Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I dug around my garage and I found the remains of my old amp that died in a car wreck. UK-made Vintage 30 just sitting there for the taking. I also salvaged a full-size Accutronics tank (which I will also install) and some Sovtek 12AX7s (which will be nice to have as spares).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
I've spent three or four hours comparing different samples online and gee whiz, Jensen Blackbirds sound the best to my ears. $257 a piece :suicide:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Schlieren posted:

I've spent three or four hours comparing different samples online and gee whiz, Jensen Blackbirds sound the best to my ears. $257 a piece :suicide:

I did that before I found the Vintage 30. AlNiCo speakers just sound... Better. Warmer, spongier, way more expensive than ceramic. It's like pickups all over again :sigh:

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Vintage 30s are funny- they're very much a love it or hate it kind of thing.

I eventually liked mine, but being used to old Fender CTS and Utahs, it was a weird transition.

Eminence makes great drivers for the money, for whatever that's worth.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

Schlieren posted:

One thing that's always been annoying for me as a guitarist and gearhead is that the music I play is completely unlike anything anyone plays in those sample videos. I go between playing super loud "wall of sound" fuzzed out stoner/doom metal (think Electric Wizard/old Boris/Weedeater) to super grindy HM-2 type distortion in Drop A (think Trap Them/Black Breath/Magrudergrind etc etc) and I can never ever find samples of speakers, pickups or even amps used in a way like that on the internet. I'm sure I'm not the majority but it still bums me out that I have to find ways to try them all out in person which is basically impossible :sigh:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sirius Sam posted:

One thing that's always been annoying for me as a guitarist and gearhead is that the music I play is completely unlike anything anyone plays in those sample videos. I go between playing super loud "wall of sound" fuzzed out stoner/doom metal (think Electric Wizard/old Boris/Weedeater) to super grindy HM-2 type distortion in Drop A (think Trap Them/Black Breath/Magrudergrind etc etc) and I can never ever find samples of speakers, pickups or even amps used in a way like that on the internet. I'm sure I'm not the majority but it still bums me out that I have to find ways to try them all out in person which is basically impossible :sigh:

What's your opinion on Keith Merrow and company on YouTube? They're not perfect but they sold me on some new Seymour Duncan's.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sirius Sam posted:

The sample videos are ultimately designed for corksniffing blues lawyers. Those are the guys that drop the money, so those are the guys that get catered to. I don't know of anyone who designs amps specifically for fuzzed out stoner/doom metal, unfortunately; I think a lot of that is playing through a bass amp.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Declan MacManus posted:

I don't know of anyone who designs amps specifically for fuzzed out stoner/doom metal,

Uhhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teii3AK8yOc

Schlieren fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 16, 2013

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Wouldn't a blues amp with a wah-wah and big muff work well for fuzzy doom?

I've got a patch on my Zoom G5 which models that exact setup with a Marshall 1959. 80 gain on the "great" muff, 23 gain on the amp, 52 tube, 56 pres, 60 bass/mids and 64 treble outputting through a Mesa 4x12 cab model with a HD Reverb. Works well enough for home practice so the real thing should be infinitely better.

The bluesbreaker and clean boost should really be on a separate patch but it's easy enough to toggle them for the muff and 59 in a couple of seconds.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

The sample videos are ultimately designed for corksniffing blues lawyers. Those are the guys that drop the money, so those are the guys that get catered to. I don't know of anyone who designs amps specifically for fuzzed out stoner/doom metal, unfortunately; I think a lot of that is playing through a bass amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeoj8HGatYk

Then there's the old Matamps and Oranges, Sunns and the like. They weren't designed for that specifically, but that's where the sound comes from. And the occasional bass amp too.

But getting to dude's main point, few people showing off gear on youtube or wherever do much beyond either midlife crisis bluesdad or bedroom Yngwie stuff, which isn't helpful if your thing doesn't fall in those two minor categories.

Verizian posted:

Wouldn't a blues amp with a wah-wah and big muff work well for fuzzy doom?

Eh, depends on the amp. If you're going the pedal route it really helps to have a high power, darker voiced amp like those old 70s monsters. A lovely sludge band I was in for a minute ages ago I ran a Boss FZ-2 into the clean channel of a block letter 5150, which is people normally gripe about because it's very dark.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 16, 2013

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Eh, depends on the amp. If you're going the pedal route it really helps to have a high power, darker voiced amp like those old 70s monsters. A lovely sludge band I was in for a minute ages ago I ran a Boss FZ-2 into the clean channel of a block letter 5150, which is people normally gripe about because it's very dark.
[/quote]

Yes this. I have a fz-2, a 70's peavey classic vtx 4x10, and a les Paul copy with Emg's tuned to b standard and this combo nails the weedeater sleep stoner sound. The fz-2 sounds way better through the peavey than any other amp I've tried. Love that sound. Wish I could crank it up more often.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I've got a rack with a Soldano SP-77, a TC G-Major 2 and a Marshall 9100 with an occasional tubescreamer, and I play 80ies hair metal.

The rig sounds great, but I don't have a lot of time to work on my technique and that sometimes shines through.

When I play at home I use Amplitube with a sort of EVH setting with the Diode Overdrive into a British Tube Lead, and this sounds awesome, and it covers up my lovely technique a lot better.

What amp could get close to this sound at a lower volume(head or combo)? Or could an addition to rig do it?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You could always get a solid state power amp to run your rack system through at home. It won't sound great but it'll probably be better than Amplitube.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Oh, no, I was looking to get a whole other, simpler rig. I only use the delay on the G-Major and I don't use the stereo bit. It's when I play the amp that my lovely technique shines through. I want it to be MORE like Amplitube :)

seat chafe
Jun 7, 2013

So my 200W power attenuator from Weber Speakers arrived in the mail.

Blasting the poo poo out of my Laney GH100S head through a cab sim, while monitoring at mixing volume within the DAW, in real time, is loving insane. My face has been melted off.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

5 for catstare

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Boz0r posted:

Oh, no, I was looking to get a whole other, simpler rig. I only use the delay on the G-Major and I don't use the stereo bit. It's when I play the amp that my lovely technique shines through. I want it to be MORE like Amplitube :)

Sounds like what you want is an amp modeler.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

seat chafe posted:

So my 200W power attenuator from Weber Speakers arrived in the mail.

Blasting the poo poo out of my Laney GH100S head through a cab sim, while monitoring at mixing volume within the DAW, in real time, is loving insane. My face has been melted off.

Oooooh. I've been trying to find a good way to tame a 60W tube amp so it's useable somewhere other than the hangar I work in...that looks like it would fit the bill nicely. Thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware of Weber before.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

And it can be yours for the low low price of only $2500. :catstare:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Handen posted:

And it can be yours for the low low price of only $2500. :catstare:

Electric Amps like the ones Matt Pike used on Dopesmoker run about that much, with a 12-18 month lead time. Comparable Oranges, Hiwatt/Sound City, and if you can find them Matamps aren't much cheaper.

Deelon
Sep 18, 2003
Also look into Hovercraft Amps. They take various old amps and totally re-build them, the direction is usually toward the fuzzed out, heavy stoner rock sound. They're very reasonably priced, and all I've heard sound killer for that genre.

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug
Anyone care to share their opinion on the JVM 205c, or the JVM series in general?

I'm thinkin of picking one up.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Gold Dust Gasoline posted:

Anyone care to share their opinion on the JVM 205c, or the JVM series in general?

I'm thinkin of picking one up.

I thought they sounded good when I played them, but that's a highly subjective measure.

That said, I also thought they sounded more "American" than a jcm, for example.

I'm not a big fan of anything with that many knobs.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Maybe it's me but all the demos of JVMs sound a little muffled compared to the usual Marshall tone.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I had the JVM 410C and it was pretty good, but I realized a combo was too drat heavy and I only used 2-3 different settings. But it's a very versatile amp.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Deelon posted:

Also look into Hovercraft Amps. They take various old amps and totally re-build them, the direction is usually toward the fuzzed out, heavy stoner rock sound. They're very reasonably priced, and all I've heard sound killer for that genre.

gently caress yes. I've been following that guy for a while now. Chronobot rolled through town a couple weeks ago and their guitarist had a Dwarvenaut 20. Sounded deadly. I've got a Legend Model A 60, Rock 'n' Roll 50, an Ampeg VT22, a Garnet Pro 200 Super, and a Bogen CHA33 that are all great for stoner rock, and all together they cost me less than half of one Meatsmoke amp. To my ears it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to get that heavy if you do a bit of research and be patient in searching. ;-*

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Really, anything with KT88s (or even 6550s) will probably have a good voice for stoner rock.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

Sounds like what you want is an amp modeler.

That seems like too much of a hassle. I pretty much just want this one sound with a clean channel, or something.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Go all dinosaur jr and get an entirely second amp that you control with an ab/y switch just for your cleans.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Speaking of amps and such, I just got an Ampeg System Selector, meaning I'm going to have all of my heads and cabs essentially selectable via a switch. Now, I want to solder my own speaker cables, so where's the best place online I can order bulk speaker cable by the foot and right-angle tips?

Edit: I found out I can use any old electrical lamp cable and any old 1/4" TS jacks. Confirm/deny?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 29, 2013

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I've got a Hughes & Kettner Attax 80 combo with a borked input that I'm taking in to get fixed this week. But, it got me thinking that I'd really like to move to a tube combo sometime soon.

I bought the H&K back around 1994 and it's the only amp I've ever owned. I see a lot of talk here about tube amps in the 5-10 W range, but because I've only ever owned an 80 W amp, I'm having difficulty separating from the idea that a <10 W amp isn't enough. Even though I only ever play in my apartment and seldom turn the volume above 3, and I know how power scales with volume.

So basically, can someone:

1. confirm for me that I don't need a 50+ W tube amp if I'm just going to be playing in my living room?
2. confirm for me that a low wattage tube amp cranked higher will sound better than a higher wattage tube amp cranked lower but outputting at an equal volume?
3. recommend some amps under $500, but around $300 (new or used) would be ideal? I mostly play metal (KSE, DragonForce, Blind Guardian).

Also, do I need to stick with a 12" speaker? I see some combos with 8" and 10", but does that result in a loss of fullness or low end versus a 12"?

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
You can't use watts to compare output of solid state power sections to tube power sections. Lots of factors go into volume, but 15 watts of tube power is pretty much the limit for an apartment I'd say--15 watts can be played live with a drummer without having to push the amp.

1. 50 watts of tube gets loud as gently caress.
2. The lower wattage amp will break up at lower volumes. It'll also get to the unpleasant level of break up at lower volumes. An attenuator or master volume evens the playing field.
3. Marshall Class 5's are readily available on the used market for $300. It lacks a master volume, but it does have a "low power" switch that tames it pretty well.

No 5 watt combo I've come across is loaded with a really great speaker anyhow. The cabinets are usually poo poo too; the Class 5's cabinet is actually the best out there, in my opinion--it's quite large and seems to let the speaker open up a bit better. Still, if you want a full, deep sound, you'll have to get a proper cabinet. Manufactures have realized that these little cabs suck, so most 5 waters are available as heads (if head and cab are a money issue, most 5 waters have jacks for extension cabs so you could always save to buy a cab later).

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

It's really rare for a low wattage tube amp to sound like a cranked larger amp. The character of the distortion of these amps is very different. Don't expect a cranked 15w amp to sound like a 100 watt Marshall at full tilt just quieter. Even the difference between a 15 and a 30 is significant (see VOX AC15/30 for example).

Also, low wattage amps still get loud as gently caress. Wattage works on a factor of ten. You need ten times the wattage to double the volume. This makes a ten watt amp capable of about half the volume of a 100 watt amp (this is still loud as gently caress). People get a 50 expecting it to be half the volume of a 100 but they're totally wrong.

Personally if you really want the big amp sound get the amp you want and use an attenuator. this is still a sonic compromise but it'll get you closer to what you want than going for a low wattage amp.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Amps just sound better when they're loud. There's probably some psychoacoustic principle behind this but I was sick for that day of music production class. :shrug:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It must have something to do with how you literally feel the air being displaced. It really does feel better when it's cranked and you have earplugs in.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It takes more power for a speaker to reproduce low frequencies at the same volume as higher ones, so you have to turn the amp up to get the full tonal range.

e: also human hearing is more midrange-sensitive

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 31, 2013

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

comes along bort posted:

e: also human hearing is more midrange-sensitive
Not mine, not anymore. Use earplugs kids!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Remulak posted:

Not mine, not anymore. Use earplugs kids!

I'm really weird and always think guitar amps sound better with earplugs in so I usually wear them. I've found some good ones at work that sound great with amps at all volumes, I don't think they mess with the tone that much.

http://www.moldex.com/hearing-protection/reusable-earplugs/rockets.php

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah the way you hear frequency content changes with volume. Thats what you're doing when you crank the bass and treble on a little practice amp in your bedroom making it sound "big". Or the "loudness" button on a hi fi.

ALSO theres the fact that amps power stages clip when they're loud but thats not as big a deal as its often made out to be by guitarists (a lot of "heavy metal" branded amps are designed with a stupid amount of headroom to avoid clipping for the tightest sound).

Also if you want a little babby metal amp for your living room I'd go blackstar personally.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

massive spider posted:

ALSO theres the fact that amps power stages clip when they're loud but thats not as big a deal as its often made out to be by guitarists (a lot of "heavy metal" branded amps are designed with a stupid amount of headroom to avoid clipping for the tightest sound).

This too- the power section of 5150s/Dual Recs/etc are really clean and often biased cold at the factory for more headroom. Their tone comes almost entirely from the preamp.