Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

I like the idea that Brick Frog got in the club, but St Cloud wasn't cool enough to get in.

You just can't bribe your way past some bouncers. Especially in pennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

BexGu posted:

Has any one made a list of all the Villains that where shown? I really want to remember the name of the that female villain in the flower get up.

Thesperina or something? The sort of cougar-esque one that was hitting on Shore Leave, right? Maybe it's because I was tired, but I didn't quite catch the pun behind her name.

Speaking of villains who need more screentime; wasn't there rumors back before this season aired of a spin-off? For Sphinx or something? Whatever happened with that?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I loved how the disguised Ghost Robot was fascinated by his fingers/thumb, hilarious. GR is awesome.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

BexGu posted:

Has any one made a list of all the Villains that where shown? I really want to remember the name of the that female villain in the flower get up.

You masturbate enough.

Data Graham posted:

The "bouncer not buying the ventriloquist gag for a second but playing along anyway" thing was pretty great, but it kinda felt like a rehash of the "smuggling Bigfoot and Steve Summers past the MPs" bit.

How on earth do you figure that?

SevenSixTwoX39
Jun 28, 2009

Capitalism has triumphed all over the world, but this triumph is only the prelude to the triumph of labour over capital.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Thesperina or something? The sort of cougar-esque one that was hitting on Shore Leave, right? Maybe it's because I was tired, but I didn't quite catch the pun behind her name.

Speaking of villains who need more screentime; wasn't there rumors back before this season aired of a spin-off? For Sphinx or something? Whatever happened with that?

I think Doc and Jackson have said making the show takes up so much of their time they wouldn't be able to do any spin-offs simultaneously if they wanted to.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

This is the first episode where I really noticed how many characters were being voiced by the guys. Thanks a lot, VB thread :argh:

;)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Honestly John Hodgeman and Dana Snyder in the last couple episodes are way more noticeable to me than "21 talking like a robot."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Frostwerks posted:

How on earth do you figure that?

Because the joke was the same. First you think the guy was totally fooled, then it turns out he picked up every little detail at the same level the audience did, and that's what's funny. "That was a shaved Bigfoot and Steve Summers in a wig. Made out of shaved Bigfoot."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

qirex posted:

Honestly John Hodgeman and Dana Snyder in the last couple episodes are way more noticeable to me than "21 talking like a robot."

Totally fair point, although for me Dana Snyder is more "The Alchemist" for me now than he is Master Shake. Haven't watched ATHF in ages and I much prefer Al's character anyway (who wouldn't??).

As for Hodgeman I didn't even know who it was before reading it here but then I don't really watch the Daily show much anymore or whatever he's on. I thought it was a great voice for that character though, poor tech guy.

Now with Futurama shutting down again perhaps they could snag a couple of those guys for Season 6 work! (Not that they couldn't have before I suppose, VO people can do a bunch of shows concurrently with no issues). I'd love to see hear Maurice LaMarche, Tress MacNeill (more femle characters!) Billy West, Phil LeMarr or John DiMaggio on VB.

priznat fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 15, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Data Graham posted:

Because the joke was the same. First you think the guy was totally fooled, then it turns out he picked up every little detail at the same level the audience did, and that's what's funny. "That was a shaved Bigfoot and Steve Summers in a wig. Made out of shaved Bigfoot."

I think they're allowed variations on a joke after nine years. :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Data Graham posted:

Would you call the experience jarring?

If so I'm sorry you were impacted by a joke repeated 9 years later.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

priznat posted:

Totally fair point, although for me Dana Snyder is more "The Alchemist" for me now than he is Master Shake. Haven't watched ATHF in ages and I much prefer Al's character anyway (who wouldn't??).
I mean how Snyder was both one of the "agents" and the Alchemist in the same episode and how Hodgemen's voice last night was exactly the same as when he was a Hale brother.

There's people who "do voices" like Billy West or Hank Azaria and there's people who "do their voice" like Warburton or Dana Snyder. Over-using the latter, especially in a single episode, is distracting to me

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

qirex posted:

Wasn't John Hodgeman already one of the Hardy boys lookalikes?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

priznat posted:

Tress MacNeill (more femle characters!)

You want more variety in women's voices, and chose Tress MacNeille as your "go to woman VO?"

She has two voices...Tress MacNeille and..."old lady" Tress MacNeille.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
I also hope/think Vendata is Major Tom.

Yes the skeleton from 'Ghost Pirates...' was Major Tom, but what if Jonas just removed his organs (and possibly face) and made a cyborg from them?

I know there's been some fan-trolling in regards revelations but I just can't see how Vendata fits thematically as Monarch's dad...the appearance is too throwaway even from the guys who gave us all the O.R.B. stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

You want more variety in women's voices, and chose Tress MacNeille as your "go to woman VO?"

Hah, she doesn't have to do dozens of characters on the show or anything, just adding one regular female character would be alright I suppose. Bad example of dynamic character range though. LaMarche, West and LeMarr would be the best for that. (Most of DiMaggio's stuff sounds pretty similar too).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Naw, she has alot more than that. Like a whole lot more than that. It's just she is in pretty much everything do she's bound to repeat but she has huge range and it's weird to me that people treat her like she's Jon Benjamin or something (not that Jon Benjamin isn't awesome).

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

No, when it comes to women, I think he meant that he would like the show to be less of a sausage-fest. Since Triana basically disappeared, there has been only female character appearing for more than one episode a season, Dr. Girlfriend, and that's probably because she has a gimmick voice. The authors themselves have said that they had Tatjana be mute in all her appearances because they had ideas for her and wanted a 'commited' voice actress because they started using her. That show has a problem in voice actors in general, though. Two of the main characters are now voiced by the same guy, and another seems to have had only a few lines this season. Teen angst and isolation is convenient to have a character say as little as possible.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I remember talk of a full-length movie between season 5 and season 6, but Publick said in an interview that those plans were scrapped in favor of focusing on season 6.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
H Jon Benjamin apparently has range and can do different voices. He apparently did a read for something (Archer?) with a British accent and the producers were just yeah use your normal voice.

The funny thing is that it works

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dana Snyder also has a wide range, but after trying a bunch of different voices for Al, doc and Jackson just said "use a gay master shake" and here we are.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I heard Vespertina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespertine_

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

H Jon Benjamin apparently has range and can do different voices. He apparently did a read for something (Archer?) with a British accent and the producers were just yeah use your normal voice.

The funny thing is that it works

He literally has the funniest voice in the world. Why change anything?

Plus it works. I mean, I can't take the Master as anything else but magical Archer due to his personality but he also sells Bob from Bob's Burgers as a really good straight man.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Jon Benjamin mainly shows his vocal range on Home Movies, where 90% of the voices are either him or Brendan Small. He still doesn't really have alot of range.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Titmouse stuff has pretty bad customer service. I've had two t-shirts sent now to my old address, despite changing it both on the website and emailing customer service to confirm that the address has been changed. I even contacted them again last week after they sent the package to the old address to confirm that they had changed it. But alas, today I get another shipping confirmation to my former house. It's getting pretty annoying.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Has anyone tried comparing Vendata's face to the photo of the Monarch's father with Jonas Sr. yet? I'm looking at them but I can't really tell, maybe someone here is better at that sort of thing... also who knows how disfigured he might have been from the crash.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I got my shipping notice for my next shirt although it seems that my Destiny shirt still hasn't shipped yet. :psyduck:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

You know if Vendata is the Monarchs dad and Vendatas project was cancelled due to attacking Rusty... maybe the reason the Monarch hates Rusty is that he just picked it up from his dad?

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

You know if Vendata is the Monarchs dad and Vendatas project was cancelled due to attacking Rusty... maybe the reason the Monarch hates Rusty is that he just picked it up from his dad?

Every time I see this subject maundered about, I just shake my head. The Monarch has already told us why he hates Rusty.

Rusty--- is a dick.

Period. That's enough. Mystery over.

pharmer
Jul 11, 2013
Been living under a rock and didn't realize Venture Brothers was back. Have they ever said if Dermot is Brock's kid?

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Android Blues posted:

There's a fantastic bit where the end of this where they start arguing about cartoon nudity and their voices just slip halfway into Pete White and Billy as they get more heated.
I know this is from like 12 pages ago, but that soundcloud is awesome. I also loved how every time they bitched about inane fan posting Doc dropped like 80% into Dermott's voice.

joethesurly
Mar 10, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Where was best villain?

I would not be surprised at all if that turns out to be Rusty's good friend Teddy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

pharmer posted:

Been living under a rock and didn't realize Venture Brothers was back. Have they ever said if Dermot is Brock's kid?

We found out last season he is Rusty's.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

pharmer posted:

You could say it's come up. Also, you've been under that rock a lot longer than you think.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pharmer posted:

Lucky guy, you've got nearly 2 seasons of new episodes to watch.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Republicanus posted:

Every time I see this subject maundered about, I just shake my head. The Monarch has already told us why he hates Rusty.

Rusty--- is a dick.

Even the Monarch is having his doubts with that picture, why can't the fandom?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Republicanus posted:

Rusty--- is a dick.

I thought it was the other way around.

The Monarch gets a deep, very personal joy from being an absolute dick to Dr. Venture.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Monarch has to put effort into being a dick to Dr. Venture, whereas Dr Venture (in The Monarch's mind) just is a dick without even having to do anything. :haw:

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

quote:

Prototype: MRP-7 (Dienamonster), and Prototype MRP-12 (The Slaughter Engine.)
You just know somewhere there's a beat up Moleskine with hundreds of punny portmanteaus and common phrases that they kick around for heroes and villains. It's gotta be a fun creative process. I can see them randomly texting each other with just RADICAL LEFT or TIGERRIFIC.

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat
Anyone doubting that Vendata is the Monarch's dad, look at his goddamn teeth. They have the same dorky overbite.

I'm completely ready to be wrong on this but it seems pretty solid with him mentioning the crash and his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

How is a butterfly supposed to come out of a robot??

e: Maybe Vendata is made from the parts of all of Venture's dead bodyguards and friends.