Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

rizzen posted:

I'm stuck in the same boat, and I haven't paddled my way to shore yet. I've picked up and put down A Dance of Dragons god knows how many times. In the two years since I finished TCG I think I've only read to completion ICE's books, the Bauchelain novellas and the first of Alastair Reynold's novels.

I can finally use the word ennui correctly! Thanks Erikson!

Ooh, and I can pair it with insipid to describe the feeling of reading other books :smithcloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is this problem with fantasy in general because of the actual writing or because of the separate plot threads and general mystery and such? I've read all but the newest ASoIaF books but can't really see myself reading anymore for some reason. If the rest of the fantasy genre is not very good I'll just read other stuff instead I guess.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

With me it's the problem I mentioned a month or two back where no one else in the genre really seems to hit the emotional notes Erikson is capable of. I rarely feel as satisfied with the works of someone else as I did with each Malazan book. It basically hit every button in regards to what I love to see in the genre and in a narrative, and that's frankly a rarity for any author in any genre to do for a reader, in my opinion anyway.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Scott Bakula posted:

Is this problem with fantasy in general because of the actual writing or because of the separate plot threads and general mystery and such? I've read all but the newest ASoIaF books but can't really see myself reading anymore for some reason. If the rest of the fantasy genre is not very good I'll just read other stuff instead I guess.

I grew up on fantasy, loved the poo poo. Then I kinda fell out of it, except for Terry Pratchett (read Terry Pratchett), and only came back to any degree with the Game of Thrones HBO adaptation. I blasted through those - fourth book not so good, fifth should not have seen print until edited by someone competent at the very least - and then cast around. I tried reading some stuff by J. V. Jones but it was loving stupid, except for the character of Vaylo Bludd, so I gave up and then happened across this thread extolling the virtues of undead velociraptors with swords for arms.

Well...

Now I'm back in the same boat. It's not that fantasy writing is poo poo by its very nature so much as it tends to be treated as such so any old poo poo can get published and then people buy lots of terrible Mary Sue/ Marty Stu bullshit written by gaping chasms of insecure (Laurell K Hamilton rampages to mind). I tend to view it as people start with a good idea and then, over time, seem to drift towards caring what someone at a book signing or whatever will think and then they get a book published whose premise is predicate on the awesome bon mots they will throw out off the cuff.

tl;dr Fantasy attracts the wish-fulfillment fuckhead crowd like you would not believe.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Erikson's Malazan series is my favorite series ever, and after I finished I checked out Joe Abercrombie's work from goon recomendations and it worked out well - though be warned, like Gardens of the Moon, his first novel The Blade Itself is decent but isnt the best but the series gets much better later on, and my two favorites of his are after his original trilogy. I think he does well with giving his characters motivations like Erikson does, so you don't see the one-note good guy/bad guy like you can see in a lot of fantasy.

Start with The First Law trilogy (The Blade Itself, Before they are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings) then onto the somewhat stand-alones Best Served Cold, The Heroes, and Red Country.

Best Served Cold is great, like a greatest hits of supporting characters from the trilogy, and The Heroes is probably his best out of all of them.

And back to Kalamchat everyone knows that British actor Nonso Anozie recently from Game of Thrones and The Bible is what Kalam looks like (though Anozie is like 6'6" and I picture Kalam more squat but just as bulky)

And Lance Reddick from The Wire is Quick Ben, seriously just look at him.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Only if we could get Mos Def to play Fiddler or Hedge.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

PlushCow posted:

And Lance Reddick from The Wire is Quick Ben, seriously just look at him.

Not saying you're wrong but I'd lean more towards Don Cheadle. Mind you, I'd love Don Cheadle as Leonard Pine whilst his writer, Joe R Lansdale, favours Sam Jackson.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If you want to try something IN SPACE, check out the Honor Harrington novels. They descend into political meanderings even worse than Erikson's general philosophizing, but that only happens excessively in the later books - the early ones are some of the most balls awesome space warfare.

(I can't decide if the political boredom or the stupid loving cat was worse)

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
i always picture quick as juicy j

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.

PlushCow posted:

Erikson's Malazan series is my favorite series ever, and after I finished I checked out Joe Abercrombie's work from goon recomendations and it worked out well - though be warned, like Gardens of the Moon, his first novel The Blade Itself is decent but isnt the best but the series gets much better later on, and my two favorites of his are after his original trilogy. I think he does well with giving his characters motivations like Erikson does, so you don't see the one-note good guy/bad guy like you can see in a lot of fantasy.

Start with The First Law trilogy (The Blade Itself, Before they are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings) then onto the somewhat stand-alones Best Served Cold, The Heroes, and Red Country.

Best Served Cold is great, like a greatest hits of supporting characters from the trilogy, and The Heroes is probably his best out of all of them.

Yeah Abercrombie is pretty much the only other author that I can stomach fantasy from anymore. I thought The Blade Itself was really good, it does an awesome job of breaking fantasy cliche and the wrap up at the end is incredible.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
poo poo I'm so bad at reading, for some reason I always thought Fiddler was the white one, maybe because he's supposed to have red hair? Guess we'll have to get malcolm x to play him.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I thought Fiddler was a white guy with red hair too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Isn't he Falari? And isn't that basically the description of a Falari?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Safety Factor posted:

Isn't he Falari? And isn't that basically the description of a Falari?

Yes and yes, Fiddler's a ginger. In my mind he's Simon Pegg, which I guess means Nick Frost plays Hedge.

coyo7e posted:

Only if we could get Mos Def to play Fiddler or Hedge.
Funny you say that, I always saw Mos Def as Quick Ben. But Lance Reddick may have just replaced him.

Somebody give me a good fan-casting for Whiskeyjack, because I always see him as Russell Crowe circa Gladiator even though I really don't want to.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Leospeare posted:

Somebody give me a good fan-casting for Whiskeyjack, because I always see him as Russell Crowe circa Gladiator even though I really don't want to.

How about Bruce Willis, maybe?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

You can't convince me that there's a better Kallor than Christopher Walken.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

You can't convince me that there's a better Kallor than Christopher Walken.

Cursing scene now unintentionally hilarious

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The scope and depth of Erikson's world is incredible and he's a master at plotting. His thematic ambition is incredible. That said, there are much better crafts(wo)men and character writers in fantasy, so there's plenty of room to explore writers with other strengths.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Leospeare posted:

Valhalla Rising Mads Mikkelsen with 2 eyes

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
He's more heavyset, but I always imagined Whiskeyjack looking like Brian Cox with his mournful hound dog expression and air of deflated dignity.

Play posted:

poo poo I'm so bad at reading, for some reason I always thought Fiddler was the white one, maybe because he's supposed to have red hair? Guess we'll have to get malcolm x to play him.
He was white. I just want mos def in there somewhere, and he'd be a great sapper.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 11, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Steven Merchant would be brilliant as Crump

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Are there any blue ladies out there to play Laseen?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Leospeare posted:

Sean Bean

:smugdog:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^ I like!

apophenium posted:

Are there any blue ladies out there to play Laseen?
Gigi Edgley and Virginia Hey.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 11, 2013

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Danny devito for kruppe

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Dalmuti posted:

Danny devito for kruppe

I like Ian McNeice (Baron Harkonnen from Dune, the town crier from Rome). Though he's maybe a bit too tall and skinny.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Leospeare posted:

I like Ian McNeice (Baron Harkonnen from Dune, the town crier from Rome). Though he's maybe a bit too tall and skinny.

look who's about to steal all those friggen pastries

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Leospeare posted:

Sean Bean. He even dies. It's perfect.

efb, should caught all the way up

e2: I feel like Christopher Lee would be a better Kallor. He is old as poo poo looking, just like Kallor, but incongruously capable.

e3: but Walken would make for an incredible Iskaral Pust.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 12, 2013

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Whoever plays Mrs. Padmore on Downton Abbey would make a fantastic Tattersail

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

uh zip zoom posted:

Whoever plays Mrs. Padmore on Downton Abbey would make a fantastic Tattersail

Way too old. Tattersail is older but, being a magic user, doesn't show it as much.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Queen Latifah is Tattersail

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Airbrushed magazine cover Paula Deen

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Bryan Cranston as Heboric.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How many books is The Crippled God split into? I've just reached book 3 but most of them are only 4. I also don't want to check wikipedia because it can cause massive spoilers, but do Karsa, Seren Pedac and whoever is still in Darujhistan appear or are their stories done for the main series?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Scott Bakula posted:

How many books is The Crippled God split into? I've just reached book 3 but most of them are only 4. I also don't want to check wikipedia because it can cause massive spoilers, but do Karsa, Seren Pedac and whoever is still in Darujhistan appear or are their stories done for the main series?

Karsa features in one short segment, we'll get more of him when Erikson is done with the Tiste Andii trilogy. Esselmont picks up some Darujistan stuff in Orb, Sceptre, Throne. Which while still being kinda bad is probably his best work. Esselmont really, really, really needs to stop it with both "Ohhh, I'm not gonna tell you who this mysterious character is..." and Deus Ex Machina out of loving nowhere.

Blood and Bone Kallor and then Osserc out of ??
OST Malachai, Orchid, the Tyrant, Humble Measure being good suddenly and then Caladan Brood comes in and just fixes stuff...

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

That's not bad, actually.

It also just occurred to me that Liam Neeson would make a fantastic Whiskeyjack. He has the perfect mix of thebgrizzled physical side, the serious time to get poo poo done side, and the my soldiers are being juvenile pranksters but I have a good sense of humor about it side.

Also: Rowan Atkinson as Bugg.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Habibi posted:

Also: Rowan Atkinson as Bugg.

Surely you mean Tony Robinson with Rowan Atkinson as Tehol

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
This might be the dumbest thing I have ever written on the Internet.... My copy of Forge of Darkness has Eriksons autograph in it. It honestly looks almost like it was printed on, but I can't imagine every single copy of Forge of Darkness says "To Irene: Grill Cover! Xxx SF" in it.

I bought this "new" from amazon and shipped from amazon so i have no idea wtf. Googling it, it legit looks like his autograph.

I guess my question is: does anyone else's say this?

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 15, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

lol: I was about to ask what the hell sort of bizarre note that is, but then I remembered were talking about the guy who creates Bugg and Tehol. And speaking of...

Scott Bakula posted:

Surely you mean Tony Robinson with Rowan Atkinson as Tehol
Nah, Tehol is supposed to be good looking and fairly well physically developed.

Hrmm...David Anders might work. I've seen him play a kooky bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

Spermy Smurf posted:

I can't imagine every single copy of Forge of Darkness says "To Irene: Grill Cover! Xxx SF" in it.

I think the G is actually a lowercase b, so the note says "brill cover". "Irene" could then be Irene Gallo, the art director at Tor Books. No idea why that particular book would end up at Amazon, though.