Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Okay Ziggy's Mod looks seriously amazing

http://farcry.nexusmods.com/mods/63//

It seems to completely strip out the story campaign and just turn Farcry3 into the open world game it should have been?

Gotta try this out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I don't know where you're getting the idea that it's stripping the game of its campaign, but I'm playing it right now. The new weapons and "Hardcore" changes are tight.

However, I'm experiencing bugs in my game I can only assume I'm having due to installing Ziggy during an existing campaign with another mod. My guess is I have to start all over for this to not be bugged, but I really can't be assed into doing the prologue again.

But my current loadout is a revolver, a Type-10 shotshell flare gun, and a Skorpion SMG, plus the Inferno bow. Having 3 one-handed weapons in a belt like a goddamned modern pirate seems more feasible than toting 4 light machine-guns, and feels awesome.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay Ziggy's Mod looks seriously amazing

http://farcry.nexusmods.com/mods/63//

It seems to completely strip out the story campaign and just turn Farcry3 into the open world game it should have been?

Gotta try this out...

Audio/Visual Changes posted:

• Removed Citra's red body paint.
Just have to keep that Nexus quality, eh? :v:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Morter posted:

However, I'm experiencing bugs in my game I can only assume I'm having due to installing Ziggy during an existing campaign with another mod. My guess is I have to start all over for this to not be bugged, but I really can't be assed into doing the prologue again.

I think it does require a new game start to work properly, but FYI you don't have to do the intro, it just starts off when you wake up in Amanaki with Dennis.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I think it does require a new game start to work properly, but FYI you don't have to do the intro, it just starts off when you wake up in Amanaki with Dennis.

Well holy poo poo, I just did that right now. Thanks!

Time to level up by slinging lead; my most favorite pastime. :clint:

Edit: All this game really needs modded in are buttons to manually holster weapons, and turn the flashlight on/off, all for immersion sake. Has there been any word on that?

Morter fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 24, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

gibbed posted:

Haha, missed that. Oh Nexus, you never change. :allears:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

gibbed posted:

Far Cry 3 Modding thread: Let's put some boobs on this Cassowary.

Seriously, Nexus is the best/worst thing to happen to modding, but always hilarious.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I'd guess I'm about halfway through this game (I've cleared all the outposts on the top island and am doing the fetch quests with Buck) and I have a few mixed feelings about this game. What I've realised is that almost all of my problems are the same ones that I have with Assassin's Creed, which makes sense given that it's made by the same people.

The game takes a few seconds to open any chest, or loot a body, or skin an animal. It isn't a significant amount of time, and I guess to some this complaint will be very spergy. But I have to watch these same animations over and over, when they may as well be instant. What do these animations serve; realism? They still aren't that realistic. Instead, every time I do one of these repetitive tasks, that take a few seconds, I feel time slipping away. This game is fun to play if you just want something to suck up all your time (hence why the box for the Lost Expedition edition brags about "40 extra minutes of gameplay" as if length equals quality), but not if you want a game where you'll be 100% engaged at all times.

Climbing the radio towers isn't a fun mechanic, and is even more repetitive than Assassin's Creed, which at least had the climbing-parkour-puzzle mechanic to go with it. Clearing the outposts is fun but... the problem is, once you clear the area, there are no dynamic enemies in this area any more. That means, there's no tension - if I need to go from the checkpoint to a mission marker, the travel time is boring. It suffers from the problem that the single player campaign missions are easily the best part of the game - everything else feels like filler.

This game doesn't flesh out its open world mechanics to the extent of something like Skyrim or New Vegas, which is maybe too hard a bar to expect. But it doesn't have as many fun things to do between missions as something like Saints Row or GTA either. Every "open world" aspect of this game is just totally half-assed.

I know I'm late to the party on this game, and I'll probably still finish it... and give Blood Dragon a shot. I don't hate this game overall nor do I hate AC (I still haven't played the third one after being disappointed by Brotherhood and Revelations...) I just feel like there's something insidious and dull about the way Ubisoft do open world and now I'm worried Watch_Dogs will have the same drat problems.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I know I'm late to the party on this game, and I'll probably still finish it... and give Blood Dragon a shot. I don't hate this game overall nor do I hate AC (I still haven't played the third one after being disappointed by Brotherhood and Revelations...) I just feel like there's something insidious and dull about the way Ubisoft do open world and now I'm worried Watch_Dogs will have the same drat problems.

I actually liked the radio tower climbing, especially when the jumps got a bit more harrowing. I do agree on the animations for chests and such, though - and Blood Dragon takes of this as I recall. You hold down the loot button, and things are picked up without an animation, with the exception of cyber-hearts, I think.

I'd suggest the packet of mods listed in the OP, which allows for outposts to be reset, and other cool things. Whenever it is I get around to my next playthrough, I definitely don't want to be jumping into bushes just to see a friendly Jeep go by.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

morcant posted:

I actually liked the radio tower climbing, especially when the jumps got a bit more harrowing. I do agree on the animations for chests and such, though - and Blood Dragon takes of this as I recall. You hold down the loot button, and things are picked up without an animation, with the exception of cyber-hearts, I think.

I'd suggest the packet of mods listed in the OP, which allows for outposts to be reset, and other cool things. Whenever it is I get around to my next playthrough, I definitely don't want to be jumping into bushes just to see a friendly Jeep go by.

The last patch allows you to reset outposts through a menu anyway so that mod is obsolete now.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The last patch allows you to reset outposts through a menu anyway so that mod is obsolete now.

Yeah, but I also like having all the skills unlocked at the start, so I don't have to wait until halfway through the game to get silent running.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Except not because it still does things like remove your ability to see through walls, rebalance guns, make guns available without having to climb radio towers, and more.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Are there any actual setbacks to dying? You know, aside from having to redo everything beyond your previous save.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Being sent back to the closest radio tower/safehouse is a pain in the rear end v:shobon:v

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Captain Novolin posted:

Being sent back to the closest radio tower/safehouse is a pain in the rear end v:shobon:v

Haha I can see how that'd be a setback, but I actually love travelling by foot. Very rarely do I use a vehicle, unless it's super far away.

I guess my more specific question is: do I lose any money at all?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

bubblelubble posted:

Haha I can see how that'd be a setback, but I actually love travelling by foot. Very rarely do I use a vehicle, unless it's super far away.

I guess my more specific question is: do I lose any money at all?

I'm pretty sure you lose any money and loot that you gained in the time between dying and the last autosave.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'm on the Xbox version and I'm pretty sure I cleared a pirate fort, but it's not giving it to me. Do they glitch or am I not finding a dumb pirate somewhere?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

On PS3 and I had that happen.
It turned out to be a dog who was glitching on the corner of a building. Only happened the once.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I got this game a couple weeks ago. It's pretty solid, and as a result I haven't needed to come to the internet with problems... until now. How the heck do I do a pistol takedown? The game says left mouse right away, but I'm not sure what it means- I've tried hitting mouse1 at various times during the takedown sequence to no result.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Works just like a knife throw, but I think its right mouse not left mouse.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Are you talking about a Gunslinger takedown? If so you have to press M2 (or ironsights button) and then press M1. At least that's how it worked in Blood Dragon, and that game is a basic copypaste of the far cry 3 engine.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Sleekly posted:

On PS3 and I had that happen.
It turned out to be a dog who was glitching on the corner of a building. Only happened the once.

Interesting that you mention this. I had one specific area, on the second island, where one of the "yellow" pirates would apparently glitch inside one of the water towers atop a hill with a command outpost. He would shout at me and shoot me (he could hurt me and eventually kill me) but I could never see or kill him aside from him showing up on my threat meter.

Anyone else ever have this problem or something like it? Happened more than once at that particular location.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Works just like a knife throw, but I think its right mouse not left mouse.

Yeah, that's it, just tried that. Not sure how I didn't pick up on it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I got this game during the Steam flash sale and jesus gently caress, starting on Warrior was not a good idea. My previous experience was with Blood Dragon and in that game you start out invariably better equipped.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You aren't as powerful as in Blood Dragon. If you play on the higher difficulties you need to be more careful, once you get used to be sneaky it'll be fine.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Also F9 is quicksave and F11 is quick load. I make judicious use of these because I refuse to get less than 1500 points on an outpost.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Picked up FC3 in the steam sale and my god, it seems to be about as much fun as Just Cause 2. From crashing a jeep into an outpost from above to sudden and hilarious apex predators ruining stealthy situations, I haven't had as much fun in an FPS in ages!

Do you actually need to do the story missions to unlock anything, or can you just wander around doing side missions and radio towers across the whole map?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Picked up FC3 in the steam sale and my god, it seems to be about as much fun as Just Cause 2. From crashing a jeep into an outpost from above to sudden and hilarious apex predators ruining stealthy situations, I haven't had as much fun in an FPS in ages!

Do you actually need to do the story missions to unlock anything, or can you just wander around doing side missions and radio towers across the whole map?
Do all the radio towers and buy all the maps first. Don't worry too much about finding all the items just yet. Do the story missions until you get to the second island. It will open up all of the skills and it will unlock the wingsuit, which makes hang gliders useless. You can travel back and forth between islands as much as you want, so there's no reason to worry about finding everything until then.

Some areas can only be accessed during or after a story mission too, so don't stress out about not being able to get into certain places.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 15, 2013

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I think you'll find that the replayability on JC2 is somewhat higher than FC3. However, the :flame: is among the best in videogame history.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
This game is awesome, I picked it up in the steam sale. Komodo dragons and panthers are huge fuckers, interrupting me all the time.

I feel like there's nothing to spend my money on though, and way too much miscellaneous loot. I bought a grenade launcher and customized/painted all my weapons which set me back for a while but now I'm right back to $4000.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Got this game during the Christmas Steam sale and only got around to playing through it over the past few days. Fun game...that one area where you had to sneak into the mercenary camp and steal a uniform was a huge pain in the rear end, though. That and the flamethrower guys in the bunker when you're trying to take out Hoyt's communications.

Also...I really, really just...hated the people I was supposed to be rescuing. Is that on purpose? Or are we supposed to sympathize with the X-TREME YOLO MOUNTAIN DEW CREW?

EDIT: The only reason I didn't end the game by killing those douches was because I hated Citra more than them. Barely.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 21, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think we're supposed to dislike Jason's friends, but to be fair, I disliked pretty much every non-villain character (and also Citra). Basically every character in this game is a crappy non-person made out of walking TVtropes pages. :shrug:

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I think we're supposed to dislike Jason's friends, but to be fair, I disliked pretty much every non-villain character (and also Citra). Basically every character in this game is a crappy non-person made out of walking TVtropes pages. :shrug:

It does really feel like you're supposed to think they're entitled assholes after that opening movie. Still, I maintain that the best thing to come out of that game was Vaas, as I didn't really care much about Hoyt in the second half, though Citra taken in a certain light makes a good villain herself - manipulating Jason the whole way through. That doesn't make the ending where she up and kills Jason any less retarded, however.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I was okay with Vaas right up until he pulled the "Definition of insanity" poo poo. I mean...Einstein's awesome and it's a great quote and all, but it's such a cliche villain thing to say.

So, basically, the only people I liked in the game were Buck and Sam. 'Cause they were awesome. Oh, and Willis, but only because he kind of reminds me of Hunter Gathers.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CJacobs posted:

To be fair, the most annoying of Jason's friends spends quite a bit of time being hosed up the rear end by an insane Australian mercenary. All I really wanted my character to do was toss Liza overboard on the boat ride home and hook up with Daisy. She's by far the least annoying of the bunch (outside of your brother).

Also, it is kind of funny that if you do all of the night club scenes you'll notice that there's actually another friend, but he doesn't show up in gameplay at all. Oops

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

grack posted:

Also, it is kind of funny that if you do all of the night club scenes you'll notice that there's actually another friend, but he doesn't show up in gameplay at all. Oops

I assume you're talking about the guy who gets them hooked up with a pilot? He doesn't show up in gameplay because he doesn't come with, he's just hired to get dumb American tourists to skydive onto Pirate Island

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Crappy Jack posted:

I assume you're talking about the guy who gets them hooked up with a pilot? He doesn't show up in gameplay because he doesn't come with, he's just hired to get dumb American tourists to skydive onto Pirate Island

No, the dude with the bandana and glasses, not the DJ. You'll also notice he's in the intro cinematic and trailer, but doesn't show up in the game.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Phylodox posted:

I was okay with Vaas right up until he pulled the "Definition of insanity" poo poo. I mean...Einstein's awesome and it's a great quote and all, but it's such a cliche villain thing to say.

Einstein didn't actually say that. I know the Far Cry wiki says otherwise, but it's just not true. It's usually attributed to a Narcotics Anonymous text from the 1980s. Vaas became addicted to drugs when he came to Rook Island, which allows this quote to make a bit more sense in the context. The whole game is about tropes, and that part was one of the game's best little scenes.

And the dude in the night club scenes was this guy: http://farcry.wikia.com/wiki/Vincent_Salas

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I guess Farcry 3 could be about tropes, but I don't think it necessarily had anything interesting to say about tropes. Everything's played pretty much as a straight (and somewhat mediocre) action/survival story. If you're going to play around with cliches you've got to subvert them somehow to make it interesting.

The gameplay was good. Good enough to keep me interested until the end. As for the "What must I become to survive?!?" storyline, I think both Tomb Raider and Spec Ops: The Line did it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I had something happen just now that I wasn't expecting- I actually had human help clearing an outpost. Basically I was driving behind a truck of friendlies on the way to an enemy-controlled outpost, and they drove right into it, which actually made the perfect distraction for me to shiv all the pirates undetected. Surprisingly, something like two of three of the friendlies survived the incident.

• Locked thread