Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Zaphod42 posted:

Is there some strategy to him that I'm just missing? I mean, I can dodge his snakes just fine, but he moves all over the place, and the stage is so wonky in shape, I can't figure out how to jump over him or dash under him without getting hit each time he passes back and forth. :smith:

Iirc, you just have to try and occupy the center platform to jump over him and then get back on there asap to jump over him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zaphod42 posted:

Is there some strategy to him that I'm just missing? I mean, I can dodge his snakes just fine, but he moves all over the place, and the stage is so wonky in shape, I can't figure out how to jump over him or dash under him without getting hit each time he passes back and forth. :smith:

Whatever, on to wily's castle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2YQhS8yldc#t=3m25s Here's someone doing it without getting it. Snake Man always jumps at the ledges and always turns around just before reaching the end of the room. So if you want to win by attrition just stay right at the entrance and blast away, jumping up and a bit forward to avoid the snakes before going back into the corner. Or what you do is maneuver around the ledges so that he is jumping over you instead of the other way around.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Gortarius posted:

Thank you.

Game is beat. It wants to be a tie-in between classic and X series. This is the most anime quotes ending I've seen in my life, almost vomited.

Zero kills everyone, why is man playing god ? Wily just wanted to stop Light's overbearing use of science and go back to nature !

This is as anime as I can think it could be

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

skipThings posted:

Zero kills everyone, why is man playing god ? Wily just wanted to stop Light's overbearing use of science and go back to nature !

This is as anime as I can think it could be

What if, like, Mario was the villain all along maaaaaaannnqiuehqoiun4f

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Snake Man is pretty easy, just jump on the center platform as the battle begins, jump over him when he tries to do the same, repeat the same from the other side, repeat until he dies. Spark Man is a bastard however, dodging all his bullshit was always super hard for me, mostly because of the arena layout since the projectiles themselves are rather simple.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Waterfall of Salt posted:

It's a shame their goal was to make a Mega Man game that would "challenge even experienced Mega Man players" though. I see a lot of potential in the level designs, and the gimmicks are pretty well thought out at first but then they just throw out these bullshit parts and it just ruins the whole thing. Not to say the original games doesn't have things like that, because that Doc Needle Rush Jet segment is a pretty bad level design and then we have the Buubeam traps etc., It's just so frequent in MMU and it's terrible.

I think the worst about this is that people who grew up with Mega Man and remember the game fondly from their childhood are now in their late 20s to mid 30s now. We just don't have time for this poo poo. Give us a easy mode, hell call it a old fart mode, I don't care. The days of spending 2 hour+ on a single level are long gone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And unless you were impressively terrible or playing Guts Man's stage, you weren't spend 2+ hours on a single level to begin with.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

At least with Guts Man's stage you have an indicator of when the moving platforms tilt. It's quite challenging, but you don't have to make pixel-perfect jumps to beat it. Nor do you need to memorize the layout to have a chance at beating it.

Also more importantly, it's a fairly short stage with checkpoints in reasonable locations! Having just played the stage for the first time in years to refresh my memory, even with a few deaths I was able to beat the entire level faster than it takes to reach most checkpoints in MMU.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Guts Man's stage honestly isn't that bad. Now Ice Man, gently caress Ice Man.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Gammatron 64 posted:

Guts Man's stage honestly isn't that bad. Now Ice Man, gently caress Ice Man.

Iceman stage can be pretty tough but its short. Now Rainbowmans stage on the other hand.......................

Anyways, what other awful fangames are there?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Gortarius posted:

Iceman stage can be pretty tough but its short. Now Rainbowmans stage on the other hand.......................

Anyways, what other awful fangames are there?

I still don't know how I got through half that crap when I was 6/7.

Well if you want a palate cleanser from MM Revolution and Unlimited of average to really good there is Day in the Limelight 1 and 2. What have you played so far? I'm sorry if I keep bring up Day in the Limelight buts its basically my two favorite MM games merged into one.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Phil just posted something on the MMU facebook page.

quote:

Hi guys! Phil here. I just wanted to drop by and let you know how overwhelmed I am by this whole MMU thing. We never thought the bandwidth on the website would expldoe so much. I wanna thank you all for your nice comments on the game and seeing so many people who like the game makes it all worthwhile.
I'm really sorry for some of the bugs some of you have encountered and for the difficulty that might have turned off some of you.
For now we are going to rest a little bit and see how many issues we'll fix in the next update. We might try to adress the difficulty issue a bit too. We'll see.
I'll do my best to keep the site up to date and stuff. Again, thanks for all the love. We all appreciate it! - Phil
Emphasis mine. He mentioned on the forums that he's burnt out, but hopefully we'll see some improvements later on.

Almost all of the soundtrack is up here. There's some great tracks in there.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

BexGu posted:

I still don't know how I got through half that crap when I was 6/7.

Well if you want a palate cleanser from MM Revolution and Unlimited of average to really good there is Day in the Limelight 1 and 2. What have you played so far? I'm sorry if I keep bring up Day in the Limelight buts its basically my two favorite MM games merged into one.

I played some of those hardhat games, where you play as a hardhat. They are charmingly amateurish but suck nevertheless. I'll check the limelight poo poo out.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Gortarius posted:

I played some of those hardhat games, where you play as a hardhat. They are charmingly amateurish but suck nevertheless. I'll check the limelight poo poo out.

If you do, play the second one. The first is pretty rough around the edges. Jesus Christ, Air Man's stage in that game :smithicide:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This game is so Kaizo.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

AHungryRobot posted:

If you do, play the second one. The first is pretty rough around the edges. Jesus Christ, Air Man's stage in that game :smithicide:

Yeah, forgot to mention that. The second one is the best BUT it is pretty fun if you play both of them back to back to watch a developer get better and better with level design/gimmicks.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

BexGu posted:

Yeah, forgot to mention that. The second one is the best BUT it is pretty fun if you play both of them back to back to watch a developer get better and better with level design/gimmicks.

I think I've had my dose of the first game. It's just too clunky for me, I don't want to play it, especially after having player revolution and unlimited just before. I'll check part 2 now.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Gortarius posted:

I think I've had my dose of the first game. It's just too clunky for me, I don't want to play it, especially after having player revolution and unlimited just before. I'll check part 2 now.

Start with Snake Man. Airman's weapon is pretty powerful and the extra jump height gives him a bit more mobility compared to the other Robot Masters.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's this thing but it's more of a fighting game of sorts.

quakster posted:

Megaman fangames peaked with The Mega Wars. Back in 2005.

http://www.freewebs.com/best_quality/gamemakerprojects.htm

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Phil just posted something on the MMU facebook page.

Emphasis mine. He mentioned on the forums that he's burnt out, but hopefully we'll see some improvements later on.

That's good to hear. It's no surprise that he's had his fill of working on the game for now, so it's understandable to take a break on it and get around to fixing issues with it sooner rather than never.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quakster posted:

There's this thing but it's more of a fighting game of sorts.

That's... actually a really cool idea. I mean mega man kinda played around with fighting games, but those all kinda messed it up and got everything wrong as far as I could tell.

But a game which is just like boss fights from classic mm but somebody else plays as the boss... that's pretty awesome :aaa:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Zero going crazy and killing off the MM cast has been part of fandom for like 15 years.

Yeah, Inafune said that's not really likely, but it's the best reason anyone can come up with at the moment as to why none of MM remains in the future.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Mister Roboto posted:

Zero going crazy and killing off the MM cast has been part of fandom for like 15 years.

Yeah, Inafune said that's not really likely, but it's the best reason anyone can come up with at the moment as to why none of MM remains in the future.

Protoman has that illness that will eventually kill him, Mega Man turns into Quint and is destroyed in MMV(GB), and considering the MM9 robot masters have expiration dates, it's not too far a stretch to believe the rest of the robots do as well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

and considering the MM9 robot masters have expiration dates, it's not too far a stretch to believe the rest of the robots do as well.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Oil Man on fire off the shoulder Heat Man. I watched mega busters glitter in the dark near Shadow Man's gate. All these moments will be lost like 1-ups into a pit. Time to die."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mister Roboto posted:

That's dumb. Wily and Light died of old age, obviously. It's not clear what happened to Mega Man, Roll, Bass, and Proto Man, but it's not difficult to assume they'd eventually shut down or be destroyed (especially Bass and Proto Man). Mega Man never did have full sentience, so it's likely that once he knew for sure Wily wouldn't come back, he just went back to being a lab assistant and not doing much.

Light's work on X and his designs for what eventually became the Reploids was hidden away because he didn't want to move ahead on any of it until he knew for sure that X's enhanced neural abilities and complete immunity to the 3 laws of robotics were going to be safe. He didn't want to have an uncontrollable crazy robot running around.

It's not like anything else needs to be explained. Presumably, "mechaniloid" and Robot Master technology was still the standard by the time Cain dug up the hidden Light Lab.

We don't get a big bow that ties up what happened to every single character because the answer to most would be "they died somehow", and they wanted to be able to make more classic Mega Man games if they felt like it.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
It's not an unreasonable assumption. X4, quoth Dr. Wily in Zero's dreams: "He is my nemesis. Our rivalry is what gives me motivation in life. Now go, destroy him." Cut to Zero standing around with blood on his hands and smashed robot bits laying everywhere. Then at the end it's revealed that his original state was a complete loving nut who thought chopping a dude's arm off with a lead pipe was the funniest thing ever.

It would almost be sort of stupid if Zero didn't end the classic era with a murderous rampage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hobo Siege posted:

It would almost be sort of stupid if Zero didn't end the classic era with a murderous rampage.

What the gently caress kind of ending for a cute platforming series would that be? I guarantee that most people who didn't read terrible sprite comics and fanfics wouldn't assume this is how it went down.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

It IS unreasonable, the original and X games have very different tone and themes despite happening in the same timeline, the original ending with Zero killing everyone is way too dark for the "saturday morning cartoon" feel the original series has. It'd be as if... I dunno... one of those silly webcomics about video gamers suddenly making the main girl have a miscarriage.

If I were to make up an ending to the original games "plot" I'd have it set several years after the games, with Light and Wily both dead of old age, and Mega Man accepting that his time is long over and it's time for the new generation, volunteering to be deactivated and put on a museum.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously you guys need to read the Mega Man comic from Brazil, it's all totally clear!

Wily gets arrested and Mega Man and Roll's models are banned. Light stores them secretly in capsules for 30 years where they receive upgrades. Wily and some murder robots take over the world, Dr. Light dies of old age waiting on the 30 year capsules. So uh...everyone from the cast but Dr. Light and Rush survives, I guess. Mega Man, Roll, Proto Man, Bass, X, and Zero all co-exist in the same time.

And then a bald dude rips out hearts to summon aliens, or something.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Hobo Siege posted:

It's not an unreasonable assumption. X4, quoth Dr. Wily in Zero's dreams: "He is my nemesis. Our rivalry is what gives me motivation in life. Now go, destroy him." Cut to Zero standing around with blood on his hands and smashed robot bits laying everywhere. Then at the end it's revealed that his original state was a complete loving nut who thought chopping a dude's arm off with a lead pipe was the funniest thing ever.

Except that would totally go against what Infaune made the series for.

Infaune doesn't want anyone dying. Hell he was pretty disappointed from that FPS Megaman Adventure game because Roll can die.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I'm completely ok with Zero rampage being the canonical transition as long as it stays ambiguous, which the real games were handling just fine. It can easily fit into Zero's story from "the rest of the good games". But if you try to reveal it, you end up with the Star Wars prequels, haphazardly telling a story that your audience doesn't care to hear and which can never be as compelling as the story of the character's redemption.

This is, of course, realizing that we are talking about story in Megaman games and it probably isn't worth really getting truly frustrated about if Capcom ever does come back to flesh out the gaps in dumb ways.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 16, 2013

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
As much as I hate all that is darkgrim in the X series, I have to remind you that it started in Megaman7 in which Megaman wants to kill Wily in the end and Bass has to save Wily from him.
So all of this has begun much sooner than X4.

Also, Classic ended as Wily built Zero instead of eight other robots, but Zero didn't do the poo poo he was supposed to do, as he was a reploid, then Dr.Light copied the reploid technology for X while Zero just hang around places and everyone told Light to stop making robots , also reploids as Wily did it first this time, so Wily got his final two minutes of fame before they both croaked of being really loving old.

centuries later Cain finds deactivated reploids to shoot at things.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
So... At the risk of inciting a horrible train wreck...

Anyone want to make a go of a fan game? One of the things we criticize is a lack of playtesting. There are plenty of us to play test.

I have NO applicable skills outside of some writing experience, but I downloaded Game maker on Steam, so there's that. That's helpful, yes?

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Shindragon posted:

Except that would totally go against what Infaune made the series for.

Infaune doesn't want anyone dying. Hell he was pretty disappointed from that FPS Megaman Adventure game because Roll can die.

I'm just saying, it's the conclusion that the games themselves point to. We don't need to see it happen, but it's a very reasonable and safe assumption to make.

I'm in full agreement that showing those events in a game would almost certainly be tonally absurd, don't worry.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

skipThings posted:

As much as I hate all that is darkgrim in the X series, I have to remind you that it started in Megaman7 in which Megaman wants to kill Wily in the end and Bass has to save Wily from him.
So all of this has begun much sooner than X4.
Yeah. It had Mega Man straight up about to execute a pleading Wily. Like "gently caress THIS, YOU'RE JUST GOING TO DO IT AGAIN AND I'M GOING TO END THIS NOW! *charges buster*" Which even as a kid I thought was kinda hosed, knowing about the laws of robotics!

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Hobo Siege posted:

Except, why would Classic era robots bleed? I've generally assumed that was Zero taking apart whatever poor bastards found him in the first place (thus necessitating calling in Sigma and friends to dispatch him as Maverick).

Just because Wily gave the order -- or set the programming -- doesn't mean Zero had the opportunity to carry it out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

skipThings posted:

Also, Classic ended as Wily built Zero instead of eight other robots, but Zero didn't do the poo poo he was supposed to do, as he was a reploid, then Dr.Light copied the reploid technology for X while Zero just hang around places and everyone told Light to stop making robots , also reploids as Wily did it first this time, so Wily got his final two minutes of fame before they both croaked of being really loving old.

centuries later Cain finds deactivated reploids to shoot at things.

[citation needed]

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

taichara posted:

Except, why would Classic era robots bleed?

Robot mech fluid?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

So... At the risk of inciting a horrible train wreck...

Anyone want to make a go of a fan game? One of the things we criticize is a lack of playtesting. There are plenty of us to play test.

I have NO applicable skills outside of some writing experience, but I downloaded Game maker on Steam, so there's that. That's helpful, yes?

Well... some of you might remember, but I actually tried that. It's a HUGE amount of work, and I couldn't really balance it on top of working full time, having a social life and and doing other things.

I'm also the most ADD person in the world and I am totally incapable of finishing any project ever unless you pay me to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well... some of you might remember, but I actually tried that. It's a HUGE amount of work, and I couldn't really balance it on top of working full time, having a social life and and doing other things.

I'm also the most ADD person in the world and I am totally incapable of finishing any project ever unless you pay me to do it.

The soundtrack to that got finished, at least.

It was fun to work on even though it didn't end up going anywhere. And I still like those robot masters and level themes.

Plus it was the first time anyone made fanart of a character I had designed. :allears:

But yeah that's just so much goddamn work you'd need to have nothing else going on to do it within any reasonable sort of timeframe.