Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eddain
May 6, 2007
Blackheart is a major pain. He seems a lot tankier than the previous group bosses (since you get your participation reward at 5% HP instead of 10%) and he only sticks around for 4 rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
So far all this Spec OPs has done is made me question why Taskmaster isn't already a lockbox?

Edit: Holy poo poo got the Mimic Blade and the Scourging Gaze in one roll a piece.

Diabetic fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 14, 2013

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

It's also made me question why I can't gift isos yet.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Eddain posted:

Blackheart is a major pain. He seems a lot tankier than the previous group bosses (since you get your participation reward at 5% HP instead of 10%) and he only sticks around for 4 rounds.

He can also summon dudes who heal him, so in the end he left my fight with 100% health. Have fun fellers!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Okay, having played the new Spec Ops for a bit here are my thoughts about it.

1) Blackheart can be tough. It's important to learn what the different class of Blackhearts do (IE the Infiltrator or Blaster.) You can click on the fight, look at his tool tip to work out what he does and then back out and make changes to your team.
It's important to look at what he does because some of his abilities are very effective counters to a classes natural strength against him. Like his Bruiser Form pre-emptively counters and Blasters RANGED attacks. And most Blasters (Human Torch, Iron-Man) are all about Ranged attacks. However you could take Ms. Marvel or Blaster Thor as they have melee attacks and he's suddenly a lot less of a threat.
And crucially, unlike the Red Skull, Blackheart DOESN'T change his class mid fight. He will summon two demons that are strong against his weak class (so if you fight Infiltrator Blackheart, he will periodically summon two Bruiser demons.) So while you can plan accordingly, it's not as much of a pain as it was with the Red Skull.
Blackheart's other weakness is he has an AOE attack, he doesn't use it that much in the games I've fought. Most of the time he'd just use a single target attack, and it was one that could be protected and countered. My agent using the Sinister Scepter/ Blade of the Guardian combo was keeping BH on lock down fairly effectively.

2) The new heroes, Daimian Hellstrom and Satana. They are a call back to the Ghost Rider spec-ops weapons. They get better when they have certain DOT's on them. (So you don't want to pair them up with Rescue.) They look like they could be fun to play with. Also, read the Patch Notes on them. They each have a demon summon as their third move, but that demon does widely different thing depending on the number of DOT's the caster has. (Like one of Satana's summons is an attack that removes Protect, another is a heal.) And none of this is included in the tooltip but is in the patch notes.
To use them in PvP effectively you'd really have to memorize this stuff or have it printed out.

3) Yay Taskmaster (who is quite a nasty fight) and Venom are in the game! I'm anticipating that their inclusion here means they can be included as Lockbox heroes in the future.

4) Look at the new Demon set. It's like the Ghost Rider set, only instead of putting DOT's on your guys it puts Debuffs, that make the weapons do some very interesting things. (One is an Stealthy, AOE attack that removes Protect AND Counter from the enemey team. And when Buffed, it Generalizes the enemy team. NOICE!) This set looks like it could be fun to play with like the old Demon set was when you had 4/4. As an unintended Side Effect this set would make a team VERY vulnerable to Paragon Exploiters and Captain Britain.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thanks for the tips! I haven't had a chance to unlock the group boss yet, but that stuff is good to know. I guess that makes Mockingbird one of the best heroes to take to Blackheart fights.

I'd not be surprised if Taskmaster isn't the next lockbox hero.

Also

Friend: Who's Daniel Helstorm?
Me: Some demonic Aquaman.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 14, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Venom has an attack called "Along Came a Venom" :effort:

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Haven't gotten time to finish Mission 2 yet, is it Brock, Gargan or Flash Venom? (assuming not Flash, but who knows)

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The Bio on the wiki says it's Gargan.

On an unrelated note, fighting Scrapper demons outside of Spec Ops doesn't count for the first lockbox task.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Oh hey, looks like they updated Black Suit Spider-man with web exploitation. Unless he already had that.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Oh hey, looks like they updated Black Suit Spider-man with web exploitation. Unless he already had that.

He's had it for about a year, but now it's displayed.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Venom has an attack called "Along Came a Venom" :effort:

One of Hellstrom attacks summons a Succubus Demon.
Depending on the number of debuffs you have, it does a different attack with a different name.
It can either be "Amorous Congress" "La Petit Mort" or "Beast With Two Backs."

:golfclap:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Once you finish the research you can just buy them.

I went to buy some to finish off one of the lockbox task, they cost 2 gold apiece. :stare:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hellstrom seems like he's going to be a pretty good character in PVP.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Blackheart is one mean son of a bitch. I fought him four times and only won twice so far. This is actually kind of cool, as Red Skull was a boring pushover by comparison, but you still only get one lockbox as a reward? Not cool.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Fred is on posted:

Blackheart is one mean son of a bitch. I fought him four times and only won twice so far. This is actually kind of cool, as Red Skull was a boring pushover by comparison, but you still only get one lockbox as a reward? Not cool.

The infiltrator version will buff his stats on follow up and counters.

Not cool, man.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Does the pc clock glitch still work to respawn blackheart?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I think they patched it out.

Just opened my second set of lockboxes, got a duplicate of my only cover. Here we go again!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Apparently the computer can really kill using the staff, as since I've equipped it I've gained nearly 100 points in rating when not playing.

Has anyone come up with good choices to fight Blackheart? Ranges bruisers and melee blasters are pretty hard to find, and even when i can choose someone, it is a low damage attack.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 15, 2013

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Blackheart is pretty loving ridiculous. The blaster version has a non-removable passive that prevents free turns making Tacs useless against him. He also summons those stupid demon chicks that turn into giant eyeballs and 1 shot your entire team. And if you do manage to beat him? One stupid loving lockbox.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Blackheart is pretty loving ridiculous. The blaster version has a non-removable passive that prevents free turns making Tacs useless against him. He also summons those stupid demon chicks that turn into giant eyeballs and 1 shot your entire team. And if you do manage to beat him? One stupid loving lockbox.

I used angolob on those demons and it didn't remove the buff. So, uh, yeah don't make that mistake I did.

I don't even try to match up classes anymore with Blackheart. I just bring along people who can stack DoT on him and who won't be opposite classes of who he summons. Bleed teams are pretty effective on him, at least. Maybe I should try Black Knight one time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Syrinxx posted:

The Tact one isn't too bad, just reduced damage from counter attacks. But all this is compounded he summons help really quickly, and can soak up damage like mad.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

You can get more than 1 lockbox from Blackheart. I've received 3 and 5 before. And ignore counter-classes. Wolverine is probably the best character for him. Get 3 bleeds on him and Wolverine can cause so much damage.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

commish posted:

You can get more than 1 lockbox from Blackheart. I've received 3 and 5 before. And ignore counter-classes. Wolverine is probably the best character for him. Get 3 bleeds on him and Wolverine can cause so much damage.

Yea, thats exactly what I'm doing now. I'm using characters that aren't affected by his class ability rather than just the counter classes.

Holy crap, did all of you get blackhearts tonight?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I just went up against Scrapper Blackheart with P5 Cyclops and Omega Sentinel. Cyclops gives everyone Combat Expertise, Omega protects from one of Blackheart's attacks, counters with Penetrator Darts and wipes out both his summoned flunkies. I took him from 79 down to 27 percent or so, and everyone still had full health.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I am already sick of Blackheart. Of course, that'll happen when the game throws twenty group boss fights at you in one day.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!
I was in Adamantium last night with a 1671 Rating. I had a few of my lower levels in for the 100 XP you get from your first five battles and forgot to switch them out before going to bed.

Needless to say, I went down -161 over night and rolling with Vibranium again, my final placement on every tournament so far.

At least I did it to myself this time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

How long does the staff take to research? Just got all the stuff this morning but I have about 20 hours left on the trident

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Opopanax posted:

How long does the staff take to research? Just got all the stuff this morning but I have about 20 hours left on the trident

8 hours

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Probably not worth canceling the trident and wasting my ISOs for 40 minutes then. Oh well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If its like the grief, you'll be able to research it even after pvp is over as long as you have the mats.

Man it really pairs with the sinister scepter well.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If they add Taksmaster, I hope he can be teamed with Deadpool for an Agency X bonus.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So newbie question here, I joined the Goon's AA group on Facebook, but I don't understand how to use the Macro. I found the file and downloaded it, but I don't know how to make it work.
There's a readme file, but that links to a web page that doesn't do anything. What do I do?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

The Question IRL posted:

So newbie question here, I joined the Goon's AA group on Facebook, but I don't understand how to use the Macro. I found the file and downloaded it, but I don't know how to make it work.
There's a readme file, but that links to a web page that doesn't do anything. What do I do?

The program seems pretty self-explanatory I thought.

I've found that it runs best for some reason if the browser window is maximised.

Basically on the "configure" screen you put your mouse on the first jet plane, hit F2 and it sets the coordinates. Then hit F3 to go to jet plane 2, mouse over that and hit F2. Continue on down until you've told the macro where all the various buttons are.

On the build screen you set how many hero screens you have and then which hero slots the game should pick. Personally I've just put in "Page 1 Slot 1" 8 times, so it just picks whichever hero is first.

On the play screen you just have to make sure that it is set to 20 minutes and then hit play to see if it works properly. You should make sure that you've already chosen the 20 minute mission for the deploy and also clicked "dont show this again" to any message about heroes needing training because that will stall it otherwise.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

twistedmentat posted:

If its like the grief, you'll be able to research it even after pvp is over as long as you have the mats.

Man it really pairs with the sinister scepter well.

Maybe I have the wrong set up or I'm missing something but I am not impressed by it.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Kali11324 posted:

Maybe I have the wrong set up or I'm missing something but I am not impressed by it.

I don't think much of it either, although I do recognize its power on offense if you use while phased. I don't use phase much though.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

You can also get Firefox and use the leethax extension, it'll run in the background, and you can use it for ten minute missions if you want to earn XP over silver.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I've finally got a decent enough team that I might be able to sneak into adamantium, but by my math I'd need about 15 more wins, and of course each loss adds another win I need. Who the hell has the patience and/or energy to get that far?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Opopanax posted:

I've finally got a decent enough team that I might be able to sneak into adamantium, but by my math I'd need about 15 more wins, and of course each loss adds another win I need. Who the hell has the patience and/or energy to get that far?
Nobody. That level of "play" is all cheaters and spendlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us