Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I've shot 40 gigs worth of pictures in a day.

Every one was a keeper too :smug: oh god if i ever see another picture of dust again i'll go insane :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Machine gunning at car/bike races is another valid reason to carry a mountain of flash storage.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
"Refurbished" "sandisk" cards "from ebay" has to be poking at the 'please, send me fake cards' gods so strongly that either cosmic irony takes over and they're the most legit, best performing cards ever, or your gear spontaneously combusts the second they arrive.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mr. Despair posted:

I've shot 40 gigs worth of pictures in a day.

Every one was a keeper too :smug: oh god if i ever see another picture of dust again i'll go insane :gonk:

You can't go someplace when you're already there, silly.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InternetJunky posted:

Has anyone ever bought a refurbished CF card off ebay before? (i.e. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SanDisk-64GB...82742f0a&_uhb=1)

Two of these new would kill my budget for an up-coming trip but losing shots to junk cards would also kill my trip.

How the hell do you 'refurbish' a memory card, anyway?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

spog posted:

Correcting spelling mistakes on the labels of counterfeit cards.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you absolutely HAVE to have the 90MB/s cards? I have two of these Lexar cards for my D800 and they work great and are cheaper than those refurbs: http://www.amazon.com/computers-accessories/dp/B00AJF1K1E

On the D800 the difference between it and the pricy-er Sandisk XTREEME is pretty negligible: http://robgalbraith.com/camera_wb_multi_page9ec1.html?cid=6007-12451

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have 30mbps cards and after about 5 or 6 shots in a row the camera spends like 10 seconds trying to catch up and OH GOD WHY ARENT YOU TAKING PHOTOS OF THAT BIRD making GBS threads, CAMERA?

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I'm buying a D7000 off KEH. Is it is worth the $30 difference between EX and LN-? My inclination says no, given KEH's reputaiton and the fact that I am currently using a D200 which is missing the main grip, but I would like input none the less.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ultrabay2000 posted:

I'm buying a D7000 off KEH. Is it is worth the $30 difference between EX and LN-? My inclination says no, given KEH's reputaiton and the fact that I am currently using a D200 which is missing the main grip, but I would like input none the less.

I'd really doubt it. Difference might be a slight scratch somewhere on the body but that'd be it.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I'd rather there not be a noticeable mark on the screen but other than that I don't really care.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

spog posted:

For 3 easy payments of $19.99 I will teach this one weird tip that memory card manufacturers don't want you to know. . .

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

ultrabay2000 posted:

I'd rather there not be a noticeable mark on the screen but other than that I don't really care.

I'd be surprised if KEH sold an EX body with a scratch on the screen. I'd say there would be no noticeable difference unless you pored over the body meticulously.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ultrabay2000 posted:

I should have clarified, it wouldn't be on the screen. It'd be like a small scratch on the body or something that wouldn't affect any function.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Cool, looks like I'm saving $30! Thanks guys.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So a while ago I bought this lovely Holga lens for Nikon mount. It's supposed to be 60mm with fixed f/8 aperture. However when I compare it to my regular 50/1.8 set to f/8, the Holga is about 3.5 stops darker. Did they actually make an f/28 lens and leave out the "2" on the print? Or could there be something else in the constructions that so heavily darkens the image?
(Maybe I should try using it for some long exposures.)

But I'm shooting it in broad daylight at ISO 1600 in 1/250s, it's ridiculous. I need to try it on some film too.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I remember reading somewhere that Holga lenses are more like F13, probably due to the crappy glass/plastic optics and extreme vignetting.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The aperture could be f8, but you can still lose additional light through the optics. This is usually called a T-stop (T for transmission). On most modern lenses you lose about 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop, but I could see a Holga lens transmitting a lot less. 3.5 stops is really severe though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Probably better asking here since like 6 of us read the sports thread :v:

Anyone use the ThinkTank Steroid belt and some of their holsters/pouches? I'm getting a set of stuff along with the shoulder straps for some sports and weddings and was curious how any of you liked them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I mentioned this in the Canon thread, but it's worth mentioning here: Canon's great refurbished lens selection just got bumped from a 90 day warranty to a full year.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

DJExile posted:

Probably better asking here since like 6 of us read the sports thread :v:

Anyone use the ThinkTank Steroid belt and some of their holsters/pouches? I'm getting a set of stuff along with the shoulder straps for some sports and weddings and was curious how any of you liked them.

They probably work great. I used to use a generic work belt and some Lowepro pouches when I shot weddings and it was very convenient, especially if you are shooting primes.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I could use a suggestion what camera to buy next.

I have been using the Lumix FZ-20 for the last several years. It died two weeks ago. Time to move on.

I have a budget of 500$, so an SLR is right out. The obvious choice of FZ-200 is not interesting to me. Just look at the distortion in RAW mode! I don't think another tiny-sensored superzoom is something for me. I seldom use the long range of the zoom anyway.

I'm looking at the cameras without a mirror. They seem to be of decent quality and price. Of particular interest is the Pentax offering, the K-01. I happen to have the Pentax Super Program and some lenses that go with it. I think those may be compatible with the K-01, although I may have to focus them by hand. Which is no problem to me as I don't shoot things that move.

Are there any other options I should look at? Any ideas? Or maybe I should stick to a compact superzoom?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It doesn't sound like you care about AF, so you should really consider getting in on the EOS M fire sale that's going on right now.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you want to use your old lenses you could also look for a K-30 since there seem to be some body-only around $500 and it's a great camera.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
K-01's output is gorgeous, it's tough to beat for the price. Its biggest downfall is glacial RAW write speeds, imo. Fine performer otherwise, focus peaking works a treat with MF lenses.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It doesn't sound like you care about AF, so you should really consider getting in on the EOS M fire sale that's going on right now.
I'd get either that (which is a valid option with the latest firmware) or an older micr 4 thirds.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this. I'm leaving my cushy photo lab manager job for grad school and won't be able to use all those nice free color calibrators for my home displays anymore. So I am in the market. As I've never personally purchased one I'm looking for suggestions. I only need something for calibrating displays, not any other kind of equipment at the moment.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

doctor 7 posted:

Meiki rules if you want to roll the third party dice again.

Rolled the dice .. bought Meiki .. got "Neewer" brand but it works PERFECTLY. Feels great too. :)

I did write the seller to let them know I was a bit irritated to not receive the brand I ordered, that and their tracking didn't work at all and their customer service was .. well .. didn't resemble service. Oh well, it works.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 18, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

GoodApollo posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this. I'm leaving my cushy photo lab manager job for grad school and won't be able to use all those nice free color calibrators for my home displays anymore. So I am in the market. As I've never personally purchased one I'm looking for suggestions. I only need something for calibrating displays, not any other kind of equipment at the moment.

I just got a scrub-tier $99 Huey and it's served me well for like 3 years at least. Hot drat are LED backlit displays consistent though, I calibrate every few months and pretty much nothing changes.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Has anyone here ever used the "Bokina" aka. Tokina 90mm f2.5 / Vivitar Series 1? It's hard to get a grasp of how much is hype and how much is reality from reading other sites. I will say the samples I've seen look really good.

Also, for this specific lens, if I'm shooting mirrorless does it matter which mount I get? I assume the optical formula is the same regardless of OM/FD/MD/whatever.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Helicity posted:

Has anyone here ever used the "Bokina" aka. Tokina 90mm f2.5 / Vivitar Series 1? It's hard to get a grasp of how much is hype and how much is reality from reading other sites. I will say the samples I've seen look really good.

Also, for this specific lens, if I'm shooting mirrorless does it matter which mount I get? I assume the optical formula is the same regardless of OM/FD/MD/whatever.

I haven't used one, but the optics should be the same. Just get one in whatever mount is either cheapest, or for whatever adapter you have that works the best.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Since my Yashica Electro 35 GSN gave up the ghost, mechanically, I'm going to hack the lens out and adapt it to E-Mount for my NEX. Anyone done this mod before? I'm going to document my progress, but I'd love to have someone to toss questions at.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Review of the ThinkTank Steroid belt, Racing Harness (shoulder straps), and Digital Holster 50 v2.0, along with Lowepro 13/32cm lens case:

The belt is really comfortable but if you're going to have a big camera+lens in the holster (gripped pro body + 70-200mm f/2.8 with hood, something like that) you'll want the shoulder straps. Makes the whole thing very comfortable. Having that unzippable drop-down section of the bag is a huge help and will let you keep the hood attached in shooting position, which is awesome.

The Lowepro case is a lowepro case. There's a billion of them out there and you know what you're getting with them. Very well-padded, almost too well-padded. It's a tight fit for lenses with an attached hood.

Here's me jumping over flames wearing all of it because I am a smart person.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

Here's me jumping over flames wearing all of it because I am a smart person.

What a classy Gentleman!

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
I just bought a few custom made 30.5 mm filters from SRB photographics and would like to spread the word about their nice offerings.

http://www.srb-griturn.com/

The rationale behind the purchase was that the Rollei 35 SE I had acquired in the past months had become a b/w-only (film) camera so I needed a few color filters, some of which could not be purchased anymore as the camera is rather old.

They cut them to exact size for me, with correct outside threading so that I could stack them or use a hood in addition to the filters. Nice! :)

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
While I was at comic-con last week, I won a point/shoot camera from some booth. It appears to be a Japanese model about 1 year old that isn't regularly available or sold in the US. I don't really need it myself since I have a d7000, but I can't really figure out how much I should be trying to sell it for.

It is a Casio Exilim EX-Z690 16.1 megapixel camera, and and all the documentation that comes with it is in Japanese. Also, it's in the normal product box, but it appears to be a special version of the camera that is branded with Namco Bandai artwork on the front. It's probably not worth much, but what should I do with this thing? Should I try to pass it off to friends who live in Japan to see if they can get some cash for it? I can't find many reviews for it, or a proper retail value. I've seen anywhere from about 70 Euros to 310 USD.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Martytoof posted:

Since my Yashica Electro 35 GSN gave up the ghost, mechanically, I'm going to hack the lens out and adapt it to E-Mount for my NEX. Anyone done this mod before? I'm going to document my progress, but I'd love to have someone to toss questions at.

Hail satan.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

It is a Casio Exilim EX-Z690 16.1 megapixel camera

I've seen anywhere from about 70 Euros to 310 USD.

I bought one of those (in fact that exact model, except for the branded exterior) for cheap recently, those 70 EUR seems about right. It's a pretty bad camera, especially controls wise.
Your best use for it will likely be a fancy-looking paper weight. Only sell it if you can find a crazy collector.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Definitely show off your progress here. I don't know anything about doing this, but it sounds fascinating and I want to see how it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I couldn't find a thread that seemed more appropriate for this, looked back a couples pages.

I'm looking for recommendations for printers, as the girlfriend is going back to school in a couple months so we'll need something anyways. We both do photography and would like to be able to print out some of our shots in relatively high quality. Sizing wise we won't be blowing anything up larger than what would fit on an 8.5"x11" sheet. As far as image quality I'm pretty ignorant as to how the printer market is tiered, but we'd like to spend less that $350. Is it worth trying to find a solution in this range or should we buy a cheap for-school printer and use third party printing services?

While on this topic, what sheets are people printing onto? Anyone have a good resource to read about this stuff? Is there a photo printing thread I'm not seeing? Thanks in advance.