Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Can anyone tell me why I can't log into my hotmail/live account?

I couldn't remember my password today, so I made a new account, wrote down the password and reset the password for the old account. I then log out and find I still can't log into my old account with the new password I made. I log back into the new one to check the reset mail to see if I did anything wrong, but nope. I log out and try the old account and it finally works. I decide to add my new account to the list of e-mails I can send reset e-mails to, but when I do that it tells me to provide the password for the new account and it won't accept the one I wrote down for the new account or the one for the old. I'm getting a bit frustrated so I log out and try logging into my new one again, but it tells me I have the wrong pass/e-mail.

I then try to log into my old one, but it won't accept any passwords either. Thankfully I've provided my phone number to both accounts, so I ask for a single-use code. I receive it on my phone and punch it in where it says "single-use code," but then it tells me I have the incorrect password or e-mail again. :v: I know I don't have the wrong e-mail since I wouldn't have gotten a single-use code if I did, and I've tried punching in the code several times, so I'm pretty sure that's correct. I've also sent for a new code several times, but it never works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Nightblade posted:

Can anyone tell me why I can't log into my hotmail/live account?

I couldn't remember my password today, so I made a new account, wrote down the password and reset the password for the old account. I then log out and find I still can't log into my old account with the new password I made. I log back into the new one to check the reset mail to see if I did anything wrong, but nope. I log out and try the old account and it finally works. I decide to add my new account to the list of e-mails I can send reset e-mails to, but when I do that it tells me to provide the password for the new account and it won't accept the one I wrote down for the new account or the one for the old. I'm getting a bit frustrated so I log out and try logging into my new one again, but it tells me I have the wrong pass/e-mail.

I then try to log into my old one, but it won't accept any passwords either. Thankfully I've provided my phone number to both accounts, so I ask for a single-use code. I receive it on my phone and punch it in where it says "single-use code," but then it tells me I have the incorrect password or e-mail again. :v: I know I don't have the wrong e-mail since I wouldn't have gotten a single-use code if I did, and I've tried punching in the code several times, so I'm pretty sure that's correct. I've also sent for a new code several times, but it never works.

Assuming hotmail isn't broken, which is a possibility, there could be several different reasons. Accidentally hitting caps lock is a pretty common mistake with passwords, especially if your password contains the letter A. And depending on the font, it's pretty easy to mistake the letters O and Q with each other, and the number 0, or a lowercase L with an I.

Since password fields usually just show up as something like *********, you can always open up a program like notepad, type in your password as plaintext, then copy/paste your password into the password box.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 14, 2013

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

thrakkorzog posted:

Assuming hotmail isn't broken, which is a possibility, there could be several different reasons. Accidentally hitting caps lock is a pretty common mistake with passwords, especially if your password contains the letter A. And depending on the font, it's pretty easy to mistake the letters O and Q with each other, and the number 0, or a lowercase L with an I.

Since password fields usually just show up as something like *********, you can always open up a program like notepad, type in your password as plaintext, then copy/paste your password into the password box.

Yeah, I tried typing it into notepad and it showed up exactly as it should, but it still didn't work. Everything works, today though, so I guess Hotmail was just having problems. :ms:

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Suzuki Method posted:

I have a question I need a few more opinions on. In mid-late June I went across the border to the US (I'm Canadian) via car to go visit my friend and his roommate for a week. When I was at the border, I was stopped and brought into a room for questioning. I'm a white, young adult girl and I have heard that they have been stopping young girls who have been travelling alone more often because they could be mules or something.

Anyway, I was held back for a long time. They typed a lot of stuff onto a computer, double-checking facts with me over and over and over and over. They eventually let me leave, but I was pretty shaken that they were going to turn me around and tell me to go home. I had my vacation and went home, the Canadian side of the border gave me zero issues and I was in and out in less than five minutes.

But now I have the money to go back to see them again, this time I want to go for 2-3 weeks, and I want to do it at the end of this month or early August. I need to take a Greyhound bus to the border which is about 9 hours away. It's a lot of money and I don't have a lot of wiggle room.

My question is, how likely is it that they're going to turn me around at the border and I'm not going to get to go to the US? I don't want to have to do 9 hours back home for nothing and have wasted lots of money. I am worried because they had stopped me before for a long time and typed poo poo on their computer. I have nothing to hide and told them everything straight, so folks I've talked to have said "well then you have nothing to fear", but I've heard a lot of stories about people being denied entry for BS or nonexistent reasons.

Hey there fellow Canuckian! :hf:
It sounds like you were one of those "Random winners of the day!" when you went over. Going on a bus as a group is a very different experience. First of all when you book your ticket they have to give the Americans your info in advance of going across for convenience reasons ahead of time. They almost never come in and bother passengers for 'random winners of the day' poo poo. You're a tourist on vacation and they want the money you are going to be spending.
Also it's actually pretty handy that you got stopped not that long ago and raked over the coals because that is going to be showing up when your info is entered into the system. They brought you in and specifically looked for a problem and found nothing. Welcome to the US! Please spend your moolah!

edit: the only reason that you would be denied entry is: outstanding offences, history of offences, warrants, or oddly enough tax evasion. Other than these you're golden and really were just stopped as a random look through everything check.

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 14, 2013

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
A guy on the street asked me if I had "an 80." I am pretty sure I didn't have one, but what is that anyway? I think its drugs, but Google only wants to tell me about drugs in the 80's.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I'm guessing he meant "8 ball" which I think is an eighth of an ounce of coke (not sure). Never heard just "eighty" before. Maybe it was for weed too.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Here in Houston, an 80 is an 80mg Oxycontin. "Yo duder, can I score an 80?" is something I hear relatively frequently in my shitass neighborhood.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Not the best quality pic, but is this likely a termite or could it be something else? These are pretty tiny, smaller than I would imagine a typical termite, but I'm in Canada too so our bugs aren't massive.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I busted my compact camera when I somehow pushed the on button while it was in my pocket (rolling in bed). The mechanism that extends the lens is jammed, and I've sent it away for repairs.

Is there a model of compact camera that can resist this?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

I busted my compact camera when I somehow pushed the on button while it was in my pocket (rolling in bed). The mechanism that extends the lens is jammed, and I've sent it away for repairs.

Is there a model of compact camera that can resist this?

One that doesn't fit in your pocket.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Might be a UK-specific question here.

It seems like BT have cut off my telephone line (for being a few days late with payment?), but my broadband's still working. If I don't pay the reconnection fee will my broadband keep on working, or will that eventually cut off too?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Runcible Cat posted:

Might be a UK-specific question here.

It seems like BT have cut off my telephone line (for being a few days late with payment?), but my broadband's still working. If I don't pay the reconnection fee will my broadband keep on working, or will that eventually cut off too?

Probably all that's happening is that the cutoff order is taking a little longer to reach the Internet department.

Pay your bill.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Dudebro posted:

Not the best quality pic, but is this likely a termite or could it be something else? These are pretty tiny, smaller than I would imagine a typical termite, but I'm in Canada too so our bugs aren't massive.

This is a book louse in the genus Liposcelis. They are cosmopolitan and very common indoors.

It won't destroy your walls, as they feed on mold and fungi, but it could be an indication that it's damp and moldy somewhere if you suddenly see a lot of them. Aside from that, they're completely harmless.

Keep a lookout for pseudoscorpions, though! Some common species specialize in feeding on booklice, so if you see something shaped like a scorpion with tiny pincers, but only a few mm long, it's probably a Chelifer canceroides.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Powered Descent posted:

Probably all that's happening is that the cutoff order is taking a little longer to reach the Internet department.

Pay your bill.
I'd paid the bill a week before I noticed I hadn't got a ringtone. So it may even be unrelated, but nothing's showing up on the fault tests and BT's notoriously lovely at interdepartmental communications - they won't tell you you've been cut off if you run a fault test.

But if they did cut me off before even bothering to send out a red bill I don't want to pay £100 to reconnect it unless I have to. gently caress 'em.

And my broadband's not with BT.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Runcible Cat posted:

I'd paid the bill a week before I noticed I hadn't got a ringtone. So it may even be unrelated, but nothing's showing up on the fault tests and BT's notoriously lovely at interdepartmental communications - they won't tell you you've been cut off if you run a fault test.

But if they did cut me off before even bothering to send out a red bill I don't want to pay £100 to reconnect it unless I have to. gently caress 'em.

Then why would BT cut off your broadband? If it is like the US then you can have Internet even without any phone service. Just because they come on the same wire doesn't mean they'd lock you off from both.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Runcible Cat posted:

Then what the gently caress are you on about, mate?

U 'avin' a go?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

brylcreem posted:

Then what the gently caress are you on about, mate?

U 'avin' a go?
That's what I mean. BT supplies my line. They don't supply my broadband. If the phone line is cut off doesn't it affect the broadband? Does it eventually affect the broadband if BT eventually assign Idon'tfuckingknowwhatidentifiersorconnectorstheyuse to some other phone line?

Apparently you can have one without the other in the States, but does that apply over here too?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Runcible Cat posted:

Apparently you can have one without the other in the States, but does that apply over here too?

I'm not from Britain, but you can in Denmark :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can have broadband without a phone line, it was briefly an option with sky and obviously any service supplied by fibre or cable can do it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Runcible Cat posted:

That's what I mean. BT supplies my line. They don't supply my broadband. If the phone line is cut off doesn't it affect the broadband? Does it eventually affect the broadband if BT eventually assign Idon'tfuckingknowwhatidentifiersorconnectorstheyuse to some other phone line?

Think of it this way: BT are cutting your phone service. The phone line is a bit of wire from your house to their box and it is either used to provide BT's phone service, or the other company's broadband service (for which they pay BT a fee to use the line)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Runcible Cat posted:

If you have ADSL then your internet connection relies on the physical phone line existing. If you have naked ADSL then that's all it relies on. If you have regular ADSL then you also need the line to be connected. But being disconnected by BT may not actually be them disconnecting the line, they may just be blocking you from making calls, in which case your internet would be completely unaffected. You may even still be able to receive calls. If you contact them and tell them your phone's not working they'll probably be able to tell you why, and if they never sent you a letter saying "pay now or we disconnect you" then they'll probably just reconnect it for you (if that's even what happened).

You may have to make a nuisance of yourself if you want it reconnected ASAP and for free, but if you weren't even late enough with your payment to get the disconnection warning then you should really be able to get it restored without any additional fees.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Thanks for the tips, I'm quite young and that was my first time going across the border by myself so I had no clue what to expect or why I was grilled. I guess I can ease up on my anxiety about being denied entry now.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Can anyone explain what's up with Youtube lately?

It seems like it's having a really hard time streaming videos or just loading them in the background to watch in a few minutes even at lower resolutions (ie not 720p or 1080p). I imagine it's something on their end (or some obscure connection setting on my end) that's making videos load slow 90% of the time because my connection speed is very good, but I can't be sure since this sort of thing is outside my areas of expertise.

Also, is there anything I can do (aside from that firewall rule "trick") on my end to help YT along?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So my friends found a rock on a beach on Long Island. It was one big thing, rectangular and boxy, but shattered into a ton of tiny pieces when dropped on the street. What is this rock made of?

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
That looks a lot like petrified wood only it's black... could it be petrified coal? Or volcanic glass? What does it feel like, is it light or heavy, does it feel brittle?

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

Shoren posted:

Can anyone explain what's up with Youtube lately?

It seems like it's having a really hard time streaming videos or just loading them in the background to watch in a few minutes even at lower resolutions (ie not 720p or 1080p). I imagine it's something on their end (or some obscure connection setting on my end) that's making videos load slow 90% of the time because my connection speed is very good, but I can't be sure since this sort of thing is outside my areas of expertise.

Also, is there anything I can do (aside from that firewall rule "trick") on my end to help YT along?

Don't know if you're having a similar issue to what I had earlier in the thread, but I know there's a known issue if you have Verizon internet. CCCleaner was suggested & fixed my issue.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

cheerfullydrab posted:

So my friends found a rock on a beach on Long Island. It was one big thing, rectangular and boxy, but shattered into a ton of tiny pieces when dropped on the street. What is this rock made of?

If it's light, it could be just a big piece of coal. Someone probably had a fire on the beach.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does Aaron Sorkin have a conservative counterpart? I've been watching The West Wing and The Newsroom and I wondered if there was a writer out there that does similar preaching, but from the other side

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
My leather watch straps tend to get really messed up by dirt and sweat over time, becoming black and smelly and cracked. I'm thinking of switching to resin, but is there perhaps something I can put on them to protect the leather?

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

cheerfullydrab posted:

Man I'd be careful with picking up random weird looking rocks from the beach. I mean, probably not in Long Island or anything, but nothing screams "I had a great day at the beach!" than a few white phosphorus burns :v:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

My leather watch straps tend to get really messed up by dirt and sweat over time, becoming black and smelly and cracked. I'm thinking of switching to resin, but is there perhaps something I can put on them to protect the leather?

Some leather boot conditioner should help a bit. Plus, it will make your hands feel nice and soft, like a lady's.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

supkirbs posted:

Don't know if you're having a similar issue to what I had earlier in the thread, but I know there's a known issue if you have Verizon internet. CCCleaner was suggested & fixed my issue.

I don't have Verizon, but I think I'll give it a shot anyway. Probably can't hurt.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone heard of or seen a profile creation website that writes a profile based on the sorts of pictures a person clicks? I could have sworn I heard a news story about it a while back but nothing comes up.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

gradenko_2000 posted:

Does Aaron Sorkin have a conservative counterpart? I've been watching The West Wing and The Newsroom and I wondered if there was a writer out there that does similar preaching, but from the other side

It's difficult, if not outright impossible by definition, for the other side of the spectrum (it's hard to call it conservative because it's really not...it's more Authoritative) to be self-deprecating which is a requirement for comedy and/or competent writing. It's why you really don't have a good parity to things like "The Daily Show". In fact Newsroom COULD be considered a conservative POV as its addressing issues with the current Republican party by a self-identifying conservative and the fact that it’s not generally accepted as such should be telling.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

Has anyone heard of or seen a profile creation website that writes a profile based on the sorts of pictures a person clicks? I could have sworn I heard a news story about it a while back but nothing comes up.

Are you talking about https://whoami.visualdna.com?

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Does anybody know why an Amazon seller would list dozens (if not hundreds) of items, all for a very high price? They're obviously not worth the price, or they're pretty generic things that won't sell, like the picture below.

The first time I figured it might be some software going wrong, but I've seen it several times across different sellers.

Edit: sorry for table breaking, I'd edit it down but I can't change the attachment. :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

abraxas posted:

Man I'd be careful with picking up random weird looking rocks from the beach. I mean, probably not in Long Island or anything, but nothing screams "I had a great day at the beach!" than a few white phosphorus burns :v:

White phosphrous catches fire spontaneously in air, and why would it lie around randomly on beaches? :psyduck:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I'm afraid not, the idea is similar though.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

axolotl farmer posted:

White phosphrous catches fire spontaneously in air, and why would it lie around randomly on beaches? :psyduck:

The white phosphorus is still wet when you pick it up on the beach and your body heat dries it enough so it spontaneously combusts in your pockets.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18926385

As I said, Long Island isn't exactly "Baltic Sea" and I doubt they have a lot of white phosphorus ammunition floating around there but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

There's also this article, but take with a grain of salt I suppose: http://doubtfulnews.com/2012/05/mystery-beach-rocks-cause-serious-burns-for-california-woman/

e: This might be a bit more believable than "doubtfulnews.com" and it's also pretty recent: http://www.caribbean360.com/index.php/news/puerto_rico_news/675918.html#axzz2Z7w4C72i

There's a bunch of other examples, but basically I'm just saying I'm not completely insane :v:

abraxas fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LittleBob posted:

Does anybody know why an Amazon seller would list dozens (if not hundreds) of items, all for a very high price? They're obviously not worth the price, or they're pretty generic things that won't sell, like the picture below.

The first time I figured it might be some software going wrong, but I've seen it several times across different sellers.

Edit: sorry for table breaking, I'd edit it down but I can't change the attachment. :(

Maybe pricing bots gone awry

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 15, 2013