Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I still to this day have no idea what the hell is going on at the end of Batman Begins. They're going to activate a vaporizer to blow up the water supply line to spread the hallucinogens? Or was the hallucinogens only at part of the city? If so, what was the point of the hallucinogens in the first place if they could have just vaporized the city anyway? What purpose did Falcone serve if Crane was pushing the drugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

effectual posted:

Last fall was really strong for movies, too. I saw Skyfall 4 times in theaters, plus several other movies. The kkkasual viewers had a lot of options.

Still thinkin about WHD. What other movies are about pre-emptive war? Dr Strangelove and Sum of all Fears come to mind.

The Hunt for Red October and Men In Black.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

VaultAggie posted:

I still to this day have no idea what the hell is going on at the end of Batman Begins. They're going to activate a vaporizer to blow up the water supply line to spread the hallucinogens? Or was the hallucinogens only at part of the city? If so, what was the point of the hallucinogens in the first place if they could have just vaporized the city anyway? What purpose did Falcone serve if Crane was pushing the drugs?

It's been a while since I last saw Batman Begins, but I remember that the hallucinogens were activated by inhalation into the lungs, hence vaporizing. And Falcone, being a big time gangster, was acting as distributor. Crane wasn't moving those drugs on his lonesome. I don't remember if there was a specific reason the vaporizer started in the Narrows other than it being Crane's base of operations, but Liam Neeson was taking it on the monorail to the central water depot with the purpose of spreading it to the entire city (Old Water Tower Exposition Guy helpfully explained this).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Falcone was used because he had the connections to smuggle the drugs in to the country.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Something I didn't understand when I recently rewatched the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven. It's a reeeaaally minor thing but I'm still curious.

Fairly early on in the movie, when the Guy character is introduced, Kevin McKidd's character says "that man will be king in Jerusalem one day". That kind-of makes sense in the theatrical cut, because the princess doesn't have a son in that version, but I don't understand how it's supposed to work in the director's cut when we're told the princess' son is next in line for the throne.

The only way I can make sense of it is if McKidd's character somehow isn't aware that the princess has a son. Am I misunderstanding how succession works, or is it a line that was supposed to be removed from the director's cut, or what?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

peer posted:

Something I didn't understand when I recently rewatched the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven. It's a reeeaaally minor thing but I'm still curious.

Fairly early on in the movie, when the Guy character is introduced, Kevin McKidd's character says "that man will be king in Jerusalem one day". That kind-of makes sense in the theatrical cut, because the princess doesn't have a son in that version, but I don't understand how it's supposed to work in the director's cut when we're told the princess' son is next in line for the throne.

The only way I can make sense of it is if McKidd's character somehow isn't aware that the princess has a son. Am I misunderstanding how succession works, or is it a line that was supposed to be removed from the director's cut, or what?

He just expects that the guy is going to seize power somehow, probably. It's not like succession was anything like unilineal in reality anyway.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

peer posted:

I thought it was due to everyone assuming that he was going to marry the princess.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

DrVenkman posted:

Still, anything is better than an actors face being pasted over a stuntman. Take a look at Public Enemies for that terrible moment where Depp's face gets planted over a stuntman who's doing an INCREDIBLY easy hop over a desk.

Counterpoint stunt story with a face paint: In Jurassic Park when they're crawling through the ducts near the end and Lex falls through and almost gets snapped by a jumping raptor, she looks up at the camera. But it's a stuntwoman doing the fall, so the face swap is an unplanned digital effects shot. It's probably the best shot in the movie because the only effects you THINK you're seeing is the CG raptor.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I watched Enemy at The Gates the other day, and was confused by something at the end. Ed Harris wears his dead son's war medal, was it Jude Law's character who killed him? He said he died in some battle, but I wasn't sure if it was in Stalingrad or not.

Also, what movie is considered to have the worst accents? In Enemy at The Gates the accents were all over the map, and it seemed like some people weren't even trying. I remember some movie with Brad Pitt playing an IRA agent, and he had an atrocious accent. Also Richard Gere in The Jackal. Seems like Irish accents always turn out terrible.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Cameo posted:

Doesn't that have more to do with the fact that Depp basically learned to be Buster Keaton for Benny & Joon and enjoys doing that sort of physical humor?

I mean, how long did Keaton keep that up? He was doing the pratfalls and stuff way too far into old age for little reimbursement - like into his mid-60s, from what I remember.

On one of his last films, A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum, a stuntman did a few running scenes, but Keaton did his own stunt of running into a tree branch and doing a pratfall since it was unscripted.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Also, what movie is considered to have the worst accents? In Enemy at The Gates the accents were all over the map, and it seemed like some people weren't even trying. I remember some movie with Brad Pitt playing an IRA agent, and he had an atrocious accent. Also Richard Gere in The Jackal. Seems like Irish accents always turn out terrible.

I think Hunt for the Red October and K9: The Widowmaker are roundly criticized for having atrocious Russian accents.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I watched Enemy at The Gates the other day, and was confused by something at the end. Ed Harris wears his dead son's war medal, was it Jude Law's character who killed him? He said he died in some battle, but I wasn't sure if it was in Stalingrad or not.

Bizarrely, Wikipedia actually has a page for exactly this, but it's a short list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_accents_considered_the_worst

Dick Van Dyke's Cockney in Mary Poppins is pretty awful, but it's such a silly movie and he's such a ham in it that it's hard for me to be upset about it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Pablo Gigante posted:

Dick Van Dyke's Cockney in Mary Poppins is pretty awful, but it's such a silly movie and he's such a ham in it that it's hard for me to be upset about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhSN4VqXf2k&t=85s

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The Brad Pitt one was The Devil's Own. I still like it for featuring Harrison Ford as a good cop who browbeats a junior officer for starting a huge chase after some schmuck who stole a pack of condoms because he was embarrassed to buy them.

The accent was pretty bad though.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
I'm struggling to find this WWII movie that I saw on the TV once. It was about a theater in Nazi-occupied Europe (possibly Poland or France), where Jewish actors and actresses were being hid from the Nazis. So they hatch a clever plan to hijack Hitler's plane during a performance and fly it to England.

Not sure if British or American production.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

jonnypeh posted:

I'm struggling to find this WWII movie that I saw on the TV once. It was about a theater in Nazi-occupied Europe (possibly Poland or France), where Jewish actors and actresses were being hid from the Nazis. So they hatch a clever plan to hijack Hitler's plane during a performance and fly it to England.

Not sure if British or American production.

To Be or Not to Be

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Thanks!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Can anyone think of any art films about sports/athletes?

Fat City
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068575/

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Oh! And Downhill Racer.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

live with fruit posted:

The only one I can come up with off of the top of my head is The Wrestler.

Million Dollar Baby?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

live with fruit posted:

It's a documentary, but an unusual one "Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In both "The Thief of Bagdad" and "Metropolis," the film begins and ends with an explicit statement of the ostensible moral of the story, which also appears as a dialog intertitle at some point. Was this a very common practice in silent films of the 1920s?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Big Fan comes to mind. Although it's more looking at fandom than the sport.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Mescal posted:

Has anybody seen The Godfather Saga or Godfather: The Complete Epic? Are they poorly edited cash-ins, or worth hunting down?
Ehm...I'd say they are both. I think they kill the pacing and narrative of the originals, but it is just so odd to see the story told in this manner that if you're curious, they can be fun.

live with fruit posted:

Another Aronofsky film: Black Swan.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't quite remember how much (or how little) of it I've seen, I distinctly remember being really scared of the Chucky films. I want to rewatch them, but part of me is too chicken-poo poo to try just because of the potential of me still being a coward and would get scared of em. :(

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

I can't quite remember how much (or how little) of it I've seen, I distinctly remember being really scared of the Chucky films. I want to rewatch them, but part of me is too chicken-poo poo to try just because of the potential of me still being a coward and would get scared of em. :(

I think the first 2 are actually genuinely scary, but the third is "chucky in the future" and they just go campy and funny after that. Bride of Chucky is pretty funny, you get to watch John Ritter get a faceful of nails.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its been a while since I've seen it but I remember the end of 2 being kind of goofy what with the absolute overkill way they defeat Chucky.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
2 has such a fantastic ending in the Good Guy factory, and I love the gruesome effects they used (especially with the hand part).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

In both "The Thief of Bagdad" and "Metropolis," the film begins and ends with an explicit statement of the ostensible moral of the story, which also appears as a dialog intertitle at some point. Was this a very common practice in silent films of the 1920s?
Film was still a pretty new medium in the 1920s, and I imagine they hadn't quite gotten the "show, don't tell" aspect down yet. A lot of silent films are pretty heavy-handed about their themes. I can think of a few other movies that do the same thing, It begins with a quote from the article that inspired the movie, and Modern Times (though only sort of a silent movie) opens with the title card: "'Modern Times'. A story of industry, of individual enterprise - humanity crusading in the pursuit of happiness". So I'm gonna go ahead and say yes, it was a fairly common practice.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Pablo Gigante posted:

Film was still a pretty new medium in the 1920s, and I imagine they hadn't quite gotten the "show, don't tell" aspect down yet. A lot of silent films are pretty heavy-handed about their themes. I can think of a few other movies that do the same thing, It begins with a quote from the article that inspired the movie, and Modern Times (though only sort of a silent movie) opens with the title card: "'Modern Times'. A story of industry, of individual enterprise - humanity crusading in the pursuit of happiness". So I'm gonna go ahead and say yes, it was a fairly common practice.

I've always wondered if it's not really a "show don't tell" thing, so much as a holdover from the impossibly wordy Victorian era from which a lot of silent filmmakers sprang. Griffith, Murnau, and Chaplin's sentimental fetishization of innocent maids and pastural landscapes are also clearly holdovers from that era.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
They still do that now sometimes. This was at the beginning of The Hurt Locker

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Schweinhund posted:

FYI all y'all this is from a really really really great book called War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning that's very much worth reading.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Schweinhund posted:

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life---anybody's life. My life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got?

All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landing there. Use them together. Use them in peace.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

On one of his last films, A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum, a stuntman did a few running scenes, but Keaton did his own stunt of running into a tree branch and doing a pratfall since it was unscripted.

So he was 69/70. Good lord.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Keaton was pretty much the best. I'm not that much for slapstick but something about his totally stoic deadpan expression never breaking no matter what he goes through just really cracks me up.

Bongo Bill posted:

Someday I want to make a vampire movie that starts with the words:
"Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks."
- Karl Marx

Of course the vampires will be a thinly veiled allegory for capitalism and all the characters will be defined by their class like in the Soviet Montage films.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Speaking of Buster Keaton doing his own stunts late in life, he made one short late in his life called The Railrodder, and they made a documentary of the making of the movie that's really cool. You see how he did all the stunts in the movie and how the producers were always worried about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxN0vBqakI8

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

Keaton was pretty much the best. I'm not that much for slapstick but something about his totally stoic deadpan expression never breaking no matter what he goes through just really cracks me up.

Someday I want to make a vampire movie that starts with the words:
"Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks."
- Karl Marx

Of course the vampires will be a thinly veiled allegory for capitalism and all the characters will be defined by their class like in the Soviet Montage films.

Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter was kinda like that, not obvious enough for most americans to get the metaphor though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Modern movies will use quotations and attribute them, but these silent ones used original phrases, so the effect was less that it's transmitting some received moral wisdom and more presenting itself as a source in its own right.

The Victorian influences sound about right as the cause, though. But at least they didn't literally name the films after this stuff. I'm dimly reminded of the title of the 1745 novel Automathes: Or, the Capacity of the Human Understanding; Exemplified in the Extraordinary Case of a Young Nobleman who was Left in His Infancy Upon a Desolate Island, and Continued Nineteen Years in that Solitary State; A Narrative Abounding With Many Surprising Occurrences, Both Useful and Entertaining to the Reader by John Kirkby.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

SubG posted:

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life---anybody's life. My life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got?

All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landing there. Use them together. Use them in peace.

I get the inclusion of the first one, but why the 2010 one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

effectual posted:

Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter was kinda like that, not obvious enough for most americans to get the metaphor though.

Most Americans, and also the rest of the world.