Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah, I like this as a proof of concept type thing but it needs a lot more to be an ongoing, playable game. Very promising though and our group really enjoyed the base elements. It is almost a shame he didn't include some sort of building aspect similar to Minecraft but not on the same scope, I know it would have been challenging in terms of AI navigation and etc but it would keep the game interesting while he adds more stuff. Oh well, I'll check it out again in a year and see where its at.

You will be able to build your own houses and buildings (maybe entire villages?) in a future update. Wollay posted pictures of this on his blog several months ago. It's not like Minecraft at all, more like assembling buildings using large prefabricated components, but it's there.

As for AI navigation, Wollay is supposedly pretty well regarded at coding AI, especially pathfinding. IIRC he helped Mojang rewrite their path-finding code for some of the Minecraft mobs (ultimately declining employment at the company), which basically turned zombies' and skeletons' path-finding from "incapable" to "nefarious". If you look back on his blog, each NPC in CubeWorld generates their own itinerary for the day, and they actually run about town doing stuff, talking to others, and so on. I don't know if that entire feature was left in the Alpha or not.

Echoing that my friends and I are basically done with the game in its current form, but overall a good alpha that we were able to sink 10-15 hours into by itself, which ultimately justifies the $20 price tag for me. I'm sure once the game is fleshed out, it will be a really solid action RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

babies havin rabies posted:

You will be able to build your own houses and buildings (maybe entire villages?) in a future update. Wollay posted pictures of this on his blog several months ago. It's not like Minecraft at all, more like assembling buildings using large prefabricated components, but it's there.

As for AI navigation, Wollay is supposedly pretty well regarded at coding AI, especially pathfinding. IIRC he helped Mojang rewrite their path-finding code for some of the Minecraft mobs (ultimately declining employment at the company), which basically turned zombies' and skeletons' path-finding from "incapable" to "nefarious". If you look back on his blog, each NPC in CubeWorld generates their own itinerary for the day, and they actually run about town doing stuff, talking to others, and so on. I don't know if that entire feature was left in the Alpha or not.

Echoing that my friends and I are basically done with the game in its current form, but overall a good alpha that we were able to sink 10-15 hours into by itself, which ultimately justifies the $20 price tag for me. I'm sure once the game is fleshed out, it will be a really solid action RPG.

Yeah, I gave him my 15 bucks so hopefully there'll be a really nice finished product (eventually). I'm with you guys though, I've pretty much played out all the content in the game now, but I definitely had a good time.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

jhorphear posted:

I know right? i mean this has to be one of the worst alphas i have ever played. no features, no content, just running around and killing poo poo and collecting gear... wait, this is exactly what i wanted in a game. I love you wollay and i want to have your baby.

edit: sounded too much like a fan boy

You're weird, I wasn't making GBS threads on it or something.

quote:

Yeah that's pretty much where we're at. It was cool as hell and very stable for an alpha, just needs a lot more work.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Even in it's current state I feel like I got more than my money's worth on the alpha. This game still needs a lot of work with balance being something I'm pretty worried about (gently caress rogue bosses!). Regardless, this game is really loving good.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.

Trilin posted:

Even in it's current state I feel like I got more than my money's worth on the alpha. This game still needs a lot of work with balance being something I'm pretty worried about (gently caress staff mage and boomerang ranger bosses). Regardless, this game is really loving good.

Fixed that for you.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
They're really bad but the whole auto crit on dodge makes me wonder what the gently caress they were thinking.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I found a dungeon filled with undead mobs. Being a boomerang ranger, combat is kinda tricky since my damage output feels low (even though I haven't really tried the other classes yet) but I managed to get through only to find the boss of the castle dungeon was a giant skeleton fire mage. Within two minutes I had been chipping away at his health and taken maybe a sixth off or so I also found out that being a boss also gave him the power to summon clones of himself, so before I ran out of stamina and places to run away to I was being chased by eight giant skeleton fire mages who took my health from ~400 to zero in about three seconds.

Also outside was a boss who did that whole style where they summon pets for backup. Except the boss was the pet so around midnight ingame while it was pitch black I fought a giant purple cat who summoned elf rangers as support. Making my way back to town to unload useless poo poo from my inventory I passed through an area I went around on the way there and found a forest jam packed full of red orcs somehow, even though every area surrounding it was blue and had much easier enemies. So instead of going around I just jumped from treetop to treetop like some kind of ninja.

This game is hella weird sometimes but I can't stop playing. I hope Wollay turns the ranger retreat bug into a feature because that's pretty much the only reason I even bother with them, I'd probably never play my ranger again if it were fixed.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Trilin posted:

They're really bad but the whole auto crit on dodge makes me wonder what the gently caress they were thinking.

They? Thats what I love about Cube World, we have someone to blame :D

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
So what are generally accepted to be the "best" weapons for each class? I know Warrior should generally go two-hander (and Guardian) and that a lot of people here like boomerangs on Ranger, but what about the other two? I've heard that staff is good for grouping as Mage, but it's the only weapon I can stand soloing too. As for Rogue I settled on longsword because its secondary attack counts as a dodge for both evading damage and procing Ninja's crit, but my other options seemed pretty even too. And while we're at it; Scout or Sniper for Ranger? I've been going with Scout because Sniper is just kind of worthless compared to free fully-charged right-clicks, but maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.

Heavy Lobster posted:

So what are generally accepted to be the "best" weapons for each class? I know Warrior should generally go two-hander (and Guardian) and that a lot of people here like boomerangs on Ranger, but what about the other two? I've heard that staff is good for grouping as Mage, but it's the only weapon I can stand soloing too. As for Rogue I settled on longsword because its secondary attack counts as a dodge for both evading damage and procing Ninja's crit, but my other options seemed pretty even too. And while we're at it; Scout or Sniper for Ranger? I've been going with Scout because Sniper is just kind of worthless compared to free fully-charged right-clicks, but maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

I'm not sure about other people, but I was really digging fist weapons on my rogue before it got over written by a second copy of my ranger. Something kind of fun about just beating on a mob like it's a speed bag.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Heavy Lobster posted:

All of a ninja's special attacks count as a dodge, doesn't matter what weapons you're using (this includes your leap and shuriken abilities too).

People like longswords, because you can spam left click and do decent AOE.

There's also the theory that since the longsword special attack has more animation frames, you get a longer dodge effect. Personally, I think this is complete bollocks and that you get 0.6 seconds worth no matter what weapon you have.

I prefer fist weapons. Longsword's special only hits to the front, and has an annoying lunge that can take you past enemies. With fist you still get a stun, but the attack is 360 degrees around you.

Horses for courses really though.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Edit: I also should read my own loving posts.

To actually contribute a post I showed this game to my friend and he cracked up when I fought some big rear end crab and his main method of attack was to flail like an idiot. Didn't change the fact that he hit like a truck.

Trilin fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 16, 2013

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Cathair posted:

As near as I can tell, some places on the grid have a world boss, such as a Saurian, instead of a landmark location. Others seem to have nothing at all.

Portals are always surrounded by a circle of vertically oblong stones, and the name will show up on your screen when you get fairly close, as with other landmarks. They don't show up on your map unless you zoom very far in, though, even when you're teleporting from another portal. Hope you've got a decent memory! Pardon me if you knew all this already, just trying to help.

Speaking of new content, I ran into a quest the other day that had crossed swords over the town. It told me to "Besiege Serok Den in Seron City". Couldn't find anything nearby to kill, though. People on the Cube World forums have made the same reports, so it looks like there's new quest types already in the works.

There was a Saurian there, I killed it and realised there wasn't a dungeon and went YES PORTAL, cue an hour of scouring the land that felt like 10 minutes for nothing.

E: is it just me or are bosses in valleys and mountain ranges so much harder than literally everything else. There are soooo many extra mobs that just come and poo poo on you.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 16, 2013

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
The bosses on top of those rock spires always poo poo on me.

I don't know why I think it's going to be any different the next time, I keep loving climbing them. :smith:

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
Are you supposed to be a particular level before you attempt those "Defeat the leader of X" missions, because our group of 3 levels 16-20 are completely outmatched in those missions. We can get them too maybe 1/2 life but eventually they manage to kill all three of us at once and then they regen back to full health.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Its less about levels and more about technique...especially if you have 3 people, try not to all attack from the front so it doesn't hit you all at one time.

What kind of mob was it? Some are just really a pain in the rear end.

I was fighting a +3 beetle earlier that had a dash type attack, and even if I kept myself topped off, if I didn't dodge his dash he would one shot me. Took me 3 tries as I mis-timed a dodge the first few. Probably a 5 or 6 minute fight as well.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
You can kite things around forever, as long as you don't leash them. I've beat down bosses with my friends that were so high overleveled that it took us 20+ minutes and would kill us instantly if we got hit by any attacks. We managed it by just having people go into evasive maneuvers while the others ran back.

Gliders are sweet for this because you can just jump up and away.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

tooterfish posted:

All of a ninja's special attacks count as a dodge, doesn't matter what weapons you're using (this includes your leap and shuriken abilities too).

People like longswords, because you can spam left click and do decent AOE.

There's also the theory that since the longsword special attack has more animation frames, you get a longer dodge effect. Personally, I think this is complete bollocks and that you get 0.6 seconds worth no matter what weapon you have.

I prefer fist weapons. Longsword's special only hits to the front, and has an annoying lunge that can take you past enemies. With fist you still get a stun, but the attack is 360 degrees around you.

Horses for courses really though.

People like longswords because they do more spike damage. When you're getting most of your damage from your special attacks, and those special attacks are coming at roughly the same intervals whether you're using a fist or a longsword, the fact that longswords do more damage per attack makes them better. The main advantage of fist weapons, being able to fill your mana really fast, isn't that helpful to a ninja since you get much of your mana from dodges/specials. While the longsword special only hits to the front, it has a bit of an arc and significant range, which means it often hits enemies through other enemies. If you're moving slightly backwards and fighting a lot of mobs, it can be more AoE than your left-click. Fist weapons hit all around you but don't have the range.

Also, fists and longswords have the exact same lunge. I just tested this; go stand in the center of one of the checkerboard squares in the rogue trainer's building, and a right-click attack with either weapon type will carry you about to the center of the next square. I don't know why you're having trouble going past enemies, since I have never, ever had that happen. The lunge will push enemies, even bosses, rather than you sliding off them.

I'll grant you that fist weapons are fun to use- get over 200% tempo and you're basically Kenshiro, it's awesome. With wind spirits, even more so. Longswords just get better results damage-wise, though.

Anyway, I don't see what's so hard about rogue bosses getting auto-crit on dodge, because the damage they do on said crits is significantly lower and more manageable than when some other kinds of boss crit. It's more like a consistent damage buff, you usually have time to respond and recover. When a warrior boss with a two-hander crits you, you're toast, no second chance unless you were completely topped off on health. Rogue bosses also don't do a whole lot of damage, relative to other types, when they're not critting. Staff mages are worse anyway without the need for crits, putting out so much consistent, hard-to-dodge damage and not giving you time to build up any combo.

Actually, I'm inclined to argue that mobs shouldn't be able to crit at all. Against high-damage mobs (like bosses) you get the same problem as Torchlight II- sometimes you're going to die and there's just nothing you can do, even with an otherwise perfectly sound strategy, just because of random chance. Granted, this would require significant reworking of mob classes, since mobs use player classes right now and some of them are built around crits. I think it'd make for a better game, though.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Trilin posted:

The bosses on top of those rock spires always poo poo on me.

I don't know why I think it's going to be any different the next time, I keep loving climbing them. :smith:

Because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjgPh4SEmU

At least that's why I keep doing it. There's just something about this game, if you just keep going the extra mile it's like the entire game is an 80's montage about a medieval warrior/mage/rogue/ranger and his/her will to survive. The first time I had a 1 on 1 duel with a mammoth on the top of a mountain in a snow biome, with him trumpeting and crashing around and me dodging around, I just :allears: and it keeps getting better. Playing with friends is fun too, but starting a character and soloing as hard as you can is a special kind of fun.

Edit: also, I discovered today that you can ride duckbills :allears:

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 16, 2013

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bauxite posted:

Because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjgPh4SEmU

At least that's why I keep doing it. There's just something about this game, if you just keep going the extra mile it's like the entire game is an 80's montage about a medieval warrior/mage/rogue/ranger and his/her will to survive. The first time I had a 1 on 1 duel with a mammoth on the top of a mountain in a snow biome, with him trumpeting and crashing around and me dodging around, I just :allears: and it keeps getting better. Playing with friends is fun too, but starting a character and soloing as hard as you can is a special kind of fun.

Edit: also, I discovered today that you can ride duckbills :allears:

Yeah exactly. I was on Danith's server earlier, and the other guy there was like level 3300. I was up on one of those huge plateaus fighting a boss, and had died a few times, and he was on his way out to me to help, but I was hoping I would finish it off before he got there (I did).

After one or two deaths I just kind of go "ok gently caress this, its time to kill this thing".

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cathair posted:

People like longswords because they do more spike damage. When you're getting most of your damage from your special attacks, and those special attacks are coming at roughly the same intervals whether you're using a fist or a longsword, the fact that longswords do more damage per attack makes them better. The main advantage of fist weapons, being able to fill your mana really fast, isn't that helpful to a ninja since you get much of your mana from dodges/specials. While the longsword special only hits to the front, it has a bit of an arc and significant range, which means it often hits enemies through other enemies. If you're moving slightly backwards and fighting a lot of mobs, it can be more AoE than your left-click. Fist weapons hit all around you but don't have the range.
Like I said, horses for courses. But fist weapons definitely don't lunge at all on their special, you just spin in place.

I'm confident Wollay will normalize damage for special attacks eventually, (otherwise two handed weapons are always the better choice, which isn't fun), so that's not really relevant.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Combo posted:

Yeah exactly. I was on Danith's server earlier, and the other guy there was like level 3300. I was up on one of those huge plateaus fighting a boss, and had died a few times, and he was on his way out to me to help, but I was hoping I would finish it off before he got there (I did).

After one or two deaths I just kind of go "ok gently caress this, its time to kill this thing".

Now that I have gear this doesn't happen nearly as much but I would spend minutes climbing a rock only to get to the top and realize I can't even scratch the fucker. :qq:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

tooterfish posted:

Like I said, horses for courses. But fist weapons definitely don't lunge at all on their special, you just spin in place.

But they do? :confused:

Here, I made a little video. I charge up mana on a dummy with a longsword, go center my character on the cornermost square of the rogue area's grid, and click rmb. It carries me forward about to the center of the next square. Then I equip two fists, charge up, get in position, click rmb, and- the exact same thing happens, only my character is doing a spinning roundhouse instead of a stab. If anything, it looks like it carries you further, although that may just be imperfect positioning on my part.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cathair posted:

But they do? :confused:

Here, I made a little video. I charge up mana on a dummy with a longsword, go center my character on the cornermost square of the rogue area's grid, and click rmb. It carries me forward about to the center of the next square. Then I equip two fists, charge up, get in position, click rmb, and- the exact same thing happens, only my character is doing a spinning roundhouse instead of a stab. If anything, it looks like it carries you further, although that may just be imperfect positioning on my part.
Hah, that's happening because your tempo is so loving high you're getting dodge frames tacked on to the end of the attack animation! You don't do a flip with either the longsword or fist weapon animations normally. What's happening is you're effectively frame cancelling, the dodge part of the ninja passive is getting animated instead, and that's flipping you forwards.

Make a level 1 rogue, or remove all your tempo gear, and then try it. You'll see the longsword has a very pronounced lunge, whereas fist weapons spin you in place with maybe a tiny bit of forward movement.

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 16, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Okay so this is $15 or €15.00? Because the OP says $15, but buying it takes me to Paypal for €15.00, which is more like $20.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Okay so this is $15 or €15.00? Because the OP says $15, but buying it takes me to Paypal for €15.00, which is more like $20.

It's €15. The OP is a mistake.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
I guess the hype train and the novelty of this game wore off super quick. Officially July 16th. It's been three days since anyone has actually posted about the game here, other than two posts on the games price. Hopefully he can put out some interesting updates for the game quickly to keep the game interesting.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah I wish I didn't buy it. Its not worth 20 bux. Its more along the lines of a game that should have been released for free.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Baloogan posted:

Yeah I wish I didn't buy it. Its not worth 20 bux. Its more along the lines of a game that should have been released for free.

I got about 14 hours of playtime out of the game, purely in co-op with 3 others. We're all kind of in a holding pattern on updates as we don't want to burn ourselves out on the game before it has more content in it.

A few of the fan sites are hugely crazy busy with people ranting on about the game.

I've spent more money, on games that have given me less hours. It wasn't a waste in my mind.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
That's a bit absurd. I'm not saying you can't regret your purchase, but saying the game should be free (worthless) just makes you sound like a pouty baby.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Freeciv is free. OpenTTD is free. Saying a game should be free isn't the same as calling a game worthless.

Nethack is free. Barkleysomething something gaiden is free. Cave story is free.

Dwarf fortress is free.

I think this game is outclassed by all of the above games. And I don't think those above games are worthless either.

I'm trying to warn people away from making the same mistake I did: buying this game.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Baloogan posted:

Freeciv is free. OpenTTD is free. Saying a game should be free isn't the same as calling a game worthless.

Dwarf fortress is free.

I think this game is outclassed by all of the above games. And I don't think those above games are worthless either.

I'm trying to warn people away from making the same mistake I did: buying this game.

Those games are finished games. Cube is an alpha. Your money is a way to help him spend more time to develop and finish the game.
Cube has a ton of potential. $20 is hardly any money. I have paid $40-$60 on many games and played them under an hour. At least this game has given me many hours of fun just messing around. When it gets updated a bit more, I will most definitely be playing more.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You can buy my copy if you want.
Dwarf fortress is an alpha too.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Baloogan posted:

You can buy my copy if you want.
Dwarf fortress is an alpha too.

I remember when I bought minecraft, back in alpha or whenever, and I still have yet to get as much satisfaction out of that game as I have Cube World, but you don't see me making GBS threads up the Minecraft thread.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Baloogan posted:

Dwarf fortress is free.

So every (independently-developed) video game should be free? Besides, the reason why Freeciv and OpenTTD are free are because they're not original properties.

As a counterpoint: I bought Cube World as soon as I could and am still enjoying the exploration and combat, the latter of which has me putting more hours into it than Torchlight II is so far (another 20-dollar game!).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Heavy Lobster posted:

So every (independently-developed) video game should be free? Besides, the reason why Freeciv and OpenTTD are free are because they're not original properties.

No. But this one strikes me as a videogame that I'd still be disappointed in if it were free.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I see a lot of promise in this game, I want to support the developer. If someone else thinks the same, they'll probably enjoy the game and be okay paying 20USD to support the developer.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Your disappointment is due to your perspective.

I didn't pay $20 to play an alpha version of the game. I invested $20 with Picroma to continue developing the game and to receive the finished version at a lower cost than I would if I bought the game after it is complete.

I had a good couple of days of enjoyment with trying out the mechanics, but I put it down when I started to feel a little burnt out. Unlike Minecraft, which gives you a sandbox to play in once you've worked out the mechanics, there is only so much you can do to make your own fun after a while.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

There really just isn't enough to this game yet. I still feel like it was nowhere near ready to be sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Vargs posted:

There really just isn't enough to this game yet. I still feel like it was nowhere near ready to be sold.

You bought an alpha. It's on the logo. Why is that so difficult to understand?

• Locked thread