Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

xzzy posted:

Sealed boxes definitely improve resale, and it goes up as the set ages.

But then you don't get to play with all those lovely bricks. :ohdear:

Oh, no, to clarify I've already built my sets (just for display) but I kept the boxes because I had a spare room I could throw them in and not worry about.

DrChud posted:

On a side note, it got me thinking. What are some sets you all want but are like hell no at full price, but when that hits clearance it's on like Donkey Kong? For me I know it's the Ninja Turtles Van.

I've always wanted the Batmobile and Two Face Chase (6864) but it's over AUD100 for two smallish vehicles and a playset and I can never justify paying that price. If I ever found it for AUD60 or less I'd be all over it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

cyberia posted:

Quick question: I'm moving house in a week or two and have a giant pile of Lego boxes from the sets I've bought over the last two years. Is there any compelling reason to keep the boxes (ie. resale value of the set)?

The only two sets I have that are somewhat collectible are 4954 - Model Town House and the VW Campervan. All the rest are either recent Creator houses, Friends sets or City sets.

I'm currently leaning towards just keeping the boxes for 4954 and the VW but if it'll affect the potential resale of my other sets I can probably find room for the other boxes, too.

Having the box will generally get you a bit of a premium when it comes to resale, but it's probably not much when it comes to current sets. Only unopened, sealed boxes will boost value significantly (since they're being traded as investments/collectibles). A 25-year-old set might be worth $10 more if you've got the box in decent condition, but I can't imagine anyone paying extra to get Oliva's House with an opened box.

I've decided to not keep any of my boxes. I recycle them all except the older ones I have, and I'm looking to get rid of those as soon as I'm able (I'm hesitant to just recycle old boxes; I think there's a Lego reseller in Olympia that might take them).

DrChud, I'm game for almost anything if it's deeply discounted, but right now it's largely Chima and Superhero sets that I'll only bother with when there's BOGO or clearance. I just saw the big 4-headed Ninjago Dragon at 50% off at Fred Meyer, and I'd pick a couple up if I didn't already have two.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This guy kinda rules

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robiwan_kenobi/with/7919550530/

edit: Bionicle loving owns and fits perfectly alongside normal Legos. Look at this poo poo. This is PERFECT. Good lord. I even just noticed he uses one of the ancient giant Lego cogs from like 30-40 years ago. So good.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 11, 2013

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Always be mekkin'

Blackwood Rangers - Model S1 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Blackwood Rangers - Model S2 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Blackwood Rangers - Model S3 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Blackwood Rangers - Model S4 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Love the color scheme.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Those are some lovely mechs, don't burn yourself out!(I did that with spaceships once)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ugh, I just went to the Tacoma toys r us, and they've got a pile of new sets.
The ghost ship from LotR, the big blue galaxy squad set, the friends dolphin cruise ship (and high school, and a bakery; there are now two more male minidolls!), the new Chima sets, including mecha gorilla...
I restrained myself and only got the gorilla, which was a reasonable $50.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blackwood Rangers - Model R1 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

I love this. The panel on the rockets is really cool.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Holy poo poo I just realized you're using the forestmen Castle colour scheme!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

This year's Winter Village set!

Good pricing, a whole bunch of minifigs, and a nice 'gently caress you' to the secondary market by reintroducing dark blue arches that go for $10+ on bricklink (thanks to Cafe Corner). The Lego designer in the video even says that they did it because of people rebuilding old Modular sets.

I assembled the Gorzan's Gorilla Striker today. I really like all the azure blue. Nice to see that coming to non-Friends sets.
I'm not thrilled with the mouth; it's only a single click-hinge and for some reason it likes to torque so it's slanted when it's closed. The mouth hides 6 flick-fire missiles (triggered with 4 push rods in the back). The arms are geared so a knob on the back swings them both, but it also means you can't lock them into position. The ankles have almost no front-back range of motion, but good side-to-side. The hips are standard ball click joints. Ankle, elbow, and wrist are all ball joints, but the hand itself is a piece I'm unfamiliar with, with an integrated ball joint receptacle. I think it might be from Hero Factory or one of the others of that type.

It's pretty solidly built, although the arm-swinging knob will come out very easily (secured only with a single gear, no bushings or anything). The articulation means no real dynamic poses, but they clearly decided the GORZAN SMASH play feature was key.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Ehh I can't get that excited over that Winter Village. A carousel and some stands just doesn't stand out for me.

If they really want to gently caress over the secondary market, how about re-releasing the Green Grocer and Cafe Corner :argh: I'd buy those before buying the movie theater :smith:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Pyroclastic posted:

I assembled the Gorzan's Gorilla Striker today. I really like all the azure blue. Nice to see that coming to non-Friends sets.
I'm not thrilled with the mouth; it's only a single click-hinge and for some reason it likes to torque so it's slanted when it's closed. The mouth hides 6 flick-fire missiles (triggered with 4 push rods in the back). The arms are geared so a knob on the back swings them both, but it also means you can't lock them into position. The ankles have almost no front-back range of motion, but good side-to-side. The hips are standard ball click joints. Ankle, elbow, and wrist are all ball joints, but the hand itself is a piece I'm unfamiliar with, with an integrated ball joint receptacle. I think it might be from Hero Factory or one of the others of that type.

It's pretty solidly built, although the arm-swinging knob will come out very easily (secured only with a single gear, no bushings or anything). The articulation means no real dynamic poses, but they clearly decided the GORZAN SMASH play feature was key.

Where the hell is this thing? I am dying to build a robot gorilla, but I haven't seen it anywhere but eBay and it's 2x MSRP.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Karnegal posted:

Where the hell is this thing? I am dying to build a robot gorilla, but I haven't seen it anywhere but eBay and it's 2x MSRP.

Like I said a couple posts ago, I got it at the TRU in Tacoma, WA. It was a very recent stock refresh; half of the new sets didn't even have price tags on the shelf. They've always had a good selection, too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

QuarkMartial posted:

I love this. The panel on the rockets is really cool.

Thanks. Can't take credit for it though. I reverse-engineered it wholesale from another guy on flickr, if you click through you can see his design.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized you're using the forestmen Castle colour scheme!

Am I? Good luck holding out in a siege, I guess :q:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

double post but oh well

Blackwood Rangers - Model S5 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

fuckin' concrete saws in this version of LDD!

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 15, 2013

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I'm thinking about getting some power function stuff for my technic creations. Are there any things to stay away from, or should I be good with a few of each type of motor and the rechargeable power pack? I had power function stuff when I was a kid, but replacing all 6 AA batteries in the power pack always sucked, and I try to stay away from stuff that uses disposable batteries anyway.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

2009 Winter Village Toy Shop 59.99
2010 Winter Village Bakery 54.99
2011 Winter Village Post Office 69.99
2012 Winter Village Cottage 99.99
2013 Winter Village Market 99.99

Wish they had stayed on the reasonable side :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

djfooboo posted:

Yeah, that pricing has gone cray cray. Especially since the new set really doesn't look all that substantial to be honest.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

This appears to be wielding some sort of flamethrower, but I can't help but see it as a robot-sized version of the glowing orange chainsaw from Ice Planet.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Got the Uruk Hai army set for less than £14 in Asda today, here's hoping other similar sets get put on clearance soon too!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gabriel Pope posted:

This appears to be wielding some sort of flamethrower, but I can't help but see it as a robot-sized version of the glowing orange chainsaw from Ice Planet.

You're right on both counts, actually. It's modeled as a flamethrower, but it is in fact some sort of sword blade.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

aw yisssssssssss

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just remembered I have one of the pneumatic Technic sets (the front end loader) but I could only build the alternate model because somehow when I measured and cut the tubing it got to where making the little pneumatic "structure" for the front end loader was a pain in the rear end.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Awesome.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ice Planet, Best Planet. :rock:

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

djfooboo posted:

Keep in mind the parts count has gone up too, even if it is more 1x1 pieces:

2009 Winter Village Toy Shop 59.99 - 782 Parts, 7 Minifigs
2010 Winter Village Bakery 54.99 - 659 Parts, 7 Minifigs
2011 Winter Village Post Office 69.99 - 793 Parts, 7 Minifigs
2012 Winter Village Cottage 99.99 - 1,457 Parts, 8 Minifigs
2013 Winter Village Market 99.99 - 1,261 pieces, 9 Minifigs

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I like the carousel, it goes round when you turn the handle

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Somebody in a D&D thread in Trad Games said that there were going to be D&D-branded Lego sets!

Then I read the press release: http://blogs.evtrib.com/nerdvana/books/kre-o-announces-dungeons-dragons-construction-sets/94971/

:(

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
The "Sonic Motion" sets that are mentioned in that press release might be an interest to this thread - there are some very unique molded parts in those sets that can do some pretty wild stuff

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Heroica is pretty much D&D. Add yourself a few extra enemies (snakes/spiders/ants etc) and adapt the rules to suit adult player and you'll have a blast.

A few friends and I have a Heroica sesh every few months. Plenty if drinks and smokes to be had while trying to gently caress each other over on the race to the final 'Boss' to claim the treasure!

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

I made some more race cars!
Going for a kind of hot-wheels style so some of the parts are ridiculous for the scale i'm working in.

Futura Racing League - First Set of Vehicles by AzMiLion, on Flickr

EDIT//
the terrifying thing is that these thing still average 60 parts. . .

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 16, 2013

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Those are really awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You need to swap out the rear tires for the old bubble space tires, just because.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

That is pretty much my preferred scale vehicle when building IRL. I such at large stuff.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

AzMiLion posted:

Going for a kind of hot-wheels style so some of the parts are ridiculous for the scale i'm working in.

EDIT//

Holy smoke those are rad! I went and picked up the LotR wizard battle small set, it's such a rad little stage, especially with the rotating eye :haw:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

AzMiLion posted:

EDIT//

Middle front row is absolutely my fave, but second from right in the second row is awesome simply because of what you did with the car doors as fenders.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

AzMiLion posted:

EDIT//

I'm all about middle, second row. It's more classic looking, but the colours and shape are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Those microfigures