Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Speaking of griefing chivalry:

Find a free-for-all server and pick MAA with the oil pot that sets people on fire when you throw it at them. Then, find two people dueling and, after they each get a few hits in, set them both on fire. If you manage to kill one of them with this they will be furious and if you kill both they'll probably both start going after you directly. This works best on maps with ammo so you can keep doing it forever without having to die to get more fire. Fire doesn't do huge damage but is completely unblockable and has the added bonus that flaming corpses never stop screaming so if you're successful then as the round goes on the background noise will be filled with "AAAAAAAAAAAA OH GOD IT BURNS" dozens of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Farb
Aug 6, 2009

I'd give you a ride, but I got Karl Farbman here.

Otisburg posted:

UO barrels

Barrels were also a way to trap people on otherwise inaccessible roofs.

I ran with LuT and Neutral Galad on Sonoma who was famous for gating people to spots from which they couldn't escape. Barrels were a great way to get access to these areas and mark a rune (which you could later cast "Gate Travel" on to open a portal that anyone could use to teleport to that spot). You could drop a barrel on a tile, move on top of it and fill it with water, log out and back in, and the server wouldn't know what to do with you besides sending you straight up. If there was a roof above you, you'd be on top of it. Open up a gate at any highly-traveled area, and then cast Magic Dispel on the exit portal on the other side, and anyone who entered was essentially stuck there, barring them using magic of their own to get down. You can't simply run or jump off the roof. At the time, the only option was submitting a ticket and hoping a GM responded to you in a timely manner (they wouldn't).

Here's an example with a circa-1999 website layout to demonstrate what I mean:
http://galad.5u.com/Episodes/E9/Index.html

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Not sure if Team Avolition has been brought up in this thread before but they've recently made a comeback :D

Their latest (first part however) of a new Minecraft griefing thing. They've been around for a long time and have griefed many servers. They've done things like level entire villages and just planted trees all over it to make it look like it was never there. They even found someone so stupid at one point that he actually helped them deconstruct and forest his own plot of land. They've taken apart massive creations on plenty of servers, hacked and gained creative, been in fights with Reddit when they griefed and hacked on the Reddit servers, even receiving legal threats (some members of Reddit even joined up with them!) and have just generally made a total mockery of whatever server they were on. They've mass-banned innocent players to showcase the faults of MCbans and have generally made the biggest impact griefing-wise on the game. Ironically, they even got to play with Notch in a match of Quake. I highly recommend their videos!

Also they became so popular that someone made a trailer for their griefing and I think it does a good job of teasing the majority of their videos.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 14, 2013

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zaodai posted:

If we're talking about the same post, the un-edited version should still exist where I quoted him before he could edit it out to try and avoid moderation.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing the straight man in that thread. I think it was the same one where he openly suggested that the "real" MWO players hack Something Awful and destroy the forums to counter-grief us.

[EDIT]Just like Nazi holocausts.

Wow, that wasn't the one I was thinking of. I was thinking of "Adridos", the 15 year old who loathed goons for no good reason and even sent one guy forum pms asking for him to change the faction we were aligned to as he didn't want us tainting his glorious house Liao.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fil5000 posted:

Wow, that wasn't the one I was thinking of. I was thinking of "Adridos", the 15 year old who loathed goons for no good reason and even sent one guy forum pms asking for him to change the faction we were aligned to as he didn't want us tainting his glorious house Liao.

Adridos is in that thread. He was the core douchebag of the argument. Maybe your mind just attributed the holocaust comment to him because he made so many other stupid comments?

I know mine did until I found the thread and realized it was a one-off post by some other random rear end in a top hat.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Team Avolition have the distinction of producing the only griefing videos that I have found hilarious despite the fact that they often use hacks.

One of their few non-minecraft videos is one of my favorites. Everyone else is playing DayZ, while they play DELTA SQUAD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwNZGqOkf4Y

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dauntasa posted:

Speaking of griefing chivalry:

Find a free-for-all server and pick MAA with the oil pot that sets people on fire when you throw it at them. Then, find two people dueling and, after they each get a few hits in, set them both on fire. If you manage to kill one of them with this they will be furious and if you kill both they'll probably both start going after you directly. This works best on maps with ammo so you can keep doing it forever without having to die to get more fire. Fire doesn't do huge damage but is completely unblockable and has the added bonus that flaming corpses never stop screaming so if you're successful then as the round goes on the background noise will be filled with "AAAAAAAAAAAA OH GOD IT BURNS" dozens of times.

Whelp I know what I'm doing for the rest of the night

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And you should definitely go in bare handed. There's nothing duellers hate more than bare knuckled people fisting them to death.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Zohn posted:

Team Avolition have the distinction of producing the only griefing videos that I have found hilarious despite the fact that they often use hacks.

One of their few non-minecraft videos is one of my favorites. Everyone else is playing DayZ, while they play DELTA SQUAD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwNZGqOkf4Y

I don't like hackers either, but I lost it at the news ticker.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SynthOrange posted:

....bare knuckled people fisting them to death.

Oof, what a way to go. Not something you want on a tombstone.

"Died while receiving a bare knuckled fisting."

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Lunethex posted:

Oh please tell me you have some records :(

I would kill to see some of that. Hell, you don't even need catapults, just chop their heads off. For some reason it's more hilarious that way. ESPECIALLY when they're in a fight.

*I haven't played Medieval Warfare but I've seen Goroncity grief Age of Chivalry that source mod.

I didn't bother to take any screencaps or anything because it's not really too hard to accomplish. If I do it again, I'll grab some caps.

Basically, the benefit the 'pult has over just randomly skewering your teammates is twofold: they are unable to see it coming because no one expects to be shelled while they push the cart or whatever out of it's spawn, an area usually completely safe, including the catapult that's on your side of the river, and they are unable to retaliate because the damage is instant once it lands, it has a small splash, and it's an instant-kill.

You probably won't last long, however, once those 9 bodies you just pulverized respawn.

E: Forgot to mention but at one point early on someone called a kickvote on me, but the entire other team voted "No" and I guess a few of our guys either didn't vote or they thought it was funny so they also voted "No", leaving me free reign to make it rain.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

E: Forgot to mention but at one point early on someone called a kickvote on me, but the entire other team voted "No" and I guess a few of our guys either didn't vote or they thought it was funny so they also voted "No", leaving me free reign to make it rain.

Kickvoting in Chivalry comes down to who is more annoying, the target, or the initiator. Whoever's less annoying will usually survive with the other getting kicked soon after. If they're both equally terrible then they dont last very long.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
A very simple thing I like to do when bored of TF2, is play Scout with the Baby Face Blaster and act like an enemy spy.
You can get your half your team chasing you vainly, just ignoring everything else. Accusations of using a god-mode hack too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

pylb posted:

A very simple thing I like to do when bored of TF2, is play Scout with the Baby Face Blaster and act like an enemy spy.
You can get your half your team chasing you vainly, just ignoring everything else. Accusations of using a god-mode hack too.

Why does this make you look like a spy? As far as I can tell, the baby face blaster just makes you run faster when you damage people.

Edit: Nvm, saw that it reduces move speed with no boost.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cojawfee posted:

Why does this make you look like a spy? As far as I can tell, the baby face blaster just makes you run faster when you damage people.

Edit: Nvm, saw that it reduces move speed with no boost.

Exactly. You can also accomplish this by using a USB controller and barely nudging the left stick.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Archonex posted:

Edit: Another good grief is to take someone's name and appearance and act like you're the real version of them. Usually while pretending the real person that's humping anything that gets close to the bar or is trying to create a cult of personality around themselves is an impostor trying to slander your good reputation.
This is a long while ago now, but standard pre-raid gatherings while a group of us on City of Heroes were preparing was to find a random player RP-ing with a Batman-esque "I'm a lone wolf" background, all change to variations of their costume, and follow him around while chatting to him and everyone around as though he was the junior partner in our superhero team. 10% of the time, they'd play along. 10%, they'd exit the game. 80% they'd try to stay in character as stoic/emo loners while trying to convince everyone and us that we had nothing to do with them.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Oh my god that is diabolical.

I die inside every time teammates resist being spy checked. There are those random idiots hanging out at the edges of the map who, when you run up at them, backpedal away never firing a shot to indicate they're not a spy. Then you finally catch them with a burst of flame and nothing happens... I would love to know what their thought process is behind acting like that because I am sure as poo poo they are not all trolling me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Oh god, is that pyro a spy? Is friendly fire on? Aaaaaaa!"

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Every TF2 player except for you is red/blue colorblind.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I die inside every time teammates resist being spy checked. There are those random idiots hanging out at the edges of the map who, when you run up at them, backpedal away never firing a shot to indicate they're not a spy. Then you finally catch them with a burst of flame and nothing happens... I would love to know what their thought process is behind acting like that because I am sure as poo poo they are not all trolling me.

It's me, I am this person. I do it just because it's funny. Especially back when free weekends were a thing, I'd do it to all the newbie pyros and see how many I could get to chase me around the map.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's even better when the idiot pyro chasing you around clearly has something like a shotgun or a flare gun that they can pop you with instead of wasting their time chasing you around.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I've been having some luck with a fake GTA V review I posted online. I hope this picks up and maybe I'll have tears to post here.

The trick was to get everything just slightly wrong and give it a good-but-not-stellar review.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Slappy Moose posted:

It's me, I am this person. I do it just because it's funny. Especially back when free weekends were a thing, I'd do it to all the newbie pyros and see how many I could get to chase me around the map.

I do it too. There's just something so fun about walking into the intel room and making a beeline for any exposed backs or turrets to make people think you're a spy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Cameron posted:

I've been having some luck with a fake GTA V review I posted online. I hope this picks up and maybe I'll have tears to post here.

The trick was to get everything just slightly wrong and give it a good-but-not-stellar review.

Could we perhaps have a copy of said review? I know of some external sites/forums that would probably explode at something like this.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Over in Dust we've been having a good laugh today. A couple of us have been ruining people's day with revive tools and stacked teams, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. We had a squad doing it last night, and someone decided to call us out on the official forum demanding we get banned or something. That was a nice laugh. Then someone else posted this:

quote:

No but really...why do this?

Deep down inside you have to answer why it gives you pleasure to not only kill a person, see their deaths rise, then revive and kill them again....

You are not getting pleasure from 'the contest'; the procedural correction of weaknesses toward a more precise mastery of a tool.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't even a productive tool. The game is only a tool insofar as it exists to entertain. It is a banal tool in that respect... If you think that you have mastered this tool in its ability to entertain by your 'original' behavior, future forms of addiction have another thing to teach you about mastery.

The reality that you must face is that at best you and your ilk are a Troll. Not the workaday cynic, bored, forum wh*re kind of troll. But the truly warped psyche that charges people an arbitrary and hope-killing tax on enjoying life. You are like the online version of why milk needs an expiration date. You are Rot -- digitally incarnated.

If this warms you on the inside...if this strikes you as quaint and incites feelings of personal satisfaction, connection, and existential enthusiasm, you very well just might be the pathological anti-hero that the video-game critics want so very badly to exist. You very well just might be some kind of twisted sadist. However, it is a tragically supressed sadism. It is one for which you truly need help.

You are very likely neurochemically trapped by the need to exploit, to reduce, and to destroy. Be warned...the dopamine receptors that are feeding this high will deaden. What you get from this habit, lust, and addiction that you may think is creative, or authentic will taper and be found wanting.

...then what...

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Griefers are literally serial killers waiting to happen

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.

Magres posted:

Griefers are literally serial killers waiting to happen

We're also sexual deviants and/or virgins who live a life of seclusion doing nothing but playing the one game we're currently causing tears in while simultaneously being hosed by/blowing men.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Regalingualius posted:

Could we perhaps have a copy of said review? I know of some external sites/forums that would probably explode at something like this.

Sure, just make sure to post links here to wherever you submit it to so we can watch the troll do its magic:

quote:

Rockstar Games is releasing their biggest and most expansive game ever for the XBOX 360 next month, causing hardcore gamers everywhere to herald the return of the mega-popular franchise. The series shifts from the east coast of Liberty City to the sun-soaked streets of San Andreas for the all-new chapter in the blockbuster series.

The huge game is a completely new benchmark for open-world multiplayer games, being the largest open-world game ever brought to the current generation of systems. From sweeping valleys and busy streets to arid desert and cascading waterfalls, the game looks and sounds gorgeous. The soundtrack is lush and riveting, with 10 new radio stations from artists such as 80′s music icon Kavinksi to talk-radio DJ and fan-favorite Lazlow. The graphics stretch the system to its fullest, and sometimes there are a few cracks in the veneer, but mostly it’s a tight package.

One of the biggest features of this game is the inclusion of three co-main characters, Michael, Franklin and Trevor. This puts a whole new spin on the story. Michael is a retired FBI witness protection agent who has given up his job to try and pursue and more relaxed lifestyle. Franklin is a gangster who is happy to get his money in the hood, whose sister is always telling him he’ll never be satisfied. Trevor is Michael’s oldest friend and a former con man, and together they attempt one last ditch effort to attain glory and a huge payoff by combining their skills to form a series of heists.

The main missions of the game all focus around a tightly-woven plot that closely resembles set pieces from the 1996 movie Heat. Almost all of the heists from Heat make an appearance here in this game, as do homages to several of its characters. There are even a few guest stars that make an appearance that may surprise you.

The game is chuck-full of things to do, from golf and para sailing mini-games, to dozens of customizable cars and over 10 weapons to upgrade. The mechanics of the game still come off as clunky on occasion, which has never been the series’ strength, but the fun of driving and causing massive havoc still stands above and beyond other shooters on the market today.

Overall, GTA V hits most of the high notes. The driving, acting and scenery are absolutely incomparable and GTAV returns to its roots by going back to San Andreas, and bringing a few new innovations along the way that are sure to give die-hard shooter fans what they’re craving while keeping the more casual free roam players satisfied.

Overall Score: 4/5.

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 15, 2013

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
We're also literally Hitler and our Griefs are literally the holocaust.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Abe Frohman posted:

I wouldn't have it any other way.

So Abe, you need to find an MMO where Chicago is a playable location, make a character with your name, and have a bunch of Goons be your flock of male prostitutes. It would both a great reference and would drive pubbies berserk.

Sausage King of Chicago indeed

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Cameron posted:

Sure, just make sure to post links here to wherever you submit it to so we can watch the troll do its magic:

Thanks. Got one thread up already, trying to decide where else that I can make a throwaway account for that I don't really frequent anyways.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29422047/preview-for-gtav

Oh, and in another thread over there, too! http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29420815/gta-5-vs-saints-row-4?msg_id=341047570#341047570

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 16, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Not bad, I think I'm going to try again with a longer review that has a ton of just completely made-up information about names and places, see if I can scare people a bit more.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Alright I just re-wrote it. I tried to keep most of the information real but I added in at least 20 completely fake characters, locations, and features. This is all just one flat-out lie.

Here's the Gamespot post I made

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 16, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
It's funny because everybody on Gamespot is just shrugging and saying "this is fake". Keep up your master trolling, it's clearly having an effect.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You put in way too much effort for something that was discovered immediately.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

It's funny because everybody on Gamespot is just shrugging and saying "this is fake". Keep up your master trolling, it's clearly having an effect.

Even if they thought it was real, who would it be griefing? The review says it's a decent game. Maybe I'm not a "hardcore" GTA sperg fan but nothing in the review looks out of place. I don't think this would upset or excite anyone, at all, ever.

Are you griefing this thread by encouraging people to read a long boring block of text with no punchline?

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Daman posted:

Even if they thought it was real, who would it be griefing? The review says it's a decent game. Maybe I'm not a "hardcore" GTA sperg fan but nothing in the review looks out of place. I don't think this would upset or excite anyone, at all, ever.

Majorly-hyped games tend to release to a storm of high scores across the board. When people take the opportunity to point out that these games aren't searing masterpieces and have flaws, maybe being good or great but not fantastic, then fans of the series go loving nuts. Sometimes independent reviewers deliberately score the games low to generate artificial outrage and traffic.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

StevenM posted:

Majorly-hyped games tend to release to a storm of high scores across the board. When people take the opportunity to point out that these games aren't searing masterpieces and have flaws, maybe being good or great but not fantastic, then fans of the series go loving nuts. Sometimes independent reviewers deliberately score the games low to generate artificial outrage and traffic.
When you're trolling people it helps if the game in question is actually, you know, finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanite
Apr 27, 2013
I know people like to whine on the internet, but I doubt many people will care if you insult a game by saying it's pretty good. Some fools would think that's not an insult at all.

• Locked thread