Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Ariong posted:

Um, why exactly are you complaining about how hard it is to find fanfic in the Night Vale thread?

I am complaining on how hard it is to find in general. Some of it is surprisingly good and not tentacle-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Coco13 posted:

You want the Thrilling Adventure Hour. 'Sparks Nevada' (and it's spin-off, 'Cactoid Jim') and the older 'Tales from the Black Lagoon' and 'War of Two Worlds' episodes are heavily plot-dependent, so listen to them in order. 'Beyond Belief', 'Captain Laserbeam', 'Moonshine Holler', 'Jumbo the Elephant' and 'Amelia Earhart' can be listened to in any order.

This is cool. I can get into this and dig t pretty hard.

While we're recommending stuff, someone on Tumblr recommended The Fourth Tower of Inverness for Night Vale fans. It's a radio-ish serial from the seventies that blends comic surrealism, mid-century style gothic horror, and what amount to tracts and tutorials about Buddhist practices. It's pretty good when it's not being preachy.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
Let us speak not of fanfic. Allow it to lie buried within the depths of Tumblr, known only to those who seek it.

Let's have a fan video instead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDvBnIVWhRM

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Necros posted:

So is maxnmona Getting Paid now that he has a top rated podcast or is he only receiving donations? He should be getting money for this thing, but I'm not seeing ads or whatever so I'm not sure.

We are still entirely supported by listeners and t-shirt sales. We have no sponsors. We aren't completely opposed to sponsors, we just haven't sought it out at all.

Coco13 posted:

You want the Thrilling Adventure Hour. 'Sparks Nevada' (and it's spin-off, 'Cactoid Jim') and the older 'Tales from the Black Lagoon' and 'War of Two Worlds' episodes are heavily plot-dependent, so listen to them in order. 'Beyond Belief', 'Captain Laserbeam', 'Moonshine Holler', 'Jumbo the Elephant' and 'Amelia Earhart' can be listened to in any order.

The Thrilling Adventure Hour writers are also friends of ours and really cool guys. Listen to their show. And, even better, check out one of their live shows. The live shows are a blast.

Tjadeth posted:

Let us speak not of fanfic. Allow it to lie buried within the depths of Tumblr, known only to those who seek it.

This is cool, but why did they change our theme song

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Was the theme song inspired by Silent Hill? Because I always get shades of it when I'm listening to the opening of the podcast.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Coco13 posted:

Should I be starting at the beginning for this, or can I just jump in?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tjadeth posted:

I like how they have Cecil gawking up in the sky like he's at all concerned about the poo poo that goes on. It's Night Vale, instead of rush hour they have Glow Cloud and instead of construction they have the dog park. It's as mundane for the residents as sidewalk gum is for anywhere else, and the sole reason Cecil reports it is to make sure nobody is inconvenienced when they have to take a detour around a miniature city that suddenly materialized in a downtown intersection.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Should I be starting at the beginning for this, or can I just jump in?

Beginning. You don't have to listen to the entire podcast in order, but you want to listen to the individual shows in order - like 'Sparks Nevada' and 'Beyond Belief'. If there's one you don't particularly enjoy - 'Tales from the Black Lagoon,' for example - you can skip them and it won't affect your enjoyment of 'Captain Laserbeam!' or 'Colonel Tick-Tock.'

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

The Entire Universe posted:

I like how they have Cecil gawking up in the sky like he's at all concerned about the poo poo that goes on. It's Night Vale, instead of rush hour they have Glow Cloud and instead of construction they have the dog park. It's as mundane for the residents as sidewalk gum is for anywhere else, and the sole reason Cecil reports it is to make sure nobody is inconvenienced when they have to take a detour around a miniature city that suddenly materialized in a downtown intersection.

It looked to me like he was smiling rather than gawking, so my interpretation was just that he was enjoying a cheerful day in the breeze of an ominously swirling cloudmass. As you do.

This has been discussed before, but I'm chiming in my agreement with those who enjoy how earnest he is. I think it really makes the show.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

So does it flip on at midnight or am I gonna have to wait until sometime tomorrow morning for it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Coco13 posted:

Beginning. You don't have to listen to the entire podcast in order, but you want to listen to the individual shows in order - like 'Sparks Nevada' and 'Beyond Belief'. If there's one you don't particularly enjoy - 'Tales from the Black Lagoon,' for example - you can skip them and it won't affect your enjoyment of 'Captain Laserbeam!' or 'Colonel Tick-Tock.'

Is there a way to see just the episodes of a certain series?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Apparently it was the stroke of midnight. Yay!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Is there somewhere where I can e-mail station management? I'd like to send them a few suggestions about how they are currently running the place. I'm not sure how successful I will be in this endeavor, and I'm not sure what repercussions it will have on the rest of my life and the impact I will have on the universe and how I will be remembered, but I'd still like to put in my two cents.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
If you contact Station Management, who knows what you will wrought in your foolish, headstrong charge into the blackest void that is destiny? Who knows?? That said, I'm sure they will be happy to hear from you so long as you do not mention the or Kashek.

It is when they are silent you must run.

vvv :drat: Beating TED and Radiolab?!

Slaan fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 15, 2013

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Cecil or Ira Glass? I'm not sure I can make that choice.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

MooCowlian posted:

Cecil or Ira Glass? I'm not sure I can make that choice.

Cecil all the way, much more soothing voice.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Oh, and I guess the word is out now, so I can say here that the guest star from later this summer will be Jasika Nicole, aka Astrid from Fringe.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

Oh, and I guess the word is out now, so I can say here that the guest star from later this summer will be Jasika Nicole, aka Astrid from Fringe.

That's awesome.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

maxnmona posted:

I don't know who that is, but awesome. Also, I discovered this pod cast this week for some reason so I guess I am the cause of all of your current good fortune. I've been talking about it constantly, like a record skipping.

Seriously, this show is the absolute best. I can leave it on in the background while I work because Cecil's words are just soothing, and then when I start paying attention to his words they are subtly hilarious. I absolutely love how often the secret police are mentioned.

One final thing: I want to buy a Night Vale t-shirt in medium, it made me sad that such a thing doesn't exist right now (For a given value of existing). You should also consider some additional merchandise, like a night light that shines only in infrared or a radio that broadcasts only static.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Yeah, we got overwhelmed by t-shirt orders and basically ended up having to mail out our entire last printing of t-shirts in a single day to fill backorders.

We have a much, much larger printing of shirts coming in soon, so we shouldn't run out again for a bit.

And more merch is coming soon.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
That's awesome. I'm really glad this thing is taking off, and wish for much more success because of this. I will totally buy a t-shirt or whatever merchandise you have. I'm thinking about a donation to be immune from the laws of man too.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

maxnmona posted:

Yeah, we got overwhelmed by t-shirt orders and basically ended up having to mail out our entire last printing of t-shirts in a single day to fill backorders.

We have a much, much larger printing of shirts coming in soon, so we shouldn't run out again for a bit.

Koshek and/or Glow Cloud plushies! :swoon:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Omg the "First Date" episode is so gosh darn cute :3:

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Slaan posted:

Koshek and/or Glow Cloud plushies! :swoon:
I want a plush soft meats crown. Also, a dog park playset that's just a box of press releases from the Mayor's office denying the existence of the dog park in increasingly vehement terms, some of which are scrawled in blood or other unidentifiable substances.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

maxnmona posted:

The Thrilling Adventure Hour writers are also friends of ours and really cool guys. Listen to their show. And, even better, check out one of their live shows. The live shows are a blast.

I love The Thrilling Adventure Hour too. I just bought tickets to see them next week!

If you guys ever make it to San Diego I'm there. You'd have to schedule the reading in the middle of the day, in the middle of the desert, in the middle of the summer. Just to get the feel right.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
If someone hasn't done it yet, we need a new version of the "if you see something, say something" campaign posters, adapted to "If you See something, say nothing and drink to forget".

I'm loving this show.

Edit: The podcast artworks seems like an excellent jumping off point. I just wish I had actual design/Photoshop skill.

burnsep fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 15, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

burnsep posted:

If someone hasn't done it yet, we need a new version of the "if you see something, say something" campaign posters, adapted to "If you See something, say nothing and drink to forget".

I'm loving this show.

Edit: The podcast artworks seems like an excellent jumping off point. I just wish I had actual design/Photoshop skill.

There's like a dozen of those on the fan art compilation tumblr.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

maxnmona posted:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

This American Life just hit 500 shows and did a big special, so it's not too surprising they'd get a boost. Hopefully Night Vale will be back on top soon.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

maxnmona posted:

Oh drat, I was just about to order a t-shirt too. When will they be shipping again?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

Oh drat, I was just about to order a t-shirt too. When will they be shipping again?

We still have X-Larges, 2XLs and X-Smalls. We might have a couple Larges, I'm not sure until the end of the day.

In any case, we'll be getting a huge amount of all shirts in about 2 weeks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skeezy posted:

Omg the "First Date" episode is so gosh darn cute :3:

The weather on this episode is so loving good.

burnsep posted:

I'm loving this show.

"IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, DO NOT LOOK AT IT. DO NOT THINK ABOUT IT. DO NOT MENTION IT."

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 15, 2013

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

I love art that implies that Carlos is actually super embarrassed by what Cecil says on the radio.

I assume that, in the canon of the actual show, that he just doesn't listen to it, and never has, so he's missing that.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

maxnmona posted:

I was hoping for Anna Torv, but that's just as fantastic of news!

These next few months will be a long wait.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

dj_clawson posted:

I love art that implies that Carlos is actually super embarrassed by what Cecil says on the radio.

I assume that, in the canon of the actual show, that he just doesn't listen to it, and never has, so he's missing that.

Carlos is beautiful and perfect in any way. And, as he is perfect (and beautiful!), he obviously listens to Night Vale Community Radio. To not do so is FORBIDDEN by the Town Council, and how can someone who does not follow the Town Council's wondrous yet terrifying legal plan be perfect?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

maxnmona posted:

Gaaaahhh! Astrid! She was 100% of the reasons I watched that show as it declined into deeper and deeper levels of insanity.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure I said "Awwww" out loud at least four times while I was listening to the new episode. Cecil talking about how happy he was that Carlos kissed him was the most :3 thing yet.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

As a Carlos myself I'm honored to have one of my own kissed by the beautiful Cecil.

Also yea, my hair is perfect

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
I love how Carlos is becoming more and more like a cartoonish caricature of a scientist as the show goes on. (Walking around in a casual lab coat)Perhaps he is just becoming more like a native Nightvalion. Nightvailington? What do you call someone from Nightvale? I hope he becomes a mad scientist someday, with his perfect hair and :h::h::h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The first time I listened to Night Vale was during a drive out of Roswell to Alamagordo. I think that's a pretty good beginning.