Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

MY favorite intro with Tarot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAAyt7-yQ8w

From an early 70s series called Ace of Wands, about a man named Tarot who apparently does goes around and solves mysteries of a magical sort. What very little I've seen of it it has a classic Dr. Who vibe. With the wizard/witch craze and the Who revival of the last decade, I'm sort of surprised they didn't try to reboot this.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's streaming anywhere and like classic Dr. Who I think there are lost episodes, so I'm not really sure if the rest of the series lives up to the intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

maxnmona posted:

That poo poo is boring as hell and I really don't get what people find interesting about it.

I'm still trying to figure this out. I sat down and watched two seasons over a weekend and was anything but impressed. Winter is apparently coming and the night is dark and full of overhyped shows.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

isomerc posted:

I'm still trying to figure this out. I sat down and watched two seasons over a weekend and was anything but impressed. Winter is apparently coming and the night is dark and full of overhyped shows.

Why did you watch 20 hours of a show in 2 days if you weren't impressed?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

isomerc posted:

Yeah, the show's only so-so, but I was talking about the opening credits. Like it's kind of a cool idea, but it goes on forever and is so tedious to sit through.

I love the Homeland opening.

Speaking of truly great opening credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJmT7V95FK8

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

NoneSuch posted:

Why did you watch 20 hours of a show in 2 days if you weren't impressed?

Writing code on one monitor, gaming on another, and video on the third. It wasn't really like I was sitting on the couch with a blankie and popcorn. :P

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
So it also wasn't like you were watching and actually paying attention, either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

User-Friendly posted:

Rubicon is phenomenal. It's a travesty that it died for The Killing.

Also the worst opening credits still goes to Homeland. Awful, awful, awful.

Rubicon is good but I wouldn't give anyone the expectation that it's going to blow their mind, because it's a very slow and deliberate show.

I can't believe The Killing got renewed and it didn't though.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Jay Dub posted:

So it also wasn't like you were watching and actually paying attention, either.

Well that's quite the assumption, isn't it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

isomerc posted:

Well that's quite the assumption, isn't it.

Not really? I often do other things while "watching" TV, but I wouldn't pretend I'm really paying attention. TV is visual, if you are looking at something else you are definitionally not paying attention.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

Not really? I often do other things while "watching" TV, but I wouldn't pretend I'm really paying attention. TV is visual, if you are looking at something else you are definitionally not paying attention.

Well I'll just leave it at this then....

I didn't like it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

maxnmona posted:

That poo poo is boring as hell and I really don't get what people find interesting about it.

Looks like an intro to a 90's computer game.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So hey have you guys seen anything good streaming on Netflix?

I mean openings and bad shows are awesome. But. Netflix.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

magnificent7 posted:

I saw the Nova documentary, How Ships Sink the other day. It's actually pretty fascinating.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

magnificent7 posted:

Conan the Destroyer is on Netflix, as is the far, far inferior Conan the Barbarian (2011) if you want to do a shirtless guys chopping things double feature. Unfortunately the original Conan isn't on there anymore. Also, Fire and Ice if you want to watch the male gaze-iest movie I've ever seen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Fire and Ice is sort of like a PG Heavy Metal, hence not as interesting as it could be.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Maxwell Lord posted:

Fire and Ice is sort of like a PG Heavy Metal, hence not as interesting as it could be.
It kind of feels like an 80 minute episode of He-Man, but with a lot more lingering shots of the princess' rear end taking up 90% of the screen.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Fire and Ice was better than I expected, but then again I despised Wizards (not on Netflix) so that wasn't too hard... The animation was pretty good.

The only thing I have to add about show intros is that I wish Netflix would do chapter stops so I could skip them. No matter how good an intro is, it gets real old after a few times, especially when plowing through a show.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If there's one thing that The Greatest Event In Television History has taught me, it's that every show should have minute+ intros.

Unfortunately, goofy montage intros like Simon & Simon's are a rare bird on TV these days. Orange is the New Black's intro was okay to watch once but I fast forwarded through it every time after.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

precision posted:

I can't believe The Killing got renewed and it didn't though.

As a fan of Rubicon and a watcher of the first season of The Killing, I'm a very bitter person.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

hcreight posted:

Unfortunately, goofy montage intros like Simon & Simon's are a rare bird on TV these days. Orange is the New Black's intro was okay to watch once but I fast forwarded through it every time after.

We still have character montages, it just tends to be quicker and punchier.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Khorne Flakes posted:

Had the pleasure of watching Happy People: A Year in the Taiga last night. Such a great documentary about the solitude of trappers in the vast Siberian wild. The film is supposed to cover the hard conditions and survival skills of what these men go through all year long, but I feel like the main focus of the movie was more about man and his best friend dogs. The story of the one dog fighting off a bear to protect the town while the other ran was spectacular, the dog was so bad rear end.

If you like anything involving nature, or want to experience total solitude, or the study of mans best friend, this is well worth a watch.

As a native Russian speaker, one thing that really came across to me was their begrudging but very real emotional/familial connections to their dogs. I don't think it came across as well in the translated subtitles.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

david_a posted:

Fire and Ice was better than I expected, but then again I despised Wizards (not on Netflix) so that wasn't too hard... The animation was pretty good.

The only thing I have to add about show intros is that I wish Netflix would do chapter stops so I could skip them. No matter how good an intro is, it gets real old after a few times, especially when plowing through a show.

I've seen a lot of shows that do just this. Watching the IT Crowd, I noticed that after a couple of episodes, they'd start up at 30 seconds in, just after the opening.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crappy Jack posted:

I've seen a lot of shows that do just this. Watching the IT Crowd, I noticed that after a couple of episodes, they'd start up at 30 seconds in, just after the opening.

I think every show I've watched recently does this if you hit "Next Episode" while the credits are rolling.

But holy poo poo yes they need to figure out some way to have Chapter Select for films, it's like the 80s all over again fast-forwarding through poo poo.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I never liked My Name is Earl (Jason Lee grates on me) but Raising Hope is seriously fantastic and gives me Malcolm in the Middle vibes in a really good way.

echronorian posted:

Who the hell thought a minute and a half intro sequence was a wise idea? Other than that Orange is the New Black is pretty alright.

The "Regina Spektor doing her best Karen O impersonation" song debuting with the series is probably a factor.

Slate Action posted:

I don't know about 'consistent' but the quality rarely dips very far in the first six seasons. Definitely give it a go.

The quality definitely dips during the first 2 seasons. 3-6 are pretty much solid gold, though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

isomerc posted:

Writing code on one monitor, gaming on another, and video on the third. It wasn't really like I was sitting on the couch with a blankie and popcorn. :P

Haha, I can barely understand how show-only people can follow what's going on compared to the books, let alone someone giving it 1/4 their attention. Tell me, how do the Seven Kingdoms line up alliance-wise?

(removed potentially spoiler laden material relating to season 3)

Since you've only watched through Season 2, I'll rewrite a couple questions. Who is heir to the Iron Throne? Who is heir to the Riverlands? What place is Stannis in line for the throne?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 16, 2013

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

regulargonzalez posted:

Haha, I can barely understand how show-only people can follow what's going on compared to the books, let alone someone giving it 1/4 their attention. Tell me, how do the Seven Kingdoms line up alliance-wise?

(removed potentially spoiler laden material relating to season 3)

Since you've only watched through Season 2, I'll rewrite a couple questions. Who is heir to the Iron Throne? Who is heir to the Riverlands? What place is Stannis in line for the throne?

I watched the show for all 3 seasons, giving it my full attention, and I can answer...one of those? Maybe? But I wouldn't be that certain about it?

Like I don't even remember anyone talking about something called "Riverlands". What's the Riverlands?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Tried Orange is The New Black last night after all the talk about it. The pilot was pretty awful but I like to give shows more than one episode when trying them and it got a bit better. Still, seems like its going to be pretty mediocre. And yes, seeing Laura Prepon naked in the first 10 seconds of the show grabbed my attention.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I got excited when they just uploaded a bunch of new NOVA documentaries, because Netflix usually mostly has terrible Discovery Channel and National Geographic shows. But then the title card comes up and it says, "Nova-National Geographic." Dammit. I knew it was strange PBS was suddenly making 'Deadliest Disaster' shows.

Now somebody's going to want to defend National Geographic, probably because the magazines carry a lot of cache, but before you do, please watch Secrets of the Viking Sword.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

maxnmona posted:

I watched the show for all 3 seasons, giving it my full attention, and I can answer...one of those? Maybe? But I wouldn't be that certain about it?

Like I don't even remember anyone talking about something called "Riverlands". What's the Riverlands?

It's where Robb Stark is during the last few episodes of Season 1 and all of Seasons 2 and 3. And Jaime during the same time period. And Brienne for most of her time on-screen. It's where that huge castle that Tywin and Arya were at in Season 2 is. Also where the Freys live. Really, probably a quarter of the show takes place in the Riverlands. It's sort of hard to miss.

That said I don't think most TV-only watchers would be able to answer who the heir to the Riverlands is, or how the Seven Kingdoms line up alliance wise since The Vale and Dorne are hardly ever mentioned and I don't know how often The Westerlands, Stormlands, or Crownlands are called by name.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay I just finished marathoning "Sherlock" and quite enjoyed its over the top silliness.

But someone please explain the finale to me.

1. He actually WAS a fraud? or

2. He only sold that line because it was necessary to save his friends? or

3. Something else? also

4. Is he dead or what?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SRM posted:

It kind of feels like an 80 minute episode of He-Man, but with a lot more lingering shots of the princess' rear end taking up 90% of the screen.

What else could you expect from a movie with Frank Frazetta involvement?

:colbert:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I got excited when they just uploaded a bunch of new NOVA documentaries, because Netflix usually mostly has terrible Discovery Channel and National Geographic shows. But then the title card comes up and it says, "Nova-National Geographic." Dammit. I knew it was strange PBS was suddenly making 'Deadliest Disaster' shows.

Now somebody's going to want to defend National Geographic, probably because the magazines carry a lot of cache, but before you do, please watch Secrets of the Viking Sword.

I love most of the National Geographic documentaries. It makes me feel like I'm in High School again.

I don't remember the Viking sword documentary being that bad. Then again it was at 430 in the morning and I wasn't really paying attention.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Crappy Jack posted:

Ah, but now we're getting into a different Netflix complaint, which is that none of the players work the same. The Apple TV app doesn't do this nor does it have "Next Episode." Altough that's probably more on Apple than Netflix...

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Zwabu posted:

Okay I just finished marathoning "Sherlock" and quite enjoyed its over the top silliness.

3. Something else? also

4. Is he dead or what?

I think 2 is correct. As for 4, it's been a while since I watched the finale, but from what I remember Sherlock makes a visit to the doctor who has a thing for him and Moriarty didn't have a gunman on her later (I guess he didn't realize she was a friend of his), which likely means he had her set up a fake corpse double. There's a truck near the building when he jumps that he could've fallen into.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Moriarity had him beat and guns on everyone that (Moriarity knew) he cared about. The only way for him to save them would be to admit he was a fraud, which he was not, and/or die. He went to his Medical Examiner friend presumably to help fake his death. How he did it is the big mystery of the off-season.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Erebus posted:

Sherlock makes a visit to the doctor who has a thing for him and Moriarty didn't have a gunman on her later (I guess he didn't realize she was a friend of his), which likely means he had her set up a fake corpse double. There's a truck near the building when he jumps that he could've fallen into.

Ah, yes, thanks for this.

I remember thinking "hm doesn't look quite like him" when they showed the Sherlock corpse on the sidewalk, but then again we often don't, ahem, look ourselves after such a fall.

One last question.

Did Holmes actually send Watson the text message or call informing him the landlady had been shot, in order to get Watson out of the way for his rooftop rendezvous with Moriarty?

I think the episode with the dominatrix spy has got to be my favorite. The very end of that episode is utterly preposterous but absolutely perfect.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

TTBF posted:

It's where Robb Stark is during the last few episodes of Season 1 and all of Seasons 2 and 3. And Jaime during the same time period. And Brienne for most of her time on-screen. It's where that huge castle that Tywin and Arya were at in Season 2 is. Also where the Freys live. Really, probably a quarter of the show takes place in the Riverlands. It's sort of hard to miss.

That said I don't think most TV-only watchers would be able to answer who the heir to the Riverlands is, or how the Seven Kingdoms line up alliance wise since The Vale and Dorne are hardly ever mentioned and I don't know how often The Westerlands, Stormlands, or Crownlands are called by name.

The Crownlands are not one of the Seven Kingdoms :colbert:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Zwabu posted:

3. Something else? also

4. Is he dead or what?

Of course he's not dead, and faking the jump would be a fairly easy illusion to perform. In the books, Sherlock really died because Conan Doyle was sick of the character. Then he came back because he changed his mind and it was all a trick within the retcon storyline. The specifics of the explanation will be different for obvious reasons. I think it'd be cool if he stayed "dead" for an episode to explore the other characters' worlds more deeply, but that probably won't happen.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Personally, I think the more interesting mystery will be how he clears his name more than how he faked his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but did anyone else's instant queue just disappear?

• Locked thread