Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

Actually, that wasn't mentioned either. Geary mentions the architect was German, but makes no reference to him killing himself, or going crazy, or... actually anything, outside of him being German.

Kirsten Geary posted:

The New York tunnels have been around longer than the city. When the Illuminati moved here, we hustled an architect over from Germany to do the sacred geometry of this place. It drove him crazy, he killed himself when the blueprints were finished, but you know how seriously creatives take everything. The design really was future proof, this is all still the original spaces. We've centralized a lot, except the server farm keeps expanding. It's like a matte painting from a 70's sci-fi movie, you can get lost in there. The rest of the maze you should be lucky enough to never see. The old detainment block and medical facility, that's Questions and Answers now. It's mostly soundproofed... mostly. And some of the old board members keep suites way out in the wings. They're not big on face time. They have extreme health issues, extreme privacy issues, extreme... issues. Do us both a favor and stay in the main concourse.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Where does she say that? She mentions the first couple sentences when you ask her about the Labyrinth, but not in that way, and none of the rest.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

Where does she say that? She mentions the first couple sentences when you ask her about the Labyrinth, but not in that way, and none of the rest.

Do you not know that you can repeatedly select conversation options, and they'll continue to talk about it? Because she literally says all of that if you exhaust that dialogue option.

e: Here. The subtitles had faded a bit by the time Steam took the screenshot, but I'm not making this up. You very well might have missed out on 99% of the dialogue in this game.

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 14, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
...Well, I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Worsted Weight
Oct 13, 2012
On the Samael thing (no issue 7 spoilers):

The voice from the Orochi computer in Blue Mountain/Egypt is labelled 'Samael' in the dialogue strings (from the now-erased RDB thread on the official forums). From what he says then I got the feeling that maybe Lilith was slipping the operations there instructions without telling him about it, since in either the Egypt sidequests or the main quest it's mentioned that Orochi were explicitly told not to take Hemitneter's song (and then they did anyway). That plus the Breach dialogue makes me wonder - maybe all those Orochi catastrophes are due to Lilith giving covert orders?

Also sorry for this post being 90% spoiler bars but (issue 7 spoilers)there's supposed to be a vampire in the Hatchet Falls facility, right? I've been through in under 5 minutes and he hasn't appeared, so clearly I'm missing a trigger, but I'm not sure what.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Worsted Weight posted:

Also sorry for this post being 90% spoiler bars but (issue 7 spoilers)there's supposed to be a vampire in the Hatchet Falls facility, right? I've been through in under 5 minutes and he hasn't appeared, so clearly I'm missing a trigger, but I'm not sure what.

http://unfair.co/gaming/the-secret-world/quest-guides/the-secret-world-when-the-hatchet-falls-guide-solutions/ has some info on it, but sounds like there's still some confusion about how to get it.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Worsted Weight posted:

On the Samael thing (no issue 7 spoilers):

The voice from the Orochi computer in Blue Mountain/Egypt is labelled 'Samael' in the dialogue strings (from the now-erased RDB thread on the official forums). From what he says then I got the feeling that maybe Lilith was slipping the operations there instructions without telling him about it, since in either the Egypt sidequests or the main quest it's mentioned that Orochi were explicitly told not to take Hemitneter's song (and then they did anyway). That plus the Breach dialogue makes me wonder - maybe all those Orochi catastrophes are due to Lilith giving covert orders?

Sorry to make the whole response in spoilers but whelp:

The vampire they're talking about, I believe, is at the very end of the facility, in a room that's just in front of the computer you use to finish the Hatchet Falls part of the quest. He's totally optional, and I don't think you have to fight him. Basically, the achievement means that you finish Hatchet Falls and kill the vampire within five minutes, not just kill the vampire.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Is there any consensus on what the Orochi computer mission voice's accent is meant to be? It sounds like a weird mishmash of a whole bunch of accents to me, so I can never really place it.

Worsted Weight posted:

To get that achievement, you can't trip any of the alarms within the Hatchet Falls facility, as well as going in under 5 minutes. I tried it with Hugh and Cheston the other day, only for Hugh to blunder face first into a laser 10 seconds after we entered.

Worsted Weight
Oct 13, 2012

Nombres posted:

Sorry to make the whole response in spoilers but whelp:

The vampire they're talking about, I believe, is at the very end of the facility, in a room that's just in front of the computer you use to finish the Hatchet Falls part of the quest. He's totally optional, and I don't think you have to fight him. Basically, the achievement means that you finish Hatchet Falls and kill the vampire within five minutes, not just kill the vampire.

Zephonith posted:

To get that achievement, you can't trip any of the alarms within the Hatchet Falls facility, as well as going in under 5 minutes. I tried it with Hugh and Cheston the other day, only for Hugh to blunder face first into a laser 10 seconds after we entered.

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I didn't trip any alarms, so maybe I wasn't fast enough getting there. (Or maybe it counts loading screen time, in which case welp that's another achievement I am never getting.) Thanks for the help, I'll just try again when the cooldown runs out.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
*is in a secret society*

*wears a uniform*

e: hooray, got all the bastards for the achievement out of the way in two hours, and even got a pet to boot :toot: I don't know what I'm going to do with all these goddamn flares though, I already have my slick permanent blue one.

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 14, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Archonex posted:

From what I recall, it's basically caught between a three/four/possibly more way clusterfuck of a cold war between (possibly) exiled angels, whatever the gently caress the Filth is, star devouring mollusk gods, crazy humans, the thing that's sleeping beneath the Sargasso Sea (Which may or may not be part of the "prime" filth infection.), and maybe the legions of hell depending on if Eblis and company become a factor in the future outside of the Wicker storyline.

The conflict doesn't have quite as many factions as you think- the Star Devouring Mollusk Gods ("The Eight," if I remember right) are the Dreaming Prisoners being kept in check by the Gaia engines. The filth is them reaching into the world as the engines fail- it's not a faction, it's a transmission.

The Sargasso Sea may have just been a giant monster (red seaweed, makes draug, etc...) at one point, but now it's been corrupted by the Filth. (This may or may not indicate that a failing Engine, or at least a vector for the Filth, is under the Atlantic Ocean.) The last mission of Tyler Freeborne is one of the prisoners pulling you into their dream, or an extension of it in whatever Draug mind is left.

The angels/"The Host" may have multiple factions. There are the two that contact you in a dream right at the beginning and show up at the end, there's Eblis, and there's Samael, and none of them appear to be allied or in contact.

I'd love to see demonkind and Wicker show up again, although Hell was largely self-contained and ended with Wicker and co. leaving for who-knows-where.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo. Never thought I'd get it, but I got Shem of the Lunar Metal. :dance:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Still didn't get into Fusang but the GM at least undid my gently caress up of using my purple kit on a green flamethrower instead of a blue. Fucker needs to just give me my lore.

biteyourtongue
May 19, 2012

Zephonith posted:

Is there any consensus on what the Orochi computer mission voice's accent is meant to be? It sounds like a weird mishmash of a whole bunch of accents to me, so I can never really place it.

I think possibly maybe it's South African? If it's the same one from the van in the Blue Mountain Orochi outpost, I don't think I've heard him anywhere else yet.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

biteyourtongue posted:

I think possibly maybe it's South African? If it's the same one from the van in the Blue Mountain Orochi outpost, I don't think I've heard him anywhere else yet.

He reappears in the City of the Sun God outpost, IIRC.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Protagorean posted:

He makes an interesting point with the Labyrinth being built by a genius architect from Germany who killed himself, and a similar trend with people who negotiate with the dudes being chained up by the Gaia Engines, but I'm pretty sure the intent with that first point was for effect, like "look how fuckin crazy our secret basement is" (though what we see is in reality pretty goddamn sad, especially compared with Temple Square). The rest of it is :tinfoil: and bullshit.

Anyone can get into Temple Square though. The actual base is like a big empty space and 4 hallways that are annoying to navigate.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, someone in #awful mentioned today that the Illuminati are basically the Saints, and I'm astounded by how true it is.

Now I want to get a purple suit/gangster clothes, and go Pistols/ARs or someshit. Get ready for SR4 by fighting Cthulu.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 15, 2013

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry

Rookersh posted:

Man, someone in #awful mentioned today that the Illuminati are basically the Saints, and I'm astounded by how true it is.

Now I want to get a purple suit/gangster clothes, and go Pistols/ARs or someshit. Get ready for SR4 by fighting Cthulu.

Does this mean Geary is the president, cause I could get behind that!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Zephonith posted:

It's Samuel Chandra, CEO of Orochi. We, uh, went over it pretty thoroughly last page.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

biteyourtongue posted:

Yeah if I had to guess I'd say South African, but it's my default guess for accents that sound like a weird mix of other accents. It's possible he's trying to do another accent badly, but the quality of voice acting in this game is too good for that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Well great. Now I almost feel compelled to remake my main into Illuminati instead of Templars.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zephonith posted:

It's a Hell accent, duh. But yeah, if you're not sure, generally speaking South African is a pretty good bet.

I'm standing by old-style Hell accent, though. I'd say 'angelic accent', but none of the angels talk like that. So my conclusion is that people from Hell used to talk like that, and it got diluted over the many, many years.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Zephonith posted:

Yeah if I had to guess I'd say South African, but it's my default guess for accents that sound like a weird mix of other accents. It's possible he's trying to do another accent badly, but the quality of voice acting in this game is too good for that.

Oh, accent. I'm going with "weird mishmash." It leaves what feels like an intentional impression (on the part of the developers, I mean).

Being more specific, but again, spoilers about who the voice is, and grounded speculation:

To me, it sounds like a voice that's speaking a bit of every accent of english. Like they're all foreign to the speaker/were all picked up over a long time, but are dominated/guided by a sort of businesslike or royal demeanor. (Remember how Eblis acted/spoke? Only with more control, less rage, and time spent on Earth instead of in the Hell dimensions.)

A vague accent would make sense- if Chandra is immortal/ a member of the fallen Host, he'd have been around for all of this Age.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Cleretic posted:

It's a Hell accent, duh.
So, South African then. :v:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Well Fusang's still broke for my server. You think tech support or whoever will comp me the lore node in Fusang if I ask? It's gonna tick me off if I'm at 8/9 forever through no fault of my own.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Daeren posted:

Well Fusang's still broke for my server. You think tech support or whoever will comp me the lore node in Fusang if I ask? It's gonna tick me off if I'm at 8/9 forever through no fault of my own.

The lore will stick around after the event ends for a little while, but any attempts to get lore awarded from GM's will be refused.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cheston posted:

The conflict doesn't have quite as many factions as you think- the Star Devouring Mollusk Gods ("The Eight," if I remember right) are the Dreaming Prisoners being kept in check by the Gaia engines. The filth is them reaching into the world as the engines fail- it's not a faction, it's a transmission.

The Sargasso Sea may have just been a giant monster (red seaweed, makes draug, etc...) at one point, but now it's been corrupted by the Filth. (This may or may not indicate that a failing Engine, or at least a vector for the Filth, is under the Atlantic Ocean.) The last mission of Tyler Freeborne is one of the prisoners pulling you into their dream, or an extension of it in whatever Draug mind is left.

The angels/"The Host" may have multiple factions. There are the two that contact you in a dream right at the beginning and show up at the end, there's Eblis, and there's Samael, and none of them appear to be allied or in contact.

I'd love to see demonkind and Wicker show up again, although Hell was largely self-contained and ended with Wicker and co. leaving for who-knows-where.

Pretty sure they make a distinction between the Mollusk Gods and the Dreamers controlling the filth. Especially since the Filth is supposed to be directed by whatever is in the dreaming prison, and the Mollusk Gods are basically implied to be eldritch space/dimensional monsters. The Dreamers are infecters, while the Whale-Mollusk Gods are outright implied to be star devouring abominations of some sort in the release day lore. Though maybe they've retconned that? To my knowledge there hasn't been much said about them since then, if anything at all.

If nothing else, the one big lore dump on them makes them seem like a completely different flavor of batshit crazy compared to the Filth. Especially when you tie it into the rest of the lore pertaining to the rest of the lore pertaining to the Morninglight. They're less "infect everyone", and more concentrated :stonk:.

Lore Dump posted:

"Seeking alternate subject. Initiate analysing scan: Betty.

We like Betty. She is a plump sweetling, with a big smile. Betty once had self-image problems, but she overcame them. A Morninglight poster decorates her wall. Much-read pamphlets sit in her bathroom. Philip Marquard's audio book on self-actualization plays in her earphones. Fresh signatures fill the forms on her clipboard. Bottles of Morninglight dietary supplements and nutrient pills fill her medicine cabinet. By her bed is an autographed picture of Philip Marquard, the one she secretly kisses before going to sleep. Every night she dreams of freeing herself from her mortal shell and ascending into the cosmos to soar with the whale-mollusk gods. "

"There are new recruits chained to Betty's walls. She has their signatures. They tested as having self-image problems, as she once had. Smiling, she tells them they are all beautiful. She opens them with a knife, shows them the beauty inside. 'Look!' she says, tears streaming. 'We are all made of stars!' Then she practices eating stars, waiting for enlightenment to take hold."

I didn't see anything about the Sargasso Sea being a monster that was corrupted either. The impression I got was that it was the Filth/a Dreamer itself talking to you. Especially since some of its conversations towards you imply it's actually directing all the Filth infected in the area. Plus, it has that same weird pitchless "voice of the legion" thing going on every now and then that the Dreamer voice does in the mid-chapter segments.

The Eight is what Orochi is called by the Bees sometimes. Specifically, it's called an eight headed dragon once or twice. IE: The eight subsidiary megacorps (Anansi, Faust, Manticore, etc, etc.) that make up Orochi.

So far they don't appear to have anything to do with the Filth outside of some minor members who are trying to control it like Klein, or the inevitably botched research operation where it gets loose and kills or infects everything in the area. Are you sure you aren't confusing them with the Dreamers somehow? I may have missed something, but I don't recall any lore snippets implying that Orochi are in fact the Dreamers.

Eblis seems like his own little faction ruling Hell. At the very least his model in the files is completely different from the Host models, so it's likely he isn't with them or any other faction. He looks really damned weird, too compared to them.

Samael may be with the "evil" host faction. A lot of what they imply he's trying to do is in line with the "bad" Host angel pushing an agenda that appears to be about controlling the filth for the greater good. Especially when you consider that he's the mysterious South African guy on the telephone line in all of the "fix our gently caress up" Orochi missions. Though they've still got room to turn him (or that Host member) evil if they want, I guess.

quote:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am going to ask you to cite your sources. I was suspicious about this because it sounds a bit ridiculous and I surely would've noticed any of this, so I looked into it.

I have every lore, so I checked all categories that could have possibly referred to the Labyrinth in this context (the Illuminati and Filth categories in particular, I also looked at Agartha, The Buzzing, Gaia Engines, and the Host), and it's barely mentioned at all, only getting one part of the Illuminati entries. I also asked every single NPC in the Labyrinth, including Zurn who I only barely remembered, and they never say anything of the like. Literally the only reference to anything resembling any of this comes from Geary, who mentions that the Labyrinth was designed by an architect flown in from Germany. It's based on occult architecture, but it's European in nature, not Mayan.

In addition, there is no mention whatsoever of 'Illuminati higher-ups' never being seen. We likely never see many higher-ups in the Illuminati simply because they aren't important.

So I'm calling bullshit. There's no reference to the Labyrinth being Filthy, Mayan, or even all that suspicious. I know that people in RP often treat the Labyrinth as being rather difficult to navigate, but it's always depicted as strictly Euclidian; complex, yes, but it's not disobeying the laws of reality.

Without knowing where you got your information, I'm going to assume you got suckered in by fanfiction.

I can't get the game running for more than a few minutes without it crashing at the moment, so I can't cite or check lore segments directly. However a quick google search brings up some of the same stuff I wrote up a bunch of :words: about. And it was on TVTropes of all places, which I didn't think was known for getting into the heavier lore sperging. Turns out it's spoiled pretty early on in a roundabout way.

quote:

Foreshadowing: This game is full of foreshadowing, from mentions of Soviet supersoldiers to the incident in Japan to mentions of various locales not yet explored. One of the most disturbing, however, is that the Illuminati headquarters, the Labyrinth, is modelled after Mayan underground caverns. As you learn in the third dungeon, the Mayans may well have Dug Too Deep, and were touched by the filth. Are the Illuminati, then, corrupted as well?

Given that it's linked to the Mayan stuff, I think it may have come up during the temporary event relating to them if it's not in that area mentioned there. Either that, or one of the other areas relating to them/the in character twitters (Which are all semi-hidden, and have funny/extra lore stuff in them.).

I'd have to check though. Either way, it's definitely not bullshit. They make it clear that the Mayans got wiped out by a Filth infection of some sort. Given that the underground portion of the labyrinth is built off of a Mayan cave design,they're definitely trying to tweak the player's sense of paranoia on that front.

On the issue of the higher ups, they've actually been mentioned a few times. One of the out of game lore snippets mentions the Illuminati higher ups are outright afraid of some of the younger members, which is supposedly why they spend all their time locked away in the labyrinth.

Some of the pre-release lore goes into detail on this with an example character who was a "cleaner" having a one off line about how much they squirmed around her due to the fact that they knew she could kill them very easily.

There's also a line somewhere in the game mentioning that you probably wouldn't like to look/deal with them in person, which could be taken any number of ways. I think Geary brings it up at some point, but she's the only one I know of that actually talks about them in the actual game. The closest anyone gets to even confirming their existence is her, and she does it while dropping another hint about the labyrinth being an immensely hosed up place.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 15, 2013

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Keep living up to your red title, Archonex. Jesus christ. I don't have nearly the patience to wade through all of that and specifically source what's wrong, and what's conjecture you're presenting as fact, especially since large swaths of crygaia are still unfinished, but I can promise everyone here that he is walking into empty.

Cheston posted:

I don't know where they were going with that in Tyler Freeborn, but I thought it was a pretty big bombshell that there might be more than one strain of the Filth. I think it might be a reference to the Cthulhu mythos, where Cthulhu itself and its relationship with the other Great Old Ones/Outer Gods is complicated, hardly existing as a united front of cosmic horror.

And in regard to "The Host", I think Eblis is a bit of a rogue, because he never acted with any other angels, but just commanded his own faction of hellspawn, which I think arose just to quell Wicker's uprising.

edit 3 or something: Yeah, Zurn mentions offhandedly how sections of the Labyrinth were meant to mimic the claustrophobic dimensions of these things, but Zurn is crazy (also :tviv: I just realized he's Jeffrey Combs), and you don't see the Labyrinth going into lockdown as black goo runs up the walls, even after over 400 years of being there; whatever occult properties those caves had that the Illuminati tried to simulate, either something was lost in the translation, or there was nothing there in the first place. And again, Zurn is crazy.

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 15, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Protagorean posted:

Keep living up to your red title, Archonex. Jesus christ. I don't have nearly the patience to wade through all of that and specifically source what's wrong, and what's conjecture you're presenting as fact, especially since large swaths of crygaia are still unfinished, but I can promise everyone here that he is walking into empty.

So you post that it's wrong, but instead of posting evidence you make a smug red name joke and ignore the fact that I pointed out several times what's conjecture, what's them dropping hints at paths they might take, and what's actually fact. :jerkbag:

Regardless, i'm sorry I had to respond to two wordy posts at once. Since it's apparently a sticking point, since you can't spend the five minutes it takes to look that stuff up on the wiki, let me source it for you.

The Morninglight are shown to be explicitly not into taking Filth baths at several points. Case in point, everything to do with the Morninglight in every zone in the game. Everyone from the thug-like hippy in the first zone to the crazies in the last one are actively trying to keep anything related to it far away from them.

They're actually spending more time getting eaten alive in most areas by the Filth allied/infected monsters than they are working with it. And the few mentions of their plans show them being aligned with something else, with the inner circles implied to be slowly turning into monsters through some really hosed up rituals (IE: "We are all made of stars.").

The wiki is too lovely to have much info on them, but they do have the lore unlocks for them. The very first lore unlock says they're not dreamer aligned. The usual segment where the lore segues into comments like "initiate the ____" says to "initiate the anti-dream prayer" after making it clear that it's referring to the Morninglight in previous blurbs.

quote:

Our Wisdom flows so sweet. Taste and See.

TRANSMIT - initiate the self-improvement signal - RECEIVE - initiate the recruiting cadence - LOOKING FOR SOMETHING MORE? - initiate the Anti-dream prayer - ISN'T IT TIME TO WAKE UP? - initiate the shivering star frequency - I HAD NOT THOUGHT SELF-HELP HAD UNDONE SO MANY - flip the Ace of Ruin - WITNESS - The Morninglight

Maybe Issue 7 changed their status, but the lore prior to that point is pretty clear on that front.

There's literally nothing in the Tyler Freeborn arc to imply that the Sargasso Sea is a monster infected by the Filth
, so it's pretty much impossible to source that. Which is why I said that.

On the issue of the Eight being the Dreamers. Here's the achievement that shows what I mentioned about Orochi. The lore unlocks associated with the faction goes into detail about the various companies that make up Orochi.

http://wiki.crygaia.com/view/The_Eight-Headed_Serpent

http://wiki.crygaia.com/view/Orochi_Group#History

quote:

The name "Orochi" comes from the name of an 8-headed Japanese dragon known as [Yamata no Orochi] because the Orochi Group is made up of 8 subsidiaries. [3]. Their corporate logo is kanji symbol with eight lines that means "big snake"

I already sourced the Mayan stuff by pointing out the mission where they explicitly show the Mayans handling the Filth. They even go so far in showing it as to make you fight a filth infected guardian.

Here's the link to it on the wiki, though it doesn't have much info. http://wiki.crygaia.com/view/Xibalban_Bloodhound

For the record though, even setting aside the lore dumps, there's plenty of visual cues that point out they're Filth worshippers. The second boss is a filth infected guardian from the open world zone, for instance. And you can interrupt them worshipping Filth infectees like the guardian.

The stuff with the higher ups i've mentioned several times, and directed to some info about it. There's pretty much nothing concrete about them too, as I said before.

I don't want to write up another :words: post about the labyrinth teasing the devs were doing, but the post at the top of the page refutes the last claim someone made with a direct quote from a character showing how the architect killed himself. As a bonus though, here's the character who works as a cleanerI mentioned up above.

http://wiki.crygaia.com/view/Ronelle_Washington

Half the stuff about Samael is spoiled or hinted as early as London. Take a look at the posters and magazines lying around.

Unfortunately, there's way in loving hell I am to write up or source literally a game's worth of lore from start to finish, since there's stuff in almost every zone past Blue Mountain that hints at what he is and what he's trying to do. Hell, his related content continues all the way up to the last mission in Transylvania, so gently caress typing all of that up. I did a fairly big lore dump on him already explaining the name reference in conjunction with the character and his actions.

All that being said, i'm not sure what else there is to dispute?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 15, 2013

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
Man, the self-appointed do-gooders in /anniversity got HALOS. And they look COOL.

That's certainly not going to make them more self-righteous.

http://sephorassecretcloset.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/resplendent-halo/

They actually glow in game, looks much cooler than that screenshot.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

thegodofchuck posted:

Man, the self-appointed do-gooders in /anniversity got HALOS. And they look COOL.

That's actually pretty neat. Do you know if they stack with other head gear? Because I could see some hilarious clothing combinations working with that depending on what slot they go into.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 15, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Archonex, you haven't played 1.7? It tells you that the Dreamers and the mollusks are the same thing. They were never different things, and the lore never indicated that they were different before 1.7. It just wasn't (and will never be) explicit.

Freeborne: I didn't mean one giant monster, I meant the Draug (and what turned the Vikings into Draug) in general. That's what "You're in our dream, and we're in theirs. We're all in this together." is talking about. It's a generally-crazy dream-mingling situation.

The Labyrinth: You are drawing extensive amounts from a part of one of Geary's lines, and it's a line that reads as flavor to begin with.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

thegodofchuck posted:

I've seen a few people complain about the people running it but I think they were great and deserve the reward. People cluttering up the channel with nonsense did need to shut the gently caress up so it could actually be used.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Yeah, Archonex's posts about the subject of the Labyrinth read to me like he started with the conclusion of 'the Illuminati are bad and the Templars are right', and then used what evidence he could procure and a hefty amount of just straight-up making poo poo up to justify his conclusion.

He tried to say that the Labyrinth's non-euclidian nature of the lower floors is proof of this, right? I remember saying that. Not only is that straight-up not true and not justified by anything ever said about anything, it actually incriminates the Dragon more than anybody. Remember that their very first goddamn cutscene, where you first turn up in Seoul, directly shows you that they're using weird MC Escher-style street plans.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

guppy posted:

I've seen a few people complain about the people running it but I think they were great and deserve the reward. People cluttering up the channel with nonsense did need to shut the gently caress up so it could actually be used.

Oh, I'm pretty supportive of Wrong-way et al., but there's no denying he and some of the volunteers certainly were a bit self-righteous at times (you can both support and be annoyed by them). I'd definitely take things the way they were over... alternatives.

And I'm thoroughly jealous.

I'm hoping that there will be a similar model from the cash shop coming up and this is just a special unique one they're getting, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Archonex posted:

That's actually pretty neat. Do you know if they stack with other head gear? Because I could see some hilarious clothing combinations working with that depending on what slot they go into.

No idea, doesn't really matter though, you (and I) are not going to get one.

EDIT: upon reflection, it looks like it goes in the face slot, so probably it does.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Cheston posted:

Archonex, you haven't played 1.7? It tells you that the Dreamers and the mollusks are the same thing. They were never different things, and the lore never indicated that they were different before 1.7. It just wasn't (and will never be) explicit.

I can't even get the game to stay booted for more than ten minutes. This is the first update i've had to sit out for the time being due to the game's bugs finally causing me to have to wait out a fix for whatever the problem is. Granted, i'm used to the jankiness by now. Prior to this something in the last Solomon Island zone was causing massive lag any time I zoned in.

That's kind of an rear end-pull though. And makes some of the ambiguity of the earlier lore seem strange.

The problem is that the Morninglight never actually are shown supporting the Filth. The closest we get is Beaumont. And he's not exactly the most trustworthy character in the game. The rest of the time they're getting ripped apart or infected by the Filth or Filth aligned monsters. Plus, it kind of goes against a bunch of the stuff in the lore, like the snippet I posted up above.

Whatever though, be interested to see where they take that story development.

quote:

Freeborne: I didn't mean one giant monster, I meant the Draug (and what turned the Vikings into Draug) in general. That's what "You're in our dream, and we're in theirs. We're all in this together." is talking about. It's a generally-crazy dream-mingling situation.

The Labyrinth: You are drawing extensive amounts from a part of one of Geary's lines, and it's a line that reads as flavor to begin with.

The way the area looks makes me think it's actually a pocket dimension of some sort as opposed to an actual dream, with details/dreams/whatever from the minds of the various infected creatures making up parts of it.

The reason being that it looks a lot like one or two of the areas you see in the between chapter segments where the dreamers try to sway you over to their side. And in those the faction contact can mention that you "disappeared" when you go into those areas in those quests. The second interlude quest and last quest also show areas just like that, albeit with less screwed up architecture. Never mind that there thing talking to you has the same weird voice qualities as the dreamers can get.

All that's probably outside the capacity of the Draug. But not the Dreamers. Which means they're probably infected on some level, yeah. Sorry if I got confused on that point.

The line Geary says has almost nothing to do with the rest of the Labyrinth stuff, though. It's more just another one of the little blurbs that could completely change in context when they move the story forward, provided they aren't just faking players out on it.

Personally, I thought it was interesting that they'd toss so many little red herrings and possible story arcs like that in there. Most MMO's would never think to do something that complex with their story.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 15, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

The hourly back-pats were a little excessive, but yeah, I'll take it in exchange for being able to do the event with a tenth the personal effort.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Fine, let's do this.

Archonex posted:

Pretty sure they make a distinction between the Mollusk Gods and the Dreamers controlling the filth. Especially since the Filth is supposed to be directed by whatever is in the dreaming prison, and the Mollusk Gods are basically implied to be eldritch space/dimensional monsters. The Dreamers are infecters, while the Whale-Mollusk Gods are outright implied to be star devouring abominations of some sort in the release day lore. Though maybe they've retconned that? To my knowledge there hasn't been much said about them since then, if anything at all.

If nothing else, the one big lore dump on them makes them seem like a completely different flavor of batshit crazy compared to the Filth. Especially when you tie it into the rest of the lore pertaining to the rest of the lore pertaining to the Morninglight. They're less "infect everyone", and more concentrated :stonk:.

It's pretty loving obvious that every reference to whatever this game's equivalent to a pantheon of Outer Gods is are the same as the Dreamers. We can rationally reach this conclusion without having to be spoon-fed by the bees by reasoning that, if they were nearly all-powerful beings bent on consuming every last bit of Gaia (whose anima I'm getting the growing suspicion is just an extension of her existence the same way the Filth is an extension of the Dreamers') and weren't the beings the Gaia Engines kept asleep and it is your sole reason for existing to make sure they stay that way, then don't you think they would have already?

quote:

I didn't see anything about the Sargasso Sea being a monster that was corrupted either. The impression I got was that it was the Filth/a Dreamer itself talking to you. Especially since some of its conversations towards you imply it's actually directing all the Filth infected in the area. Plus, it has that same weird pitchless "voice of the legion" thing going on every now and then that the Dreamer voice does in the mid-chapter segments.

It's not an unreasonable theory to think that the corrupting influence in the Sargasso might have once had a partially terrestrial origin, as evidenced by the non-Draugur sea monsters playing in the Savage Coast and Blue Mountain, there's more than barnacle zombies at the bottom of the ocean. Of course, the Ur-Draugur and the Fog are both of the same origin as the Filth, and that's extra-dimensional in nature. Every time you see a hole in reality in this game, leading to the void between alien stars, it's the Filth, the thoughts and perhaps essence of the Dreamers (which would make the sequences where you have their harbinger trying to coax you into releasing them/yelling at you for being a dick, it's seas of black with tentacles writhing out of them), seeping through. The Ur-Draugur could even be a holdover from the Darkness War, or more likely, even further before that, that crept into the world in a previous Age, and was content to slumber at the bottom of the ocean until the Vikings awoke them with the same sword from a prior Age they used to seal away the incursion into Solomon Island from beyond. Which is why I think it's important to make the distinction that, while every boogeyman, nay eldritch horror, in this game might not be part of a united front, the Dreamers are definitely of the same mind to liberate themselves from their imprisonment.

quote:

The Eight is what Orochi is called by the Bees sometimes. Specifically, it's called an eight headed dragon once or twice. IE: The eight subsidiary megacorps (Anansi, Faust, Manticore, etc, etc.) that make up Orochi.

So far they don't appear to have anything to do with the Filth outside of some minor members who are trying to control it like Klein, or the inevitably botched research operation where it gets loose and kills or infects everything in the area. Are you sure you aren't confusing them with the Dreamers somehow? I may have missed something, but I don't recall any lore snippets implying that Orochi are in fact the Dreamers.

The Orochi/Filth connection is of course Tokyo, which as we learned from Issue 6, was some kind of bomb from a previous Age that literally tore a hole in the fabric of space, and provided an avenue for the Dreamers to spread their influence in the world via the Filth. For whatever reason (my pet theory is her just being a loving crazy immortal jilted by another immortal), Lilith, who serves/served on the board of directors for Orochi, has decided to throw her lot in with the Dreamers, so she's been working the angle of getting Orochi in bed with the Filth, only to sabotage them when they start to get a handle on things.

quote:

Eblis seems like his own little faction ruling Hell. At the very least his model in the files is completely different from the Host models, so it's likely he isn't with them or any other faction. He looks really damned weird, too compared to them.

Well, you got something right. I don't know if we're still spoiling Hell Eternal stuff, but Eblis is definitely an angel that's gone off the reservation and decided to take command of some of the Hell Dimensions' forces, if only as a direct response to Wicker's interference in the status quo down there. The incursions into Gaia, then, might be evidence of some other motive, possibly a crusade to holocaust mankind back into the Stone Age, which makes sense considering how low his opinion of humans is. And with the barrier between the worlds being weakened by all the Filth incursions, as mentioned in the Valley of the Sun God (it was the Black Pharoah, prophet of at least one of the Dreamers, who drew the armies of Hell towards Egypt), and the chaos going on with Tokyo, New England, Egypt, Transylvania, it's the perfect opportunity to bring about a new age with humanity playing "sub" again. I think that part of Eblis's motivation is similar to those of Lilith, Loki, and the Djinn, and that's outrage at someone/Gaia playing favorites with Gaia/humanity.

quote:

Samael may be with the "evil" host faction. A lot of what they imply he's trying to do is in line with the "bad" Host angel pushing an agenda that appears to be about controlling the filth for the greater good. Especially when you consider that he's the mysterious South African guy on the telephone line in all of the "fix our gently caress up" Orochi missions. Though they've still got room to turn him (or that Host member) evil if they want, I guess.

Evil's a bit strong. Besides, Samael has a point; what better way to fight an awesomely powerful elder god than with his own essence/whatever the gently caress Filth is to them?

As for the rest of that poo poo, because I'm too exhausted to gently caress with bbcode anymore, nowhere does it say the Mayans were wiped out by the Filth. Literally nowhere. Yes, they were in intimate contact with the Dreamers, as evidenced by their inspired attack on the Wabanaki and the Nameless Days, but the collapse of their society was, for the most part, as history tells us, even though, as the honeycombs tell us, it had been foretold, as the collapse of many prior civilizations from previous Ages had been (so far, only the Mayans have been right, even if their own societal collapse, which didn't mark the beginning of the Fourth Age nor the end of it, precluded them from seeing it as not-zombies).

As for Miss Washington, she's one of the Illuminati's Magicians, or cleaner corp, and is for all intents and purposes a badass in a lineage of badasses. In fact, when the board decides that your contract with the Illuminati is to be terminated, she's the one that's assigned to kill you after the events in the Valley of the Sun God (even as we hear conflicting reports from the societies that you are in fact mortal to an extent, whereras every immortal you meet treats you like some invincible moppet who can be defeated, but never killed). She's apparently the Wolverine of what she does, and so of course, some of the higher echelon is afraid of her, because in addition to a family reputation, she's the one they send to clean up messes even they can't touch. And they're all probably intimately aware of the circumstances of a visit from the Magicians. But she stood down to Geary, and even Geary is afraid of her bosses.

Archonex posted:

I can't even get the game to stay booted for more than ten minutes. This is the first update i've had to sit out for the time being due to the game's bugs finally causing me to have to wait out a fix for whatever the problem is. Granted, i'm used to the jankiness by now. Prior to this something in the last Solomon Island zone was causing massive lag any time I zoned in.

That's kind of an rear end-pull though. And makes some of the ambiguity of the earlier lore seem strange.

The problem is that the Morninglight never actually are shown supporting the Filth. The closest we get is Beaumont. And he's not exactly the most trustworthy character in the game. The rest of the time they're getting ripped apart or infected by the Filth or Filth aligned monsters. Plus, it kind of goes against a bunch of the stuff in the lore, like the snippet I posted up above.

Whatever though, be interested to see where they take that story development.

The way the area looks makes me think it's actually a pocket dimension of some sort as opposed to an actual dream, with details/dreams/whatever from the minds of the various infected creatures making up parts of it.

The reason being that it looks a lot like one or two of the areas you see in the between chapter segments where the dreamers try to sway you over to their side. And in those the faction contact can mention that you "disappeared" when you go into those areas in those quests. The second interlude quest and last quest also show areas just like that, albeit with less screwed up architecture. Never mind that there thing talking to you has the same weird voice qualities as the dreamers can get.

All that's probably outside the capacity of the Draug. But not the Dreamers. Which means they're probably infected on some level, yeah. Sorry if I got confused on that point.

The line Geary says has almost nothing to do with the rest of the Labyrinth stuff, though. It's more just another one of the little blurbs that could completely change in context when they move the story forward, provided they aren't just faking players out on it.

Personally, I thought it was interesting that they'd toss so many little red herrings and possible story arcs like that in there. Most MMO's would never think to do something that complex with their story.

Funcom did jack poo poo, you're just impossibly dense. Especially when you're cherry-picking which off-handed remarks you want to confirm your insane ramblings. And the Morninglight connection is obvious; they are unofficially working for Orochi, which explains their temporary alliance with the vampires per Lilith's orders, their resources and the extent to which they've spread, and the bees pretty much flat-out tell you. Beaumont was some petty immortal from thousands of years ago working them as part of another long-con which ended in Excalibur and you kicking his rear end, as it seems that, per their nature, the Morninglight still have a few personnel issues to work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Cheston posted:

The hourly back-pats were a little excessive, but yeah, I'll take it in exchange for being able to do the event with a tenth the personal effort.
I'd laugh if it turns out they got the list of recipients from Wrong-Way's sign-off post.

• Locked thread