Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Ah yes, the usual "I want to genocide the unAmericans" posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

1stGear posted:

Oh wow, that does sound really nice, let's look up Anguilla:

An island nation with no natural resources who's economy is completely reliant on tourism and offshore banking and does actually have an income tax? Yeah, sounds like an economic paradise sign me the gently caress up.

Also

quote:

The inflation rate (consumer prices) is 5.3% (2006 est.)

Last time the US yearly rate was above that was 1982. Where's your sound money god now libertarians? :smug:

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Libertarians would sure love Anguilla, seeing as how they're all about the Queen and royalty. :wtc:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

gently caress you. Seriously, gently caress you.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Floppy Dingo posted:

I recently got sent this on skype by a friend:

http://pro.stansberryresearch.com/1304PWAUP2YR/PPSIP740/

Apparently this video is convinced that the United States will be going under NEXT YEAR, and we're all doomed. I listened to it far longer than I should've.

Or...or is it true and I am just sheeple?! :ohdear:
I'd like to file a complaint about this link and discourage anyone from watching it. I'm not sure how much time it actually was (he wisely disabled the time bar that tells you how long you've been listening or how much is left or allowing you to skip ahead), but the first 10 years of the video are him explaining, over and over again, that he is about to tell you something really important and that important thing is important and will change your life in important ways and all the important things in your life will be changed by these important things he is about to tell you. After explaining further and warning you that there are important things about to be discussed and your way of living will be changed by these important things, he first explains that he has spent time in the past researching important things so he considers himself an authority on important things, especially the important things he is about to tell you, but first he tells us about the important things he predicted in the past and why those important things led him to realize the important things that he is about to tell you, but first let me warn you that these things are going to change your life in important ways...

End the Fed

The End
I think that was the point, I had to quit after about a half hour of repetitive, drawn-out drivel delivered in a condescending tone

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Stansberry Research? Hello old friend. :allears:

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Idiot Kicker posted:

Libertarians would sure love Anguilla, seeing as how they're all about the Queen and royalty. :wtc:

They get a lot of their information from Heritage Foundation and use only that to say that places like Singapore and Hong Kong are free market paradises- while conveniently ignoring things like press censorship.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
This is what I'm referring to earlier, posted by a former coworker of mine:

quote:

"PROUD TO BE WHITE"
This is great. I have been wondering about why Whites are racists, and no other race is......
Michael Richards makes his point........................
Michael Richards better known as Kramer from TVs Seinfeld does make a good point.

This was his defense speech in court after making racial comments in his comedy act. He makes some very interesting points...

Someone finally said it. How many are actually paying attention to this? There are African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Arab Americans, etc.

And then there are just Americans.

You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you.. so why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live?
You have the United Negro College Fund. You have Martin Luther King Day.

You have Black History Month. You have Cesar Chavez Day.

You have Yom Hashoah. You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi.

You have the NAACP. You have BET. If we had WET (White Entertainment Television), we'd be racists. If we had a White Pride Day, you would call us racists.

If we had White History Month, we'd be racists.

If we had any organization for only whites to 'advance' OUR lives, we'd be racists.

We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce. Wonder who pays for that??

A white woman could not be in the Miss Black American pageant, but any color can be in the Miss America pageant.

If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships... You know we'd be racists.

There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges in the US ... Yet if there were 'White colleges', that would be a racist college.

In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race and rights. If we marched for our race and rights, you would call us racists.

You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you're not afraid to announce it. But when we announce our white pride, you call us racists.
You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist.

I am proud...... But you call me a racist.
Why is it that only whites can be racists??

There is nothing improper about this message.. Let's see which of you are proud enough to send it on. I sadly don't think many will. That's why we have LOST most of OUR RIGHTS in this country. We won't stand up for ourselves!

BE PROUD TO BE WHITE!

It's not a crime YET... but getting very close!

ARE white people rights :qq:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

1996:
2013:
Spot the difference!

Coincidentally, this just popped up in my feed (from the same abortion chart guy I posted earlier). Whenever I tell him that Obama isn't really a left-leaning President and is more of a centrist, in actions if not in words, he goes on and on about how "You're looking at things from the European or Global right-left scale, which is irrelevant. What matters is whether it's the AMERICAN Left. Obama is the most leftist President we've ever had"

quote:

We seem to be fond of saying that Ronald Reagan couldn't win the Republican nomination today. That is, not THE Ronald Reagan - if someone had a clone of Reagan who was at his 1980 levels of health and vitality, who could run for another term as President, they would definitely field that man in 2016. But what we mean is a man who was like Reagan in POLICY, but a distinct individual in personality, name, etc.

So I had a thought: Isn't this true the other way around as well? And more recent?

Would the Democrat party run a Bill Clinton today?

I'm thinking probably not. Bill Clinton was for a lot of things that Democrats now are not. Additionally, he was misogynistic, and both terribly male AND terribly white. Further, he was even homophobic, giving us the dark blight on the Human race that is Don't Ask, Don't Tell, and even was and is a supporter of traditional marriage (just like Barack Obama was before last spring.)

The Clinton years were not a time of great strides on FDR-continuation-legacy. Bill Clinton even committed America to warfighting. WHILE undergoing a scandal related to sexual harassment of a female employee. And, unlike President Obama, after huge losses in the Congress in his first midterm elections, President Clinton tacked rightward to the center, whereas President Obama doubled down to the left to the clamors and screams of his party and people on the far left who complained he wasn't doing enough for what they put him in office for.

And while Clinton did this and was reelected (with less than popular vote majority, but that was thanks to Perot), President Obama had some in his party rallying against him not being left ENOUGH (even though he was the most leftist President along trend lines since probably FDR), and only turned around to support him in 2012 because of buying into the falsity that Romney would reinstitute slavery and revoke women's suffrage.

Given, we haven't had a Democrat nomination lately, and the last one we had was basically between a mere two people - they were both trying to out-minority (Clinton played up her womanhood, Obama his race) each other and out-left each other, though in different ways (for example, candidate Obama opposed an individual health insurance mandate); Clinton and Obama were both in the top 5 (possibly in the top 3) most liberal Senators in the US Senate. Unlike the Republican primaries that produced two moderates in a row (McCain and Romney), the Democrat primary put forth the two most liberal candidates they could find to have them duke it out. And, likely, if Obama had lost, the Democrats would have continued to track to the left with Clinton (who was seen in 2008 as being MORE liberal than Obama - part of the reason he won.)

So while it is often claimed that Republican candidates have to out-right each other to win the primary, and that this will produce Republican Presidential nominees who are right of center, the converse is true of the Democrats as well - their primaries are won by whoever is farthest to the left. President Obama was MUCH farther from the political center than McCain, and far less qualified for the job in terms of experience and personal ability, though he arguably won due to his race and the historic fervor that produced in the electorate.

But anyway, just as a Ronald Reagan might not be able to win the Republican nomination today, I'm starting to wonder if a Bill Clinton would be able to secure the Democrat one today. Hillary is not nearly as centrist as her husband was, or as much as he had to become to win reelection.

Neither is Obama.

Can a moderate win the Democrat nomination for President? I believe not.

So this "tut tut, Republicans! You would even shoot down the man who you consider your greatest in recent memory!" business likely applies to Democrats as well.

A man who is not Bill Clinton, but held the same views he held in 1996 couldn't win the Democrat nomination today. A man who is not Bill Clinton, but held the same views he held in 1992 likely couldn't win the Democrat nomination today.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

seiferguy posted:

I think this is the root of why racism is getting harder and harder to eradicate - shame of being an actual racist is dead, instead replaced by shame by oppressed minorities of being called "oversensitive".

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Fulchrum posted:

I think this is the root of why racism is getting harder and harder to eradicate - shame of being an actual racist is dead, instead replaced by shame by oppressed minorities of being called "oversensitive".

The best way to spot a fascist is to look for that alarmist attitude of "something must be done" because "we are being attacked".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I think the worst part is that Kramer had to go to court after being arrested for saying something racist!

Also, you should link them this: http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/dubiousquotes/a/michaelrichards.htm

It points out that this mostly shows up on white power and neo nazi sites.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

I think the worst part is that Kramer had to go to court after being arrested for saying something racist!

Also, you should link them this: http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/dubiousquotes/a/michaelrichards.htm

It points out that this mostly shows up on white power and neo nazi sites.

http://captainoftheussinevitable.ytmnd.com/

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

seiferguy posted:

Any time I see "Someone finally said it" I know I'm in for some real entertainment

Also I guess Richards shouting about how these black hecklers would have been strung up with a fork up their asses and are niggers wasn't actually racist

Regarding the Clinton thing, it's pretty hilarious given that his wife is the current favorite for the next nomination

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Job Truniht posted:

They get a lot of their information from Heritage Foundation and use only that to say that places like Singapore and Hong Kong are free market paradises- while conveniently ignoring things like press censorship.

I would argue that until fairly recent history, the prevalence of safety nets was pretty inversely proportional to how authoritarian a government was. Since there's no organized effort to keep the populace otherwise fed or contended, they had to use blunt force to gain compliance.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I do like their rationale behind Bill Clinton. "He made compromises and had consensual sex. DEMOCRATS WOULD NEVER STAND FOR THAT!"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

:barf::barf::barf:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So it took a black man getting elected for Republicans to retroactively admire Bill Clinton, what would it take for them to do the same to Obama? A mexican woman president? A gay married president?

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Probably an extra terrestrial

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

quote:

We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce. Wonder who pays for that??

Soooooo close to getting it...

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
So, a friend on Facebook posted an image of George Zimmerman and Marissa Alexander, and I commented that yeah, the stand-your-ground law sure has some problems. Another friend of hers responded that a woman being raped at knifepoint would sure be happy for a stand-your-ground law; I said that normal self-defense laws would probably be just fine in that case, and he linked this: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/tim-mcnabb/dont-like-stand-your-ground-laws-thank-a-liberal/ And... I don't even know where to start, especially since I'm not American and can't quite wrap my head around the jump from "don't lie in campaign ads" to "oh god I'm going to be sent to jail forever for self-defense". I don't suppose anyone cares to help me out? Or maybe I should just... not argue on Facebook, which has been working out for me so far?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Wait, what's supposed to be wrong with this?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Nothing. A stopped clock is right twice a day!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Bad cop looks swarthy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pope Guilty posted:

Because

Emron posted:

This one had the caption of "Unions, that's why:"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pope Guilty posted:

.....is it my imagination, or does the "bad cop" look Hispanic?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

A ton of people lately seem to be incredibly offended they can't say n*****, are chomping at the bit to say it and defend anyone who does (Micheal Richards, Paula Dean, etc). I'm not sure WHY they feel like not being allowed to say an incredibly racially charged word is unfair if they aren't racist since they should never have a reason to use it that another word wouldn't work fine for.

The message now is that we are past racism as a country but I think pretty soon we're going to see "respectable people" start saying what's wrong with racists if they're right? They've already succeeded in making it more offensive to call someone a racist than it is to expose blatantly racist views.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 15, 2013

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

It was posted as an anti union sentiment. Though that page seemed pretty ACAB in general.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Note to self: telling a relative you have a hard time siding with them on anything regarding race because they're all loving racists is an excellent way to start some back-peddling and angry phone calls to your parents (seriously, I'm pushing 30 and you're going to whine to my mother?)

Felt good though, I'm tired of going to family gatherings and sitting through "niggers this" and "Obama that".

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

gently caress you. Seriously, gently caress you.

This conveniently leaves out the murderers getting life in prison. You are supposed to be outraged at them not getting the death sentence and that's supposed to be as much of an outrage as the zimmerman case.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Radish posted:

A ton of people lately seem to be incredibly offended they can't say n*****, are chomping at the bit to say it and defend anyone who does (Micheal Richards, Paula Dean, etc). I'm not sure WHY they feel like not being allowed to say an incredibly racially charged word is unfair if they aren't racist since they should never have a reason to use it that another word wouldn't work fine for.

It's a reverting to childhood. If I'm a child and you tell me I can't open this one specific door, it makes me REALLY want to open it and see what is in there. Actually, my cat is kind of like that too when I don't allow her in the bathroom.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ferroque posted:

This conveniently leaves out the murderers getting life in prison. You are supposed to be outraged at them not getting the death sentence and that's supposed to be as much of an outrage as the zimmerman case.
I thought we were outraged that the case wasn't getting media attention on the scale of the Zimmerman case?

Which means, as we could all guess, they don't really get it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I thought we were outraged that the case wasn't getting media attention on the scale of the Zimmerman case?

If I remember correctly, that case did get a lot of attention around here in Illinois where I live.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Ringo Star Get posted:

If I remember correctly, that case did get a lot of attention around here in Illinois where I live.

And here in CT, and here in terms of "the whole drat country". The difference being is that guy was arrested near immediately, it took a month of outrage to arrest Zimmerman.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

Because they're so used to being able to say or do whatever they want without consequences that the second you tell them they need to think of someone besides themselves they cry and say you're oppressing them.

Bili Rubin
Jun 29, 2005
Prior to 2008, most people in my family had no interest in politics or any real political affiliation. I never heard them say anything racist. But now, jesus christ, they parrot the disgusting poo poo I see in this thread. As of late my family has taken to posting links on fb to news articles about white people "being attacked" by black people. I've already called out a couple for the story actually being far different than the link they posted. It's almost like they live in a fantasy land where they're a poor minority living in fear, underrepresented in the media, if reported on at all, under the jackboot of a fascist president that despises their very existence. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Bili Rubin posted:

Prior to 2008, most people in my family had no interest in politics or any real political affiliation. I never heard them say anything racist. But now, jesus christ, they parrot the disgusting poo poo I see in this thread. As of late my family has taken to posting links on fb to news articles about white people "being attacked" by black people. I've already called out a couple for the story actually being far different than the link they posted. It's almost like they live in a fantasy land where they're a poor minority living in fear, underrepresented in the media, if reported on at all, under the jackboot of a fascist president that despises their very existence. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Welcome to my world, can't-talk-to-newly-batshit-relatives buddy. :smith::hf::smith:

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Vulin posted:

Zimmerman(n) is the german word for carpenter. You know who else was a learned carpenter? :smug:

Yuri Gagarin?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

If a friend or family member of yours was the victim of a crime what's more important: media investigation and attention, or police investigation and attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Amused to Death posted:

And here in CT, and here in terms of "the whole drat country". The difference being is that guy was arrested near immediately, it took a month of outrage to arrest Zimmerman.
Oh yeah, I know it got coverage, I'm just mocking them and failing.

It's a good sign of racism if they think that coverage and outrage over a heinous crime against a black person (Martin) that goes uninvestigated for a month means that coverage and outage over a heinous crime against a white person that's arrested and prosecuted properly should be equal.