Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obelisk
Mar 17, 2013
2 more questions:

How geographically diverse do FSOs tend to be with their posts? Is it good/bad for your career not to specialize in one particular geographic area?

Is it possible to return to the same post more than once at different times? What if you really love one particular post. Can you hope to go back there later in your career?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Obelisk posted:

Is it possible to return to the same post more than once at different times? What if you really love one particular post. Can you hope to go back there later in your career?

Yes. Multiple people here have served here in the past, including the Ambassador.

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

problematique posted:

I could never pay that much, unless it was like four people or I was expensing it. The 5A bus goes directly from Dulles airport to Rosslyn Metro every half hour for like $6...

I'll check that out if I have to do a Dulles flight again. I prefer Reagan but at least my flight was direct SFO-Dulles no stop overs.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

problematique posted:

I could never pay that much, unless it was like four people or I was expensing it. The 5A bus goes directly from Dulles airport to Rosslyn Metro every half hour for like $6...

Unless things are different stateside, our rule at post was that if you are on per diem and are authorized taxi, anything less than $75 is reimbursable without a receipt. Since it's part of his move, I don't see why this wouldn't be covered.

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!

the_chavi posted:

Congrats and condolences, y'all. As in previous seasons, I'm happy to offer edits on QEP responses - just drop me a PM more than 72 hours before your poo poo is due.

Diplomaticus posted:

Same offer here.

I will hopefully be ready to send out my PNQs for review tomorrow! Would you prefer that I send them through PM or email? And thank you for taking the time to respond!

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Diplomaticus posted:

Unless things are different stateside, our rule at post was that if you are on per diem and are authorized taxi, anything less than $75 is reimbursable without a receipt. Since it's part of his move, I don't see why this wouldn't be covered.

that is the general per diem rule (OMB), I believe. can't quote you the exact regulation but it's the same at almost every agency, even when submitting reimbursement slips while contracting in the private sector. The only exception is airfare, lodging or automotives (rarely approved). You always have to submit those reciepts regardless of how much they cost you.

Taxis for business purpose are authorized stateside. It depends of course, but I've never seen them not-authorized. To/from the airport should not even be given a second glance, but taking one for a trip around town is a different story.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

OurIntrepidHero posted:

I will hopefully be ready to send out my PNQs for review tomorrow! Would you prefer that I send them through PM or email? And thank you for taking the time to respond!

PMs are fine. If you let me know the deadline in the PM that'd be best.

Skandiaavity posted:

Taxis for business purpose are authorized stateside. It depends of course, but I've never seen them not-authorized. To/from the airport should not even be given a second glance, but taking one for a trip around town is a different story.

Yeah, I was referring to taxis only. Point is that if he wanted to take the taxi back from Dulles, it kind of sucks that it's expensive up front, but he should get it back in the end.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

OurIntrepidHero posted:

PM me your email address and I'll give you mine - I will work from a word doc.

Chinoosha
May 14, 2013
I joined SA a few months ago after finding this thread almost 2 years ago. As a lawyer, this thread struck a nerve. The knowledge base here has been invaluable. I have a question about security clearances and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. I passed the OA last July and had my security interview less than a month later. It was investigated until December and has been "pending adjudication" over 6 months now. I never had a single follow up and I cant get any further info by phone or email. I lived/worked in Russia 10 years ago and am married to a Russian citizen(now US citizen), so I expected some delay, but 6 months? I even passed the FSOT again this year and have an invite to the OA again in a few months. The worst part is that, as a veteran and Russian speaker, I have a fairly competitive score. Does anyone have any suggestions, or I am just stuck waiting. I've read elsewhere of people contacting their Congressman, but that doesnt seem like a good idea to me. I just have a hard time understanding how it can take over 6 months to adjudicate. There, done venting. Any thoughts? Thanks

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

Diplomaticus posted:

This was a personal trip that I took. When we moved on orders we had two towne cars pick us up at Dulles. We wouldn't have fit in a taxi.

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child

Strudelmeyer posted:

Gave dirtbag my ## and have no problem with passing that on to you.

Just flew back from California today. They do the on board safety briefing as they drive you by the Asiana wreck and tell you to pay attention.

Also I took the taxi back from Dulles today. I don't know if anyone is flying in from there but it was $52 to my door in Rosslyn +tip. The meter read about $42 as we passed the Falls Church exit. The guy didn't charge me for the kids but each added adult adds $1.50.

Just realized I didn't get the email from you with your number - could you please resend?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chinoosha posted:

I joined SA a few months ago after finding this thread almost 2 years ago. As a lawyer, this thread struck a nerve. The knowledge base here has been invaluable. I have a question about security clearances and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. I passed the OA last July and had my security interview less than a month later. It was investigated until December and has been "pending adjudication" over 6 months now. I never had a single follow up and I cant get any further info by phone or email. I lived/worked in Russia 10 years ago and am married to a Russian citizen(now US citizen), so I expected some delay, but 6 months? I even passed the FSOT again this year and have an invite to the OA again in a few months. The worst part is that, as a veteran and Russian speaker, I have a fairly competitive score. Does anyone have any suggestions, or I am just stuck waiting. I've read elsewhere of people contacting their Congressman, but that doesnt seem like a good idea to me. I just have a hard time understanding how it can take over 6 months to adjudicate. There, done venting. Any thoughts? Thanks

Six months isn't bad at all, honestly... mine was 8 months with no experience abroad at all or foreign spouses.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
re: PNQ responses:

Should a candidate explicitily state how his actions/response show him to be a strong candidate? Or should that be left up to the panel to be extrapolated?

For instance, a line at the end of an answer that says something like

quote:

As a Political Officer I will continue to place primacy on my mission, rather than myself.

and

quote:

Success as a Political Officer will mean being both objective-driven and culturally sensitive.

Chinoosha
May 14, 2013

the_chavi posted:

Six months isn't bad at all, honestly... mine was 8 months with no experience abroad at all or foreign spouses.

I guess I wasnt that clear in my post, but it will be a year next week of waiting for my clearance. Were you waiting 8 months for adjudication, or 8 months total clearance time?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

This Personal Narrative stuff is kind of frustrating. I can write decent responses to the questions, but finding "verifiers" for each one of them is going to be tough if not impossible. It's like they're asking you to come up with five references, which is especially hard as a fresh college grad.

Obelisk
Mar 17, 2013
Verifiers are very different from references. For example, I'm using friends as verifiers for two of my PNs and I would never use friends as references. It is true that this stage seems to give older applicants, like me, an advantage as we have more stories to choose from. I can't imagine doing this straight out of college.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

If I cite multiple examples in an answer (ex: "I am a good fit for A because, having done X, Y and Z, I have some experience in these A-related fields"), do I just pick a verifier for one of the examples?

e: I also have a potential answer where a verifier was present for the tail-end of the story, but not for the whole of it (I traveled alone and met him at the end of the trip). Would that answer and verifier be workable, or should I choose a story where the verifier was present throughout the experience?

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 15, 2013

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I'd say roll with it as best you can if you like that answer; your verifiers don't even get contacted half the time anyway.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
Survived first day. Piece of advice, on your first day pack a snack, no guarantee you will have time to eat lunch.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

SCRwM posted:

Survived first day. Piece of advice, on your first day pack a snack, no guarantee you will have time to eat lunch.

Always stuff your pockets, particularly the breast pocket of a shirt, full with cheetos. This is Goon 101.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

AgentSythe posted:

Always stuff your pockets, particularly the breast pocket of a shirt, full with cheetos. This is Goon 101.

Dr. Pepper, BBQ potato chips, and a peanut butter cookie. Lunch of IMS champs!

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
Alright, so I'm thinking we can do something this Thursday if people are around. We'll head to Ireland's Four Corners in Arlington - http://www.yelp.com/biz/irelands-four-courts-arlington

It's a fairly equidistant place for people in the city and newcomers (especially for the Oakwood dwellers), and is easily accessible from the Court House metro stop.

This is completely casual, informal, not official etc etc. Come out of work or dress down, this place is easy. Current FS/State GS are welcome, as well as trainees and future hopefuls.

Basically bring whomever and have a drink or something, I don't care.

We'll shoot for 6-6:30.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Homie S posted:

Alright, so I'm thinking we can do something this Thursday if people are around. We'll head to Ireland's Four Corners in Arlington - http://www.yelp.com/biz/irelands-four-courts-arlington

It's a fairly equidistant place for people in the city and newcomers (especially for the Oakwood dwellers), and is easily accessible from the Court House metro stop.

This is completely casual, informal, not official etc etc. Come out of work or dress down, this place is easy. Current FS/State GS are welcome, as well as trainees and future hopefuls.

I'll be there.

We decided not to do name tags, but I would like to encourage everyone to show up wearing masks made from their forum avatars. this will be easy for Homie S since he just used a picture of himself.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Bruxism posted:

I'll be there.

We decided not to do name tags, but I would like to encourage everyone to show up wearing masks made from their forum avatars. this will be easy for Homie S since he just used a picture of himself.

Exactly, although for you it's sort of easier cause we can just hear you from anywhere around the bar when your teeth grind.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

Homie S posted:

I'll try to make it as a future-ims-but-currently-forever-stuck-in-adjudication-hopeful. Will it be obvious what group I should head toward? I'll be the ruggedly handsome tall goon.

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child

SCRwM posted:

Another bit of advice - take a taxi both ways on your first day, especially in July. That walk to the metro in Foggy Bottom was a bit uncomfortable in yesterday's weather.

The total cab fare in the morning came out to $3 each for 4 people - totally worth it.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

d1rtbag posted:

Another bit of advice - take a taxi both ways on your first day, especially in July. That walk to the metro in Foggy Bottom was a bit uncomfortable in yesterday's weather.

The total cab fare in the morning came out to $3 each for 4 people - totally worth it.

+1000 on this one. I think my suit was still drying out last night.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Welcome to summer in DC. Wait until the air condition breaks in a metro station with a 15+ minute wait for your train. Which also has no working AC because :wmata:.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

Homie S posted:

I should be able to make it as it is just a few blocks from me.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
PS: if you want to sound like you come from DC, you'll refer to it as "Four P's."

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

When I was in Chennai last year during the hottest part of the south Indian summer people kept on asking me how bad I thought the heat was. It was very hot, no doubt, but none of the Indians believed me that DC really isn't that much better.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've never actually been to Four Courts, so I'll probably drop by.

Any of your IMS types worked in Beijing? How's the work culture there? And how micro-managed is the network team by IRM? I'm finally seeing a bit more traffic regarding the contract I'm being recruited for and I'm trying to figure out whether or not I still want to do it.

e: I have PMs if you don't want to answer publicly.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

psydude posted:

I've never actually been to Four Courts, so I'll probably drop by.

Any of your IMS types worked in Beijing? How's the work culture there? And how micro-managed is the network team by IRM? I'm finally seeing a bit more traffic regarding the contract I'm being recruited for and I'm trying to figure out whether or not I still want to do it.

e: I have PMs if you don't want to answer publicly.

I didn't work in Beijing (aside from a few TDYs) but I do know the IRM staff there. They don't seem micro-managing at all to me (with possibly 1 exception who needed micro-managing).

Also, one of my friends was a contractor there prior to becoming a direct hire. I can reach out to her if you want.

I don't have PMs, but you might be able to get my email from SCRwM or someone.

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

Diplomaticus posted:

Welcome to summer in DC. Wait until the air condition breaks in a metro station with a 15+ minute wait for your train. Which also has no working AC because :wmata:.

Sounds like my day yesterday. At least it was just some cars that were no AC so we switched cars.
Trying to make Four Courts happen. My day there is Monday when they do team trivia. We didn't do too well last night though.

Obelisk
Mar 17, 2013
The chavi and others -can I PM you my PNs? Deadline is July 23rd. I can send them out later today.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Obelisk posted:

The chavi and others -can I PM you my PNs? Deadline is July 23rd. I can send them out later today.
May I echo this request for myself, too?

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
Count me in to help on those PNQs. I mercifully have a few days off and would love to get my mind off work.

I'll be driving back from NC the night of the happy hour, so I'll try to be there if I'm back in time.

ScottyJ1
Jun 12, 2013
I too would be happy to send PNQs to anyone who could help with them. Please let me know by PM or a post.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011
In case people were curious. My 2nd tour will be in Berlin Oct 2014. Huzzah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

mtreecorner posted:

In case people were curious. My 2nd tour will be in Berlin Oct 2014. Huzzah.

Awesome! What's the job?

Do you have the language? If you don't already speak German I hear the FSI program is a real uphill battle. I had a couple friends go through it and the language and time constraints made for quite a few headaches.