Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

It's not on amazon, it's not on netflix, they don't have episodes or even clips on their website and it doesn't have a wikipedia page. It's almost like they don't want you to watch their show.

Well, that's discovery.ca for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

It's not on amazon, it's not on netflix, they don't have episodes or even clips on their website and it doesn't have a wikipedia page. It's almost like they don't want you to watch their show.

first episode premieres(ed?) this week I think, based on what I can find so that's why.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Did it seem like they prepped the limo to be sliced in half when the Crown Vic sailed through it? It just seemed to snap in half a bit too easy.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

ZippySLC posted:

Did it seem like they prepped the limo to be sliced in half when the Crown Vic sailed through it? It just seemed to snap in half a bit too easy.

Top Gear would never fake anything.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Casual Yogurt posted:

Top Gear would never fake anything.

They have won awards for non-scripted tv after all!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

G-Mach posted:

They have won awards for non-scripted tv after all!

And Princeton Law School is very highly regarded. What's your point?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

fivre posted:

And Princeton Law School is very highly regarded. What's your point?

It's a joke.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I think I suggested it awhile ago, in this thread even, but I will reiterate. I want them to do a Top Gear Special Blitzkrieg! Clarkson, May and Hammond have to purchase three VW Beetles for less than the cost of a new car in June 1941 (its about $1000 or £650) and drive them from Berlin to Moscow (about 1100 miles) faster than the Germans made the trip! The Germans made it to Moscow in about 7 months - June to December, I figure the boys can do better and do it in just seven days while conquering challenges along the way. Technically 1100 miles in seven days shouldn't really be extraordinary but gotta give them some leeway they are making a television show after all.

Why the VW Beetle? Other than it's obvious German heritage it also just happens to be one car the three agree on. They all hate it. Which can only end well for the viewer.

Can Clarkson cross Poland without making a joke?
Will May spend the entire week schooling everyone about the war and forget to drive at all?
Will Hammond be mysteriously blown up by a Soviet tank as he sleeps?

We'll never know until they try.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Sedgr posted:

Can Clarkson cross Poland without making a joke?

Clarkson can't even think of Poland without making a joke.

It's a great idea though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Galler posted:

I like Hammond but I would certainly not be upset with him getting replaced with Sabine.

I have an enormous crush on Sabine and I would be more than OK with this change.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

G-Mach posted:

It's a joke.

Oh, I never would have known.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Qwijib0 posted:

Other speculation is that it's Sabine Schmitz (daily mail, but this is speculation anyway)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1349967/Is-BBC-Top-Gears-new-Stig-German-racing-driver-Sabine-Schmitz.html

You may remember her from the Transit-goes-round-the-Nurburgring-in-just-over-10-minutes film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc

Doesn't she already do some Top Gear-esque show in Germany though? I mean I suppose it's completely possible to do both but that would have to be pretty tiring on her to have to keep going back and forth.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I like that they decided to do proper budget cars for this week's episode.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SiliconX posted:

Doesn't she already do some Top Gear-esque show in Germany though? I mean I suppose it's completely possible to do both but that would have to be pretty tiring on her to have to keep going back and forth.
Six episodes per season. All the Stig testing of cars can probably be done in one swoop over a few days in a row.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm sure most of this week's episode must have been filmed in condemned/slated-for-demolition housing blocks or something, and sneaky camera work can make even Manhattan look like the zombie apocalypse hit it, but jeeezus that's one deserted-looking country. I know I haven't read about the mass depopulation of Spain on CNN lately, though maybe that's just because it's world news or something.

Someone please train these guys how to pronounce "pie-ella" though.

Also Cummerbund Bandersnatch made a pretty hilariously awkward guest. Mention Trekkies and immediately he's off talking about all the creepy slash fiction he's been forcing himself to read as role research.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Data Graham posted:

I'm sure most of this week's episode must have been filmed in condemned/slated-for-demolition housing blocks or something, and sneaky camera work can make even Manhattan look like the zombie apocalypse hit it, but jeeezus that's one deserted-looking country. I know I haven't read about the mass depopulation of Spain on CNN lately, though maybe that's just because it's world news or something.

Also Cummerbund Bandersnatch made a pretty hilariously awkward guest. Mention Trekkies and immediately he's off talking about all the creepy slash fiction he's been forcing himself to read as role research.
While Top Gear certainly can't resist certain exaggerations, pre-planned "spontaneity" and literary license, there are real ghost cities in Spain and the airport was a real airport that was closed 3 years after it opened; all victims to the great recession and bursting of the housing bubble.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/16/spain-ghost-towns-real-estate-crash_n_1281032.html

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
...Welcome to Top Gear, the world's leading motoring show. :raise:

Data Graham posted:

If it's good enough for Jacques Pepin it's good enough for me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does anyone know what the song is they used during that mountain road they were on? I've been wanting to know ever since they did that Senna segment.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Am I the only one who thinks that Jaguar is the best looking car out of all of them?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That was a good episode, the 3 have such great chemistry together, like they're lifelong friends. I couldn't make it very far into the Bandicoot Cabbagepatch interview, something about that guy creeps me out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

OptimusMatrix posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that Jaguar is the best looking car out of all of them?

I agree. It also sounded the best.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Can the Benedict Cumberbatch silly names go the way of the M Night Shyamalan ones? It's grating and not funny. Of course, I didn't think it was all that awkward and weird but for the fact that he was slower than Warwick Davis.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone know what the song is they used during that mountain road they were on? I've been wanting to know ever since they did that Senna segment.

You might be interested in this: http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear-episode-songs/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Thanks, it's Radiohead - Optimistic.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Soundtracks aren't unusual for them (they fell in love with TRON: Legacy's for a while) but I can't recall them using video game stuff before.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Soundtracks aren't unusual for them (they fell in love with TRON: Legacy's for a while) but I can't recall them using video game stuff before.

The amount of times they use Clint Mansel Soundtracks is staggering.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

Other speculation is that it's Sabine Schmitz (daily mail, but this is speculation anyway)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1349967/Is-BBC-Top-Gears-new-Stig-German-racing-driver-Sabine-Schmitz.html

You may remember her from the Transit-goes-round-the-Nurburgring-in-just-over-10-minutes film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc

That's crap. Stig doesn't have breasts. Also, a lady driver wondering around the set would be too conspicuous. On top of that, new Stig opened his mouth in front of a camera. He's British and male.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Whiteycar posted:

The amount of times they use Clint Mansel Soundtracks is staggering.

Heh, I thought I recognized a piece from The Fountain.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I wonder how much a quarter panel costs on a Ferrari? And I bet that underside isn't cheap to replace either. I enjoyed the episode but fast forwarded the SIARPC. There's something about abandoned cities/infrastructure that's really creepy, touching a part of the human brain that I can't quite put my finger to. It's been ingrained in media throughout history, from an episode of Rugrats to that Langoliers thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do we know if they even did all the disintegration to the underside? For all we know that was a press car and had been run a bit ragged.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's not implausible, given all the other damage they were pretty sure had happened just then. Those long telephoto shots where the car is surrounded by a dust cloud? Probably more like a pebble cloud.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

grover posted:

While Top Gear certainly can't resist certain exaggerations, pre-planned "spontaneity" and literary license, there are real ghost cities in Spain and the airport was a real airport that was closed 3 years after it opened; all victims to the great recession and bursting of the housing bubble.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/16/spain-ghost-towns-real-estate-crash_n_1281032.html

China's even worse. When I was in Beijing last summer I saw massive areas of 30+ story highrise condos completely deserted and as you procede out of the city you drive by this creepy place: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/12/chinas-abandoned-wonderland/100207/

The HBO show Vice did an episode about a couple of China's ghost cities earlier this year.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
A good episode, much better than that piece of poo poo they put on last week. I think they succeed the most when there is less focus on scripted jokes, and more on the cars.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

neckbeard posted:

China's even worse. When I was in Beijing last summer I saw massive areas of 30+ story highrise condos completely deserted and as you procede out of the city you drive by this creepy place: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/12/chinas-abandoned-wonderland/100207/

The HBO show Vice did an episode about a couple of China's ghost cities earlier this year.

An even better ghost city: http://www.marketplace.org/topics/world/chinas-hangover/china-replica-manhattan-loses-its-luster

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

After watching this week's SIARPC, I now love Benedict Cumberbatch even more than I did before. I guess stardom hasn't quite gotten to him yet, he felt like a real person.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Some years back they were using stuff off the Halo 2 soundtrack, so it's not a new thing for them at all.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hey guys have you heard of these three cars: Ferrari 458, McLaren MP4-12C, Audi R8? It'd be so cool if they'd test those cars against each other. Then do it again. And again. Year in year out. Again.

And yes, the most interesting car in the whole episode, the Jag, could've used a lot more screen time. What an awesome car.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Haven't watched this weeks episode yet but I do have to say that by and large I like segments where they're just having a good time in general. I also really like when they do genuinely informative segments. Like their love letter to Saab.

Looking back the last couple seasons I really liked when they went to China, I liked when they built the car for the really old person, and I liked when Hammond went to America/Texas to cover NASCAR.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want Top Gear to become nothing but hour long specials of them building a race car, taking trips around the world, comparing 3 junk heaps etc rather than multiple separate segments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

kylej posted:

I want Top Gear to become nothing but hour long specials of them building a race car, taking trips around the world, comparing 3 junk heaps etc rather than multiple separate segments.

So, Top Gear US?