Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I always pictured Tehol as Simon Pegg in my head while reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
A friend suggested William H Macy for Bugg. Bloody good casting sayeth I.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Tau Wedel posted:

I think the G is actually a lowercase b, so the note says "brill cover". "Irene" could then be Irene Gallo, the art director at Tor Books. No idea why that particular book would end up at Amazon, though.

That makes a lot of sense. Much more than what I thought.

I sent her a facebook message asking if the book was hers. Someone mind twittering her? I dont have an account.

https://twitter.com/IreneGallo

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

rejutka posted:

A friend suggested William H Macy for Bugg. Bloody good casting sayeth I.
I would :swoon: to see William H Macy stirring up a nice shoe leather and garbage stew, gotta say.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

How about Sharlto Copley as Tehol?
I know someone mentioned Brian Cox as Whiskeyjack but I think he would make a better Dujek, maybe Jeff Bridges as Whiskeyjack or Fiddler?

Either way I like this game. It lets me pretend that maybe someday the only book series that I've ever really wanted to see as a movie might be made into one.

Perpetual Notion fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 15, 2013

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Dan Stevens (Matthew Crawley on Downton Abbey) for Ganoes Paran

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

I would be interested in seeing who people think should play Karsa

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Dalmuti posted:

Dan Stevens (Matthew Crawley on Downton Abbey) for Ganoes Paran

You're in my head! That's who I see in that role as well.

I like Benedict Cumberbatch for Tehol. I know, he's a nerd fetish object now, but I've though this since early Sherlock days.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I want Bill Cobbs for Iskaral Pust.

Never gonna happen. :(

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Perpetual Notion posted:

Manu Bennett :allears:

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Bill Cosby for Barathol Mekhar

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Perpetual Notion posted:

All Teblor, Toblakai, Jaghut, Jhag and Trell should be played by Ron Perlman in a variety of different costumes, skin colours and fake teeth/tusks.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
For stormy they can just get the guy who plays Tormund Giantsbane on Game of Thrones

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Kalam - Denzel Washingtn in one of his darker movies, and maybe before he got quite so old as he is now. Picture the look on his face from say Man on Fire.

Whiskeyjack - Jeff Bridges (seems like I picture him a bit older than some do, given the timing from the war where Laseen took over), another idea would be Javier Bardem. The Sean Bean suggestion sort of works but he's got a little too finely chiseled features in my mind.

Karsa - I suspect you'll all hate this but I immediately thought of The Rock, or whatever his real name is. He's got the physicality for it and doesnt have to speak all that much.

Iskaral Pust - Steve Buscemi; his sunken eyes and general emaciation would compliment the character and they could use makeup to age him a bit. He's also done crazy before in Con Air (he was the pedo)

Who do people think would play Anomander Rake? Ganoes Paran? The former's got to have a very specific look, and I struggled a bit to think of someone that's got the size, features, and actual capability to carry the character.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 16, 2013

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

The rock is a bit too well groomed for Karsa I think. Yea he has the build, but since Karsa is supposed to be more or less a giant the actors individual height shouldn't matter as its going to be manipulated by special effects.

Truth be told there's quite a few major(ish) roles that there really aren't any current big name actors that fit them very well. A movie(s) based on this book series could be a good way to get some recognition for some not so big name actors if they tried for one of the major roles and just nailed it completely.

Seconding Perlman for (jaghut) Hood specifically.

Perpetual Notion fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 16, 2013

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
The guy who played Xerxes in 300 could be rake, lol

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
I think Daliph Singh would make a good Karsa

He's loving huge, but in that slightly abnormal way Richard Kiel is huge where his face doesn't look quite right.

I'm thinking of making some Malazan fanart but I don't know were to start. So many awesome moments. I might make something with Fiddler, as there doesn't seem to be much of him out there for how major a character he is. I also like Duiker. Or Kruppe, or Tehol and Bugg. Maybe Iskaral or Tool, Toc, Hedge, Coltaine, Brood, Cotillion. I can't decide, it might take awhile to finish, but if you guys are yearning to see any particular moment or character depicted I'm open to suggestions.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Perpetual Notion posted:

The rock is a bit too well groomed for Karsa I think. Yea he has the build, but since Karsa is supposed to be more or less a giant the actors individual height shouldn't matter as its going to be manipulated by special effects.

Truth be told there's quite a few major(ish) roles that there really aren't any current big name actors that fit them very well. A movie(s) based on this book series could be a good way to get some recognition for some not so big name actors if they tried for one of the major roles and just nailed it completely.

Seconding Perlman for (jaghut) Hood specifically.

Actually, I always pictured Karsa as being rather statuesque in appearance. And as for size, you can play tricks with a camera but getting 'big fucken dude' proportions right is harder. I pictured taking Dwayne Johnson and then scaling him up, to get the look, and the realistic proportions. Agree on many of the characters being very hard to cast. Who would be Tool?

Vvvv The guy below is an interesting choice for Karsa, but he's also got to be able to deliver a line. DJ is a poo poo actor in almost every way that counts but he does have a certain intense look.

Pokeylope posted:

I think Daliph Singh would make a good Karsa

He's loving huge, but in that slightly abnormal way Richard Kiel is huge where his face doesn't look quite right.

I'm thinking of making some Malazan fanart but I don't know were to start. So many awesome moments. I might make something with Fiddler, as there doesn't seem to be much of him out there for how major a character he is. I also like Duiker. Or Kruppe, or Tehol and Bugg. Maybe Iskaral or Tool, Toc, Hedge, Coltaine, Brood, Cotillion. I can't decide, it might take awhile to finish, but if you guys are yearning to see any particular moment or character depicted I'm open to suggestions.

I'm sure it's been done, but Tehol on the roof always was a strong image for me. Maybe with Bugg boiling a boot in the background and the city on fire in the background. Duiker is awesome too - a picture of the final road in seven cities could be pretty cool.

A picture of Fid playing that song in Malaz City with the old trainer (am i remembering that right?) would also be cool.

E: just looked at a bunch if art for Rake. A lot of it seems to really misunderstand the character. Lots of pictures of him angry, or with crazy spiky armor... I always thought of him as this terrible tragic character. He should have sorrow in his eyes (hard, I know), and when he's killing something, it's in this casually graceful way, not 'graaahhhhh!!!1!1!' as a lot of the stuff out there seems to do.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 17, 2013

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Kalenn Istarion posted:

E: just looked at a bunch if art for Rake. A lot of it seems to really misunderstand the character. Lots of pictures of him angry, or with crazy spiky armor... I always thought of him as this terrible tragic character. He should have sorrow in his eyes (hard, I know), and when he's killing something, it's in this casually graceful way, not 'graaahhhhh!!!1!1!' as a lot of the stuff out there seems to do.

I agree, with this. To me Rake always came across as one of the few truly good men in these books. Yes, he is an incredible badass, but he does almost everything he does because he sees it as something he has to do, not something he wants to. More like the type of character who is willing to sacrifice of himself and takes the more difficult path to do what's right, so others don't have to. The scene with Whiskeyjack killing the mothers of the dead seed is a good example of this. Whiskeyjack does it to spare them from the eternal torment of Rakes sword and Rake wishes he hadn't, not so much because he's cruel and wants them to suffer, but more because he is already viewed by many as a monster and wants to spare Whiskeyjack that.

If anything I think he should be portrayed as very solemn and modest/practical.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Michael Kenneth Williams as Kalam?

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I would just love to see the events that take place in Darujhistan at night. That would be incredibly cinematic with all the blue flames glowing everywhere.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Robot Danger posted:

I would just love to see the events that take place in Darujhistan at night. That would be incredibly cinematic with all the blue flames glowing everywhere.

Especially the scene with Kruppe, and Pust.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kalenn Istarion posted:

A certain subset of readers (people who love and who hate the book, it seems) seem to immediately imagine Rake as Sephiroth. I've seen more than a few posts of people who drop the novel like a hot stone as soon as they decide that he's some kind of weird anime character. I guess the Tiste's hair is always white? I never really recall that when I envision them. I just think of them being different shades of black/grey skin, depending on which race they are, like the colors of rocks.

Someone with maturity and gravitas would play him well, maybe Hugo Weaving. I don't want him to be a pretty boy legolas, I want the lines in his face to have been etched in by millenia of responsibility for an entire dying race. Maybe make Sean Bean wear a ridiculous wig. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 17, 2013

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

coyo7e posted:

A certain subset of readers (people who love and who hate the book, it seems) seem to immediately imagine Rake as Sephiroth. I've seen more than a few posts of people who drop the novel like a hot stone as soon as they decide that he's some kind of weird anime character. I guess the Tiste's hair is always white? I never really recall that when I envision them. I just think of them being different shades of black/grey skin, depending on which race they are, like the colors of rocks.

Someone with maturity and gravitas would play him well, maybe Hugo Weaving. I don't want him to be a pretty boy legolas, I want the lines in his face to have been etched in by millenia of responsibility for an entire dying race. Maybe make Sean Bean wear a ridiculous wig. ;)

Hugo Weaving has the character for it but I imagine him looking pretty ridiculous with his face painted black like ironmanRDJ in Tropic Thunder.

Other ideas:
Jamie Foxx
Idris Elba (sans beard)
This guy: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0502015/

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Given that Michael Hogan conveys more emotion and grief with just one eye as Saul Tigh in Battlestar Galactica than 100 actors combined. I think that it's time to break out the black face...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Hugo Weaving has the character for it but I imagine him looking pretty ridiculous with his face painted black like ironmanRDJ in Tropic Thunder.
The tiste are not african-black. They are the color-of-stones-black. Like drow in Forgotten Realms.

fakeedit: looks like they have black or silver hair. And their eyes commonly change color. http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Tiste_Andii

Webman
Jun 4, 2008
Malazan: Book of the oddly placed apostrophes

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

coyo7e posted:

The tiste are not african-black. They are the color-of-stones-black. Like drow in Forgotten Realms.

fakeedit: looks like they have black or silver hair. And their eyes commonly change color. http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Tiste_Andii

I know, but making an "african-black" dude obsidian black rather than a pasty white guy might look better / be more believable.

alsofakeedit: Actually, I dunno, if amateur cosplayers can make it work then Hollywood can probably get by. Note, had to use 'drow' references as there are unsurprisingly not a lot of Anomander Rake cosplayers out there.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Webman posted:

Malazan: Book of the oddly placed apostrophes

To be fair, that trope is so old that Terry Pratchett was lampooning it in the very first Discworld book.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I know, but making an "african-black" dude obsidian black rather than a pasty white guy might look better / be more believable.

Why? It's not like the Tiste are described as having African features. If anything, it's the opposite and he should be played by an Asian guy painted black.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
I'm doing my second reread just by reading the reread. It's quite nice actually.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Habibi posted:

Why? It's not like the Tiste are described as having African features. If anything, it's the opposite and he should be played by an Asian guy painted black.

Hence my fake edit, which resulted from me looking at it more closely.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I finally finished the series and now I want a good comprehensive wiki to tell me everything I missed. Any suggestions? Googling 'malazan wiki' brings up some but they seem pretty light on details.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

I finally finished the series and now I want a good comprehensive wiki to tell me everything I missed. Any suggestions? Googling 'malazan wiki' brings up some but they seem pretty light on details.

Sorry mate, you'll be waiting for quite some time. Erikson has been meaning to make a Malazan Encyclopedia for quite some time now, but has said in interviews that he'll be doing that when he's done writing the Karsa books.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
OK, in the meantime someone please answer the most pressing question of the whole entire series:

What's up with Pust's donkey? I assume it's some elder god or demon in disguise but I don't think it was ever explicitly explained. Of course, very little in the whole drat series is explained.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Canuckistan posted:

What's up with Pust's donkey? I assume it's some elder god or demon in disguise but I don't think it was ever explicitly explained. Of course, very little in the whole drat series is explained.
Yeah, you're pretty much right. Didn't it kick over someone ludicrously powerful at one point, even?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Didn't it turn out that it was Apsalar's father? I swear I remember reading that but can't remember what book it was from.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

What's up with Pust's donkey? I assume it's some elder god or demon in disguise but I don't think it was ever explicitly explained.

Same question, but for Kruppe's mule.

Probably it's just another joke about the similarity of these... er, loquacious... characters.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Didn't it turn out that it was Apsalar's father? I swear I remember reading that but can't remember what book it was from.

I think this was true for parts of deadhouse gates. My guess has always been that post-rellock kicking the bucket, the mule is mostly shadowthrone. Would explain him bein more ethereal throughout the rest of the series. Being about that mule life is rough on an ascendant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
I finished Blood and Bone last night, and I'm very impressed by it overall - definitely now vies with Orb Sceptre Throne for me as the best ICE book. In particular, I thought the way HImatan was written and the effects it had on people in it were extremely atmospheric, and quite liked the fact that pretty much every element of the inevitable end-of-book metaphysical cluster-gently caress was actually foreshadowed and built up earlier on, mostly in a character driven fashion, which gave a much greater feeling of investment than some of the other books.