seems like there's shows and movies all over the place.
And does anyone have any recommendations for any good romance animes? Preferably ones that does not become all moe and poo poo.
Depends. The first films have a different continuity and style to Stand Alone Complex. The general path is to watch the GITS 1-2 and then the SAC seasons, but there's no real reason you couldn't jump straight into the series. Personally, I prefer the series to the films, though I am still fond of them.

I'll be interested to see what people recommend in terms of non-moe romances. I've almost finished the first season of Kimi ni Todoke and it's OK, but still almost too anime for me, particularly in terms of having a bland protagonist and an incredibly unrealistic he/she-doesn't-like-me-even-though-it's-totally-obvious-that-they-do-like-me scenario that gets old, fast. The side characters are great, though, particularly Chizu and Yano. I'd much prefer a series all about them.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

The manga, the two movies directed by Mamoru Oshii, Stand Alone Complex, and Arise are all separate continuities with mostly the same setting and main characters. Around here Stand Alone Complex is usually considered to be the best of them.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Once again I will recommend Paradise Kiss and NANA (again with the caveat that it does not really end)

Kimi Ni Todoke is good, but is pretty standard and is pretty much the pinnacle of "hand holding is like sex" that Shoujo goes through. If you're looking for teen sex comedy type anime, there's always B Gata H Kei as well (also called Yamada's First Time for the Funimation release).

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
So I've been watching stuff suggested in the wiki. GITS SAC, clover and honey, and I saw cowboy bebop a long while back. Enjoying ghost, but I'm torn on clover and honey. The slice of life stuff about college people and the romantic drama is fine. What bothers me is the :airquote: 19 year old :airquote: Hagu character. It's just disturbing and throwing off what is otherwise turning into a great show.

I guess what I'm asking for is slice of life dramas that involve either adults or young adults without questionable aged child characters. I saw recommendations for Bunny Drop and Sweet Blue Flower. I'll look into those. Any others?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

I'll be interested to see what people recommend in terms of non-moe romances.

Does Lovely Complex count? You should watch Lovely Complex.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

jonjonaug posted:

The manga, the two movies directed by Mamoru Oshii, Stand Alone Complex, and Arise are all separate continuities with mostly the same setting and main characters. Around here Stand Alone Complex is usually considered to be the best of them.

What's the general consensus on Solid State Society?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's like an entire arc of SAC crammed into a single episode, then stretched into a movie. It's alright.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

What's the general consensus on Solid State Society?

More SAC is always good. Just think of it as an extended Stand Alone episode.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a lot better if Togusa is your favourite character.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a lot better if Togusa is your favourite character.

I don't know how anyone can have a favourite SAC character, even if there are definitely some less amazing characters at least half of the cast is way too interesting / awesome to rate any one of them as the best.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It helps that it has one of the best gag moments in Ghost in the Shell.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't know how anyone can have a favourite SAC character, even if there are definitely some less amazing characters at least half of the cast is way too interesting / awesome to rate any one of them as the best.

I know. Having to choose which tachikoma is too hard.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't know how anyone can have a favourite SAC character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aI9QfPnj5I&hd=1

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Batou perched above a urinal like a bird of prey hunting for piss criminals would probably be a real good avatar.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

unpronounceable posted:

This person knows where it's at.

Seriously, the only thing I remember from staying up way too late when I was younger is the tachikoma, and vaguely of a hacker who had a really amusing calling card.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

unpronounceable posted:

The one that's voiced by Edward from Bebop is clearly the best one.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zorak posted:

There are approximately 10,000 manga and anime that are inspired by it. Not even the first thing with that sort of premise.

While I couldn't name any of said manga or anime, The Most Dangerous Game was published in 1924 and is probably the archetypal example.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

It helps that it has one of the best gag moments in Ghost in the Shell.

Which moment's that? Been a while since I've seen Solid State Society.

RabidWeasel posted:

Something I really loved was by the end of the second season, almost every character got at least one episode centered around them. I think the only one who didn't was Boma.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blazing Zero posted:

I guess what I'm asking for is slice of life dramas that involve either adults or young adults without questionable aged child characters. I saw recommendations for Bunny Drop and Sweet Blue Flower. I'll look into those. Any others?

Kids on the Slope

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yep. The closest he got to character development was when the revealed he had demolitions experience during the dirty bomb defusing bit. That aside his role was to be the guy who looked like Batou's chubbier clone.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which moment's that? Been a while since I've seen Solid State Society.

Something I really loved was by the end of the second season, almost every character got at least one episode centered around them. I think the only one who didn't was Boma.

Togusa asks his wife to take a picture of his daughter while she's sleeping or something and Batou walks out of the elevator just in time to hear a really weird sentence fragment.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fuckin' Bonnouji. It's manga but you'll be hard-pressed to find a more solid love story that actually continues after the relationship begins!(!!!!!)

Someone posted Sasameki Koto in the Convince With One Panel thread and I read the whole thing even though I got a bit bored around halfway through. It follows a high school girl who is openly gay, and her friend who initially wasn't, but wound up falling in love with her. It does a lot of things right, the romance is cute, the humor is good, the problem is it's probably a full third too long and it pulls the annoying bit where the mains are about to confess but are interrupted by [character] like 3 or 4 times, and there are multiple arcs and a few characters that are essentially irrelevant and could be cut out entirely.

Is there something like that that is about the same core story quality, deals with the same issues, but isn't jam-packed with filler/pointless tangents? Someone also posted Girl Friends there, but I haven't actually read it, is it any good? It seems really...

I've been recommended a few others already by the Shoujo thread, so I've got a bit of a backlog and want to avoid reading series if they turn out crap. Last week was a pretty huge bummer and my usual shonen/whatever series aren't really doing it, so I thought I'd go for some romance stuff instead.

The Black Stones posted:

If you're looking for teen sex comedy type anime, there's always B Gata H Kei as well (also called Yamada's First Time for the Funimation release).
Holy smokes, this poo poo's got like 300 chapters. Is it actually any good, or is it Status Quo Hell?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 15, 2013

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Captain Invictus posted:

Holy smokes, this poo poo's got like 300 chapters. Is it actually any good, or is it Status Quo Hell?

No clue, I just watched the anime. Considering how the anime ended though, I will say "Yes" for Status Quo hell, but the anime lasted just long enough to not get bored with how things were going. Just watch that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I found myself surprisingly entertained by B Gata H Kei. I seem to remember the chapters being very short despite being numerous. Wasn't it a 4-koma?

Being finished helps, as it does actually go somewhere in the end.

E: Yeah it was a 4-koma.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 15, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I tend to go manga if there is one for a given series since a bunch of animes are just traps to get you to buy the manga/LNs, so why not just start with that instead.

Though the Devil Is A Part-Timer anime is apparently way way wayyyyy better than the manga.

Nate RFB posted:

E: Yeah it was a 4-koma.

Wacky!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Invictus posted:

Fuckin' Bonnouji. It's manga but you'll be hard-pressed to find a more solid love story that actually continues after the relationship begins!(!!!!!)

Someone posted Sasameki Koto in the Convince With One Panel thread and I read the whole thing even though I got a bit bored around halfway through. It follows a high school girl who is openly gay, and her friend who initially wasn't, but wound up falling in love with her. It does a lot of things right, the romance is cute, the humor is good, the problem is it's probably a full third too long and it pulls the annoying bit where the mains are about to confess but are interrupted by [character] like 3 or 4 times, and there are multiple arcs and a few characters that are essentially irrelevant and could be cut out entirely.

Is there something like that that is about the same core story quality, deals with the same issues, but isn't jam-packed with filler/pointless tangents?

Aoi no Hana is probably your best bet, although it lacks one of the main things that Sasameko Koto does well in that's it exists in 'everyone's a lesbian' paradise that 99% of yuri shows exist in,rather than the real world.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sasameki Koto is pretty much "every named character is a secret lesbian". But yeah, I get what you're saying.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

If you're okay with nudity, you can try Yutaka Tanaka's work. His work tends takes some time to get going, but once it does it's pretty good.

His manga are wonderful because
a) He does loving amazing art. He uses minimalism to absolutely brilliant effect. The dude once made a completely black page tense as hell.
b) His characters do not act like morons who Cannot Spit It Out. His work in fact shows why this trope is stupid and why, shocker, communication is necessary for a good relationship.

Don't read Princess Mimmia though. It's totally different in tone and subject matter compared to the stuff he usually does. It's not a bad story, but it has yet to get going and I am withholding my judgement on it until it does.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bonnouji has straight-up sex in it, so that isn't an issue.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Re: romance manga
Check out Sekitou Elegy. It's about an awkward guy and the working class/blue collar girl he has a crush on. Most of the characters are early 20s and learning how to be an adult, so learning how to be in a relationship is a big part of that. The art to me is a little crude so I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I have. I think it hits some of the same notes as Bonnouji, but the characters don't have their poo poo together nearly as well so it has life-skills drama in addition to the romance.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there something like that that is about the same core story quality, deals with the same issues, but isn't jam-packed with filler/pointless tangents? Someone also posted Girl Friends there, but I haven't actually read it, is it any good? It seems really...

Girl Friends is cool, but it isn't mature and it's very cutesy. It tells a simpler, but tidier story than Sasameki Koto or Aoi Hana (I haven't finished these), and it's a more compelling read. Very cutesy and not mature though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm looking for some good horror manga/anime that isn't Junji Ito or Satoshi Kon. Can I get something that's actually scary?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Ascetic Crow posted:

I'm looking for some good horror manga/anime that isn't Junji Ito or Satoshi Kon. Can I get something that's actually scary?

Try Shiki.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Shiki isn't really scary, but it has the greatest animated sequence of a dog taking a walk ever committed to film.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ascetic Crow posted:

Soil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Are there any good detective mystery type shows? I've had a bit of an itch for it since watching Hyouka which did the detective mystery thing amazingly. I tried GoSick but I couldn't deal with it firstly because of the tsundere detective and secondly because Bones doesn't seem to understand what pacing is.

• Locked thread